I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What are you playing right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697399)

Fathom Zero Sep 5th, 2011 07:55 PM

It looks like it's gonna be as good as Deadly Premonition. I'm getting B-Game vibes from it.

I'll check it out.

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 5th, 2011 08:00 PM

The thing I'm still skeptical about is that I haven't seen any gameplay on it yet, only cinematics.

Fathom Zero Sep 5th, 2011 08:02 PM

Well there's plenty of gameplay footage, (which I am unable to put here, at the moment.)

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 5th, 2011 08:10 PM

I'll try looking online then, I've been checking the xbox marketplace and they didn't have any up.

darkvare Sep 5th, 2011 08:25 PM

the gametrailers review is up has plenty of gameplay

Dr. Boogie Sep 5th, 2011 08:59 PM

What I'm hearing is that it's fun, but it definitely has that budget title feel to it, along with the distinct feeling that it was rushed out the door.

I'll probably pick up the PC version, for what it's worth.

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 5th, 2011 10:12 PM

Really? I read somewhere that it was supposed to come out in like 2006 or something. Hopefully they would have had enough time to polish it up since then.

I'll check out gametrailers review when I get home too.

Nick Sep 5th, 2011 10:57 PM

Yeah, it's been in dev for aaaages now. I thought it was never going to come out.

OxBlood Sep 6th, 2011 03:07 AM

I havenīt heard anything about bugs from the guys who already have it. All in all it seems to be a very good title if youīre into the whole Zombie-thing and the coop is just the icing on the cake for me :)

I donīt know which character to play though...probably the rapper-guy

k0k0 Sep 6th, 2011 03:12 AM

My question is, can you co-op through the whole game?

kahljorn Sep 6th, 2011 03:12 AM

I've been thinking about picking up dead island as well :D

coop sounds fun but what the hell is it all about?

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 6th, 2011 09:13 AM

It sounds like its 4 player co op the entire game. I saw some video of the gameplay and was kinda disapointed. It looks like age of conan battling(which isn't bad, just not for me in a zombie game). I might be totally lame and get the new dead rising 2 game.

OxBlood Sep 6th, 2011 09:20 AM

In terms of gameplay, Dead Island is a melee-centered survival horror game in an open world enviroment as far as I know. You can hack away at your opponents (watch your stamina), throw things at them or unleash your mighty rage-attacks. Your weapons need to be maintained, firearms are not very common (it´s a holiday resort after all) and fighting the zombies is most of the time not as effective as trying to bypass them as one reviewer put it.

Killing the undead and completing quests (of which there seem to be a lot) nets you XP. Level up and you can put upgrade points into one of 3 skill trees. I don´t know if those trees are unique to each character or if it´s just one. You can also upgrade your weapons via blueprints and money, find collectibles and so on and so forth.

Aparently the game takes around 20-30 hrs to complete and it is playable in coop from start to finish.

...and I still don´t have it which slowly but surely makes me angry.

k0k0 Sep 6th, 2011 09:30 AM

I can get it if I want, but I am just wondering why you would put any points into firearms if it's focused on melee and it'll just hinder you. I'm looking all over online for information about that kind of stuff but nobody explains it.

Fathom Zero Sep 6th, 2011 09:47 AM

Because there are humans you come across that are hostile and will shoot you.

It's Borderlands with guns. And I hated Borderlands.

kahljorn Sep 6th, 2011 03:25 PM

a zombie game without guns just sounds horrible

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 6th, 2011 03:32 PM

I looked at some of the skill trees, they look kind of dumb.

Fathom Zero Sep 6th, 2011 04:35 PM

I just realized I said it was Borderlands with guns, when I meant it completely the opposite. I think I have Alzheimer's.

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 6th, 2011 04:48 PM

FAILZHEIMERS......

:(

King Hadas Sep 6th, 2011 11:17 PM

Bought Saints Row/Saints Rows 2 for twenty bucks. Didn't like the first one at all but the second one is great. The first one uses the GTA concept and becomes an inferior off brand. The second one takes the concept and polishes it to near perfection. SR2 is better than GTA4. Also SR2 has the best character customization of any game I can think of. Your character is evil as fuck as well which is pretty interesting.

Fathom Zero Sep 6th, 2011 11:56 PM

And Cockney accents. Can't go wrong with those.

k0k0 Sep 7th, 2011 03:50 AM

Yeah, saint's row 2 was excellent. My dude was hugely fat with a mullet and I had the slider for his tits just low enough not to become pixelated. He wore a tube top and short shorts. Cockney accent of course. My roommate's character looked like an alien grandma.

OxBlood Sep 7th, 2011 05:42 AM

I played about 4 hours of Dead Island yesterday. This is one good game, let me tell you.

First, it has guns but not many which is awesome because this game somehow manages to create a feeling of dread and threat I haven´t seen in a while. All while the sun shines down on you and the ocean sparkles in the distance. I actually stopped and listend to the survivors cowering in the wooden shacks on the beach, trying to be as quiet a possible, going insane or just losing it crying for their mommy. Those pixelated beings are terrorized and I believe it.

The combat is actually really fun cause it tries to be a little more realistic since you simply won´t HAVE firearms in a place like that (or anyplace outside the US or the middle east for that matter ;)). As a European I can really relate to that, when we think "improvised defense" we think in terms of tools and kitchen appliances :lol

Anyway, combat is fun, the weapons are varied from planks over diving knifes and hammers to deodorant-bombs, they´re moddable, upgradable and they break quickly which adds to the survival aspect of the game since this really is a survival-horror game. You also tactically cripple the Zombies, break or cutt off their lims to slow them down and kick the shit out of them. It´s especially fun to kick them into the pools watching them struggle to get back out :)

The skilltrees look a little bland at first glance but they´re pretty usefull as far as I can tell. Each character has a different focus (and they all have different skill trees mostly), one even functions as a sort of Paladin (for lack of a better word), improving teammates and things like that. Oh and that character also always carries a gun (but she can only use it in Rage-Mode).

Even the quests in this game seem good as they all make sense so far. Fetch medical supplies for the girl bleeding out on the floor, help repair the generators for the lighthouse, look for survivors of a plane crash, things like that.

As far as I can tell from my brief experience with the game, this is a definite must-buy for any Zombie fan :)

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 7th, 2011 12:31 PM

I'm playing as sam b. Just got to the lighthouse. Have you played online at all yet ox?

OxBlood Sep 7th, 2011 01:15 PM

I´m also playing as Sam for now but I guess I´ll play Purna online. Haven´t tried it yet though. My normal Co-op buddy doesn´t have it yet and maybe it´s a good idea to wait for the day1-patch...