I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New Super Mario Bros. Wii (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69702462)

NES Boy Jun 17th, 2009 05:18 AM

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

So it's been weeks since E3. Time to dedicate a topic to Nintendo's upcoming holiday game.

Mario and Luigi are back, and this time, they're joined by two Toads, and all four are raring to go on another adventure through the Mushroom Kingdom.

(note: after hitting play, click on the movie itself because the annotations are too small at this state to be eligable.)

You can see that there are two new power-ups, you can spin-jump again, Yoshi's coming along, and it's the first traditional side scrolling Mario game with simultaneous multi-player.

However, what's NOT in the trailer is the fact that none other than the KOOPALINGS will return to make thing hectic! People playing the demos at E3 found out about this on their own, as two of the ten available stages let you fight Larry and Morton at the end of each. Behold:

Confirmation of some of the most beloved characters to ever grace Mario games? I love you, Nintendo.

stevetothepast Jun 17th, 2009 09:07 AM

this looks fun, maybe now I have a reason to buy a wii, mario kart wii is fun also, I guess.

darkvare Jun 17th, 2009 09:24 AM

i think i'm gonna play it alone i don't like depending on other people if it was online i would be acting like an asshole online but is not so bummer

robo_rob Jun 17th, 2009 05:30 PM

I'm looking forward to this game big time. Very excited for the Koopa kids to return. Hope each one has a dedicated attack instead of each two sharing an attack set up.

LordSappington Jun 18th, 2009 12:11 AM

I lost faith in the Mario genre. :(

Zhukov Jun 19th, 2009 01:04 AM

I'd like to have lost faith in the Mario genre as some sort of payback for Sonic, but I haven't, so I am looking forward to playing this game.

Ant10708 Jun 19th, 2009 10:47 AM

I can't wait for this game. Hopefully we get a whole new catalog of old school style Mario games.

MarioRPG Jun 20th, 2009 12:33 PM

I don't really know if I'm up for new sidescrollers... But it does look pretty good. I don't really understand why they just made "two other toads" the other characters. I'll prolly still pick it up any way.

Ant10708 Jun 20th, 2009 01:08 PM

How could you not want a new Mario side scroller game? Did you not play the New Super Mario Bros for DS? It was amazing and if the Wii game is even half as good we will be in for a real video game treat. Competitive side scrolling mario action will be intense.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 20th, 2009 02:10 PM

Why didn't they just add one toad and put peach as the 4th char?

Ant10708 Jun 20th, 2009 02:29 PM

Because Nintendo is lazy and I imagine you most likely will be saving Peach in the new game so it would not make much sense to have her as a playable character

LordSappington Jun 20th, 2009 03:25 PM

I friggin' hate 3D side-scrollers. They look so cheesy.

Phoenix Gamma Jun 22nd, 2009 11:05 AM

Klonoa 2 would like a word with you :(

FistfulOAwesome Jun 30th, 2009 03:05 AM

I want to say that it absolutely insane that Nintendo went over 15 years without making new 2D Mario games. The 3D Mario games are great, but they aren't a replacement for 2D Mario's. Conan's joke a while ago (where he played of the fact that some internet sites were joking that Conan stole his new set background from Super Mario Bros. Games) is definitive proof that, to the public at large, Mario is a 2D series. There is absolutely no reason why the various games (2D, 3D, RPG, Sports Spin-Offs) can't exist together.

That said, I'm not very excited for NSMBW. I rushed out to get NSMB, and was quite disappointed with how adequate it is. Mario's return to 2D should have been glorious, instead it is O.K. NSMBW doesn't seem to be much of an improvement. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to miss the first 2D Mario game on a console in 18 years. I just hope they actually try for this one (same way I feel about Galaxy 2, actually).

I hope there is a hard mode available. It'll be disappointing to have the Koopalings back, and have them be easy as they are in those videos.

@Darkvare: The game is simultaneously co-op and competitive. It's like the Four Swords games- Help each other through some obstacles, then fight for the points. In other words, you're kinda supposed to be an asshole.

Ant10708 Jul 1st, 2009 12:49 PM

Whats so bad about new super mario bros for ds?

i thought it was alot of fun

Dimnos Jul 1st, 2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FistfulOAwesome (Post 635899)
Conan's joke a while ago (where he played of the fact that some internet sites were joking that Conan stole his new set background from Super Mario Bros. Games) is definitive proof that, to the public at large, Mario is a 2D series.

No it just proves that people see 2D objects as 2D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FistfulOAwesome (Post 635899)
That said, I'm not very excited for NSMBW. I rushed out to get NSMB, and was quite disappointed with how adequate it is. Mario's return to 2D should have been glorious, instead it is O.K. NSMBW doesn't seem to be much of an improvement.

What improvements do you want? 3D?

FistfulOAwesome Jul 1st, 2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant10708
Whats so bad about new super mario bros for ds?

i thought it was alot of fun

Nothing is wrong with it. It's just that little is right with it either.

The new power-ups are a mish-mash of good and bad. The Big Mushroom, the one whose enhancement is pictured right on the box, is worthless. You get to tear through the scenery off a level, but rarely does this accomplish anything. It's fun the first few times until you realize you're just robbing yourself of the level design. The Blue Shell is a great power-up, probably the best in the game. It has one major flaw though: It's activates automatically. You can't run in the thing without having Mario start spinning. Why? They should of made it so it's activated by pressing down. That way you could play normally and only use it when you want. The one that does feel great, The Mini Mushroom, is ultimately irrelevant to actual gameplay. It's only used to unlock secret paths. Otherwise, it doesn't serve any purpose.

Speaking of Secret Paths, how annoying is it that so many require the Blue Shell or Mini Mushroom (short from now on with BSh and MMu)? You end up in a level getting all the Star Coins and Secret Exits, only to find out that you need either the BSh or the MMu. This wouldn't be so annoying if the items were readily available. There are only like 2 levels with MMu's in them and none (that I know of) with BSh's. That's bad game design. Most of the levels in SMB3 and SMW made it possible to pick up whatever power-up you might need within the level in the level itself. DKC 2 is the master of hiding secrets in levels without annoying the player. How did they screw up here?

The music is none too great either. The Main Overworld theme is annoying as hell. The constant chanting is far too obtrusive my focus on the game. The other themes fare a bit better, but are no match for the greatness of the classic games (don't give me a dirty look. Galaxy has an amazing ST. There's no reason why NSMB couldn't have had one too). I do like that the enemies dance to the main theme.

The levels themselves are obviously the big complaint. They are not very interesting as a whole. Occasionally there comes a level that is actually interesting or challenging (like that castle where there are spike balls dropping at you, or the water levels with a Big Bertha enemy giving chase), but for the most part they are just there. I can remember nearly every level from SMB3 and SMW, but very little from NSMB. I don't think that has to do with nostalgia either, since NSMB came out in '06, so I should be waxing nostalgic about some part by now. It's simply adequate level design. Very little stands out, few chances are taken or expanded upon.

I don't hate the game. I had fun with it. The problem is that I can't have fun with it again. SMB3 and SMW are insanely replayable. NSMB isn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimnos
No it just proves that people see 2D objects as 2D.

If you go to an older person and talk about Mario, do you think they'll start talking about Wing Cap's and Charles Martinet's voice, or about Fire Flowers and the Boing Boing sound? Conan certainly remembers him as the Boing Boing sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimnos
What improvements do you want? 3D?

Interesting level design (don't the levels in that preview look to repeat a bit too much? (probably to sustain the experience for multiple players), Great Music, Useful Power-Ups (actually, this one seems to be granted.), and a good feeling Mario (he didn't feel anywhere near as smooth in NSMB as he did in the previous games).

I don't think it's too much to ask for Nintendo's highly paid and talented design teams to be able to beat games that were released over 15 years ago, on inferior hardware, made by like 10 guys.

Dimnos Jul 2nd, 2009 12:16 AM

Me thinks you take things to seriously and look for deeper meaning when there is none. :\

FistfulOAwesome Jul 2nd, 2009 01:45 AM

@Dimnos: On the internet, that could be considered a compliment.

Tadao Jul 2nd, 2009 03:30 AM

On I-Mockey it is considered a warning.

Ant10708 Jul 3rd, 2009 04:58 PM

You use way to many acronyms for me not to get a headache. I only agree with your statement about the secret levels requiring hard to find power ups. If you play the multi player you will freaking love the mega mushroom as it brings fear and almost certain death to your opponent and the mini mushroom is also fun for multi. The mini mushroom could also be used a hard mode if your so annoyed about lack of replay value. I don't remember having any real complaints for the game. I thought it was a good addition to mario's library

FistfulOAwesome Jul 3rd, 2009 05:09 PM

@Ant10708: That's good to hear (that you liked it). Glad someone enjoyed the game. I think we can both agree that they should try to do better, though.

As for the Multiplayer, my brother did tell me that it is quite good. Sadly, I didn't have the chance to play it since we only have one DS and I have no friends. I'll finally get to experience it in NSMBW so I look forward to it being as good as you and my brother have described.

P.S. I never mentioned the game's easiness as a complaint. I don't know where you got that. Certainly, playing the game with the Mini Mushroom (MMu) would be more difficult. It wouldn't change the overall boring/unmemorable levels, which was my main complaint.

robo_rob Jul 6th, 2009 12:45 PM

I wonder if NSMBW will be hard to find at first like the first game was? Apparently EVERYBODY in my area wanted it.

SLjimbolian Jul 26th, 2009 11:59 PM

The 4-player mode sounds very appealing. I'd like to see how the New SMB Wii equates as a party game.

kgp4death Oct 16th, 2009 06:14 PM

New Mario Wii (4 player 2-D Mario)

What do you guys think? I think it looks really fun to play 4 player old-school type Mario glad to see Nintendo finally realizing 2-d is it's own genera and not just 'old style gaming'. here is the trailer some of the powers look a bit gay but the bosses may be really fun with 4 players