I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HEADLINE NEWS (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69704613)

Pentegarn Mar 31st, 2012 12:10 PM

That is either fake or the dumbest thing reported ever.

Besides isn't Santorum pretty much done anyway? It seems Romney has the R nod locked to me.

This will be the second worst election choice wise ever

Dr. Boogie Mar 31st, 2012 01:34 PM

He's a little behind Romney, but I don't think the party wants to back him because he's too upfront about the things they prefer to spring on people once they're in power (reigning in reproductive rights, carrying on about Christians being "persecuted," etc).

The main reason he and the rest hasn't been swept off the field is because Romney can't stop making himself sound like an out-of-touch rich guy.

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 31st, 2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 756839)
Everybody knows that using a pink bowling ball automatically makes a guy a homo.

He's against breast cancer awareness

Tadao Mar 31st, 2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 756849)
That is either fake or the dumbest thing reported ever.

Besides isn't Santorum pretty much done anyway? It seems Romney has the R nod locked to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie (Post 756856)
He's a little behind Romney, but I don't think the party wants to back him because he's too upfront about the things they prefer to spring on people once they're in power (reigning in reproductive rights, carrying on about Christians being "persecuted," etc).

The main reason he and the rest hasn't been swept off the field is because Romney can't stop making himself sound like an out-of-touch rich guy.

Don't forget about the power of having delegates.

Colonel Flagg Apr 1st, 2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 756849)

Oh, I don't know, there have been plenty of stinkers over the past 220+ years.

Tadao Apr 1st, 2012 05:32 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democra...rimaries,_1988

Colonel Flagg Apr 1st, 2012 09:35 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...election,_1964

This was pretty horrible all around, both in the primaries and in the general election. There are many others from before the age of bloggers and CNN. Point is that electing a president is a nasty business, and good candidates are usually too smart to run.

Pentegarn Apr 1st, 2012 11:41 PM

"the second worst election ever" is my standard "these candidates suck" joke (though last election I believe it was Ford v. Carter can't believe how bad our choices are here)

kahljorn Apr 2nd, 2012 02:52 AM

so will anybody on this message board vote for obama? or will you vote for the other dude?

if the economy is doing better imight vote for him but i dunno i didn't vote for him the first timw because i thought his campaign speeches were stupid and I pretty much thought anybody who wanted to vote for him was stupid. Like hope for change. What does that mean. Why would i vote for somebody based on such an ambiguous statement.
also i think its stupid that he did this health care thing. How did Hilary Clinton disguise herself as Obama and win the election?

i wish that one fat guy would've ran who's name i think was something chris christy i dunno maybe. Anyway I don't know anything about what he believes in or anything but id prolly vote for him cause he was fat and happy looking.

Pentegarn Apr 2nd, 2012 10:12 AM

Conan had good fat jokes about that guy. I kind of miss that dude for that if for no other reason

Colonel Flagg Apr 2nd, 2012 10:16 AM

Chris Christie has his own set of problems, not the least of which is his morbid obesity - he's a heart attack waiting to happen.

Colonel Flagg Apr 2nd, 2012 10:17 AM

As a lifelong Pennsylvanian, I am embarassed for the Republican party for taking Rick Santorum seriously.

Colonel Flagg Apr 2nd, 2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 756952)
(... can't believe how bad our choices are here)

Makes you wish for the good old days of George W. Bush vs. Al Gore. :p

Tadao Apr 2nd, 2012 12:01 PM

I think most people don't vote for a president because they found out that popular vote doesn't actually mean jack shit.

kahljorn Apr 3rd, 2012 12:41 AM

doesn't popular vote determine who will win state by state?

popular vote just seems like it doesn't matter since they give votes based on senators/house of representatives and each state automatically receives a certain amount of them with some receiving states a small bonus for having so many people or for owning an entire continenet kind of like risk.

obviously things like this are important so that pro-slavery southerners can have a say in the government

Tadao Apr 3rd, 2012 11:30 AM

popular tells the representative which way the people would like him to vote, but he can vote any which way he wants. When it comes to the final count, I believe electorial vote trumps popular. At least that is what they teach in school. An example would be Bush V Gore. Gore had the popular vote, Bush had the electorial.

Colonel Flagg Apr 3rd, 2012 02:05 PM

The electoral college is anachronistic and needs a major overhaul. Maybe a weighted average or something, but it's stupid to elect a president without a majority of the popular vote.

Tadao Apr 3rd, 2012 03:31 PM

I'm sure there are reasons that the electoral vote is more important. Voter fraud would be my first guess. Of course now it's the other way around. I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run. Votes can be bought.

Colonel Flagg Apr 3rd, 2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 757037)
Voter fraud

:lol

kahljorn Apr 4th, 2012 02:58 AM

its the only way to give each of the states a somewhat equal say in the government, which pretty much all goes back to white slave owners being outpopulated by white northerners. Theoretically you could also argue it's because people are stupid, you don't want them controlling everything, and so they need a check and balance too.

also with that whole experiment of the states thing where each states can have its own laws more or less. If each state didn't have that level of representation, then its state-wide laws could too easily be negated at a federal level.
For example, everybody could vote against abortion and it would be illegal everywhere.

Tadao Apr 4th, 2012 04:09 AM

I think I'm going to start voting Libertarian or whatever in hopes that more people do too and we can get a strong 3rd party of assholes going.

kahljorn Apr 4th, 2012 11:35 AM

We need to start some memes about voting 3rd party because that's how politics in america works

Zhukov Apr 4th, 2012 11:38 PM

Why does the US election go forever?

kahljorn Apr 5th, 2012 04:36 PM

it doesn't go forever people just talk about it startng a year and a half before it even happens

its sort of like how they start selling easter supplies around christmas

Tadao Apr 5th, 2012 04:42 PM

This election season it started 1 year after Obama took office. Dumb asses only fucked themselves over because it was 3 years of pointing out all the flaws in the republican party. People who hate ******s never really think of future consequences though.