I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics 'n Books (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   WHAT are you reading right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2594)

Fathom Zero Dec 6th, 2010 05:08 PM

Ever read Roadside Picnic, Zhukov?

Shadowdancer21b Dec 6th, 2010 08:10 PM

Just finished "Nigh Omnipotent" by A. Lee Martinez. It was okay. Kind of a mediocre book really. He's done much better than this. 2/5.

Zhukov Dec 7th, 2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 706669)
Ever read Roadside Picnic, Zhukov?

No, but I will if you recommend it.

Fathom Zero Dec 7th, 2010 09:43 AM

It was what the film Stalker and those STALKER games were based on.

I always loved the idea of Pripyat as an artificial, alien place, so I dug into it. I've not read it in a while, so I can't remember how dense it was. I remember enjoying it a bit, though. I think there's a PDF on Google Books of the entire thing.

Shadowdancer21b Dec 8th, 2010 12:56 PM

Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub, sequel to the Talisman. Good read, but King gets rambly.

Fathom Zero Dec 8th, 2010 07:37 PM

I hated Black House. :\

10,000 Volt Ghost Dec 9th, 2010 10:30 AM

The little match girl by Hans Anderson :(

Shadowdancer21b Dec 10th, 2010 10:52 PM

I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land again. One of my favorite books. Also, I really didn't like the end of Black House. It was just...a dumb ending.

monster_movie_night Dec 10th, 2010 11:33 PM

just started reading a manga called bio meat:nectar

King Hadas Dec 19th, 2010 08:44 AM

Dune! Where have you been all my life.

Has anyone here got an opinion on Brian Herbert's continuation of the series? I'm on Children of Dune and I can see his books waiting in the distance, making me nervous. What are they like?

Shadowdancer21b Dec 23rd, 2010 01:57 AM

CTHULHU the Mythos and Kindred Horrors written by Robert Howard. These stories are pretty cool, considering that they are Cthulhu stories written by the creator of Conan.

Zhukov Jan 1st, 2011 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Hadas (Post 708169)

Has anyone here got an opinion on Brian Herbert's continuation of the series? I'm on Children of Dune and I can see his books waiting in the distance, making me nervous. What are they like?

Can't help you but I've been meaning to get into the Dune series. Haven't found the first one around, so I've put it off.

I just finished Starship Troopers, which was good, and amazing when you consider when it was written. I read it entirely while lying on grass in the sun.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jan 1st, 2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Hadas (Post 708169)

My friend has read through them and said the continuation ones are pretty good too. Worth reading at least.

wizbenny Jan 3rd, 2011 11:19 PM

Currently reading the latest "Wheel of Time."

I didn't say this about the last one because I had no way of knowing how much Robert Jordan had written before he passed... but now I must say that the editors did choose a fairly good replacement. He has the tone, voice and pacing of Robert Jordan down.

Unfortunately... he has the PACING of Robert Jordan down...

Seriously... could they beat the same dead horses over and over and over again in this series? And I swear that it seems halfway through the series they got bored with the lead character and just gave up on him. It's the only series I've ever seen where the protagonist starts becoming a MINOR character! He's a set piece.

At least with the George Martin "Songs of Ice and Fire" series it was ALWAYS an ensemble narrative.

Zhukov Jan 6th, 2011 10:30 AM

Think my brother is reading that.

Das Krapital just arrived in the mail. It's a skid-marxist leviathan.

captain516 Jan 11th, 2011 02:13 AM

A Confederacy Of Dunces
It's weird to imagine socially awkward manchildren before the internet, but apparently they existed:eek

10,000 Volt Ghost Jan 11th, 2011 09:05 AM

Hell's Angels by Thompson.

Fathom Zero Jan 12th, 2011 02:04 AM

Finished Ham on Rye. Bukowski is more depressing than I'd originally thought.

kahljorn Jan 17th, 2011 03:37 AM

what is roadside picnic about? does the movie follow it pretty closely?

cause ive watched the STALKER movie and im not sure what to think about what happened :lol but i usually end up falling asleep when i watch it

Zhukov Jan 17th, 2011 08:43 AM

It seems every second thing out of Russia is a post apocalyptic nightmare. There must be three different STALKER settings at least.

Fathom Zero Jan 17th, 2011 09:32 AM

Russia's not really a happy place. :\

kahljorn Jan 17th, 2011 03:55 PM

so nothing about roadside picnic/ stalker the movie? :(

Spoilers!

King Hadas Jan 19th, 2011 06:55 PM

Finished the last Frank Herbert Dune novel which, hilariously, is the only book in the series to end in a cliffhanger. I then tried one of his son's continuations of the series Hunters of Dune. I've been worried about these continuations chiefly because the appeal of Dune isn't really the cast or the world they in habit but how Frank tells the story. I worried another writer might miss this and I was right to worry. Also Brian and his friend Kevin are terrible writers. No offense to 10,000 Volt Ghost's friend but this shit is garbage.

Esuohlim Jan 20th, 2011 01:58 AM

I'm finally reading Ender's Game, and I'm about a third of the way through. I like it so far, but it's not the amazing piece of literature I expected, at least not yet of course. The whole "smug little supergenius who is better than everyone at everything" thing is a bit annoying, especially since I have a few buddies who actually believe that they're Ender in real life.

executioneer Jan 20th, 2011 04:14 AM

just finished game-players of titan (p.k. dick)

not recommended for paranoids