I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Most overrated game ever. (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69699023)

Samfucius Feb 11th, 2008 11:50 PM

Most overrated game ever.

In terms of letdown, I'm going to go with Silent Hill 2. Everyone I knew kept telling me it was awesomely creepy and really intense, but I played through and never got more than mildly interested. Of course, this may just mean I have retarded friends.

Anyways, what's yours?

Guitar Woman Feb 12th, 2008 12:02 AM

TALES. OF. SYMPHONIA.

>:

Also, I didn't enjoy SH2 either.

Codiekitty Feb 12th, 2008 12:17 AM

How about my Top 20?

Grossenschwamm Feb 12th, 2008 12:27 AM

Overhyped? Damn, that's a tough one...just kidding.
Halo 2. What the hell was up with that game? Yeah the graphics are great for the Xbox, yeah it's got great gameplay and replay value, but the storyline of the game seems like it was an accident.

Oh, and SH2 was pretty lame. Everything was telegraphed, so you could expect a scare if you already understood the genre.

executioneer Feb 12th, 2008 12:28 AM

i thought resident evil 0 was awfully overrated, myself

Emu Feb 12th, 2008 12:58 AM

what the fuck is with the SH2 hate

Yeah it's gonna look shitty if you go back and play it today, but in its time it was fcking awesome

WoW is overrated by buckets!

Grossenschwamm Feb 12th, 2008 01:08 AM

I thought it was bad even when it came out. When I played it on the PS2 almost six years ago, I could say then that I was unimpressed. I'm not talking about how it looked, because I always look at gameplay first. Its gameplay was dependant on scares. It had none, for me, so I thought it was bad.

But, yeah, WoW is definitely overrated in some aspects. It can't be too horrible if 8 million people still pay to play it, though...

Angryhydralisk Feb 12th, 2008 01:16 AM

Halo 2 and Final Fantasy 7 are total givens.

The closest I can think of besides those is maybe Suikoden, Chrono Cross, and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. Lots of characters + RPGS are hard to make work.

By the way, that top 20 list has some interesting inductions, but is kinda shite IMO.

Emu Feb 12th, 2008 01:18 AM

I think I actually like Chrono Cross better than Chrono Trigger. :\

Guitar Woman Feb 12th, 2008 01:30 AM

Final Fantasy 7's a good game :(

Emu Feb 12th, 2008 01:42 AM

I have two copies of it. :\

Samfucius Feb 12th, 2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emu (Post 531396)
what the fuck is with the SH2 hate

Yeah it's gonna look shitty if you go back and play it today, but in its time it was fcking awesome

WoW is overrated by buckets!

I do completely, without a doubt agree with you on the WoW thing, but I would like to say that the graphics were not what made me annoyed with silent hill 2. It just seemed boring to me. The enemies weren't scary. End of story. Maybe they made some people crap their pants, but for me, no dice. Especially the zombie things at the beginning. When they started slithering around on the ground, I actually died once because of how rediculously funny the whole concept/animation was. It literally made me laugh so hard I dropped my controller. To conclude, I'd really like to say that I didn't hate the game. Really. I just thought it was overhyped.

Oh yeah, final thought: I know the whole "no health bar on screen so you have to feel for the vibration of your heatbeat" thing was kinda cool; actually, it was pretty damn cool, but when I really needed to know my health, I absolutely loathed pausing the game every 30 seconds.

Pub Lover Feb 12th, 2008 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grossenschwamm (Post 531401)
It can't be too horrible if 8 million people still pay to play it, though...

36 million people in the US live below the poverty line, so it can't be that bad.

Emu Feb 12th, 2008 02:41 AM

And how many of them are WoW players?

Great Mighty Poo Feb 12th, 2008 03:37 AM

Fable. So much buildup, such a letdown.

Fat_Hippo Feb 12th, 2008 06:03 AM

Mafia: Everyone kept telling me how great the story is bla bla bla. But here's the thing: Without good gameplay, the story is nothing, and Mafia plays like a poor mans GTA. I wouldn't call it bad, but the story, which hasn't overwhelmed me yet either, can't do everything, and I found many missions to be a pain in the ass. I'm probably still gonna finish the game, since I've only got 2 missions left, but I doubt very much I'm ever playing it again.

Fathom Zero Feb 12th, 2008 07:38 AM

Super Smash Brothers: Melee

Esuohlim Feb 12th, 2008 08:36 AM

Guitar Hero

Girl Drink Drunk Feb 12th, 2008 08:59 AM

The New Super Mario Bros. Not bad, but it wasn't close to being SMB or SMB 3 great.

terrva Feb 12th, 2008 09:27 AM

Oh boy, have i got a few:

- Devil May Cry series. Stupid and corny stories, equally stupid and corny characters. Not even so stupid and corny it's funny, but just stupid and corny.
- Metal Gear Solid series. Same as above, plus crappy gameplay.
- Every JRPG ever made. Same as above.
- Guitar Hero series. Yeah, it's pretty fun with your friends after a couple of beers, but not that fun.
- Every goddamn RTS ever, especially Starcraft. One sentence sums the whole genre up perfectly: "ZERG RUSH KEKEKE ^______^"
- Diablo. Boring hack'n'slash with insanely repetitious gameplay.
- Killer 7. It just sucks.

Feel free to internet kick my internet ass.

Chojin Feb 12th, 2008 09:55 AM

Bioshock. By LEAPS AND BOUNDS.

Codiekitty Feb 12th, 2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrva (Post 531447)
- Killer 7. It just sucks.

Gee, now I feel kind of bad about saying your avatar looked like Mask de Smith.

Although I also hated that game, but I can't say I hated everything about it (I have the Rave On on a CD in my car)

Guitar Woman Feb 12th, 2008 11:03 AM

Killer 7 is fantastic, you shut your whore mouth

WhiteRat Feb 12th, 2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 531452)
Bioshock. By LEAPS AND BOUNDS.

Gotta agree with you on this one. After an hour of so of playing it I got pretty bored and quit.

Dr. Boogie Feb 12th, 2008 12:14 PM

Doom 3

I thought it was a decent game, but people were talking like it was one of the greatest, and reviewers were giving it ratings in the 90s. The game wasn't that scary, people. There were some good audio logs, but how many times can you have an imp jump at you through the door you just opened before it stops being scary? At one point, I just firing my shotgun as soon as the doors opened, and most of the time, I actually would hit and kill one of them.

The graphics were good, but there's more to a good game than just graphics.

I remember PC Gamer but a short article about it in their editorials because they kept getting flak for giving the game a 90-something rating. They said there were two camps on the issue: those who liked the game, and those who didn't "get it". I "got" that they had some big ads in your magazine, PC Gamer, but I still didn't like the game that much.