I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Army of Darkness (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69698812)

Ninjavenom Jan 17th, 2008 11:42 AM

Army of Darkness

I just saw this last night. It fucking sucked ass. What is everyone's fascination with this movie? Was it better when you were a kid or something?

Emu Jan 17th, 2008 11:42 AM

I like this movie, but I can't really justify it aside from that it has Bruce Campbell in it.

Mockery Jan 17th, 2008 12:41 PM

What exactly didn't you like about it, Ninjavenom? Granted, it's overquoted by fanboys which can diminish how entertaining it is, but it's still a fun movie. Evil Dead 2 is by far the best of the trilogy if you ask me, but that doesn't mean AOD sucked or anything. I loved his quest to go find the book of the dead probably more than anything in it.

Looking forward to "My Name Is Bruce" as well...

Grislygus Jan 17th, 2008 12:45 PM

It's camp, fuck

Reminds me of the little kids whining about Ghostbusters when our local theatre played it

Spetsnaz Jan 17th, 2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjavenom (Post 524510)
I just saw this last night. It fucking sucked ass. What is everyone's fascination with this movie? Was it better when you were a kid or something?

You sir, have no soul.

AlliSabbah Jan 17th, 2008 02:10 PM

I was an adult when this movie came out. Thankd for making me feel old. :(

MarioRPG Jan 17th, 2008 05:23 PM

I'm just in it for the cult following, I'm sure if I had no prior knowledge of it I would have not thought it was very good. However, there is no denying the badass of the chainsaw arming sequence.

King Hadas Jan 17th, 2008 05:50 PM

As Gris said Aod is all about campy fun. The second one mixes comedy and horror together better than anything else I've ever seen while the third one is just pure goof ball comedy which can be pretty easy to hate. I can't imagine anyone not being disappointed in AoD after seeing Evil Dead 2, lucky for me I saw them in a reverse order; third, first, and then the second one.

Guitar Woman Jan 17th, 2008 05:53 PM

I have similar feelings toward the movie, actually.

The first 30 minutes of the movie were completely awesome and the perfect blend of cheesey effects and badass one-liners, but after he sets out to get the book it's just really stupid.

I still sort of enjoyed it, but it's not the tour-de-force everyone hails it as.

Grislygus Jan 17th, 2008 06:10 PM

I've never met anybody who would call a Campbell movie a "tour de force".

Guitar Woman Jan 17th, 2008 06:15 PM

Rog and Maddox, for two

WhiteRat Jan 17th, 2008 08:29 PM

I think it's a pretty entertaining movie but not as amazing as some people claim it to be.

Then again, what do I know? I think Baby's Day Out was robbed of an Academy Award!

Girl Drink Drunk Jan 17th, 2008 09:10 PM

Im just an average Evil Dead fan, and I thought it was a classic. Don't let guys like Spetnaz and the generic zombie posse ruin it for you guys.

Tadao Jan 17th, 2008 09:13 PM

I was very high when I first watched it. So it was great the first time.

Ninjavenom Jan 17th, 2008 09:55 PM

Well, it's not the worst movie i've seen or anything, but i was pretty disappointed after i watched it. Teaching the medieval warriors to fight with the staves, the cheap special effects, mercilessly corny dialogue, and the ridiculous zombie-destroying car just didn't really do it for me. I don't really like (non-gory) camp in my movies, though, so i guess that can be said in the movie's defense. I'm not a huge Evil Dead fan, either. I hated the first movie, so i dread to see the second one ;_;. I just expected it to be a little more over the top and less tame, i guess.

King Hadas Jan 17th, 2008 10:38 PM

Dude, even though I liked the first and third Evil Dead they are both complete garbage compared to the second one. Your really missing out not watching it.

Emu Jan 18th, 2008 11:18 AM

If you didn't like the first one, don't see the second one. It's the same movie, just with a comedy twist put on it.

Fatacula Jan 18th, 2008 02:38 PM

I would have to agree with King Hadas, give Evil Dead 2 a chance and it might even improve your opinion of AOD. Its the same campy fun, but thats what Bruce Campbell does so well! :)

Spetsnaz Jan 18th, 2008 02:56 PM

Eh, its not a movie for everyone, especially in this day and age of shit movies.

I suppose the only reason I like the Evil Dead movies and Army of Darkness, etc. is because I was exposed to them at a REALLY young age.

Then again, while I can't sit through an entire sittng of ANY of those movies anymore ( I know the scripts by heart... ), they are still fucking hilarious.

Obscurus Lupa Jan 20th, 2008 11:05 PM

I'm not sure why you would be watching Army of Darkness when you were really young. Maybe the sex jokes went over your head, but my parents probably wouldn't want me watching it.

Army of Darkness (though I like it just as much as any other Evil Dead fan), in my opinion, has nothing to do with the first two movies at all. It's not horror (yeah, there's an army of deadites, but it's NOT horror), there's barely any blood, and there's little-to-no possessions. Also, he isn't crying over Linda, but I suppose that's an improvement if he's going to be a badass. I don't think of it as an extension of Evil Dead, and I'm fine with it. I just view it as a really camp action movie starring Bruce freakin' Campbell.

Evil Dead II was the best one, for sure. It's not like the first one because the first one didn't have a chainsaw hand or crazy hicks with bad teeth. Oh, and no laughing deer head.

Hangie Jan 20th, 2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjavenom (Post 524510)

Yea im a kid, but I actually saw it for the first time last halloween and I thought it was pretty funny.

Madman914 Jan 20th, 2008 11:23 PM

AOD seems to be the most quotable of the three, plus it had the bigger budget which made too commercial and quirky. Evil Dead II though is something not to be missed. Inanimate object laughing maniacally, a brand new Linda, Ted Raimi in a old lady fat suit, what's not to love?

Obscurus Lupa Jan 21st, 2008 12:37 PM

Let's not forget: "BOBBY JOE!!!"

Madman914 Jan 21st, 2008 04:50 PM

He had ,what, five maybe six teeth?

MetalMilitia Jan 21st, 2008 05:28 PM

I like the second one but the third is, as you say, really dreadful. It's not funny, gory or bad enough to enjoy. :/