I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics 'n Books (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   WHAT are you reading right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2594)

captain516 Sep 23rd, 2010 02:20 AM

Batmanga-The Secret History of Batman In Japan

Zomboid Sep 26th, 2010 10:25 AM

Going to finish Hellboy vol. 10 and then MAYBE start Under the Dome. It's a biiiig fucker.

captain516 Sep 28th, 2010 07:55 PM

Batmanga kinda sucked.:( Still worth reading for the novelty, though.

Zhukov Sep 29th, 2010 03:44 AM

I'm eating fried rice off of a bus time-table with a steak knife.

MLE Sep 29th, 2010 03:51 AM

Wrong thread

The Doctor Sep 29th, 2010 06:19 AM

Treasure Island found a copy of it and Tom Sawyer in my parents basement, so i figured I would give them a read. I am enjoying Treasure Island it has obvious plot twists but an enjoyable read.

Shadowdancer21b Sep 29th, 2010 11:14 PM

I'm reading "A Dirty Job" by Christopher Moore. It's a bit emotional but still some laughs to be found. Not one his best though.

Zhukov Sep 30th, 2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLE (Post 699343)
Wrong thread

Even after reading the last two pages, I still felt the need to get it wrong :(

MLE Sep 30th, 2010 04:10 AM

I respect that.

Dr. Boogie Oct 16th, 2010 02:42 PM

Just finished reading "A Dark Sacrifice", a fantasy novel I picked out of the bargain bin at Borders.

It was a surprisingly interesting read, and it ended on a big cliffhanger. Unfortunately, when I say it "ended", I mean it really ended. It didn't sell well, so the author never wrote any more books in the series. So nothing was ever wrapped up.

How's that legal?

The Doctor Oct 16th, 2010 08:39 PM

Just picked up The Kitchen Readings: Untold Stories of Hunter S Thompson

Shadowdancer21b Oct 16th, 2010 10:41 PM

Reading "Chill Factor". A novel in the Deathlands series by James Axler. Not highbrow by any means, but entertaining. Also avoid the Deathlands movie. It's a Syfy original and therefore blows.

Zomboid Oct 18th, 2010 08:38 PM

Finished Under the Dome a little over a week ago. It was pretty gosh-darned good!

Zhukov Oct 21st, 2010 03:23 AM

That's good!

I'm reading Guantanamo, by David Hicks. He was an Australian wrongly detained in Guantanamo Bay for 6 years and tortured. It's pretty horrible the stuff they did to him, and I feel really ashamed that this kind of thing goes on.

Shadowdancer21b Nov 14th, 2010 12:36 PM

Red Dwarf by Grant Naylor. Yes this novel inspired the series, and yes, there are differences. The novel has a considerably darker tone. I mean really, really much grimmer. The characters are identical in their portrayal however, so that was good to see. I hate it when characters get changed in the transition, but Naylor wrote the television script too, so we saw none of that. Much of the book is in the series, but it goes more into Lister's backstory and also there is quite a bit that didn't make it into the series, such as the evolution of the cats and what their holy war was about (not the color of the hats at the hotdog stand, but rather the name of Holy Mother Frankenstein's protector and their savior. Cloister or Clister.) It was an entertaining read, but I was depressed at the end. It's very well written too. So I give it four out of five.

Fathom Zero Nov 14th, 2010 02:20 PM

Found my copy of Love All The People. It's funny, reading stand-up bits.

Esuohlim Nov 14th, 2010 02:40 PM

I read through Deadeye Dick in one sitting this morning. IT IS NOT ABOUT DICKS. Recommended

Fathom Zero Nov 14th, 2010 02:48 PM

derecommended

Esuohlim Nov 14th, 2010 04:57 PM

Pffft

kahljorn Nov 14th, 2010 05:20 PM

Dickommended

Zhukov Nov 22nd, 2010 06:48 AM

Metro 2033. I heard it was 'alright' but not great, but the allure of a Russian author sucked me in. It's alright so far.

It has the usual Russian literary charm involving lots of exclamation marks and oft lost in translation descriptive writing, but there's a good portion of the book where the author must have gotten bored and just decided to skip ahead with the story and not bother writing about boring bits or things that must have been too difficult to explain, or that he couldn't figure out continuation for.

Ex Leper Nov 30th, 2010 11:50 PM

I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas the newest book by Lewis Black

executioneer Dec 1st, 2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhukov (Post 704873)
Metro 2033. I heard it was 'alright' but not great, but the allure of a Russian author sucked me in. It's alright so far.

It has the usual Russian literary charm involving lots of exclamation marks and oft lost in translation descriptive writing, but there's a good portion of the book where the author must have gotten bored and just decided to skip ahead with the story and not bother writing about boring bits or things that must have been too difficult to explain, or that he couldn't figure out continuation for.

how's it compare to the game

Zhukov Dec 1st, 2010 08:42 AM

Well I haven't played the game, but my brother has it and he's going to lend it to me or copy it or whatever.

It got better towards the end, then a bit stupid, then alright, then good, then it was over. The book, that is.

Dr. Boogie Dec 6th, 2010 03:45 PM

Just started reading Be Ready When the Sh*t Goes Down.

I never expected a book by two MMA fighters to be this funny. If fighting doesn't work out for Forrest Griffin, he could be the next Maddox.