I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   50 books this year (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25571)

glowbelly Mar 30th, 2007 11:41 PM

50 books this year

i'm trying to read 50 books this year and here's what i've read so far:

1. moby dick - melville
2. still life with woodpecker - drrrr name not coming to me right now, by the dude who wrote even cowgirls get the blues
3. a fine balance - rohinton mistry
4. wicked - gregory maguire
5. one hundred years of solitude - gabriel garcia marquez
6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. harry potter books
12. the oxbow incident - walter van tilburg clark
13. heidi - johanna spyri
14. northern lights - phillip pullman
15. a wrinkle in time - madeleine l'engle
16. beloved - toni morrison (again)
17. memories of my meloncholy whores - gabriel garcia marquez
18. the fall and rise of delores vauxhall mcbride - joshua chafin (jeager s. meistersen)

more to follow...

kahljorn Mar 30th, 2007 11:45 PM

I've recommended this before, but if you are buying books, I recommend anything by John Fante :(

Esuohlim Mar 31st, 2007 04:22 PM

You forgot a Harry Potter book in there :o

glowbelly Mar 31st, 2007 07:08 PM

i haven't gotten it yet! daphne is sending it over from canadnanda land for my son's birthday. i have to read it first to make sure it is appropriate for a two year old ;)

Womti Mar 31st, 2007 07:42 PM

read oliver twist by charles dickens :(

GADZOOKS Apr 1st, 2007 06:08 AM

did you just read that in high school, wotwoman?

Womti Apr 1st, 2007 12:49 PM

aactually I did, gaddy zookazooks

glowbelly Apr 1st, 2007 06:16 PM

i've read oliver twist at least 4 times. some other teenage boy come in here and tell me to read catcher in the rye, PUHHHHLEEEEEASE?

executioneer Apr 1st, 2007 06:42 PM

what about a day no pigs would die or to kill a mockingbird :eek

theapportioner Apr 2nd, 2007 01:23 AM

Read books by J.M. Coetzee (anything, really), Orhan Pamuk (My Name is Red), Don Delillo (Underworld)...

Womti Apr 3rd, 2007 10:01 AM

I cant actually read

Cliff Steele Apr 3rd, 2007 10:14 AM

you should read jonathan strange and mr. norrell by Susanna Clark if you are into the harry potter books, it is about two magicians in the 1800's reviving magic in England, it's a really fun book, and it blends the story with history, they are used by the government in the war with France

kahljorn Apr 4th, 2007 11:31 PM

catcher in the rye is a good book ;O

Fathom Zero Apr 5th, 2007 05:19 PM

The Phantom Tollbooth.

sloth Apr 7th, 2007 09:57 AM

some of my favourite books:

dostoevsky - the idiot
bukowski - post office
conrad - heart of darkness
cocteau - the miscreant
suskind - perfume (forget that godawful movie)

and if you're running out of time, anything by gogol, luis borges, kafka and e.t.a. hoffman.

glowbelly Apr 8th, 2007 08:40 PM

the only writer i'd read more of off that list is bukowski and that's just because i love the movie 'barfly.'

i forgot to add a book, so i added it up there. see if you can find it!

ps: actually, i added 2 :eek

executioneer Apr 9th, 2007 02:44 AM

read some old agatha christie mysteries!

kahljorn Apr 11th, 2007 08:04 PM

i just watched barfly the other day that is a really good movie there's supposed to be a new documentary about him soon

"I hate plants"

also if you like bukowski again you'd like john fante since bukowski basically got his writing style from john fante and was bukowskis favorite writer.

FartinMowler Apr 20th, 2007 07:22 PM

Barfly :lol

executioneer Apr 20th, 2007 10:20 PM

i always thought that was the adverb form of "barfy" :(

Zomboid Apr 27th, 2007 06:31 AM

Andy: And check this out - I found this movie called "Barfully!"
Posey: Andy, I think that movie is actually called "BarFLY!"
Andy: Not 'barfully' like the adjective?
Kevin: 'Barfully' is not a word, and if it were, it would be an adverb, as in 'the sewage oozed barfully.'

ahh I miss mission hill :(

glowbelly May 22nd, 2007 10:13 PM

i added 3 more so nyah. i'll add the dubliners by james joyce in a couple of days (hopefully). then i think i'll be attacking portrait of an artist as a young man just for the hay of it.

kahljorn May 28th, 2007 03:53 AM

add the road to los angeles by john fante. He is very easy to read, much like Kurt Vonnegut. I read his book overnight.

i read that again yesterday it's a good book about LIFE. I think him and Dostoevsky are some of the most realistic writers I have ever read. Very few other writers can write believable characters, that seem to be real and have real psychologies. Probably both of these writers are so realistic because they write about themselves.
Right now I'm reading Kafka's the trial and he's so fucking boring i hate him so far why do people like him? It is an intriguing book but still irritating and if I saw kafka writing this book i would punch him in the face.

alright the first quarter or third of the trial is shit. I don't know if it's because I have a bad translation or what, but the common dialogue is so horrible. Now that I'm almost done with it, it has gotten better, and it strikes me as hilarious that all the courts are in attics :lol when this guy talks to him he says that there's scarcely an attic in town that doesn't have a court of inquiry in it.

glowbelly May 29th, 2007 05:40 AM

kahl, i shall read this book that you suggest, but you have to do me a favor:

read either infinite jest by david foster wallace, or beloved by toni morrison. those are 2 of my all time faves.

it'll be like we traded smartsies.

kahljorn May 29th, 2007 05:49 AM

awesome. I'll check out infinite jest because toni morrison's writing style reminds me of children's books.
i think you'll probably like it. Hopefully I'm not suggesting something that you will take as utter shit :o