I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   The Halloween Grab Bag: Your Guide To The Great Old Ones (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69700654)

MockBot Sep 22nd, 2008 03:34 AM

The Halloween Grab Bag: Your Guide To The Great Old Ones

Automatically generated comment thread for The Halloween Grab Bag: Your Guide To The Great Old Ones.

RaNkeri Sep 22nd, 2008 04:16 AM

Freaking awesome, Iä!

Fat Ugly Drunk Sep 22nd, 2008 05:21 AM

Good read, I liked the summary for Nyarl

OxBlood Sep 22nd, 2008 07:52 AM

Always nice to see the whole bunch of them...I really love the mythos and I think it would be an addition to the universe if they were a fact :D

I mean, what´s better

"The Universe is a big boring empty space devoid of all kind of life"

or

"The universe is full of beings from beyond sanity, so twisted an alien that it LITERALLY blows your mind. Be ever watchful of the skies, for they are always there...watching...waiting *twitches*"

Iä.

dakotacruz Sep 22nd, 2008 08:04 AM

Hastur the Unspeakable

Is it just me or does this dude look like he's wearing the lampshade?
Evil and a total dick when he's drinking!

I have an Aunt Hester, which is the way I pronounce the Unpseakable's same...by far the least scariest fella on the list. oh! Unless that big purple octopus is backing him up, then more scarier

McFly Sep 22nd, 2008 10:26 AM

I agree with dakotacruz on Hester, as he seems about as scary as an Ewok. The octopus behind him makes me think that he is either a Pokemon trainer or resorts to some very odd magic. How intimidating would it be to have an Octopus coming at you, especially one that looks as lame as the purple one in the picture.

As for the rest; Azathoth looks like it is playing a concert (in a non-color world) attended by a lot of the townsfolk. Cthulhu is playing with his toy sailboat (who new he was such a softy?). Ithaqua seems to be the coolest of the bunch with glowing eyes and severed head. The wendigo is supposedly supposed to drive people insane and make them cannibals, so he does not seem like much of a people person. Nyarlathotep looks like he got the raw deal when it came to him. Not having an eyes and mouth can make anyone a little cranky. Even in the picture, it looks like he is getting bitched by the trees. Ol’ Shub may want to join Yog-Soruth and Yig (who looks like a bad Jurassic park reference) and start a rock and roll band. Shub already has the groupies, so music talent is not much of a necessity. Just don’t put Yig on vocals as his lisp may get in the way.

Durin Sep 22nd, 2008 11:46 AM

McFly, That isn't a toy boat, Cthulhu is just that big.

Finn Sep 22nd, 2008 12:40 PM

Actually, the big purple octopus IS Hastur. The King in Yellow is just one of Hasturs avatars. The god/thing itself likes to spend its time doing pretty much what Cthulhu is, sleeping in a large body of water. Luckily, however, the body of water Hastur resides in is somewhere near the star Aldebaran. I got this information from the CoC Core rulebook for, i think, 6th edition.

dakotacruz Sep 22nd, 2008 12:50 PM

Even a giant octopus isn't terribly scarey, being on land and he's defeated!!
And yellow, poor choice of color, not menacing enough

BUT I always focus on the lampshade, kinda of like Mushmouth

moving on, Yig looks like he's in the DnD monster manual!

But Shub-Niggurath is really scarey!!

the Platinum Poppy Sep 22nd, 2008 01:57 PM

Hm, how many of these actually appear in Lovecroft's writings? Nyarlathotep, Azathoth, Cthulu, Yog-sothot and Shub-niggurath for sure, but the rest? I'm pretty certain that in his actual writings it was Nyarlathotep that went around in a yellow robe posing as a nameless priest in some realm that Randolph Carter stumbled into, not some guy named Hastur. But as the wise proto pointed out, it's pretty menacing to have an easy name like Hastur and THEN tell you that you shouldn't say it.
Lovecroft was wise enough to never describe what his monsters looked like. But still, enough is said about Azathoth to make associations to American Idol almost inevitable...

Angryhydralisk Sep 22nd, 2008 02:42 PM

Great stuff. Makes me want to go read some more Lovecraft.

HeroliciousDeBlanc Sep 22nd, 2008 02:56 PM

Lovecraft and the gang sure like their tentacles.Ithaqua and Yig are the only ones without, and even Yig has those tentacle like head-dealies.

caffman Sep 22nd, 2008 02:56 PM

AAAAHHHHHHH THE SIGHT OF THEM HAS SENT ME INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!!!!!!
now for some mashed banana!

LordMalrog Sep 22nd, 2008 03:01 PM

Brilliant, i've been waiting for this list for a long time.

Cult_Status Sep 22nd, 2008 04:00 PM

Seeing this article has completly cemented my desire for a Cthulhu tattoo. Stoked!

Primortal Sep 22nd, 2008 04:48 PM

Wow... I guess Lovecraft didn't have much of an imagination when it came to thinking up how almost half of his "insanity beasts from beyond infinity" looked. Seriously, 2 out of 4 Great Old Ones are pretty much just blobby masses with tentacles. How am I supposed to know if I'm dealin with either Yog, Shub, or Az? :P

No wonder Cthulhu's so popular, his appearance is so distinct that it sets him apart from his peers.

Brunbb Sep 22nd, 2008 05:40 PM

It's possible that Shub-Niggurath is meant to be pronounced that way. HP Lovecraft was really, really racist. He had a cat named "n-word man" and his wife said he would go into fits of uncontrollable rage around ministries. Sometimes you can just substitute black people for the villains in his stories and they still work remarkably well.

captain516 Sep 22nd, 2008 06:10 PM

There really needs to be a Lovecraft comic book series.

Thanos Sep 22nd, 2008 06:19 PM

captain516 - There are actually two really great Cthulhu comic series going right now from Boom Studios. They're called "Fall of Cthulhu" and "Cthulhu Tales." I heavily suggest reading both. I dare say "Fall of Cthulhu" is one of the top ten best comics published right now. If you want a mind-fuck of a read, then it's the right comic for you!

rizzo Sep 22nd, 2008 06:20 PM

Nice rundown, Protoclown. I personally like the 'giant jet black flute player' avatar of Nyarlathotep, but to each his own.

MarioRPG Sep 22nd, 2008 07:36 PM

(nevermind the picture, he obviously killed a guy who was also 60-feet tall) :lol

But that was an awesome article. I've only ever read Call Of Cthulu (ok, it was an audiobook). Very cool stuff.

BurnPianoBurn Sep 22nd, 2008 08:06 PM

Hastur the Unspeakable is my next door neighbor, that or he's an 80 year old alzheimer's patient who I never understand what its name is, hell I dont know if its a he or she.

homor Sep 22nd, 2008 08:31 PM

very nice article, if lovecraft were still alive i'm sure he'd sue your asses for everything you have.

Dungeonbrownies Sep 22nd, 2008 10:46 PM

pretty good guide, though i found that even though his world was well made, it really wasnt as good as his Reanimator stuff.

Ferrit Sep 22nd, 2008 11:17 PM

Great guide Proto - it'll come in very valuable once the LHC rips a crack in dimensional reality and these guys slip on through and start wrecking shit.

I for one welcome our new other dimensional overlords.