I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Coraline. (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69701612)

Guitar Woman Feb 7th, 2009 12:56 AM

Coraline.

So I love this movie :D

I don't think the pacing was as good as it could have been near the end, but Nightmare Before Christmas was like that, too. The Other Apartment didn't get as nasty as I thought it should have, either. Those are my only complaints and they're really small ones.

Pretty fucking great movie. Go see it.

ZeldaQueen Feb 7th, 2009 11:35 AM

Haven't seen it yet, but I think it really looks good. A nice balance between darkly funny, bizzare, and plain scary (like how the ghost kids in the trailer were saying "She said she loved each of us...")

Anyway, the reviews look pretty good too. I'll probably be coming to see it next weekend or something similar.

BLEU Feb 7th, 2009 06:07 PM

I liked this story better when it was called The Thief of Always. :\

ZeldaQueen Feb 7th, 2009 07:56 PM

Wah? That was the original title?

BLEU Feb 7th, 2009 08:07 PM

Nevermind.

I thought the movie was O.K. Better than the book, even. I don't think the addition of Wybie was needed though. Go see it, everyone. It's not like you have anything better to do.

Fathom Zero Feb 7th, 2009 08:38 PM

DEAR TIM BURTON;

STOP MAKING MOVIES. >:

Guitar Woman Feb 7th, 2009 09:41 PM

Tim Burton wasn't involved with it though :<

Although yeah, he should

ZeldaQueen Feb 7th, 2009 10:16 PM

I like Tim Burton's work (except for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) >:

I can't wait for his version of Alice in Wonderland.

But yeah, I heard that the character of Wybie was put in so that Coraline could have someone to explain things to (rather than go around talking to herself).

pac-man Feb 7th, 2009 10:39 PM

Fathom Zero Feb 7th, 2009 11:21 PM

I take it back, then. I don't hate Burton, I hate anything this Hot Topic-going crowd lauds. Fuck it all.

Goddamnit, I have no idea what this movie is about but it looks entirely unappealing to me.

Guitar Woman Feb 8th, 2009 12:11 AM

Neil Gaiman wrote the book, if that's worth anything to you.

Fathom Zero Feb 8th, 2009 12:33 AM

THAT'S WHO I WAS THINKING OF. Okay.

Yeah, he's another example of me getting pissed off at somebody because everybody and their gay uncle tells me how good he/she is.

BLEU Feb 8th, 2009 12:46 AM

Gaiman is ridiculously overrated. Sandman's really the best thing that's ever come out of that tousled Jewish head.

darkvare Feb 9th, 2009 12:18 PM

i liked the nightmare before christmas and i wanna watch this but i don't have time

ZeldaQueen Feb 9th, 2009 05:54 PM

Never read any of Gaiman's other stuff, though my one friend loves Sandman. I only read Coraline because I found it at a Scholastic Book Fair in middle school.

Ant10708 Feb 9th, 2009 11:12 PM

Did you see it in 3D?

Grislygus Feb 13th, 2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLEU (Post 612623)
I liked this story better when it was called The Thief of Always. :\

Awww, FUCK you for calling it first

Yeah, I loved the bejeezus out of all this guy's work but all I could think of was how badly he needed to go Barker instead of Gaiman

We're never gonna see Rictus animated man, not never, someone's just gonna go with all that Abarat shit

Dimnos Feb 13th, 2009 03:06 PM

How exactly is Coraline a rip off of The Thief of Always? I mean if you count the fact that the main characters are children and they wander away from home looking for fun then.... just about every story with a child as the main character is the same.

Grislygus Feb 13th, 2009 03:23 PM

Don't recall saying it was a ripoff, but the Thief of Always was a far better take on incredibly similar material, done seventeen years earlier. BUT, I can't resist a stupid comment, so:

A Brief Synopsis of the Thief of Always
A magical, monstrous creature turns out to be the main force behind various grinning, dust-filled entities whisking away children to a magical dream house where every wish comes true, while feeding off of their lives. The entrance to this house is disguised as a brick wall when adults are around. The children that had entered this place earlier are now trapped forever as pale fish. In order to beat the entity, the main character first escapes, then discovers that his parents are old and decrepit. He returns to challenge it to three games, destroying the dream world when it overexerts itself. In a surprise twist, the monster reconstructs himself as a tall, spindly monster and Harvey Swick finally defeats him by hurling him into the lake behind the house.

A Brief Synopsis of Coraline
A magical, monstrous creature turns out to be the main force behind various grinning, dust-filled entities whisking away children to a magical dream house where every wish comes true, while feeding off of their lives. The entrance to this house is disguised as a brick wall when adults are around. The children that had entered this place earlier are now trapped forever as button-eyed ghosts. In order to beat the entity, the main character first escapes, then discovers that her parents trapped in the dream world. She returns to challenge it to a game: Find three souls and her parents. With each find, she destroys the dreamworld. In a surprise twist, the monster is revealed as a tall, spindly, spiderlike monster and Coraline finally defeats her by hurling the key into the well behind the house.

Nah, the only similarity is that they have to do with kids.

Dimnos Feb 13th, 2009 04:21 PM

My mistake. I thought someone was saying it was basically a rip off.

Babs Feb 13th, 2009 04:25 PM

Coraline is a complete pile of shit and Burton is a has-been. For the record, don't compare Barker to Burton, that's like comparing gold to piss.

10,000 Volt Ghost Feb 13th, 2009 07:01 PM

Like a golden shower?

pac-man Feb 13th, 2009 07:04 PM

"Thank you, Mayor Simpson. Because of you, we're all taking golden showers!"

Grislygus Feb 17th, 2009 03:40 PM

Tim Burton had absolutely nothing to do with Coraline, numbnuts

darkvare Feb 18th, 2009 09:44 AM

is the thief of always where the main character is blonde?