I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lush - Undertow (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2268)

The_Rorschach Apr 4th, 2003 04:25 AM

Lush - Undertow

Recently came across this song, and I like it alot. Also a DJ Spooky remix which isn't bad. If you don't like female vox, don't bother. This is a little like "Are You The One" by Miranda Sex Garden.

It was the theme song to a shockwave file featuring Vice City. Not sure if there is a corrolation. I don't have time for video games and have never played.

Thought I'd share the song anyway :)

distance Apr 4th, 2003 08:57 AM

Re: Lush - Undertow

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rorschach
Recently came across this song, and I like it alot. Also a DJ Spooky remix which isn't bad. If you don't like female vox, don't bother. This is a little like "Are You The One" by Miranda Sex Garden.

It was the theme song to a shockwave file featuring Vice City. Not sure if there is a corrolation. I don't have time for video games and have never played.

Thought I'd share the song anyway :)

strangely enough, it's also on a levi's commercial.
that one confused me a bit.

Mockery Apr 4th, 2003 10:32 AM

Yeah, that one caught me by surprise too. I still listen to them all the time. Split is easily my favorite album of theirs... there's just so many good tracks on it.

I wish they didn't break up. Besides the great albums, they put on a really nice live show as well. Though it's understandable that they'd break-up after their drummer's suicide, I still wish they could've just taken some time off and found another drummer later on.

I know Emma Anderson is in a new band called "Sing-Song" but I haven't heard 'em yet, and I doubt they're anything nearly as good as Lush was. Still, I'd like to check 'em out. I haven't heard about Miki doing anything new though...

iron mitchell Apr 4th, 2003 12:41 PM

re:

sing-song is good, but nowhere near as good as lush were at their peak. i bet i listened to split and lovelife a thousand times each in high school. that was until my senior year, when i discovered slowdive, whom i consider superior in every way to lush (yes, that's a hint to check them out... start with the souvlaki album.).

Mockery Apr 4th, 2003 12:59 PM

Hmm, definitely haven't heard 'em before. I'll try to find some of their mp3s... thanks for the recommendation.

sspadowsky Apr 4th, 2003 05:15 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that one caught me by surprise too. I still listen to them all the time. Split is easily my favorite album of theirs... there's just so many good tracks on it.
:eek Holy shit! Someone else listens to them! I got Split on cassette back in '94, and I wore it out. But I found it on CD a while later. What a great album. Not a song on it that I don't like.

Right on, fellas. :rock
________
SHOWER VID

Zero Signal Apr 4th, 2003 08:03 PM

Speaking of commercials, there's a car commercial out now (forget which one) with track 2 from Qkumba Zoo's album. Talk about obsure. heh

Mockery Apr 5th, 2003 12:48 AM

Spad, I had no idea you liked them. They fucking rule.

Mitchell, I found a bunch of Slowdive mp3s and I'm sorry to say it, but they bored the living shit out of me. I didn't like the vocals or the music at all. :/ Oh well, to each his own as they say... glad you at least like Lush haha.

iron mitchell Apr 5th, 2003 01:47 AM

re:

i adore slowdive. most shoegaze stuff, particularly the poppier variety, sounds bland as hell to me but i must say that slowdive, along with mbv and lush, have proven to be longstanding bands in my life. i don't really see how one who likes lush would consider slowdive boring. particularly the first half of souvlaki. i suppose the first album isn't all that special and the third would probably turn off those looking for more straightforward stuff, but souvlaki is pure dream-pop goodness. if anything, your ears are broken if you don't love the first song, "alison".

Mockery Apr 5th, 2003 02:18 AM

Sorry man, the only songs I downloaded were off of Souvlaki. Me no likey.

Zero Signal Apr 6th, 2003 12:43 PM

/me goes and listens to some Belly. :love That never gets boring to me.

Protoclown Apr 6th, 2003 01:07 PM

I love Lush. I have all of their albums except "Spooky". I need to remember to get that.

And Zero, I didn't know you liked Belly! I LOVE Tanya Donelly! Have you heard her solo albums?

distance Apr 6th, 2003 03:32 PM

Re: re:

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron mitchell
sing-song is good, but nowhere near as good as lush were at their peak. i bet i listened to split and lovelife a thousand times each in high school. that was until my senior year, when i discovered slowdive, whom i consider superior in every way to lush (yes, that's a hint to check them out... start with the souvlaki album.).

i actually borrowed slowdive 'souvlaki' (with the bonus disc) from someone a few years ago.. the only tracks i could really get into were the eno-related tracks.

Mockery Apr 8th, 2003 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protoclown
I love Lush. I have all of their albums except "Spooky". I need to remember to get that.

Great album. I have it if you want to hear it the next time you're over here before you buy it.

Zero Signal Apr 8th, 2003 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protoclown
And Zero, I didn't know you liked Belly! I LOVE Tanya Donelly! Have you heard her solo albums?

No, I haven't. How different is it compared to Belly?

Protoclown Apr 8th, 2003 12:49 PM

They're slightly more mellow for the most part. I like her solo stuff nearly as much as I like Belly. She has two albums, "Lovesongs for Underdogs" (which I think is out of print, I had to get it off ebay, though it might be back in print by now) and "beautysleep" which came out last summer.

It's definitely not Belly, but they have the same ethereal haunting feel that all of Donelly's songs have.

SisterOFMercy Apr 10th, 2003 11:08 PM

i love miranda sex garden..especially that one song.. "gush forth my tears." makes me all fuzzy inside.