I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   does anyone still buy cds? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25672)

Rongi Apr 7th, 2007 04:18 PM

does anyone still buy cds?

i do, but sometimes i wonder if it's stupid when i know i could download said cd off soulseek.

most cds i buy the artist is either dead or doesnt record anymore, or its some old foagie way past his prime and he probably doesnt need my 15 bucks anyway.

sloth Apr 7th, 2007 04:43 PM

I tend to buy CDs when the band is pretty small and they'd appreciate the interest, or when the record is great. It's a bit sad to think these new digital releases on itunes or whatever are just a configuration of ones and zeroes. It's all a bit transient, whimsical. Like if everyone decided to delete it, that's it - gone, forever. It's just nice to be able to hold it in your hand I suppose. Maybe art collectors feel the same way - you could have a big old collection of paintings on your computer, but it doesn't compare to having the real thing. But saying that, I buy far less than I used to. I guess t'internet has driven up standards.

Grislygus Apr 7th, 2007 05:30 PM

I'll buy the cd if I'm actually a fan.

BlueOatmeal Apr 8th, 2007 01:57 AM

The only reason I bought The Crane Wife was because my laptop died and I didn't have a cd burner. Plus it was at Starbucks and my friend used his discount.

MarioRPG Apr 8th, 2007 10:15 AM

I'll buy the occasional CD if it's a band I like, such as Richard Cheese.

BlueOatmeal Apr 8th, 2007 01:51 PM

With me being so fucking indie (corporate rock BOOOOOO) I just stand around the local FYE and spout off obscure band names and then never buy anything.

They don't know how fucking awesome I am.

noob3 Apr 8th, 2007 05:52 PM

uh go to a indie cd shop you dumb fuck

<-- i buy cds but i havnt in awhile i think the last cd i bought was i forgot :(

BlueOatmeal Apr 8th, 2007 07:43 PM

The "scene" in Tifton is so "bogus"

Angryhydralisk Apr 10th, 2007 02:59 PM

Looking at the topic title, I was wondering if you were some kind of 8-Track, vinyl, or cassette collector. Jolly good point. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna buy some used cds and save about 20 bucks.

Divisible by Waffle Apr 11th, 2007 08:55 PM

Only if I'm willing to pay $20 or so to basically support the band by giving them 10¢. I'm too poor to afford concert tickets (not to mention, all of my friends suck/live too far away and wouldn't want to go), so it's all I can really do.

Esuohlim Apr 17th, 2007 07:27 PM

I buy CDs because I like having a tangible backup of what I buy in case technology turns against me again :(

FartinMowler Apr 17th, 2007 07:43 PM

Sufjan Stevens...bought online and they send me a CD
The Germans...bought at the show
Rheostatics Tribute CD...bought online that I downloaded and then they also sent me a CD

I buy stuff to support bands or "for a good cause".

mando Apr 18th, 2007 07:26 PM

I buy cds from artists that I respect. The only time I download something is when it's somebody who has enough money as it is, anything from a major, or to see if I want to end up buying the album. Besides, you can't deny the awesome-ness of having all your cds lined up. Any KMFDM fan will agree.

Mockery Apr 18th, 2007 08:06 PM

I like buying CDs. I like having the artwork combined with the music. The new NIN album for example, pretty nifty stuff what with the heat-reactive CD and the nice booklet layout.

Girl Drink Drunk Apr 18th, 2007 11:03 PM

With a record sleeve its artwork you can hang on the wall, like a painting:hypno. That being said, although I prefer buying records (vintage, not re-issued, mind you), I enjoy the (sometimes) additional artwork and other things found in a CD release of an album. I'll buy a CD (brand new) if I've listened to the albums tracks and enjoy it enough and if it's a more recent album.

Protoclown Apr 19th, 2007 01:47 AM

I still buy cds all the time, probably at least one a week or so. I like having something tangible to hold, and I'm really picky about having the album artwork and everything. I know I could just download the shit, but then it'll just sit on my hard drive forever and I'll forget about it, and I tend to lose burn cds pretty easily because I either forget to label them or forget to label the jewel case I put them in.

Deadbolt85 Aug 9th, 2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 488187)
I like buying CDs. I like having the artwork combined with the music. The new NIN album for example, pretty nifty stuff what with the heat-reactive CD and the nice booklet layout.

YES! I totally agree, It's awesome to have the whole package in your hands, plus like you said, sometimes bands will go all out with the packaging and such, like the last Tool record for example.

zeldasbiggestfan Aug 13th, 2007 03:50 PM

I buy CDs alot from a used place we have around my town called Slackers. It has shitloads of used good CDs. Plus its buy 3 get one free.

Also if you listen and have good speakers you can really tell a difference in sound quality. CDs sound alot better than a download, even if its from iTunes or some other big online music store.

Niolani Aug 13th, 2007 04:34 PM

I'll buy CDs only if I'm a really big fan of the groups or singer (NIN for example). But otherwise I'd rather download them. It's the same thing for single I'd rather download it, than paying as much as an album cost for a single CD. I don't care if there are four or five remix on the CD, I just want to listen to the original tune. That's all!

Fathom Zero Aug 13th, 2007 04:53 PM

I buy CDs again because I got tired of deleting hundreds of songs, only to realize I liked 'em and can't find them online anymore.

Goddamn you, internet.

Esuohlim Aug 13th, 2007 05:29 PM

I use http://www.ruckus.com for all my music needs now. You need a .edu email address though so go to college and get educated you slackers because I just downloaded over $1000 worth of albums for free and it's legal :picklehat

:spam

noob3 Aug 13th, 2007 07:45 PM

zbf there is a diffirence in sound quality & mp3s usually have a better quality overall! i'm nto sure what brought you to that conclusion that cds are better, maybe it's what you are using like your sound equipment or whatever

also milhouse u dont need an .edu for soulseek but that's not legal but who gives a fuck

Fathom Zero Aug 13th, 2007 10:09 PM

I beg to differ, bro. The .oggs I rip from my CDs are much higher quality than most .mp3s I've downloaded.

Niolani Aug 13th, 2007 11:37 PM

Another reason why I don't buy CDs: My dad own more than 5,000 vinyl records.

GADZOOKS Aug 13th, 2007 11:49 PM

YOUR DAD SOUNDS LIKEA COOL GUY!

MrAdventure Aug 13th, 2007 11:51 PM

Can I get your dad's e-mail address?

Fathom Zero Dec 31st, 2007 12:50 AM

I just bought Justice's debut album (COOL CD ART) and it disappointed me that it was the last one there tucked away behind some shit band. The CD section keeps shrinking.

I do like the opportunity when I find a diamond in the rough, an album I hadn't heard before. It's how I found Morphine.

Cedar Dec 31st, 2007 01:11 AM

i still buy cds, the las one i bought was a Devo compilation

Darktrooper11 Dec 31st, 2007 03:42 AM

I buy Cd's still because I like to physically own things and hear them out of my kick-ass stereo system.

Darktrooper11 Dec 31st, 2007 03:43 AM

oops

WhiteRat Dec 31st, 2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darktrooper11 (Post 517287)
I buy Cd's still because I like to physically own things and hear them out of my kick-ass stereo system.

I concur. I also like to own the actual cd because it looks better in my collection as well. I usually buy the cds of any artist I give a shit about.

Sundowner Dec 31st, 2007 02:03 PM

I like buying CDs because I have this compulsion to hoard things.

Jemry Jan 1st, 2008 09:29 AM

I still buy, not very often though. There's a difference between having the music and having the actual record. I like having a physical collection that you can point out and say, "That's what I spent my food money on."

Cedar Jan 1st, 2008 02:39 PM

i also buy vinyl

23_ Jan 1st, 2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 488016)
I buy CDs because I like having a tangible backup of what I buy in case technology turns against me again :(

Same for me. I've just recently started buying blank CDs to put my downloaded music on because I recently realized I had my iPod for almost 2 years and it might just stop working soon.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 500478)
I use http://www.ruckus.com for all my music needs now. You need a .edu email address though so go to college and get educated you slackers because I just downloaded over $1000 worth of albums for free and it's legal :picklehat

:spam

Ruckus downloads are useless if you have an iPod like I do. Unless you want to look for a shady program to break their licenses.

soundtest Jan 1st, 2008 06:22 PM

I haven't purchased a CD in over 10 years. Regardless of liking the physical media, purchasing CDs is supporting the RIAA which has ruined countless of people's lives (financially at least). Unless of course you purchase CDs from independent artists or labels or the few major artists who take a progressive stance against the recording industry mafia (e.g., NIN, Radiohead, etc.).

Fathom Zero Jan 1st, 2008 07:49 PM

I do that, too. Who was the band that let people pay whatever they wanted for their album?

Also, downloaded music's revenue goes, in part, to the RIAA as well.

Guitar Woman Jan 1st, 2008 10:04 PM

NIN and Radiohead suck dick, though

soundtest Jan 1st, 2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Also, downloaded music's revenue goes, in part, to the RIAA as well.
Depends where you download it. ;)

Quote:

NIN and Radiohead suck dick, though
Your point? These are just examples off the top of my head of artists that have spoken out against the RIAA.

Here you can see if a dick sucking mainstream artist you do like supports suing grandmothers and college students:

http://www.riaaradar.com/

Fathom Zero Jan 1st, 2008 11:28 PM

Haha! http://www.riaaradar.com/search.asp?...eyword=Justice

Justice is AOK! Probably 'cause they and their label are French.

I like how the Grey Album is "unknown." :rolleyes

Eyelobe Jan 1st, 2008 11:32 PM

I still buy CDs. The artwork and liner notes is an important part of the experience for me...and I like the album format - listening to songs in the order the musicians intended.

By the way, how can anyone say Radiohead suck? They can be mind-numbingly pretentious at times, but "suck"? No.

Fathom Zero Jan 1st, 2008 11:35 PM

Yes, Radiohead sucks. No, you are wrong.

executioneer Jan 2nd, 2008 01:14 AM

only college girls like radiohead

comhcinc Jan 2nd, 2008 05:47 PM

i still buy cds. sure i like owning a physical copy and the album art and liner notes, but mostly i really get off by masterbating with the cds.

Miss Modular Jan 2nd, 2008 09:14 PM

Sergio Mendes' Greatest Hits was the last album I bought...over a month and a half ago. I mostly D/L now, and I'll get songs off of I-tunes when I want them.

Basically, I'll buy the cd if the album has songs that are 13 and a half minutes long, and if I know I'd listen to it somewhere besides my IPod.

Chain-So-Matic Zombies Jan 4th, 2008 05:10 AM

OF COURSE i'm still buying (((((empty))))):orgasm cd (rs)

executioneer Jan 4th, 2008 12:46 PM

that's not what this thread is about and you know it you cock

dirtyxblondexdame Jan 4th, 2008 02:13 PM

I have soulseek too, but i do buy cd's if i really dig the whole album.

i just bought Priestess' album from amazon.com. fucking rocks.

soundtest Jan 4th, 2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtyxblondexdame (Post 519041)
I have soulseek too, but i do buy cd's if i really dig the whole album.

i just bought Priestess' album from amazon.com. fucking rocks.

Hahah I know Mikey and used to party with them in Montreal. Not a fan of their music though.

Vanhelm13 Jan 5th, 2008 10:48 PM

I don't buy CDs from bands that headline tours, because at that point their money is going to be coming mostly from the touring, and not the music sales.
But if there's some band no one's heard of then I'll definitely buy the CD.

Girl Drink Drunk Jan 7th, 2008 12:12 PM

I like to rip the files to my computer so I can put them on my MP3 player , because they are arranged properly on the player by order and album, as opposed to downloading some song off a P2P program that some idiot mislabelled when he put the song on there.

Fathom Zero Jan 7th, 2008 05:09 PM

I hate that a lot. I've ripped every album I've ever owned, which, to be fair, isn't that big.

Spetsnaz Jan 7th, 2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniperwulf (Post 520728)
I like to rip the files to my computer so I can put them on my MP3 player , because they are arranged properly on the player by order and album, as opposed to downloading some song off a P2P program that some idiot mislabelled when he put the song on there.

I think I have somewhere over 10,000 ripped files, mostly of them metal albums.

What I usually do is that as soon as an albums done downloading, I backcheck the information with the offical album data from whichever recording website, etc.

As for buying CDs... I havent bought one in at least a year.

Girl Drink Drunk Jan 7th, 2008 11:12 PM

Ripping CDs is time-consuming, but I also like how ripped files didn't ruin the last 3 MP3 players I had :(

stevetamis Jul 22nd, 2009 03:47 AM

does anyone still buy cds?

Yes,Sometimes i do buy cd's because some old collection might not be available on New dvd's otherwise i don't buy cd's.

executioneer Jul 22nd, 2009 05:13 AM

you know what, you better be a spambot because bumping old topics is a crappy thing for a person to do

lovely09 Jul 28th, 2009 08:23 PM

Yes, i do have a hundred collection of cd's.I started out when i was fifteen which turns out to be a collection until now.I was inspired by mom who loves music as i do.

bigtimecow Jul 30th, 2009 10:54 AM

i recently bought 2 stooges albums and hate to say that the quality on CD sucks :(

stevetothepast Jul 30th, 2009 04:07 PM

I was inspired by mom who loves music as i do.

SLjimbolian Aug 1st, 2009 04:18 PM

I still do, actually purchased 4 albums from Amazon last week.

Angryhydralisk Aug 3rd, 2009 10:29 AM

I do on a semi-regular basis. If I can find the vinly version, it's even better.

Anyways, as for downloading, I only do that if it's a live bootleg (Got TONs of em'!) or something that's limited to 25 1/2 copies!

10,000 Volt Ghost Aug 3rd, 2009 03:59 PM

Need to go get the new RX Bandits album today after work. I drive a lot so I go through music pretty quick.

A Bad Enough Dude Aug 31st, 2009 04:13 PM

What the hell is a cd?

MajorScales Aug 31st, 2009 06:47 PM

I've bought a few 7" vinyl records even though I still haven't found a turn table.

Kilgore Cod Sep 20th, 2009 08:52 PM

I have around 1,500 cd's and won't stop anytime soon. I bought 2 last Tuesday.

I have a bunch of vinyl too, I've probably spent over a grand in acquiring rare shit.

That being said, I do have an mp3 player (Sandisk Sansa, fuck iPod) but all of my mp3 are ripped from my own cd's. I'll never, ever pay for an mp3.