I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I-Mockery Chat (Lube up those lips) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8799)

Asila Apr 11th, 2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Well, to be fair, I found both Tennyson and Byron so tedious that I frequently mix up their works and biographical details.
I would have said overly self-involved over tedious, but I've no question that you chose the better description.

Quote:

Congratulations! You are the female Pub!
SUCCESS. I will celebrate by getting trashed.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 03:16 PM

I hate poetry in general, but Tennyson's just plain beautiful

Besides, the first poem of his that I read was The Kraken, and somber moods with water imagery is really my thing

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 548132)
Wait, I actually haven't seen that episode, was it a newer one

No, it's pretty old.

It touched my heart.

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:17 PM

Esuohlim Apr 11th, 2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pub Lover (Post 548137)
Congratulations! You are the female Pub!

If that is true then if you two ever meet it will surely be the end of the world.

But we won't have to worry about that because of the whole not-leaving-the-house thing :whew

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 03:17 PM

I thought I saw all the older ones

I'm a goddamned failure

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 03:18 PM

Well, I usually talk about theology in a historical context, so it's pointless to take it seriously outside of "NO, SHITHEAD, it's obvious that Aquinas would argue that FIFTEEN angels could dance on the end of a needle pin!"*

I do take certain realms of theology pretty seriously, but that's because it's mostly shit I made up when I was 17.

*Popular cliché often mistaken for an actual medieval debate, but actually invented by later satirists.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 03:18 PM

I LEAVE THE HOUSE REGULARLY

to go to the publishing lab

Pandajuice Apr 11th, 2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 548128)
I REALLY doubt that you'd be much use in a discussion as to whether or not Voltaire grew alongside Candide

Probably not seeing as how I prefer to explore and discuss my own theories of the ties between freedom, religion, and the state rather than plagiarize, or compare, other people's ideas.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 03:19 PM

I'm a big mythology freak, so I get involved with theology when the two bleed into each other

Asila Apr 11th, 2008 03:20 PM

Tennyson is certainly memorable and I couldn't possibly hope to do better on the very best of my perfect days, so I'm not one to pick too much, but... Well, I've always been attached to Wordsworth.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 03:20 PM

PJ, if you're not actually going to say anything, shutcher trap

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 548143)
If that is true

It's not true, she merely said something stupid.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 03:21 PM

I've actually never read much of wordsworth :(

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandajuice (Post 548147)
Probably not seeing as how I prefer to explore and discuss my own theories of the ties between freedom, religion, and the state rather than plagiarize, or compare, other people's ideas.

Yeah, no one but you has good ideas.

Pandajuice Apr 11th, 2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 548148)
I'm a big mythology freak, so I get involved with theology when the two bleed into each other

I've always preferred philisophical discussions concerning the existence of the human (or animal) soul rather than Theology. But then again, Theology can be pretty interesting if explored counter-intuitively in a philisophical manner rather than a religious one.

Asila Apr 11th, 2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

If that is true then if you two ever meet it will surely be the end of the world.

But we won't have to worry about that because of the whole not-leaving-the-house thing :whew
I was going to agree, but

Quote:

It's not true, she merely said something stupid.
I'm using that as evidence to the argument that we'd probably actively dislike each other.

Asila Apr 11th, 2008 03:24 PM

Grislygus:

http://www.online-literature.com/wordsworth/2208/

Pandajuice Apr 11th, 2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pub Lover (Post 548153)
Yeah, no one but you has good ideas.

People have great ideas. But why not tell me yours rather than someone else's from 200 years ago?

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandajuice (Post 548147)

Alright, I'll remind you that Isaac Newton may have had certain eccentricities that are outright stupid by modern viewers, but he was probably more intelligent than your intelligence is capable of formulating a coherent image against which you could base comparison against yourself.

Also, he wasn't really famous for being humble, either.

He said something like,
"If I have been able to see further than anyone else, it is merely because I have been standing on the shoulders of giants."

(I'll not look up the exact quote because I want to impress you with my memory of how close I came to it.)

So, yeah, saying that you ignore Voltaire because you have your own views, which I'm sure have all the uniqueness and profundity to shatter the earth, is pretty fucking stupid.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 03:26 PM

Please, PJ, elaborate on these discussions

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandajuice (Post 548157)
People have great ideas. But why not tell me yours rather than someone else's from 200 years ago?

Because most of the things I hear as 'original ideas' have already been explored 200 years ago by someone much smarter & interesting than you.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 03:28 PM

Whoah, where'd he say that

I'm losing track here

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 03:28 PM

Oh wait, there it is

Is he retarded

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethomas (Post 548158)
"If I have been able to see further than anyone else, it is merely because I have been standing on the shoulders of giants.".

I always like the story behind that. The next letter was all "YOU'RE A MIDGET? I HAD NO IDEA! LET ME APOLOGISE PROFUSELY!"