I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Man opens fire in gay bar (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19988)

Emu Feb 2nd, 2006 09:04 PM

Man opens fire in gay bar
 
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11146480/

Updated: 8:14 p.m. ET Feb. 2, 2006

Nazi items in home of alleged gay bar attacker
3 injured from attack that involved hatchet, handgun; shooter on the loose

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. - The attacker hid his weapons in a hooded sweatshirt as he strode into a popular gay tavern known for its quiet atmosphere and trouble-free customers.

The young man flashed an apparently fake ID, the bartender said, and calmly ordered a drink, asking if he was at a gay bar. Told that he was, he attacked the patrons with a hatchet and handgun, sending three men to the hospital early Thursday, one with critical injuries.

Authorities in this historic seaport searched for Jacob D. Robida, 18, who was charged in an arrest warrant with assault, attempted murder and civil-rights violations.

According to court papers attached to the warrant, Robida’s mother told police he came home around 1 a.m., bleeding from the head, then left again. Officers who searched his bedroom found what they described as “Nazi regalia” and anti-Semitic writings on the wall, the police affidavit said. It said Robida was recognized by a woman in the bar.

“Obviously, we have a man who’s dangerous, who’s not rational, and he has weapons,” said Bristol District Attorney Paul Walsh Jr.

The bartender at Puzzles Lounge told The Associated Press the assailant walked in around midnight and drank a rum on the rocks. He ordered another and walked to the back of the bar, where two men were playing pool.

Swung hatchet at man's head
The attacker shoved one of the men to the ground, then pulled a hatchet from his sweatshirt and began swinging it at the man’s head, said the bartender, who asked to be identified only by his first name, Phillip, because of concerns about his own safety while the gunman is at large.

The second pool player intervened, swinging at the assailant with his pool cue, but the attacker fended him off, the bartender said.

Several other patrons tried to stop him, and he was knocked off his feet, sending the hatchet flying, Phillip said.

The attacker then pulled out the handgun and shot one man, according to the bartender. He fired another bullet into the chest of a patron who was leaving the bathroom.

“He was shooting at everyone,” Phillip said.

The attacker shoved the bartender before leaving the building and running up the street, he said.

Police arrived moments later, finding the hatchet on the barroom floor and a knife lying on the ground outside, though it was apparently never used in the attack.

Court documents said a woman in the bar recognized Robida as a current or former student at New Bedford High School. School officials declined to confirm whether Robida was enrolled there.

Attended boot camp-like program
He was also known to New Bedford police because he graduated in 2001 from the city’s Junior Police Academy, according to acting Police Chief David Provencher. The “boot camp” program is designed to teach discipline to 12- to 14-year-olds, many of whom are referred by juvenile courts or social services agencies.

Robida’s mother, Stephanie Oliver, declined to comment Thursday through a family friend who answered the door at their home.

The wounded men were identified by police as Robert Perry of Dartmouth, Alex Taylor of Fairhaven and Luis Rosado of New Bedford.

One has a gunshot wound to the chest, another a gunshot wound to the back and severe cuts to his face, and a third suffered multiple cuts, police said. They would not specify which man suffered which injuries.

All three victims remained hospitalized. Police said one was in critical condition but would not say which man.

Puzzles is popular with New Bedford’s gay community and is listed on several Web sites offering resources to gays and lesbians. Police said they rarely respond to reports of trouble there.

“If all the bars in the city were that quiet, we’d be great,” police Capt. Richard Spirlet said.
© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Tara Feb 2nd, 2006 11:10 PM

I'll bet your gloating.

Aren't you?

Summourn Feb 2nd, 2006 11:12 PM

I bet "your" a little clueless.

Aren't you?

Emu Feb 2nd, 2006 11:12 PM

Tara: Kindly stuff a brick up your cunt so it won't stink up this forum anymore, will you? Thanks.

Big Papa Goat Feb 2nd, 2006 11:24 PM

they probably all had aids anyway

Tara Feb 2nd, 2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emu
Tara: Kindly stuff a brick up your cunt so it won't stink up this forum anymore, will you? Thanks.

I thought that was smegma, Emu. :)

Kulturkampf Feb 3rd, 2006 04:39 AM

I bet this is indicative of all of the conservatives on this board, and that secretly they all are going to go do similar attacks against our society.

This is not politics, but a crime story that is shocking.

Nothing to debate.

My opinion:

It is too bad that we have a youth so helplessly led astry, and it is too bad that we have people so badly wounded by his poor actions and decisions -- I hope good can somehow come out of the situation.

mburbank Feb 3rd, 2006 10:11 AM

Wow. I have to say, KleptoKid, I'm really blown away your opinion.

Until you posted that, I'd always felt all conservatives, really all republicans would fully support violent assault on Gay people. I was really, really, really, sure that you all were a monolithic block and that every single one of you wasn't just prejudiced against gay people, like you are, and felt homosexuality was unnatural and a mental illness, like you do, also actively advocated for and approved of violence against gays.

Now the scales have fallen from my eyes. I've been so, so wrong. In fact, since my incorrect assumption that all of you were pro violence against gays was pretty much my only disagreement with the Republican party, I'm a Republican now.

Golly. Now have to question my assumption that whenever someone posts something here, what they mean by it is that at least half the world is identical in every way to the people in the story. an. I'm shaken. I may have to take a few days off.

VinceZeb Feb 3rd, 2006 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mburbank
Wow. I have to say, KleptoKid, I'm really blown away your opinion.

Until you posted that, I'd always felt all conservatives, really all republicans would fully support violent assault on Gay people. I was really, really, really, sure that you all were a monolithic block and that every single one of you wasn't just prejudiced against gay people, like you are, and felt homosexuality was unnatural and a mental illness, like you do, also actively advocated for and approved of violence against gays.

Now the scales have fallen from my eyes. I've been so, so wrong. In fact, since my incorrect assumption that all of you were pro violence against gays was pretty much my only disagreement with the Republican party, I'm a Republican now.

Golly. Now have to question my assumption that whenever someone posts something here, what they mean by it is that at least half the world is identical in every way to the people in the story. an. I'm shaken. I may have to take a few days off.

This post is made about 10x more funny if you picture Max speaking with a slight lisp while he is talking while wearing a Mr. Show shirt.

KevinTheOmnivore Feb 3rd, 2006 11:05 AM

YES!! SWEET JESUS, YES!

Emu Feb 3rd, 2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulturkampf
I bet this is indicative of all of the conservatives on this board, and that secretly they all are going to go do similar attacks against our society.

This is not politics, but a crime story that is shocking.

Nothing to debate.

See, I don't know if you noticed, but this is also a news board. Yes, it's shocking, and it's news, and I think it does make an important point about tolerance. Did I say it was indicative of anything about you? No. I didn't comment on it at all. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Get down from the cross, please.

Quote:

My opinion:

It is too bad that we have a youth so helplessly led astry, and it is too bad that we have people so badly wounded by his poor actions and decisions -- I hope good can somehow come out of the situation.
Like I said, situations like these are why I think it's important to teach tolerance of homosexuals (and everybody; this could have been a bar full of African Americans and the situation would have been equally tragic.)

Emu Feb 3rd, 2006 12:23 PM

And I'd like to add that I didn't post this to make some kind of comparison to KK, because at least he has a rational reason for believing what he does, even if I strongly disagree with it, even if it is or isn't true, it's still a rational reason, unlike this sick fuck. I think this is a horribly tragic story that should be discussed.

Kulturkampf Feb 3rd, 2006 12:59 PM

Teach tolerance? Sure. But I dislike the idea that the teaching of tolerance becomes an indoctrination into believing all people who think homosexuality is wrong are backwards. That is wrong.

We can never prevent these sorts of crimes because they are senseless acts of aggression.

KevinTheOmnivore Feb 3rd, 2006 01:03 PM

Tolerance and acceptance are two different things.

mburbank Feb 3rd, 2006 01:34 PM

One man's indoctrination is another mans exposure to information, li'l Johnny Backwards.

Immortal Goat Feb 3rd, 2006 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emu
And I'd like to add that I didn't post this to make some kind of comparison to KK, because at least he has a rational reason for believing what he does, even if I strongly disagree with it, even if it is or isn't true, it's still a rational reason, unlike this sick fuck. I think this is a horribly tragic story that should be discussed.

Rational reason? I must have missed that part in the previous threads. What is his rational reason for hating homosexuals? Seriously, I want to know. This isn't me being a smartass or anything. I just want to know.

Oh, and I love how Vince pops out of the woodwork every now and again to post something so completely useless that it somehow lowers everyone's opinion of him even more, surprising everyone with the fact that can still go lower at all.

On topic: This is disgusting. Has there been an arrest yet? I'm looking forward to the inevitable interview with this guy, too, just so I can read what this guy has to say about what he did.

Emu Feb 3rd, 2006 05:38 PM

I said it was rational, not that it was right. He seems to have a genuine concern that homosexuality causes promiscuity, drug dependence and disease, and, while I don't believe it does personally, he's justified in believing that if he thinks those things are true. That doesn't make him right, though.

Immortal Goat Feb 3rd, 2006 06:14 PM

Ahh, ok. Well, I disagree that it is rational, seeing as how there are plenty of sources refuting his claims. Still, it is more rational than "Because God said they are evil".

Summourn Feb 5th, 2006 12:33 AM

"An 18-year-old suspect in hatchet attacks and shootings at a Massachusetts gay bar was captured Saturday after a gunfight, but not before two people were dead. Officials say Jacob Robida killed an Arkansas police officer during a traffic stop and a woman in his car as police closed in. Robida was in critical condition after being shot by officers."

(cnn.com)

executioneer Feb 5th, 2006 06:55 AM

who the fuck drinks rum on the rocks anyways, christ

Chojin Feb 5th, 2006 07:24 AM

lol, the only people he killed were probably straight ;<

TEAM KILLER

Kulturkampf Feb 6th, 2006 03:10 AM

It is rational, it uses reason in argument, I do not think i tis so proper to be so insulting.

maggiekarp Feb 6th, 2006 03:22 AM

My mom and I were kinda creeped out that the guy looks like my uncle

Immortal Goat Feb 6th, 2006 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulturkampf
It is rational, it uses reason in argument, I do not think i tis so proper to be so insulting.

It uses flawed reasoning, and therefor is not rational. It is about as rational as saying that Black people shouldn't breed because they are more succeptible to becoming criminals. Sure, statistically, it is true, but it isn't because they are black, and to deny them the right to family would be irrational.

It wasn't meant as an insult. It was meant to be more of a truthful observation. If you were insulted by it, then that sounds like a personal problem to me. Quit with your "victim" mentality and see things for what they are. Baby.

mburbank Feb 6th, 2006 10:33 AM

KiKi, If you don't think it is so proper to be insulting, YOU MAY BE IN THE WRONG PLACE, GUY WHO CALLS PEOPLE CUNT!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.