I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Off-topic, from Glow's Thread (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20755)

Pharaoh Mar 31st, 2006 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
No, lack of education isn't entirely all your fault. It's all up to the fucking schools. If the school sucks, that isn't your fault. The school should just get better. Nevermind the option for the parent to send the kid to a better school or home education. Nevermind that parents are failing to hold up their end of the bargain by handing their children over to others, and failing to accept responsibility for their kid's actions. Christ, you make me sick, Pharoah.

I was being sarcastic, you twit. I don't believe any school or diet can make your child a genius. A good education can bring out the best and ensure a child reaches it's full potential but you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.

kahljorn Mar 31st, 2006 04:24 PM

"A good education can bring out the best and ensure a child reaches it's full potential but you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear."

I guess I'll just ask, what is your standard of genius? What are the qualifications? What do you think 'creates' them? An innately bigger brain?

mburbank Mar 31st, 2006 05:16 PM

"A good education can bring out the best and ensure a child reaches it's full potential but you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear."

'it's' education? Maybe your child is an 'it'. But then, they aren't Jewish, Like Einstein and me. Did you now I was comission by the Boston Museum of Science to write a play about Einstein? That ever happen to you? Didn't think so. Maybe if you were Jewish you'd be asked to do smrt person stuff, but don't hold your breath. You people were born to do the heavy lifting.

Pharaoh Mar 31st, 2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahljorn
"A good education can bring out the best and ensure a child reaches it's full potential but you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear."

I guess I'll just ask, what is your standard of genius? What are the qualifications? What do you think 'creates' them? An innately bigger brain?

Well, a genius is someone of exceptionally high intelligence, like Einstein for example. I think brain size has some effect but mostly it's the quality of brain you're born with that makes a genius.

Do you honestly believe that Einstein was born with the same quality of brain as everybody else? Can anybody be an Einstein, given the same education etc?

Pharaoh Mar 31st, 2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mburbank
Did you now I was comission by the Boston Museum of Science to write a play about Einstein?

No I didn't 'now' you were 'comission' to do that, and I won't hold my breath because I don't want to write a play about Einstein, and I certainly wouldn't want to see a play that you'd written. Did you write all about how his education made him into a genius, or what?

kahljorn Mar 31st, 2006 06:12 PM

"I think the most important thing is stressing that TV is a treat, not a lifestyle."

Yea, that's a great idea. Reward them with bad things, that will set up a great pattern won't it. Drp. then whenever the kid thinks of something "Good" or a treat he wants to earn he will think of tv, while everything else will be a chore to gain tv priveledges. Sorry if I'm being to insulting, but you'd make a shitty psychologist. What do you think sets the pattern of people being so addicted to tv in the first place?
Same with mcdonalds and fast food, they give children toys/treats for a reason.

"Can anybody be an Einstein, given the same education etc?"

Tell me in your own words what Einstein did that was so great? If you start talking about relativity I'll laugh.
If you don't know what makes a genius don't talk about it ;/
And no, I don't believe that at all, because what makes a person isn't only their education but a string of seemingly infinite events in their lifetime and another set of seemingly infinite events that happened before their lifetime, all set relatively to him. I find this conversation ironic.
However, I believe that given an education that meets my approved acceptable super standards everybody could be productive and useful, see below sidenote.
As a side note, i don't really think Einstein is all that special in himself, because he is merely the result of society. Without all the stupid people surrounding him he probably wouldn't have been so "intelligent". Simple mathematics, my friend, you take out any single piece and the answer won't be the same.

Spectre X Mar 31st, 2006 06:40 PM

You know, Pharaoh, Einstein was just good with physics.

He didn't even learn to speak until he was eight or something.

kahljorn Mar 31st, 2006 08:38 PM

"Kahl, you're an ignorant slut. Intelligent, but dumb as a bag of cats sometimes."

This argument is full of information that contradicts everything I said and apparantly makes me look stupid. Please, show me and tell me how I'm stupid. Don't just talk about it, oh serene and mysterious guru.

Preechr Mar 31st, 2006 11:52 PM

I didn't say you are stupid.

kahljorn Apr 1st, 2006 03:28 AM

Do you know what a synonym is?

All I was asking you to do is respond to the content of what I actually said, rather than just expressing the feelings you're getting from the icey cold butterfinger shoved up your candyass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforcement
Check that out. You'll see it applies nicely to what I was saying.

Preechr Apr 1st, 2006 05:35 AM

Synonyms for ignorant: benighted, dark, illiterate, nonliterate, simple, uneducated, uninstructed, unlearned, unlettered, unread, unschooled, untaught, untutored ~m.w.com

The word "stupid" does not appear in that entry.

...Just as the word "Einstein" does not appear in your Wikipedia entry.

KevinTheOmnivore Apr 1st, 2006 10:20 AM

"dark"?

That is racist.

Spectre X Apr 1st, 2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preechr
Synonyms for ignorant: benighted, dark, illiterate, nonliterate, simple, uneducated, uninstructed, unlearned, unlettered, unread, unschooled, untaught, untutored ~m.w.com

The word "stupid" does not appear in that entry.

...Just as the word "Einstein" does not appear in your Wikipedia entry.

"Dumb", on the other hand, is a synonym for stupid.

kahljorn Apr 1st, 2006 03:01 PM

Main Entry: dull
Part of Speech: adjective 1
Definition: unintelligent
Synonyms: addled, backward, besotted, boring, brainless, daffy, daft, dense, dim, dim-witted, doltish, dumb, feeble-minded, half-baked, half-witted, ignorant, imbecilic, indolent, insensate, low, moronic, not bright, numskulled, obtuse, retarded, scatterbrained, shallow, simple, simple-minded, slow, sluggish, stolid, stupid, tedious, thick, unintellectual, vacuous, wearisome, witless

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=ignorant

I was going to post that originally but thought it was annoying to post thesaurus cutouts, but alas, as usual a jackass has shown us the way! I love how it says the Antonym is intelligent when you said I was intelligent but dumb and ignorant. Good old semantics, eh? That's what i thought was most hilarious :lol

Scroll up a paragraph before the einstein thing(and since i realize you're a picky asshole, before the einstein quote as well), jackass, you'll notice a discussion relating to reinforcement. I find it hilarious you can't associate the two and somehow relate it to einstein instead of something dealing with behavior(when reinforcement is part of behavioral science), but thanks for showing me your short-comings.
I wasn't the one talking about einstein, it was pharoh. I was just merely responding in context to try to continue the conversation, which I notice you rarily seem to be able to do. I'm surprised it's not that fucking obvious. You're so smart.

Quit talking to me if you're not even going to respond in context. What happened to the libertarian hero? I remember back a month past, when you had plenty to say. Sure, it was redundant, conflicting and pointless, but still, you had something to say! Now what's this? I'm really losing the little respect for you I had. I look at your recent posts in recent threads and they are just this, a mimicry of people like pharoh(cliche insults and nothing else to say). You're boring.

Preechr Apr 2nd, 2006 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahljorn
Main Entry: dull
Part of Speech: adjective 1
Definition: unintelligent
Synonyms: addled, backward, besotted, boring, brainless, daffy, daft, dense, dim, dim-witted, doltish, dumb, feeble-minded, half-baked, half-witted, ignorant, imbecilic, indolent, insensate, low, moronic, not bright, numskulled, obtuse, retarded, scatterbrained, shallow, simple, simple-minded, slow, sluggish, stolid, stupid, tedious, thick, unintellectual, vacuous, wearisome, witless

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=ignorant

I was going to post that originally but thought it was annoying to post thesaurus cutouts, but alas, as usual a jackass has shown us the way! I love how it says the Antonym is intelligent when you said I was intelligent but dumb and ignorant. Good old semantics, eh? That's what i thought was most hilarious :lol

Scroll up a paragraph before the einstein thing(and since i realize you're a picky asshole, before the einstein quote as well), jackass, you'll notice a discussion relating to reinforcement. I find it hilarious you can't associate the two and somehow relate it to einstein instead of something dealing with behavior(when reinforcement is part of behavioral science), but thanks for showing me your short-comings.
I wasn't the one talking about einstein, it was pharoh. I was just merely responding in context to try to continue the conversation, which I notice you rarily seem to be able to do. I'm surprised it's not that fucking obvious. You're so smart.

Quit talking to me if you're not even going to respond in context. What happened to the libertarian hero? I remember back a month past, when you had plenty to say. Sure, it was redundant, conflicting and pointless, but still, you had something to say! Now what's this? I'm really losing the little respect for you I had. I look at your recent posts in recent threads and they are just this, a mimicry of people like pharoh(cliche insults and nothing else to say). You're boring.

This is why I stopped responding to your posts, kahl. I apologize sincerely for offhandedly remarking that something you said was ignorant. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge of something. Yes, Pharoah mentioned Einstein as a way of saying smart person. You responded by bagging on Einstein. I found your comment ignorant, as in my opinion you don't seem to have enough knowledge in that particular area. I could also say add to that that I find your comments about me ignorant, but I would not wish to once again draw your terrible ire.

See, sometimes I feel bad for judging people. Based on our previous discussions, I had pretty much written you off as incoherent in your own special little way. Your post made me chuckle a bit, so as I sat down to write a response to Glowbelly, I threw a couple sentences your way. I'm also sorry for using an archaic Dan Akroyd reference. I am also sorry for trying to have a little fun with you by being quizzical in my follow ups. I am very sorry for re-engaging you at all, or for that matter questioning my previous judgement of you.

It would probably be best if you also went with your gut concerning me. Just hate me for all the disappointments I have given you, and start ignoring anything I might post here. If you feel like responding to this, do so in a PM please, or start a different thread just for bashing me more, if that would make you happier.

kahljorn Apr 2nd, 2006 05:29 AM

"You responded by bagging on Einstein."

I wasn't bagging on Einstein. I was merely asking pharoh for clarification, mostly so we could get down to the definition of Genius. AGAIN: CONTENT, CLARIFICATION, DISCUSSION. How is that incoherent?
'Tell me in your own words what Einstein did that was so great?'
I'm guessing you think that's how i was bagging on him, however, i was basically asking, "what did he do that made him a genius?" Why was i asking? Perhaps I had a followup, or perhaps because i thought it would add to the conversation. When have i ever insulted someone without giving a good reason first? I rarily do, especially if it's in any conversation i find potentially interesting. How is that incoherent?
I didn't talk about relativity because i was bagging, i talked about it because i thought it was ironic because what made einstein is clearly relative to him, no? (He had asked if einstein was made by his education.) I mentioned that later in my post. Thanks for having reading comprehension. How is that incoherent?
Again, you're a jackass. How is that incoherent?

"I found your comment ignorant, as in my opinion you don't seem to have enough knowledge in that particular area."

I didn't make a comment on einstein, really, I asked pharoh a question about it. Then I made a comment about society and how it functions. Again, you're stupid. But please, show me how I don't have any knowledge in the area. How is tht incoherent?

"I am also sorry for trying to have a little fun with you by being quizzical in my follow ups."

Yea geez your responses flew over my head when you were like hey dumb isn't stupid man and i was like hey man i don't get it that's too smart for me please stop quizzing me Mr. Smartman my brain just can't handle it anymore then you apparantly threw in a dan akroyd quote and you know how quotes of washed up celebrities work in intelligent conversations it's like an instant win that's how bush won the debtes right, "Asta la veeeesta baby!" and everyone was like no he didn't! This is kind of incoherent, but purposefully. I hope that's obvious.

"Just hate me for all the disappointments I have given you"
I don't hate you, and i think you're whacky for thinking i would, i just think it's ridiculous that you'd call me stupid without having a good reason, and without contradicting any of the content I actually posted. How is that incoherent?

"Based on our previous discussions"
What do our previous discussions have to do with the relevance of what I'm saying right now? How is that incoherent?

"If you feel like responding to this, do so in a PM please"
No.

I would like to see you respond directly to that instead of avoiding all of it like you usually do. I don't understand why you think I'm incoherent, I generally try to be as simple minded as possible. How is that incoherent?

"I could also say add to that that I find your comments about me ignorant"
Do hold any ideas in your head that someone on the internet who's had very little to no contact with you could be anything other than ignorant as far as their knowledge of your personality and whatever else has to go? I really don't understand this statement at all. In the same respect, you know very little about me.

glowbelly Apr 2nd, 2006 02:02 PM

SHUT UP BOTH OF YOU >:

mburbank Apr 2nd, 2006 02:05 PM

Phag;

The play included some explanation of relativity, how the theory influenced the developement of nuclear weapons, and examined the relationship between ethics and science. It didn't concern itsef at all with what factors made Einstein a genius, and I'm pretty sure that while people can speculate, nobody has any idea. The chunks of Einsteins brain that made it to biopsy over the years (and that's a hell of a story in and of itself) revealed nothing. Current cience has revealed nothing structurally different about Ensteins brain.

I point to the commision as evidence that I am smarter than you, from my of view. Your point of view syays that statistically speaking, chances are my Jew brain is superior to your mongrel brain. Viewed from my perspective I am your intellectual superior. Viewed from yours, chances favor my being your intellectual superior. Taken together chances I am not your intellectual superior are VERY slim.

Again, as your almost certain intellectual superior, I insist you obey my DNA and abandon your ridiculous, self serving theories. While I'm sure you'd be very good at moving furniture or cleaning up debris, you were simply not born to form opinions. Obey your nature and do as I tell you, and you will naturally be more happy.

kahljorn Apr 2nd, 2006 06:36 PM

Despite how I feel about you moving stuff because it's off -topic when both you and Glowbelly aren't exactly guiltleast, AT LEAST leave the reinforcement comment I made in the other thread, as far as behavioral psychology goes; (quote from wikipedia) "The study of reinforcement has produced an enormous body of reproducible experimental results. Reinforcement is the central concept and procedure in the experimental analysis of behavior."

I'll edit and clean it up if you want, it was like one of the first comments I made in this thread.

Abcdxxxx Apr 2nd, 2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mburbank
chances are my Jew brain is superior to your mongrel brain.

.....said the half breed to the mongrel.

sspadowsky Apr 2nd, 2006 09:29 PM

Say, waitaminnit, Mr. Kettle. Aren't you a half-breed yourself? In fact, aren't you half A-rab?

Kinda brings that whole self-loathing thing to a new level, doesn't it?

Abcdxxxx Apr 2nd, 2006 11:03 PM

Holy shit Sppppud, are you the dumbest door knob on the block, or what? Do you think "Arab" is a religion?

Sethomas Apr 2nd, 2006 11:07 PM

That has to be the funniest thing you've ever said, and it's too bad it wasn't intentional.

kahljorn Apr 3rd, 2006 12:12 AM

I attend my Orthodox halfbreed church every wednesday for half an hour. How about you guys?

mburbank Apr 3rd, 2006 12:28 PM

Half-Breed? Who do you think I am, Cher? No matter what other Jews may think, GOD knows I am 100% Jew, through and through.

Both my parents are Ashkenazi Jews, thanks. Unitarianism, which is most certainly NOT a breed, is my personal choice, and as a Unitarian who does not believe in the divinity of Jesus, it impacts my Judaism in now way at all, religously, culturally, and certainly not gentically.


None of which I give the left hind quarter of a rats ass about. BUT, Phagroh DOES, and since he is a mongrel, he ought to recognize that by his own lights I am statistically likely to be his intellectual superior. He will be happier as soon as he stops thinking and devites himself to brute labor for others, which is just what he was designed for, and the onoy thing that will make him happy.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.