I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   schoolio. (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25870)

Sethomas May 9th, 2007 10:24 PM

I should have graduated in 2006, but I've been kicked out of the University of Chicago twice. Right now I'm at Indiana University-Bloomington, after a year of doing virtually nothing. So, I've taken about 2.6 years of school off when I have a disposition that hates not taking classes. Ideally I would take a few semesters at IU before returning to Chicago--realistically speaking, Summer 2008 at the earliest. I hope to get my BA in Religious Studies... someday.

My plan is to get a Doctor of Theology degree and as many linguistic MAs as possible so I can get a comfortable job teaching religion, philosophy, and however many languages at a small liberal arts college where I'd be desirable. For this to work I'll have to get into a kick-ass grad school, which means I need to build up my GPA, get back to Chicago, flaunt my POD book (to show that I'm passionate, I guess), and get fluency in my languages. My plate's pretty full, I guess. :(

MisSFiT May 10th, 2007 01:17 AM

I thought you were a bloody artist!

Ha I crack myself up.

Sethomas May 12th, 2007 01:21 AM

I just posted one of the reasons I love my old school in Around the Internet. It is FANTASTIC.

Perndog May 12th, 2007 12:35 PM

My mom went back to school when she was like 48, and now she shoots injured and crippled people with X-Rays.

And I had a few classmates in undergrad who were "non-traditional students." The funny thing is, at music school, they're usually has-been rock stars. This one guy used to be moderately successful in the West Coast scene and played with Alice Cooper once or twice. Now he's a Lutheran music therapist and plays at old people's bedsides. Awesome guitar player, though.

FartinMowler May 12th, 2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

The funny thing is, at music school, they're usually has-been rock stars
I considered going to Berkeley for a bass course >: But I worry it's not worth going all the way to Boston for it.

Shyandquietguy May 12th, 2007 07:53 PM

Congrats Glow! Keep it up!

Man, I can really appreciate this. I don't know if my sister is still taking classes but she was doing that and raising two children by herself. Dag yo', it ain't cool to be in school but I know it's better than pretendin' you're a tool!

Perndog May 12th, 2007 08:22 PM

Don't you have to be pretty good to go to Berklee? And maybe be able to spell the name of the school?

FartinMowler May 13th, 2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Don't you have to be pretty good to go to Berklee? And maybe be able to spell the name of the school?
You play a Trombone :lol an instrument that emulates every fart sound imaginable...not really a skill I need to have put to my mouth.

Perndog May 13th, 2007 04:55 PM

So how is it that trombone jokes are going to help you play bass well enough to get into Berklee?

FartinMowler May 15th, 2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Berklee Bass Lines welcomes players of any level of experience, including beginners.
It's just a two day program

glowbelly May 15th, 2007 06:56 PM

i talked to a super nice man named dr malone who did a prereq override for me today after hours ;););) and so now i am enrolled in some kind of biological chemistry class and intermediate algebra STOP LAUGHING CHIMPFACE AND WHOEVER THAT OTHER EX MATH GEEK IS YOU KNOW THE ONE WHO SMOKES POT NOW INSTEAD OF ADDING AND SUBTRACTING.

you just stop laughing because i am not beyond paying you to do my homework.

Cosmo Electrolux May 16th, 2007 09:57 AM

I just got my grades...I made an A in biology :(

AChimp May 16th, 2007 10:09 AM

I'll totally do your homework, Glow! :D

MisSFiT May 16th, 2007 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo Electrolux (Post 490951)
I just got my grades...I made an A in biology :(

Why are you sad?

Geggy May 16th, 2007 12:30 PM

My mom did the same. She went back to school in her early 40's for 2 years and became RN for few years until she got her own office. She currently makes 38 bucks an hour. Don't tell anyone I told you.

MisSFiT May 16th, 2007 12:47 PM

She became an RN for a few years and got her own office? I am just wondering what kind of office she got?

Cosmo Electrolux May 16th, 2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisSFiT (Post 490954)
Why are you sad?

no idea, but I busted my butt for that A.....

Blue Fox May 16th, 2007 03:58 PM

go cosmo!

MisSFiT May 17th, 2007 12:06 AM

whats your secret to studying for biology?!?

VolCanon May 17th, 2007 02:38 AM

The trick is to study even when the material is really goddamn boring. I'm going to the 3rd best school in the country and haven't got anything less than A- for 2 years.

Cosmo Electrolux May 17th, 2007 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisSFiT (Post 491008)
whats your secret to studying for biology?!?

take good notes, pay attention to the lectures, spend all of your lunch breaks and free time in the afternoons in the biology labs. I think that's about it.

MisSFiT May 17th, 2007 06:55 PM

Thanks- I couldn't get through A&PII, my instuctor put me to sleep and she didn't go by the book, and I had a different instructor for lab, I liked him alot, but I couldn't get into his class. Fortunatly she is retiring this year, so I don't have to worry about getting her again, Unfortunatly, so is he...

AChimp May 18th, 2007 09:39 AM

My grades actually went up the less I studied for some classes. I used the Force and trusted my instincts!

Cosmo Electrolux May 18th, 2007 11:13 AM

the best I can manage using the force is a C....

MisSFiT May 18th, 2007 11:48 AM

I need to get me some of that Force. I'm good at math...