I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What are you playing right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697399)

Zhukov Feb 24th, 2011 10:22 AM

I seriously have major fond memories of playing through OoT and Majora's Mask. Just the best games. Makes me smile.

10,000 Volt Ghost Feb 24th, 2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarioRPG (Post 713866)
Oddly enough, I just started playing the Oracles. Finished up Seasons yesterday and decided to give Ages a go. I don't think they are 'fantastic' but they are enjoyable enough. The Roc's Cape is a stupid item though.

Also this is coming from someone who has only played through less than half of Link's Awakening so I can't compare it to anything else really.

I love me some roc's cape.(The one that you can jump with right?)

The oracles games are both enjoyable, especially when played back to back. You get the passcode for secrets. Then THE REAL END BOSS at the end.

And a Triforce ring.

LordSappington Feb 24th, 2011 02:33 PM

I bought Singularity and the new Wolfenstein yesterday, but I haven't gotten to play them yet :(

Fathom Zero Feb 24th, 2011 02:49 PM

I'm sure it would've served you just as well to buy two copies of either game.

Esuohlim Feb 24th, 2011 03:59 PM

I played both the Oracle games around 9/11/01 and they, coupled with not really caring too much, helped me get through those turbulent times!

Guitar Woman Feb 24th, 2011 07:49 PM

Oh wow, I finally got a match on something other than a big money map in StarCraft.

The difference is akin to the smell of freshly-baked bread invading your personal space after having a lump of shit taped under your nose for about a year.

I mean, I got my ass kicked, but it felt like the other guy deserved it. I actually didn't expand at all during the match because I didn't realize you were supposed to; you try that shit on Fastest and you're going to be looking down the noses of about 4,000 hydralisks before you even get a Supply Depot up.

It's a shame that the fabled non-money game only comes along once every thousand years.

Phoenix Gamma Feb 24th, 2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OxBlood (Post 713900)
To me both DS-Zeldas are shit. Phantom Hourglass was just annoying with that fucking temple and uninspired and Spirit Tracks was boring as hell but what can you expect if your main activity is waiting for your stupid train to get where you need to be while you move on linear paths...

My favorite Zelda is and will always be A Link to the past. Still gotta play Majora´s Mask though but I´m afraid that the fuck-ugly graphics will hinder my experience, it´s what happened when I tried playing OoT a few years ago...Many N64 games are among the most ugly pieces of shit I´ve ever seen.

MM looks a little better than Ocarina. Slightly better models and such.
I have a tremendous boner for that game. Second favorite next to LttP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim
I played both the Oracle games around 9/11/01 and they, coupled with not really caring too much, helped me get through those turbulent times!

Spoilers!

Guitar Woman Feb 24th, 2011 09:09 PM

HA!

LordSappington Feb 25th, 2011 12:48 AM

Just started up Singularity today, and I'm really enjoying it. It's not exactly revolutionary, but the whole time mechanics are pretty fun, and it was pretty cool to see how badly saving one random guy fucks up the timestream.
I might write a weekly review when I beat it, if Mock would care enough to put it up.

executioneer Feb 25th, 2011 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma (Post 713944)
zelda ad

holy shit, that's spooky

Guitar Woman Feb 25th, 2011 02:56 AM

I picked up Yahtzee's thing, Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment.

I'm liking it better than the Chzo games because it's like being on a really sarcastic (and pretty damn funny) episode of Star Trek. Hoping it's a bit longer than his other games, I beat 5 Days a Stranger and 7 Days a Skeptic in one or two sittings.

OxBlood Feb 25th, 2011 08:50 AM

And what do you know, I bought Majora´s Mask yesterday. It really doesn´t look as shitty as OOT though I don´t know it has something to do with the WiiWare-Version. Played for about 2 hours and so far I´m enjoying it. I really like the darker tone of the game...even though that grinning moon makes me think of Soul Eater all the time...

executioneer Feb 25th, 2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 713969)
I picked up Yahtzee's thing, Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment.

I'm liking it better than the Chzo games because it's like being on a really sarcastic (and pretty damn funny) episode of Star Trek. Hoping it's a bit longer than his other games, I beat 5 Days a Stranger and 7 Days a Skeptic in one or two sittings.

yeah it was kind of like space quest but with minor RPG elements, i dig that game.

edit: I also liked the way he balanced fairness and hilarious deaths with the redshirts, usually you only get to pick one

mew barios Feb 25th, 2011 11:56 PM

i just played through 4 heroes of light cuz i thought it was another remake of the first final fantasy. i was wrong but i still liked it ok.

DougClayton4231 Feb 26th, 2011 01:57 PM

4 Heroes of Light was pretty good.

I never beat Majora's Mask, should I replay it. I remember it being hard as shit.

Just got Fight Night Champion and I can honestly say that it is the best boxing game ever made...I'm in love lol.

MarioRPG Feb 26th, 2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma (Post 713944)
MM ad

That's pretty crazy man... I think I still have a Nintendo Power or two from around then, I should take a look.
Also, I love Majora's Mask, but I've definitely played OoT more. I didn't own / play Majora's until I got the collectors disc which was a couple years after the gamecube came out.
Majora's seems a lot more character driven at times, and I liked how they changed day to day.

Phoenix Gamma Feb 26th, 2011 11:06 PM

Plus it's really, REALLY fucked up the more you dig into it. Like the thing with the Deku butler and his son, or Romani freaking the fuck out on the third day if you let her get abducted by the aliens...

Esuohlim Feb 27th, 2011 12:05 AM

Majora's Mask has a completely fascinating premise, and everything going on in Clock Town for those three days is cool as shit. During replays the most fun I have involves the Clock Town side quests, and I truly feel that the main quest gets in the way for me as far as entertainment goes. I usually can't get past the Zora Bay area on replays because I just end up getting bored.

Zhukov Feb 27th, 2011 02:38 AM

Games I want to play, * means I have never played them:

Deus Ex *
Blood
No one Lives Forever*
Dungeon Keeper 2*
Starship Titanic *
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
Grim Fandango
Rise of the Triad
Populous 3
Final Fantasy 7*
Total Annihilation
Die by the Sword
Planescape: Torment*
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Beyond Good and Evil*
Black and White 2*
Commandos 1,2,3
Quake 4
Psychonauts*

Phoenix Gamma Feb 27th, 2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 714074)
Majora's Mask has a completely fascinating premise, and everything going on in Clock Town for those three days is cool as shit. During replays the most fun I have involves the Clock Town side quests, and I truly feel that the main quest gets in the way for me as far as entertainment goes. I usually can't get past the Zora Bay area on replays because I just end up getting bored.

Aw, I loved the beach area. But I pretty much loved the whole game :X The very last area is probably my absolute favorite though, especially the final dungeon. Really awesome shit right there.

dextire Mar 2nd, 2011 09:05 PM

I got a gift card and decided to catch-up on some of the games I never played. So I got Dead Space, and Bioshock 1&2.

OxBlood Mar 3rd, 2011 03:34 AM

I´m stuck at Majora´s Mask...I need those stupid Magic Beans and the Nut-Guy won´t sell them to me caus I don´t know how to use them aparently.

I was frustrated on Sunday so I bought Singularity and MOH-Airborne. Both are pretty fun games...in addition, I got Xenogears and Vagrant Story for my PSP which is awesome AND Beyond Good&Evil HD which is cool to of course.

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 3rd, 2011 10:40 AM

I never made it past the first dragon in vagrant story. I liked it up until that point.

darkvare Mar 3rd, 2011 10:51 AM

damn the new zelda looks great i want it now but in the mean time i've been kicking ass online on mvc 3 almost got to a 10 straight wins online

kahljorn Mar 3rd, 2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

I never made it past the first dragon in vagrant story. I liked it up until that point.
:lol

that games so fucking fun :(

the only thing i hate about it is when the one dude dies chumply

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 3rd, 2011 05:58 PM

I was kinda impatient with it because(if I remember correctly) you can't just mash attacks because it lowers your stamina too much. Then I died a ton. :(

Phoenix Gamma Mar 3rd, 2011 08:20 PM

Dissidia Duodecium came out in JapanLand and I've been playing that copy till it comes out later this month in AmericaWorld. The new characters are fucking clutch. Tifa's pretty sweet, and Laguna's just awesome.

Also near the end of Tactics Ogre. Might be my favorite SRPG now. The additions to that remake are the kinda shit I want to see more of in other games.

Lastly, I put my $50 down on a 3DS on the way to work today. THE NEW MARIO GAME COMING OUT FOR IT HAS A RACCOON TAIL ON THE LOGO. THEY'RE GOING TO SHOW IT AT E3. GET HYPE. LKJSBDLKJSBADKJGFBAZSJDF

Fathom Zero Mar 4th, 2011 12:27 AM

It's been a while since I even gave a bit of a shit about a new Mario game - one amongst the thousand in existence and ten-thousand yet to come.

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 4th, 2011 09:16 AM

There's been a flash ad for tactics ogre that really caught my eye. Its a bunch of guys waiting for their turns.

The action menu comes up:
* Preorder at amazon
* Preorder at gamestop
* Go to official website
* Continue running in place

kahljorn Mar 4th, 2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

I was kinda impatient with it because(if I remember correctly) you can't just mash attacks because it lowers your stamina too much.
yea something like that... plus it would raise your RISK bar or some shit which made it easier for people to hit/hurt you or something. DID YOU KNOW YOU COULD MAKE ENEMIES FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU IN THAT GAME by tRICKINg THEIR frieNDS INTO HITTING THEM AND ThEN YOU GiVe THEM HEALTH POTIONS AND thEY fALL IN Love.

i have a psx copy of tactics ogre (the only psx game i never sold), and i love that game :O :O :O
didnt know they redid it though?

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 4th, 2011 05:27 PM

I just found out about tactics ogre a few months ago. At first I thought it was a ff tactics ripoff....then realized it was the exact opposite.

I tried March of the black queen when I was younger and thought it was stupid. I'm sure I'd like it now though.

Phoenix Gamma Mar 4th, 2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost (Post 714460)
I just found out about tactics ogre a few months ago. At first I thought it was a ff tactics ripoff....then realized it was the exact opposite.

I tried March of the black queen when I was younger and thought it was stupid. I'm sure I'd like it now though.

Yea, they're made by the same dudes (the Tactics guys got swallowed by Square). Normally, Tactics Ogre would be the prototype for FFT, but the PSP remakes are whole other beasts. Mostly TO doesn't lag like a motherfucker. Also TO has this rad feature that lets you jump back as many as 50 turns. And since the story has branching paths, instead of replaying it multiple times to see everything, you can beat it once, then revisit points in the game with your current troops and see different outcomes. It's really awesome.

Also you can't make your party members a bunch of walking ubergods who destroy whole universes with every step. This is either good or bad depending on if you like shattering FFT's difficulty curve over your knee.

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 5th, 2011 09:12 AM

Aww, Ogre doesn't have TG Cid in it then??

I don't have a PSP though. I kind of want to get a 3DSI for megaman legends 3 reaaaaaaaaallll bad.

Fathom Zero Mar 6th, 2011 03:00 AM

So I got on TF2 for the first time in four months and I was bombarded by tons of people wanting to trade with me because, apparently, I've got rare items. I ordered Sam & Max during the first week of release and I got the Big Kill, Lugermorph, and Max's Severed Head. Any one of these items, (save the Lugermorph, because it became unlockable later), are worth over a hundred dollars in real dollars.

Between those and all of the vintage items I have, I could make a LOT of money if I sold them.

So I'm having a crisis. Prestige or dollars? I'm a student, but even several hundred dollars will barely make a dent in anything.

Grislygus Mar 6th, 2011 05:40 AM

Jesus goddamned christ, you gaming people. SELL THE SHIT. NOW. THERE IS NO QUESTION HERE. 'Course, you people never actually part with your virtual crap, no matter what anyone tells you...

Fathom Zero Mar 6th, 2011 05:50 AM

But I never get anything like this. I think it's pretty cool. And I love the shit out of Sam & Max.

And I'm obsessive-compulsive.

Fathom Zero Mar 6th, 2011 06:25 AM

Yeah, I'm probably gonna sell them, I've decided. I'm gonna keep my vintage shit, though. I'm very proud of those. They don't go for as much, either - I've just got a lot of them.

Phoenix Gamma Mar 6th, 2011 09:56 AM

I keep my stuff, cause I use pretty much everything and swap shit all the time.

Also, I'm trying to talk myself out of buying the new Pokemon game today while I'm at work. Even though I can pirate it. And I'm gonna be 23years old for fuck's sake. I have no idea why I have this urge. I'm probably just ancy for the 3DS I preordered.

OxBlood Mar 6th, 2011 11:24 AM

I just got Poké Black&White on Friday for...well, my Mom and me, she likes these games for some reason ;)

It´s...I don´t know how to describe it...it´s more relaxed. There´s healers everywhere, you seem to level way quicker this time around and the TMs (don´t know how they´re called in the english Version) are not one-time items anymore so you can experiment as much as you want. A steal for 25 bucks a piece...oh and it looks good too :)

kahljorn Mar 6th, 2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Also you can't make your party members a bunch of walking ubergods who destroy whole universes with every step. This is either good or bad depending on if you like shattering FFT's difficulty curve over your knee.
I'm guessing it doesn't have the 1000 million level dungeon at the end where you can get that item that can turn a level 100 person into a level 1 person and they keep all of their stats and shit?
also the item so you can turn those people you turned into level 1's a million times into a weapon?

Phoenix Gamma Mar 6th, 2011 07:48 PM

Uh, I'm just about at the end of the game and haven't seen anything remotely like that. The game forces you to specialize each character instead of giving them everything and the kitchen sink. So for instance I give my two mages two different elements each; one element is shared, one is unique. That way I'm still covering three different weaknesses, and since hitting an enemy with a spell sometimes makes them weak to that element, I can have both mages spam the same element and wreck the stronger enemies.

Oh! But levelling is different in the remake! It's like Valkyria Chronicles: you level up the classes, not the individuals. So recruiting a Knight will boost him to whatever level your knights are instantly. Unless it's a class you've never used, you don't have the grind their level, just their skill points (and they get the same amount as everyone else at the end of a battle so they don't have to do jackshit.)

darkvare Mar 6th, 2011 11:43 PM

just bought yakuza 3 haven't played much cause i had nier rented

Immortal Goat Mar 7th, 2011 01:47 AM

Just when I get tired of WoW, I get DCUO. Ah well, who needs a life anyway?

Zhukov Mar 7th, 2011 05:33 AM

Dawn of War II: Retribution is alright. I preferred the first one, as I don't like this RPG bullshit seeping into my RTS games.

Fathom Zero Mar 7th, 2011 11:04 AM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

kahljorn Mar 7th, 2011 01:36 PM

skill points? sounds a lot different, actually :O

LordSappington Mar 7th, 2011 03:47 PM

Bought Serious Sam: The Second Encounter on the Arcade. So far it's pretty fun, but not as challenging as I expected. Most of my deaths have come from failing platforming sequences, and not the hordes of enemies it promised.
Also, the item placements and level designs are kind of irritating. A lot of the time, I've been in huge, open fields, with MAYBE 40 enemies at once, and items obscured by tall grass. It becomes a chore, scrounging around trying to find that health vial you swore you saw.

Dr. Boogie Mar 7th, 2011 04:02 PM

They stop doing tall grass after the mayan levels. Also, I think you can tweak the draw distance so that the grass isn't visible until it's much closer. Or just turn it off, period.

Phoenix Gamma Mar 7th, 2011 07:46 PM

Beat Bit.Trip Flux. Fun little game, but not as good at Beat. At least they added fucking checkpoints this time. >:

Also, Wind Waker in 1080p in Dolphin is really pretty.

darkvare Mar 7th, 2011 09:26 PM

i finally started playing yakuza 3 too many cutscenes

Fathom Zero Mar 8th, 2011 03:27 AM

If you guys know any idiots that would actually bother with something like this, I'd appreciate it if you'd pimp this to 'em - http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...php?p=21154167

It's my WTS thread for my TF2 items.

OxBlood Mar 8th, 2011 03:59 AM

Sorry, don´t know anyone. People really pay money for things like that? Those things don´t increase your performance right, they´re just cosmetic?

In other news, I spent a buck on Miner: Dig Deep (Indie XBL-Game) and BAM - 4,5 hours where gone before I realized it was the middle of the night. I don´t know what it is but I fucking love Mining-Games. Maybe because I´m from the Rheinland, who knows.

Anyway, if you haven´t played it and you got some hours to spare, give it a try, it´s pretty good.

Also got my 3rd Medal in Pokemon White before my head decided it was time for a splitting headache and I literally had to skip the rest of the day at 8 in the evening...I hate days like that.

Fathom Zero Mar 8th, 2011 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OxBlood (Post 714657)
Sorry, donīt know anyone. People really pay money for things like that? Those things donīt increase your performance right, theyīre just cosmetic?

Certain items do, now. Used to just be that there were hats and a couple unlockable weapons, but I didn't play for something like four months and there's a lot of new shit. Because I've had the items that I do for a long time, they are of a "Vintage" status as well, which also makes them highly desirable.

If you could share it with absolutely anybody that knows video games or TF2, I'd appreciate.

executioneer Mar 8th, 2011 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OxBlood (Post 714657)
In other news, I spent a buck on Miner: Dig Deep (Indie XBL-Game) and BAM - 4,5 hours where gone before I realized it was the middle of the night. I donīt know what it is but I fucking love Mining-Games. Maybe because Iīm from the Rheinland, who knows.

Anyway, if you havenīt played it and you got some hours to spare, give it a try, itīs pretty good.

i got that too, it's pretty fun. I was sure it was a remake of that "Motherload" flash game, but i guess it's just a suspiciously similar game :eek

King Hadas Mar 8th, 2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma (Post 714628)
Also, Wind Waker in 1080p in Dolphin is really pretty.

This took some sleuthing for me to decipher I guess that means I'm out of the loop. Wind Waker was my favorite Zelda game by the way.

Was listening to some NWA and it made want to play San Andreas again.

Fathom Zero Mar 8th, 2011 09:48 PM

Dolphin is the Wii emulator. It also has the added bonus of upscaling textures to 1080p resolution.

Dimnos Mar 8th, 2011 10:49 PM

Restarted New Vegas, this time on hardcore. Keeping up with food and water isnt as bad as I thought but not really being able to heal without a high medicine skill is kind of sucking hard. Crippled limbs suck hard too.

executioneer Mar 8th, 2011 11:19 PM

yeah getting injuries or starvation without access to food can be really dangerous if you're in a radiated area and near your weight limit

Dimnos Mar 9th, 2011 12:08 PM

and your cyberdog just got his head blown off by a super mutant. :tear

Zhukov Mar 9th, 2011 11:29 PM

Dolphin was the code name for the Wii back in about 1999.

On a related note, I pre-ordered the 3DS. It remains to be seen if this is a good idea or not, as this is the first time I've been apprehensive about getting a new system (of sorts).

OxBlood Mar 10th, 2011 01:03 AM

3 hours into Dragon Age 2 and enjoying it. Seems to be a little less PC-ish this time which is a big plus. Also having the MC talk is a lot more natural. Playing mage of course.

Phoenix Gamma Mar 10th, 2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhukov (Post 714799)
Dolphin was the code name for the Wii back in about 1999.

On a related note, I pre-ordered the 3DS. It remains to be seen if this is a good idea or not, as this is the first time I've been apprehensive about getting a new system (of sorts).

I'll be demoing it at PAX East this weekened :rock

Chojin Mar 10th, 2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OxBlood (Post 714806)
Also having the MC talk is a lot more natural.

master chief?

MLE Mar 10th, 2011 03:23 PM

MC Hammer?

Fathom Zero Mar 10th, 2011 05:31 PM

Main character, guize

Guitar Woman Mar 10th, 2011 08:48 PM

I got Baldur's Gate 2! To hell with your fancy graphics!

I wanted to play a Mage, but as per usual in WRPGs the magic-based class is completely worthless, so I switched to Thief. Which is also worthless since the stealth doesn't seem to do much, and I didn't know the only thief skillz that mattered were detecting and disarming traps.

It's... fun? I sat down to take a work break for about 30 minutes and ended up playing it for 3 hours without realizing, but I'm not really sure whether I was enjoying myself or not. Such is the nature of Bioware, I guess.

Dimnos Mar 10th, 2011 09:58 PM

You have to stick it out with a mage. They suck early game but nuke ass later. If I remember correctly there are a few spell caster types. I believe its the sorcerer you want.

DougClayton4231 Mar 11th, 2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OxBlood (Post 714806)
3 hours into Dragon Age 2 and enjoying it. Seems to be a little less PC-ish this time which is a big plus. Also having the MC talk is a lot more natural. Playing mage of course.

I'm really enjoying Dragon Age 2 as well. I like how they streamlined everything and made the combat fun.

On another note, I just played Homefront and it's pretty bad. It looks like a hi-rez Xbox game and plays like Call of Duty 1.5. The multiplayer is different though. I was actually excited for this game, but it's a huge letdown :(

Dr. Boogie Mar 12th, 2011 12:05 AM

Playing Dragon Age: Origins.

The more I play this game, the more I hate it. I'm finding I need to quicksave after every successful fight because every single one has the potential to end it disaster. I particularly like that certain enemies (even low-level enemies) can choose to knock one of your characters down and beat them to death while you look on in horror.

Also, who the hell at Bioware thought it would be a good idea to have a character who hates it when you take on/complete side quests?

executioneer Mar 12th, 2011 12:32 AM

yeah that's why the dog was in my party despite him being kind of crap

one less mouth to have to tell to shut up and do what i told them

Dr. Boogie Mar 12th, 2011 12:39 AM

Oh, and fights with revenants are hilarious, both in how quickly they end and in how unexpectedly they pop up. Imagine any other game where you can stumble upon a boss fight wherein the boss wipes out half the hit points of your entire party with one swing.

What am I missing about this game that makes it fun instead of just frustrating?

Fathom Zero Mar 12th, 2011 01:01 AM

Yeah, I'm playing it too and it's really bothering me.

That and it's pretty ugly, even though it was out just a couple years ago.

executioneer Mar 12th, 2011 01:31 AM

i didn't have too much problems once i got ahold of wynne, having a healer really helps out

plus sometimes you really gotta micromanage tactics in combat :(

Fathom Zero Mar 12th, 2011 01:53 AM

If anything, it all reminded me of how much I love the Mass Effects. God they're so good.

executioneer Mar 12th, 2011 02:07 AM

ehh they're about the same for me

neither one has really pleasing combats

OxBlood Mar 12th, 2011 03:33 AM

Mass Effect does have the better combats imo. Less managing, more fighting.

The second Dragon Age seems to be a bit better in that department too. I just had a fight against 4 mages and about 17million skeletons but with just a little coordination, I was able to beat them, even without a tank.

You do get a designated healer again by the way, it helps, but not as much as Wynne did, at least that´s my impression.

But the best thing about DA2: It doesn´t have these lameass boring slow battles D&D is so well known for. They´re fast, they´re brutal and they´re over rather quickly. Even the mages are fast. Though I really don´t know how to skill mine. Made him a primal mage so far, petrifying dudes and throwing lightning. It´s ok I guess.

Guitar Woman Mar 12th, 2011 04:22 PM

Dragon Age must be pretty fucking bad to have worse combat than Gears of War style barrier-cowering.

That said, I downloaded Mass Effect with the intention of maxing out my sniping skill or whatever as early as possible and just breezing through every combat sequence from 4 miles away so I could enjoy the story, which I've said before is pretty aight. I'll probably have to give up on making a FemShep, since she always seems to get major turtle-lip no matter how far I make her chin jut out, and I end up playing as a space librarian.

King Hadas Mar 12th, 2011 04:59 PM

When I played Dragon Age I just turned the difficulty down to the lowest setting. I'd feel lame doing that with most games but I only play Bioware games for their stories. From the little amount I did play on normal it seemed unreasonable difficult.

Dimnos Mar 12th, 2011 07:38 PM

when I played DA I built a solid team and actually issued orders to them. Kicked ass most of the game and didnt seam to have these issues. :\

Dr. Boogie Mar 12th, 2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimnos (Post 714981)
when I played DA I built a solid team and actually issued orders to them.

You had to add that, didn't you?

My difficulties with the game stem from a number of different factors, I'm finding. In particular, I have only 5 party members, not one of them a dedicated healer, so that's complicating things a little. I also don't have access to any AoE spells yet, which is what every guide I've looked at recommends you use for all the troublesome fights I've encountered.

So really, the big problem here is that I didn't do the main quest in order. Had I realized there was a specific order that these things need to be done in, believe me, I would have gone directly to the mage tower first off. I guess I just didn't expect Bioware to give me the illusion of choice like that.

King Hadas Mar 12th, 2011 09:36 PM

Personally I don't like these types of rpgs. Their mechanics feel convoluted to me and the more novel abilities like stealth or trap making are rarely intuitive and often useless. Early in Dragon Age I got to a segment where I needed to get past a group of revenants in order to collect a quest item. Having had my ass destroyed several times getting to this point I decided to sneak past them. I was playing, in my mind, as a taciturn dwarf rouge with a secret heart of gold so this made sense to me. The game wouldn't allow it though, maybe what I was trying was possible but I never figured out how. Here's where I turned the difficulty down and breezed through the rest of the game.

Phoenix Gamma Mar 12th, 2011 10:04 PM

Played the 3DS at PAX East. I'm legitimately impressed now. Especially by the AR game; a lot of the games I played were like PSP games, but on a DS, but the AR card game really blew my mind. There's an absurd amount of potential with that device, and I'm really excited to see what comes out for it. The target practice with the AR had some moments that were just fantastic, and the 3D effects are pretty cool.

I was sad, though; Kid Icarus is completely unplayable for us lefties, and even if it was, the controls are a tad rubbish. Pretty as hell, though. The two chicks cosplaying as Saria and Shiek playing Ocarina of Time with me made up for this though.

Also played some other games. Duke Nukem's booth was hilarious and the demo was fun, Child of Eden is pretty cool, and FEZ almost makes me want a 360. Overall, it was a fantastic show and infinitely better than last year's PAX East. Fucking huge show floor, from the big Portal 2 booth to the classy as fuck Duke Nukem setup (complete with chandelier and the trashiest booth babes I've ever seen), to a giant fucking Pikachu balloon floating over probably four other nonNintendo booths.

MLE Mar 12th, 2011 10:17 PM

You all change games too often. I am still playing DCUO and loving it. I actually enjoy PvP, and at the same time, can be the most frustrated over PvP in this game. It's fantastic.

Fathom Zero Mar 12th, 2011 10:28 PM

I wish I had the tolerance to play a single MMORPG for a thousand and a half years.

Phoenix Gamma Mar 12th, 2011 10:37 PM

I wish MMORPGs were fun enough to warrant a monthly fee.

Dr. Boogie Mar 13th, 2011 12:21 AM

The longest I've ever played an MMO was WoW for a month. By the end of that month, the gap between levels was just too great, and I realized I was only playing Wailing Caverns over and over again because everyone I knew at the onset had quit playing after about a week.

Grislygus Mar 13th, 2011 01:29 AM

I'm quite happy to have never touched an MMORPG in my life.

Grislygus Mar 13th, 2011 01:37 AM

It does, however, mean that I get bumped out of conversations at the college all the time, seeing as how everyone is a game art major now :( I'M SORRY I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HOW THE NIGHT ELVES WERE TOTALLY STUPID TO TRUST THE ZOMBIE PEOPLE. I WAS JUST TRYING TO SHOOT THE SHIT ABOUT ART AND MOVIES, JESUS GODDAMNED CHRIST

AND I DON'T GIVE TWO TIN SHITS ABOUT YOUR BIG GAME PLAN TO OUTSMART EVERYONE AND GET INTO "TEXTURING". GO LOOK AT A PAINTING OR SOMETHING back on topic, I actually busted out Gladius again today. I wish someone else on Earth liked it!

Fathom Zero Mar 13th, 2011 03:31 AM

I fucking love Gradius. Those are my roots. I always go back to it when I put down DoDonPachi or Espgaluda. That and Darius and Parodius.

EDIT: I thought you meant Gradius. :(

Gladius is good too, though, from what I hear.

Zhukov Mar 13th, 2011 06:41 AM

I know this girl that was really into WoW, and she liked talking about it. Having never played it, I just trusted my already vast knowledge of fantasy settings and races to follow along without feeling left out of the conversation.

Grislygus Mar 13th, 2011 01:25 PM

Following ONE person's jabbering is fine, sure. Not when three other people show up and turn a small conversation about David Alfarro Siquieros into a forty-five minute conversation about the differences between their personal goddamned video game characters, what items said characters have, what items they HAVE had at some point in time, what plot points those characters have encountered, and how specific plot points were affected by specific VOICE ACTORS, followed by an emotional and graphic portrayal (complete with elaborate hand gestures and body movement) about how this one orc chieftain totally picked this one dude up by the throat and was all like "YOU ARE DISMISSED" and dropped the dude into an interdimensional rift and it was so AWESOME, wasn't it AWESOME, it was just GREAT.

Once is enough. Three times a week is annoying as fuck. Talk about SOMETHING, ANYTHING else. JUST ONCE.
Oh. Good. Now you're talking exclusively about D&D and Warhammer. That's... better?

Esuohlim Mar 13th, 2011 02:05 PM

I AM PLAYING A LOT OF CLUE FOR SEGA GENESIS LATELY

Dr. Boogie Mar 13th, 2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 715017)
I AM PLAYING A LOT OF CLUE FOR SEGA GENESIS LATELY

I like that it's still considered winning even if it turns out that you're the murderer.

LordSappington Mar 14th, 2011 12:39 AM

You should get some new objective as the murderer where you have to methodically kill the other players one by one while avoiding capture.
Also, bought and beat Black Ops. I liked the story, but it didn't feel as intense as MW2's story. It was less 'I REALLY WANT TO KICK SOME ASS', and more 'I wonder why he's crazy. Oh he was brainwashed. Cool.'
Also, gotta love the ridiculous, last-minute "FUCK YEAH AMERICA!" shot at the end of the game. How they mobilized all those infantry and battleships to Cuba that quick is a fucking miracle.

kahljorn Mar 14th, 2011 12:50 AM

in the first dragon age i just got sleep and nightmare on one chick and then my main was an assassin type and whenever they got sleeped / nightmared my assassin would go crazy and rape murder everyone cause of attacks of oppurtinityandshitormaybeimthinkingof neverwinter nights but i think those were in dragon age :O

executioneer Mar 14th, 2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie (Post 715047)
I like that it's still considered winning even if it turns out that you're the murderer.

i always took that outcome to mean that you either successfully covered up all evidence or murdered everyone else too

Guitar Woman Mar 14th, 2011 02:03 AM

I've gotta give props to Bioware for letting me play Mass Effect as basically a gunhappy Jon Pertwee. With tits.

I kinda love being a diplomatic hero instead of just shooting everyone. Maybe one day there'll be a video game where you don't even have to fight anyone, you can just talk your way out of literally every encounter by being awesome enough.

I plan to never switch Tali and Wrex out of my party if I can help it, fuck those other guys. Except maybe Garrus, he's all right. I'm also not sure if the game engine is just really good or if my computer is better than I give it credit for, but I'm running it on high settings with no slowdown and shit looks great.

The driving parts are not nearly as horrifying as I was led to believe, although the PC port could have had the Mako's handling tweaked or something. I also accidentally made FemShep's face hilariously grotesque; the back half of her skull got left really wide because I couldn't find the slider bar for it, so her giant lumpy meathead tapers creepily into the face one might expect from a lithe french gymnast. It looked fine on the character creation screen, but this is like the 5th fucking time I've accidentally made an ugly mutant Shepard and I'm starting to resent myself for being a total failure at pixel sculpting. I was avoiding having to look at pyramid-face by wearing a helmet all the time, but I've only just left the Citadel and I'm not sure I've put my skill points into the right stuff, as is usually the case with Bioware's shite, so I'd probably be better off starting over now instead of getting all the way to the final boss and having my ass utterly handed to me due to improper skill development. Cough cough KOTOR.

Not that I'm complaining, since I actually really like this game. Also, the sound seems a bit buggy; in proper cutscenes I'm able to hear everyone talking over the music and ambient noises, but idle chatter between my party members is drowned out by everything else like they're standing on the other side of a city block whispering at me.

Fathom Zero Mar 14th, 2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 715055)
Maybe one day there'll be a video game where you don't even have to fight anyone, you can just talk your way out of literally every encounter by being awesome enough.

It's called Fallout: New Vegas.

Guitar Woman Mar 14th, 2011 02:19 AM

I'll put it on my list, but it'd feel completely wrong to play any Fallout game and not be a violent, omnicidal sociopath.

Especially the new ones; they put so much effort into having everyone explode into brilliant carnage snowflakes when they die, I wouldn't want to make the modelers cry.

Fathom Zero Mar 14th, 2011 02:23 AM

Someone completed a no-kill playthrough of it some time ago. It's pretty close to the original Fallouts, as opposed to Fallout 3.