I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What are you playing right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697399)

Phoenix Gamma Nov 11th, 2010 03:19 AM

Except for the parts where you're zigzagging in the bigger rooms because of the D-Pad. And firing missiles with the awful first person controls. And pixel hunting in first person to progress the story (green blood on green grass! of course!) And fighting repetitive bosses. And charging through long hallways taking heat damage because Adam thinks you shouldn't have heat-resistant armor. And the parts were the environments are shallow, lifeless, and have almost nothing in them and zero exploring (which would be...all of it.)

Game's pretty shallow and mediocre. Also, Sakamoto's stubbornness to include joystick support is just retarded. I don't know if anyone gave him the memo, but the N64 got a joystick to make 3D games playable. That's why Sony added it after they realized how frustrating a D-Pad is in 3D.

That game's just packed with bad decisions. Gunpei Yokoi must be spinning in his grave faster than a morph ball.

Guitar Woman Nov 11th, 2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

green blood on green grass! of course!
goddamnit, this got me too. I kept thinking, "Well, guys, maybe I could figure out what happened better if you'd let me see the fucking body" and "Ok, James is probably the traitor, maybe if I shot him right away I could avoid a lot of Redshirtery"

Other than that you can generally figure out what you're supposed to be looking for if you either wave the Wii-remote around on the screen a whole lot or pretend to be Sherlock Holmes and deduce the fuck out of every visual clue. I apply a mix of either method.

I thought the controls would be horrible, but they really aren't. Simplistic, maybe, but Metroid has always essentially been a game where you do three things: shoot stuff, run around, and turn into a marble to blow the walls up. The core gameplay just feels right, for some reason; it's all fancy and streamlined and shit. I think I've accidentally turned on "squishy child" mode, since Samus seems to bullet-time dodge everything automatically if I'm not in motion and don't jump out of the way. Or sometimes when I am in motion. It's finnicky. I can kinda see the complaints about missile mode, but the only enemies you really need to use them on are either slow or stunnable with a charge shot; just beat up on them until they flash vunerable and shove explosives up their arses. My only real beef is that yeah, it's on rails harder than all the other Metroids, but so was Fusion and that's easily the best game in the series.

The Pyrosphere wasn't as retarded as I thought it'd be, since they scaled the convection-damage way down from what it was in the other games. The part that really pissed me off is how hard it is to get out of lava if you get knocked over. The boss in the volcano at the end really kicked my shit in because of his cheeky attack telegraphing, but I haven't really had a game wail on me in a while so I hope it gets harder.

I rather think the environments all look great, too, this is one of the prettier Wii games.

Haters gonna hate, I guess.

OxBlood Nov 11th, 2010 04:53 AM

Hm, that 2 Worlds has kind of an interesting Magic system...all very modular...I combine the fire element with the projectile carrier and have some kind of fireball. If I leave out the damage modificator though it becomes a blinding projectile...or I could combine the air element with the summoning carrier and I get a Wasp-Pet...I need more modules...errr cards.

Guitar Woman Nov 11th, 2010 06:12 AM

Oh my god, I just got to the Ridley scene :lol

Honestly, Samus shitting a brick might have been a decent idea if this game wasn't the second-latest in the timeline. So, after ruining Ridley's shit in Metroid 1, Metroid Prime 1 and 3, and twice in Super Metroid, she's suddenly all PTSD Clarinet Kid whenever he shows up? I would think Ridley'd be more terrified of her at this point.

That aside, I was almost able to take it seriously until the part where Samus falls a long way without the power suit, only she's doing ninja-flips for some reason while yelling "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" and I couldn't not bust out laughing.

The more of the plot I see the more I feel like a dirty whore for enjoying this game. As a Metroid fan, I am being anally raped, but as a gamer, I am being served a fresh, delicious guava on a golden platter.

I really have no idea what to tell people about Other M. The narrative is a filthy abomination, a repeat of which must not be encouraged, but on the other hand it's really a good action title and the Wii's still basically a starving african child in terms of releases actually intended for people who play video games.

NON METROID STUFF: I got Kirby's Epic Yarn, too. The ramped-up cuteness makes the wanton, ruthless slaughter of thousands upon thousands of Waddle Dees profoundly more disturbing than usual. Seriously, Kirby turns into a little pink yarn car when he runs and a submarine when he goes underwater! How fucking cute is that? It's the most ridiculously adorable game I've seen since Yoshi's Story. You're likely to get diabetes just by watching the trailer.

DougClayton4231 Nov 11th, 2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma (Post 703678)
Except for the parts where you're zigzagging in the bigger rooms because of the D-Pad. And firing missiles with the awful first person controls. And pixel hunting in first person to progress the story (green blood on green grass! of course!) And fighting repetitive bosses. And charging through long hallways taking heat damage because Adam thinks you shouldn't have heat-resistant armor. And the parts were the environments are shallow, lifeless, and have almost nothing in them and zero exploring (which would be...all of it.)

Game's pretty shallow and mediocre. Also, Sakamoto's stubbornness to include joystick support is just retarded. I don't know if anyone gave him the memo, but the N64 got a joystick to make 3D games playable. That's why Sony added it after they realized how frustrating a D-Pad is in 3D.

That game's just packed with bad decisions. Gunpei Yokoi must be spinning in his grave faster than a morph ball.

I can't believe that we're talking about that piece of shit again. I swear to God that that was the most disappointing game of the past 5-10 years. If I ever hear her lethargic, braindead droning again...actually, I don't know what I'd do...

My girlfriend called me gay for playing Epic Yarn. Hilarious.

Phoenix Gamma Nov 11th, 2010 11:34 AM

There's another scene where Samus gets taken down by one shot of the ice pistol, then is left totally defenseless, in her zero suit, unable to stand, gasping for air, for like 15 minutes.

Oh, and you'll learn to hate the missiles after you play the story's final boss, GW. Oh, and I'll tell you right now, the game never reveals the Deleter. It gets dropped for another subplot.

JAPAN. YOU SUCK AT STORYTELLING.

Epic Yarn convinced me to never kill a Waddle Dee. Especially the two sleeping under the tree together in that one level. One tried to tackle me, but he went like 2 inches, hit the ground, and squeaked. If you want disturbing slaughter, though, the new game added in the Super Star remake on DS has a story that basically boils down to "Kirby sees Dedede's castle. Kills millions. Even the right hand man who is just a Waddle Dee with a hat." Oh, and Squeak Squad, where Kirby loses his cake and decides EVERYONE MUST DIE. Then he accidentally saves the world in the process.

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 11th, 2010 11:40 AM

lol, kirbys a jerk.

Phoenix Gamma Nov 11th, 2010 12:14 PM

Someone asked me if there was a game character who could beat Superman. Given that Kirby can't die in Epic Yarn, and he's split a planet in two with his bare...fist stubs...I'd say he's pretty much the strongest character in fiction next to God.

BUT HE'S SO CYUTE <33333333333

Esuohlim Nov 11th, 2010 12:19 PM

WARIO CAN'T DIE EITHER

UNLESS YOU'RE PLAYING THE FIRST WARIO GAME FOR GAMEBOY

THE BEST ONE

Esuohlim Nov 11th, 2010 12:21 PM

BY THE WAY IF THIS WERE 1996 I WOULD BE TOTALLY ON THE UP AND UP ON ALL THE CURRENT GAMES

YOU CRAZY KIDS

Phoenix Gamma Nov 11th, 2010 12:51 PM

JUST WATCH OPRAH. SHE'S DOWN WITH THE KINECT AND SHIT.

ALSO WARIO'S UGLY AND NEVER KARATE CHOPPED A PLANET IN HALF OR KILLED THE SUN AND THE MOON AT THE SAME TIME. KIRBY WINS.

King Hadas Nov 11th, 2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 703682)
Oh my god, I just got to the Ridley scene :lol

I just watched that shit on Youtube. I don't know, maybe Samus suffers from some sort of extreme social anxiety disorder. She was fighting those lava monsters no problem before she encounters Ridley so maybe her reaction is more like stage fright because that other dude was there too.

Phoenix Gamma Nov 11th, 2010 01:21 PM

It's hard fighting Ridley when you've already killed him twice. (four times if you count the Prime games as canon.)

Oh wait. It's not hard. At all.

Esuohlim Nov 11th, 2010 01:33 PM

Why wouldn't the Prime games be canon? What makes them any less of a Metroid game dude don't make me KICK YOUR ASS

DougClayton4231 Nov 11th, 2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 703714)
Why wouldn't the Prime games be canon? What makes them any less of a Metroid game dude don't make me KICK YOUR ASS

lmao. I thought that they were the games that preceded Super Metroid although I could be wrong :\

Phoenix Gamma Nov 11th, 2010 02:01 PM

Yea, the Prime games are supposed to take place between Metroid 2 and Super. But since Sakaoto (the dude who directed Super, Fusion, and Other M) wasn't directly involved, he doesn't count them.

BUT THAT'S NOT IMPORTANT. THIS IS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVoSYDWX2Ig
IT'S OCTODAD. A DAD WHO IS AN OCTOPUS.

Dimnos Nov 11th, 2010 03:27 PM

Metroid 2? Wasnt that the one on the GB where you get the baby metroid at the end? Then doesnt she take it straight to the guys at the begining of super? How does she have the time to do anything in between? Is the baby metroid just sitting on her ship waiting for her to get done with whatever grand adventure? Arent there other metroids in the prime games? Isnt that baby supposed to be the last of its kind at that time?

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 11th, 2010 04:34 PM

I thought samus dropped the metroid off at the beginning of 3, end of 2. Then returned a short time later when ridley stole the metroid.

Dimnos Nov 11th, 2010 04:37 PM

by 3 do you mean super? Because I thought super happened right after 2.

Note: I am NOT a Metroid aficionado.

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 11th, 2010 05:14 PM

yeah, 3 is super.

Guitar Woman Nov 11th, 2010 06:42 PM

The prime games take place between 1 and 2, sillyheads

I wouldn't hesitate to not count Prime 3 as canon, what a piece of shit

DougClayton4231 Nov 11th, 2010 09:09 PM

I concur. Prime 3 was Metroid for dummies.

Anyone else excited for Splatterhouse and DKC?

Phoenix Gamma Nov 11th, 2010 10:36 PM

Prime 3 was fine. It didn't shit on the whole franchise like Other M. Fans pretty much retconned it themselves.

AND I'VE BEEN POSTING SHIT ABOUT DK FOR AWHILE NOW. GOD NO ONE EVER CLICKS MY LINKS. >:
EDIT: actually I think I only posted 2 trailers. BUT Y'ALL A BUNCH AH BUSTAS REGARDLESS. >:

OxBlood Nov 12th, 2010 05:28 AM

I´ve never given one shit about the story of Metroid. Some gal in a suit collects keys that take the form of weapons and armor and busts some purple or red Pterodaktyl´s ass and then the brain-squids show up but you freeze them and you´re fine. Credits roll, you had fun, thank you Metroid. Now just to clarify, I really like the Metroid games, the 2D ones at least, Prime didn´t do it for me somehow.

And again concerning 2 Worlds 2:
With the purchase of one spell card I unlocked about 40% more spells, yay. There´s so much shit going on with the magic in that game...

Also ordered Majin and the forsaken kingdom cause I loved the demo already :)

Dr. Boogie Nov 12th, 2010 06:20 AM

Did they fix combat, and the way everything scales up in such a way that you never feel like you're getting any better at anything?

I guess what I'm saying is talk more about Two Worlds 2.

OxBlood Nov 12th, 2010 06:39 AM

Oh I do feel like I´m getting better at the stuff I do this time. I´m a pure Mage so I can´t tell you how Melee and Ranged Combat fares this time around but in my "normal" boards I read that it´s pretty good in those departments though ranged seems to be a little clunky at times.

The enemies that scared me away 3 levels ago are now beatable cause I have so many more choices. I can work with damage-reflection, projectiles, shieldspells, summons, debuffs, buffs, I can blind them, I can raise their friends to do my bidding, I can lay heal-traps in advance behind me...Health regeneration is also really fucking fast out of combat like 10 seconds and I´m back to max.

The crafting is also more than "press two swords together and repeat it 100 times to get the best weapon in the game". You dismantle existing stuff to get ressources that you can improve your equipment with which also unlocks gem-slots for additional effects. You can then insert a finishing-gem that boosts all stats on that item but locks it at the same time so you can´t improve it any further.

Then there´s alchemy but that´s pretty straightforward. Pop some things in the pot and get a potion, easy stuff. Ingredients are everywhere, bonemarrow, plants, heads, tounges...

The best thing is the magic system as I said before because it´s so dang modular you can forge new spells in matters of seconds via the component-cards you have.

All in all I´m really suprised in a positive way about this game. I kinda expected another Risen or Gothic 4 and it´s way better than those in any department but story maybe. It also seems to be a direct sequel to the first game and you play the same guy I think.

King Hadas Nov 12th, 2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OxBlood (Post 703801)
Iīve never given one shit about the story of Metroid.

Metroid has never really had a story to give a shit about. Most of what we know about Samus was probably taken from instruction manuals and passed on word of mouth. Other M is a departure because it has a very pronounced storyline and it's awful.

Anyways, beat No More Heroes. Here's a game that makes me feel like a bit of a chump for playing it. It's like I'm a rat being stringed along by the scent of cheese. The cheese is there but is it worth the time getting it? If NMH was difficult that would be one thing. In a narrative you have suspension of disbelief, in video games you have suspension of a guilty conscience. I could definitely be doing something more productive but if a game is challenging me it gives me the illusion that I'm accomplishing something. No More Heroes is pretty easy, and the difficult parts are hard like getting 777 on a slot machine is hard.

I liked the incomplete ending more than the real one.

Spoilers!

DougClayton4231 Nov 12th, 2010 10:56 PM

I hated No More Heroes and its sequel. Travis Touchdown was a total douchebag and the gameplay was awful (why swing the wiimote when you could mash the A button?). I had such high hopes for the games but they both left a bad taste in my mouth.

Phoenix Gamma Nov 12th, 2010 11:11 PM

The second game was better because it was less awful.

And Travis is supposed to be a more pathetic Johnny Knoxville. So yea, douchebag.

DougClayton4231 Nov 13th, 2010 08:52 AM

...really? That makes me cry. The second game had less glaring flaws, but it still managed to be monotonous and absurd.

My PC decided to have an aneurysm yesterday, so I had to replace the motherboard. Now I'm 50$ broker and my graphics card refuses to work :) Got to love bad luck days lol.

RaNkeri Nov 13th, 2010 06:26 PM

4 hours of Sonic 3 & Knuckles with friends, fuck yeah!

Esuohlim Nov 13th, 2010 06:28 PM

Now there's a sentiment I can agree with!

OxBlood Nov 14th, 2010 07:57 AM

Finished Enslaved over the weekend. An okay game, but very repetitive and sometimes outright boring. Great presentation and characters though.

And guess what? Aparently many players feel cheated by Topware concerning Two Worlds 2 because the main island, that when you see it on the map makes you think "oh wow, so much space to run around!"? There´s only a teensy tiny spot in the middle that is actually accessible. The rest is either in multiplayer (who brings up ideas like this? Multiplayer in an RPG, theres MMO´s for that) or not there at all. Great stuff.

Maybe I´ll shove it back up Gamestop´s ass and trade it for Hot Pursuit...yeah right because I´m known for my extensive love for racing games...

DougClayton4231 Nov 14th, 2010 08:24 AM

LMAO, that reminds me of Fable 1. I thought that there would be so much to explore from the map but by the time I realized that it was bullshit, the game was over.

OxBlood Nov 14th, 2010 09:03 AM

Yeah kind of. I AM having fun with the game but I´m gonna return it just because I can´t tolerate it when companies do things like that, it´s not right, not at all.

Fathom Zero Nov 14th, 2010 03:23 PM

http://kotaku.com/5689669/alan-wake-...ames-on-demand

I've bought a few games on the marketplace. It's very nice to not have a disc to lose or break and redownload later if I need to. Prices are mostly fair, but if it's an old game or an unpopular one, you'd end up spending $20 or $30 on a $5 game at Gamestop.

Dr. Boogie Nov 14th, 2010 03:46 PM

For god's sake, go on Amazon or eBay!

Fathom Zero Nov 14th, 2010 04:04 PM

Amazon rocks. I've got a year of Amazon Prime free for bein' a student. Free two-day shipping rocks.

Dr. Boogie Nov 15th, 2010 01:20 AM

Playing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

I can't decide what I hate the most about this game: the awful camera, the generic music, the drawn-out pacing, or the rote, soulless copying of other, better games.

OxBlood Nov 15th, 2010 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie (Post 704051)
Playing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

I can't decide what I hate the most about this game: the awful camera, the generic music, the drawn-out pacing, or the rote, soulless copying of other, better games.

Really? I thought Castlevania was WAY better than God of war 3, which is probably the game youīll be referring to. ;) If not, please continue

Though I do agree on the music and the camera to a certain extent. The music was just a lot of wasted potential. I mean, Castlevania games have about the best music in any videogame franchise ever most of the time and what we get here just doesnīt cut it. Not at all. The cam...well, itīs shaking all the time for no reason. Other than that I had no complaints about it.

And again about Gow3...and in spoilers because I donīt want to force you guys to read my ramblings about that game AGAIN :lol
Spoilers!

I know Iīve said all of these things at least twice before, but I just really donīt get why people like Gow3 so much...it IS more polished than Castlevania, that I admit. And it has Kevin Sorbo, so thatīs probably a plus too...

Also, I ordered Lufia for the DS and Dungeon Maker 2 for the PSP...I donīt know why but I really want to play both after reading about them. And finally, I did give 2 Worlds 2 back and Iīll get Hot Pursuit on Thursday instead, who knows, I might even like it.

DougClayton4231 Nov 15th, 2010 07:52 AM

I didn't hate the camera until the clock tower level. That level was completely awful.

Looking back on Castlevania, I was only really disappointed about the lack of a Frankenstein Monster. I mean, they talk about Frankenstein, you waltz through his laboratory, why not have you fight the monster instead of that stupid fucking robot?

I thought that everything was better about Castlevania though. I just wish that they used the old school music throughout the game, or at least let you do that after you beat it.

Chojin Nov 15th, 2010 09:02 AM

goldeneyyyyye, i found his weakness
goldeneyyyyye, will do what i please
goldeneyyyyye, no time for sweetness
a bitter kiss will bring him to his knees

Zhukov Nov 15th, 2010 09:40 AM

Is it any good Chojin?

darkvare Nov 15th, 2010 01:58 PM

my sister bought a used ps2 and inside there was gta liberty city stories so i'm playing that

Phoenix Gamma Nov 15th, 2010 02:32 PM

Goldeneye is good if you like:

-Call of Duty
-graphics that look like a PS2 launch game (sup Night Club level? Neat 2D people you have there!)
-a game that isn't Goldeneye the Movie or Goldeneye the Game whatsoever.
-Daniel Craig

I don't like any of those though. :(

And seriously...2D DANCERS IN A NIGHT CLUB?! IT'S NOT A BIG LEVEL FUCKING SONIC COLORS LOOKS GORGEOUS. RESIDENT EVIL 4 LOOKS GREAT AND THAT WAS A GAMECUBE GAME. WHY IS EVERYTHING SO UGLY GODDAMN. OH GREAT SOME SCRIPTED EVENT GET AWAY FROM ME UGLY CHARACTER.

Multiplayer's neat but it's straight-up CoD without any way to communicate.

I'm really surprised it's reviewing as well as it is. It's not bad, but it's just so bland.

darkvare Nov 15th, 2010 02:41 PM

everytime i see that night club in videos i remember this
http://ps2media.gamespy.com/ps2/imag...9083532290.jpg

also i was watching some videos of the ps3 bond game bloodstone i belive and craig looks like a freaking chimp

Fathom Zero Nov 15th, 2010 03:33 PM

lol darkvare I was gonna pick Blood Money up again. Shit's hilarious. I remember the Blood Money thread here, as a matter of fact. That game rocks.

Dr. Boogie Nov 15th, 2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OxBlood (Post 704067)
Really? I thought Castlevania was WAY better than God of war 3, which is probably the game youīll be referring to. ;) If not, please continue

Though I do agree on the music and the camera to a certain extent. The music was just a lot of wasted potential. I mean, Castlevania games have about the best music in any videogame franchise ever most of the time and what we get here just doesnīt cut it. Not at all. The cam...well, itīs shaking all the time for no reason. Other than that I had no complaints about it.

I intended for my response to be shorter, but things really took off once I got going:

The camera pisses me off because nearly every fight has been a case of me being just far enough from the camera and surrounded by just enough small, fast-moving enemies that the fights look like an argument between colored thumb prints. Plus, I find the sudden shifts in camera angles to be a bit disorienting, especially when the transition areas are placed near a fight.

As for the copying, a couple other reviews put it best: it's like they copied popular games without understanding what it was about those games that made them popular.

You've got combat from GoW, but the enemies overuse annoying attacks, in particular the ground pound that you have to avoid by jumping. Plus, buying more elaborate combos is all but pointless because they don't do that much more damage and pulling off long combos is too difficult on account of the nonstop blocking/dodging/countering from the enemies.

Then you've got the platforming and puzzle-solving from Prince of Persia. The problem with the platforming is that it holds your hand so much that it's little more than a slower version of walking to the next area. And the puzzles break up the action even more, but the game gives you the option to just solve them immediately in case you're getting bored. If the game had intense combat, I could see the reason for them including this stuff to give you a little break, but combat is just annoying, and then you have these boring interludes between battles.

And then there's the Shadow of the Colossus boss battles. Again, you've got an entertaining game element, but done in a terrible way. In SotC, the boss battles were epic because of the scale of things, but they were all the moreso because you had the anticipation of hunting down these large creatures beforehand. That way, you didn't get bored with slowly scaling and stabbing them. In contrast, putting such a battle in a action game, and dumbing down the entire affair so you're proceeding along a linear path looking for shiny spots so you can hit the magic context button, just slows things down even more, and that's when you're not getting shaken off and have to start things over again.

There's all that, plus the added bonus of having name-only references to Castlevania. Only the names of a few characters have made it in (Belmont, Cornell, Olrox, etc). The characters they were attached to have not. The best is Gabriel himself: in the game, they explain that he isn't even a Belmont; he just named himself "Belmont" because he thinks mountains are cool!

Guitar Woman Nov 16th, 2010 01:58 AM

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

I'd like to congratulate it on being the first FPSRPG with sustainable/useful secondary powers. I think my favorite trick is Obfusticating around a corner and shotgunning people directly in the face when they come looking for me.

Rolling Malkavian is lamer than I thought it'd be, since it just makes my conversation choices really flowery and gay. I think that's worth it if I get more chances to drive people so insane they think their friendlies are giant salmon which they proceed to shoot at, though

OxBlood Nov 16th, 2010 05:26 AM

Wait till you get in the Taxi at the End :D I freaking loved playing Malkavian, one of the best Gaming-experiences ever, but then again Bloodlines IS an amazingly good game (if patched correctly).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie (Post 704162)
I intended for my response to be shorter, but things really took off once I got going:

Oh I donīt mind.

Camera: Apart from the perma-shakyness, I really didnīt mind, Iīm used to fixed camera angles though I thought it was fucking stupid that they didnīt use the right stick for dodging instead they use it for nothing at all. I donīt remember having problems seeing or encountering my enemies apart from the odd off-screen jump attack but those things just happen.

Combat: I kind of agree on the sense of longer combos, some enemies just break through your attacks and hit you anyway. But I thought it was a lot better than spamming Plume of Prometheus as your only needed move like in every GOW game. The ground pound took some getting used to but actually it reminded me that Gabe has some very powerfull mid air attacks so I just used them. All in all, the combat is much more challenging than in the game they copied here I think. As I said, Plume of Prometheus and Dodging, thatīs it on normal most of the time.

Platforming/Puzzles: I liked the "Platforming". Sure, itīs not really platforming, it hasnīt been in that Elika-Prince of Persia either, itīs just player-controlled cinematic transitions but I like those for some reason when the rest of the game is mostly fighting.
I really liked the pace of the puzzles though. Just when you had about enough of killing stuff, they game you some quieter moments and when those started to get old, the action came back. I donīt know why they thought it would be necessary to include the insta-solve option though either, that was stupid. The puzzles are what... a 3/10?

Colossus battles: On that I actually agree. I didnīt like those very much. Felt tacked on and copy-pasted from Sotc only that the three Colossi in Castlevania arenīt any fun to kill, theyīre a moving jump&run level wrapped around a big dude. It wouldīve been nicer to battle them from the ground, then using the enviroment to destroy them. Drop something on them, crash them into something, I donīt know it doesnīt take a genius to design a fun boss battle.
Though I donīt think, Sotc is my type of game. I played it, beat...I think 4 or 5 Colossi and then got insanely bored with it and put it down. Havenīt played it since though I can appreciate what they did there. Great idea and gorgeous world and atmosphere. I want a HD-Remake please.

Castlevania-Heritage: That bugged me when I first heard about it but after playing through this reboot/alternate universe/whatever itīs supposed to be, I donīt mind anymore. It tries to find its own identity and I think it succeeded. Sure itīs not what the original Castlevanias are, thereīs a different mood here and a different type of atmosphere, but I like it and Iīm looking forward to see what they are gonna do with it in the future, the post-credits scene was pretty cool I think :)

But basically they couldīve called it whatever they wanted but then people would have said "hey, thatīs kinda like Castlevania, isnīt it?" So yeah, Iīm cool with what they did.

Man, I think this will be a busy month. Hot Pursuit, Majin, Lufia, Dungeon Maker 2 and isnīt Splatterhouse about to be released too? I really wanna know if itīs good, I love that Mask :lol

DougClayton4231 Nov 16th, 2010 08:13 AM

Vampire - Bloodlines is my favorite RPG of all time and one of, in my opinion, the best games ever made. It's so immersive :P

I can't wait for Majin and Splatterhouse. I hope that the new Assassin's Creed will be good too.

Dimnos Nov 16th, 2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougClayton4231 (Post 704202)
I hope that the new Assassin's Creed will be good too.

I just dont see this happening. :\

Phoenix Gamma Nov 16th, 2010 08:15 PM

Epic Mickey is annoying. I can't do one fucking thing in this game without being interrupted by a cutscene and Gus explaining what I have to do next. The camera is really shitty too.

I'm really not enjoying it very much.

DougClayton4231 Nov 16th, 2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimnos (Post 704204)
I just dont see this happening. :\

:lol I've heard that it's better than 1 or 2, but considering I hated 1 and loved 2, I don't know how I'll feel about it.

Dr. Boogie Nov 16th, 2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OxBlood (Post 704198)
Combat: I kind of agree on the sense of longer combos, some enemies just break through your attacks and hit you anyway. But I thought it was a lot better than spamming Plume of Prometheus as your only needed move like in every GOW game. The ground pound took some getting used to but actually it reminded me that Gabe has some very powerfull mid air attacks so I just used them. All in all, the combat is much more challenging than in the game they copied here I think. As I said, Plume of Prometheus and Dodging, thatīs it on normal most of the time.

More than all that, it's the fact that enemies will often just ignore attacks and hit me anyway. I can understand some of the larger enemies doing this, but all of them? The worst is when you pull off a perfect block, but you still get hit in the midst of your celebratory bonus damage combo.

Quote:

Colossus battles: On that I actually agree. I didnīt like those very much. Felt tacked on and copy-pasted from Sotc only that the three Colossi in Castlevania arenīt any fun to kill, theyīre a moving jump&run level wrapped around a big dude. It wouldīve been nicer to battle them from the ground, then using the enviroment to destroy them. Drop something on them, crash them into something, I donīt know it doesnīt take a genius to design a fun boss battle.
Though I donīt think, Sotc is my type of game. I played it, beat...I think 4 or 5 Colossi and then got insanely bored with it and put it down. Havenīt played it since though I can appreciate what they did there. Great idea and gorgeous world and atmosphere. I want a HD-Remake please.
Agreed. I liked SotC a lot, but it's really more of a puzzle game, in that once you've solved the puzzle (i.e., killed the colossus), there's not much reason to go back and do it again over and over again. It's a fun game, but I wouldn't pay $60 to play it.

Quote:

Castlevania-Heritage: That bugged me when I first heard about it but after playing through this reboot/alternate universe/whatever itīs supposed to be, I donīt mind anymore. It tries to find its own identity and I think it succeeded. Sure itīs not what the original Castlevanias are, thereīs a different mood here and a different type of atmosphere, but I like it and Iīm looking forward to see what they are gonna do with it in the future, the post-credits scene was pretty cool I think :)
That's just it; you can tell they wanted to make their own thing here, so why did they just throw in a handful of irrelevant names just to make a connection to Castlevania? The only answer I can come up with is that they wanted to suck in some of the fans of that series, and just having vampires and werewolves wasn't enough.

It kind of reminds me of Marvel comics doing Marvel 1602 as a sort of reinvention of familiar characters in a different setting. The thing is, LoS isn't reinventing Castlevania characters; it's just making a completely unrelated storyline and using a handful of borrowed names to establish a flimsy connection with an established to get the title some free press. I get that starting a new IP is hard, but don't piggy-back in such a blatant, ridiculous fashion.

Quote:

But basically they couldīve called it whatever they wanted but then people would have said "hey, thatīs kinda like Castlevania, isnīt it?" So yeah, Iīm cool with what they did.
I think that's a bit of a stretch. If this game was just called "Lords of Shadow" and featured the exploits of Gabriel Studebaker, I think people would be more fixated on how similar it was to GoW and Dante's Inferno. Like I was saying earlier, it features a few creatures in the Castlevania universe, but werewolves, vampires, and the like aren't unique to the series.

One of the biggest reasons I don't like the game is that it has Hideo Kojima's stink all over it, in the form of his design doctrine that holds presentation as being far more important than actual gameplay. I know he was only attached in an advisory capacity, but I can't help but think of MGS4 when I'm watching cinematic after cinematic after cinematic.

Also, the story isn't done all that well, either. Everything we know about Gabriel as a character comes second-hand from the diary of his gay stalker. In the actual game, he's just a standard action hero out for revenge, occasionally belting out some angry line at a big villain. We're told he's seething with rage and that he no longer has any compassion, but this doesn't come across at all in the game.

executioneer Nov 16th, 2010 09:13 PM

replayin' mount and blade. I took out all three rhodok cities by myself, it was awesome. NOTHING STOPS THE HUSCARL

OxBlood Nov 17th, 2010 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie (Post 704299)
More than all that, it's the fact that enemies will often just ignore attacks and hit me anyway. I can understand some of the larger enemies doing this, but all of them? The worst is when you pull off a perfect block, but you still get hit in the midst of your celebratory bonus damage combo.

Agreed. I liked SotC a lot, but it's really more of a puzzle game, in that once you've solved the puzzle (i.e., killed the colossus), there's not much reason to go back and do it again over and over again. It's a fun game, but I wouldn't pay $60 to play it.

That's just it; you can tell they wanted to make their own thing here, so why did they just throw in a handful of irrelevant names just to make a connection to Castlevania? The only answer I can come up with is that they wanted to suck in some of the fans of that series, and just having vampires and werewolves wasn't enough.

It kind of reminds me of Marvel comics doing Marvel 1602 as a sort of reinvention of familiar characters in a different setting. The thing is, LoS isn't reinventing Castlevania characters; it's just making a completely unrelated storyline and using a handful of borrowed names to establish a flimsy connection with an established to get the title some free press. I get that starting a new IP is hard, but don't piggy-back in such a blatant, ridiculous fashion.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. If this game was just called "Lords of Shadow" and featured the exploits of Gabriel Studebaker, I think people would be more fixated on how similar it was to GoW and Dante's Inferno. Like I was saying earlier, it features a few creatures in the Castlevania universe, but werewolves, vampires, and the like aren't unique to the series.

One of the biggest reasons I don't like the game is that it has Hideo Kojima's stink all over it, in the form of his design doctrine that holds presentation as being far more important than actual gameplay. I know he was only attached in an advisory capacity, but I can't help but think of MGS4 when I'm watching cinematic after cinematic after cinematic.

Also, the story isn't done all that well, either. Everything we know about Gabriel as a character comes second-hand from the diary of his gay stalker. In the actual game, he's just a standard action hero out for revenge, occasionally belting out some angry line at a big villain. We're told he's seething with rage and that he no longer has any compassion, but this doesn't come across at all in the game.

To cut the whole thing short: Youīre right about most things IMO, sure and I agree on most of them, though I still like the whole thing a lot.
Concerning the replay-value, itīs nowhere near any classic Metrovania title, thatīs for sure but the question at the time was "Castlevania or Enslaved" and after playing Enslaved last Weekend I know I made the right decision :)

Is LOS as good as the 2D Castlevanias? Fuck no. Is it a good game? Yeah, I think so and as an additional Castlevania Sub-franchise, Iīm okay with it.

Oh and once more about the heritage-thing: Iīm sure younger, typical gamers would compare it more to GOW and Danteīs Inferno, but show me a dude that uses a whip against something supernatural and Iīll scream CASTLEVANIA without even thinking about it :D
Itīs the whip, thereīs only two beings that use whips, Dr. Jones and a Castlevania Protagonist :)

DougClayton4231 Nov 17th, 2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie (Post 704299)

:lol I felt the same way about Gabriel. It's like he has no real part in the story, every ambition and emotion is described by a third party, so it's hard to give a fuck about him. But since when did Castlevania need a plot?

OxBlood Nov 18th, 2010 09:14 AM

Oh yeah, that. I agree again. There was a lot of wasted potential. They told us that Gabe is like this or like that but we never saw any evidence that he was anything else but a silent, brooding and rather calm fellow.

Played about an hour of Hot Pursuit and I´m not sure if my splitting headache was a result of playing the game or something else...I remember that I couldn´t play NSF Underground back in the day because the flashing of the lights in drag-mode gave me such a headache...never happened before and never after that though.

Other than that...I guess it´s pretty good? I´m not the right person to speak to about racing games, they´re all the same for me more or less, just like sports games. It does have the rubberband mechanic though (is it called that in english too?) so it doesn´t matter how far ahead you are, your opponents will eventually gain on you and fast. At least that was my impression.

Lufia was okay, just played it for about 2 hours. Nice music but sub-par performance when a lot is going on and I´m not sure I like the way the fighting feels.
Crimson Gem Saga on the other hand is really nice. Very oldschool with beautiful sprites and nice battle-animation. Nothing special, very standart but nice so far.

Fathom Zero Nov 18th, 2010 10:00 AM

Rage came out on iDevices. Possibly the easiest to control FPS on there, if only for the fact that it's on rails. Still fun, well worth the price of an 8-Piece chicken nuggets from Burger King.

Dimnos Nov 18th, 2010 12:17 PM

The first time you play the first level of LoS when you fight the big warg as a boss is the most fun you have with it. :\ After that the game slowly goes down hill. I doubt I made it half way through before I just got bored with it. Im in some old runes where you fight a bunch of hooded ghosts that look like they were kidnapped from Lord of the Rings or some shit. Of course if do anything other than one wide area swing then dodge two times then repeat you get killed. Oh so fun. :rolleyes Boogie is right, LoS was very lacking to say the least. Had it not had the Castlevania name tacked onto it I never would have associated it with Castlevania. Camera angles normally dont bother me even bad ones but they were just plane horrible in LoS. Combat was crap. Hit. dodge, dodge, hit, dodge, dodge. They would have been better to copy Ninja Gaiden. Yes it requires a lot of dodging too but at least its fun and enemies actually react when hit. Not that this is solely a problem that plagued LoS but... WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH EVERY GOD DAMN VIDEO GAME CHARACTER BEING SO FLAT THESE DAYS? Is it so much to ask for a character that actually grows and changes as the story goes on? Is it to much to have a character you actually give a crap about? I cared more about the narrator whos name I cant even remember and I didnt care about him because of the character or anything he did I only cared about him because its fucking Patrick Stewart.

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 18th, 2010 01:16 PM

I'm at chapter 9 of LoS and I find myself just playing it to be done with it now.

Dimnos Nov 18th, 2010 01:59 PM

Im only holding on to it so that one day I can play it just to be done with it. I just cant bring myself to put it in the xbox though. I would much rather punch heads off in Fallout.

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 18th, 2010 02:12 PM

Same thing with Star Ocean and FF XIII.

I killed a Jackalope in RDR though.

Phoenix Gamma Nov 18th, 2010 02:30 PM

I've had Flower downloaded for months now and never started it. Then my old man asked me what this "Flower thing" was on the PS3. So I decided to play it today. Then about an hour later I beat it.

What an awesome game. Pretty as fuck, and really fun. The last three levels were awesome.

Dimnos Nov 18th, 2010 03:42 PM

What is the point of that game? I have never played it and havnt heard anything about it other than "Its really beautiful!".

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 18th, 2010 04:24 PM

Is it like the flower level in super smash bros melee because I really like that level?

Fathom Zero Nov 18th, 2010 04:53 PM

It's like Star Fox. For serious.

Phoenix Gamma Nov 18th, 2010 06:53 PM

You fly around and make the environment pretty.

The last three levels do some really cool things. The last one is really, really awesome.

captain516 Nov 19th, 2010 12:45 AM

I take it none of you guys are interested in Black Ops

Phoenix Gamma Nov 19th, 2010 01:45 AM

Only on PC. Except I hear the PC port is rubbish. So no, not really.

OxBlood Nov 19th, 2010 03:05 AM

Nah, MW1 was enough already, the only interesting thing about BO is the zombie mode and I'm not paying more than 20 bucks for that.

Writing posts with an iPod is crap so here´s the rest: For more than one reason I´m absolutely not interested in Black Ops. For one, it´s the same thing for the third time, I can´t do shit in multiplayer because I don´t play that game 24/7 from day one and yeah, I really have enough generic shooters around. Cheap yeah but not full price. Funfact: The Nazizombie-Mode made it into the german version though I guess they´re just Zombies here...ahem.

DougClayton4231 Nov 19th, 2010 09:01 AM

The US media and Black Ops have had this interesting coincidence as of late, they've gone back to blaming communists for everything :P

I just got my DS up and running and I'm loving all the Castlevania action. No game does it for me like a 2D Castlevania for some reason :lol I think when my gf goes back home for next month I'm actually going to tackle some of the 360 games and Wii games that I've neglected. Mainly DBZ Raging Blast 2. I know that the camera sucks but I still get to shoot kamehameha's right...right?

OxBlood Nov 19th, 2010 09:22 AM

My guess is...yes, you will get to shoot a fuckton of Kamehamehas :D

What does your media blame communists for? Climate change? The oil incident? Cheap pop music?

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 19th, 2010 10:33 AM

I played some of the multiplayer in Black Ops, mainly Nuketown which is fun to get used to the game.

Zomboid Nov 19th, 2010 11:54 AM

Man, I'm pumped for Raging Blast 2. It sounds so homo-erotic, but my buddy and I played the shit out of the first one whilst drinking. It was a good pre-game activity before going out to a bar or whatever.

Shadowdancer21b Nov 19th, 2010 12:26 PM

I'm playing the Megaman collection on Gamecube. I want to throttle the asshole who decided it just isn't Megaman without the disappearing platforms over instant-death spikes.

Dimnos Nov 19th, 2010 12:31 PM

Fact of life is that it isnt Megaman without the disappearing platforms over instant-death spikes.

DougClayton4231 Nov 19th, 2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomboid (Post 704633)
Man, I'm pumped for Raging Blast 2. It sounds so homo-erotic, but my buddy and I played the shit out of the first one whilst drinking. It was a good pre-game activity before going out to a bar or whatever.

It is a very good drunk game. GTAIV is only fun as a drunk game, everyone should try co-op drunk driving. One person looks while the other person steers :lol

Flashman Nov 20th, 2010 11:28 PM

currently the Third Age Mod for MTW II

Pentegarn Nov 21st, 2010 06:03 AM

Hello to you happy time! Your post is much transparent. Clicking your link i cannot do because I must not have spam time USA popular! Happy holidays to all spambot!

EDIT: The poster I was talking to has been deleted, good riddance to him

DougClayton4231 Nov 21st, 2010 08:16 AM

Pentegarn, you don't like hotels? lol

I've been playing the shit out of Castlevania - Order of Occlessia. I can honestly say I love the feel, I just hate the whole attack system. Since when do you need a fucking limiter on how much you can attack? I got to the end, but I missed two villagers so I need to go get them :|

Supafly345 Nov 21st, 2010 03:02 PM

Does anyone play Castlevania HD anymore? I am grinding the shit out of this game and its hard to find people to play with.

XBL: TheSupafly
COME ON GUYS

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 21st, 2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supafly345 (Post 704825)
Does anyone play Castlevania HD anymore? I am grinding the shit out of this game and its hard to find people to play with.

XBL: TheSupafly
COME ON GUYS

I'll play but I don't have the DLC for it.

XBOX: Lockeness108 if you want to do it up.

darkvare Nov 21st, 2010 10:00 PM

anyone owns a copy of kingdom hearts 2 they wanna sell me

Phoenix Gamma Nov 22nd, 2010 12:19 AM

Was anticipating Donkey Kong Country Returns, so I played the original series to hold me over. DKC2 is definitely the best of the original trilogy.

Then I got DKCR today, got to world 3. Really cool game, really hard too. It expects a lot out of you. The first bonus level (1-K) was exceedingly hard for a hidden level in world 1. I really don't like that there are three functions bound to shaking the remote, though, and there's no classic controller support.

Still really fun though.

OxBlood Nov 22nd, 2010 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkvare (Post 704843)
anyone owns a copy of kingdom hearts 2 they wanna sell me

Donīt want to spend the 18 bucks for a new one?

darkvare Nov 22nd, 2010 10:19 AM

the thing is amazon charges me 30 bucks for shipping :\ i think i'm gonna get it like that cause its my sisters christmas gift

Supafly345 Nov 22nd, 2010 12:04 PM

ebay?

Phoenix Gamma Nov 22nd, 2010 05:13 PM

Got to world 6 of Donkey Kong Returns. There are some fucking excellent levels in this game. Blows New Mario and Sonic 4 out of the fucking water. Also, the co-op is way better than the one in the old games. Diddy's way superior, but statistically Player 2 is a little sibling/cousin/parent/girlfriend, so it's all cool.

Also, Poker Night at the Inventory is really funny. I wish I was good at poker though. I spent 15 minutes locked in a one on one with Max and lost.

OxBlood Nov 23rd, 2010 04:28 AM

Hm. The more I play Lufia on the DS, the less I like it. The battles are boring and clunky, the performance is horrible - 4 enemies cause severe slowdown already, the story is very unelegant (it throws you into the fray immediately. Boss shows up, gloats, Maxim tries to beat him, gets his ass handed to him, mysterious woman appears and tells him to gather more warriors. So he does that. That´s the first 10 minutes of the game)...

I don´t know what to think about this one. I try to like it but nothing is really fun. As I said, the battles ain´t good, the constant platforming and lever-switching is kinda okay but there´s too much of it and I´m just in the second dungeon...
Plus, the game seems to be more about jumping and riddling-skills than fighting and that, Gentlemen, is not what JRPGs are about. They´re about kicking stuff in the balls constantly.

I´d play more Crimson Gem saga but I want to save it up for a rainy day so to speak...that one´s pretty good though the skills and spells use WAY too much MP. What good is a special attack if you only have mana to use it once before having to rest...

DougClayton4231 Nov 24th, 2010 02:12 PM

The new Splatterhouse, DKCR, and Sonic Colors are all pretty amazing. I'm surprised by how much loving attention Splatterhouse has recieved. The combat is great, the artwork is morbidly beautiful and imaginative, and it's a lot of fun. If you love some old school Splatterhouse, you'll love the new one.

Esuohlim Nov 24th, 2010 02:45 PM

NEW SPLATTERHOUSE PLANED

Zomboid Nov 24th, 2010 03:15 PM

YOU THOUGHT I KNEW HOW TO SPELL PLANNED?

YOU IGNORANT FUCK

OxBlood Nov 24th, 2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougClayton4231 (Post 705043)
The new Splatterhouse, DKCR, and Sonic Colors are all pretty amazing. I'm surprised by how much loving attention Splatterhouse has recieved. The combat is great, the artwork is morbidly beautiful and imaginative, and it's a lot of fun. If you love some old school Splatterhouse, you'll love the new one.

Good to hear :) I couldīve picked it up for PS3 but Iīd rather wait till tomorrow or friday for the 360-Version.

I did get Majin and the forsaken kingdom though. Playing it for...letīs see...3 hrs now and so far I really like it. Very charming duo, the thief and the Majin. Thereīs actually equipment for the thief and you even see it on him which is always nice. The combat and the puzzles are pretty nice so far, you run around, trying to make way for the Majin which in turn boosts you up ledges or takes care of the tougher enemies...another good thing is, that you CAN beat the enemies by yourself, as long as the Majin is nearby to absorb their souls.
Thereīs even a day-night circle going on, didnīt know that yet...

The whole thing gives me some kind of Zelda-Vibe...in a positive way I mean, not the crapfest that was Phantom hourglass :lol

Good game, definetely.

DougClayton4231 Nov 24th, 2010 03:25 PM

I've played Majin too and I really think that it'll be a sleeper hit, like Beyond Good and Evil. I really hope Namco will give it some publicity, seeing as I didn't hear about it until it was in stores :lol

Contra 4 on the DS is one of the most merciless games I've ever played lol, I can't even make it to level 3 :(

Phoenix Gamma Nov 24th, 2010 03:34 PM

The mirror mode in Donkey Kong Returns is retardedly difficult. No Diddy, only 1 heart. Fuckin A.

Shadowdancer21b Nov 24th, 2010 10:19 PM

Timestalkers on Dreamcast. Dungeon-crawler with an interesting cast of characters and a decent enough story.

Esuohlim Nov 25th, 2010 01:54 AM

I HAVE DOWNLOADED POKEMON DIAMOND. THIS BETTER BE GOOD. >:

I am NOT A FAN of the fact that each new game means the total number of Pokemon gets higher and getting 150 of them 12 years ago was a tedious task enough. But fuck I've got OCD so let's get this shit going

DougClayton4231 Nov 25th, 2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer21b (Post 705064)
Timestalkers on Dreamcast. Dungeon-crawler with an interesting cast of characters and a decent enough story.

I remember playing that game at friend's house when I was younger, I couldn't remember the name though.

Anyone played Zombie Revenge or something like that on Dreamcast? That shit was boss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma (Post 705053)
The mirror mode in Donkey Kong Returns is retardedly difficult. No Diddy, only 1 heart. Fuckin A.

I'm only on world 3, I can't wait to try mirror mode :P