I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What are you playing right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697399)

OxBlood Jul 15th, 2010 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougClayton4231 (Post 692043)
I dunno. This month is pretty dry with the exception of SC2. Was Prototype good? I heard that it was a bit like Infamous for the PS3.

Itīs the same genre but plays a little differently.
Prototype is extremely hectic and brutal where Infamous is more relaxed and tame. Thereīs hardly a quiet moment in Prototype and it is a bit less polished than Infamous but I liked both games a lot. If you can find it cheap or whatever, give it a try.

The main thing in Prototype that CAN get on your nerves is that youīre really hunted by the military AND the infected freaks. Anyone sees you, all hell breaks loose, tanks show up, attack helicopters are on your ass and you gotta get out of there if you want to survive. Sure, you can disguise yourself pretty effectively if you want but the missions force you to venture into the more infected regions of the city and the further you are in the game, the more is infected until the whole city is one giant molloch of violence and screaming and the red shit that infects everything.

Oh, and I liked the story and the way it was told. You get your normal exposition during the missions but you can also work on "the web of intrigue" which is basically you stalking goverment officials and scientists and absorbing them which reveals strange visions of the whole shit that led up to you being in that city and the way you are. And from one guy you get a lead on the next and so forth.

And of then thereīs one of the major draws of the game: You are SO fucking powerful in the game later on itīs not even funny. You take out Helicopters and Tanks left and right, you mow through a whole street full of infected with your tentacle-arms, you pound APCs into the ground with your sword-arm before hurling yourself 2 blocks by throwing your giant-fist and shit like that. The feeling of power really came across in Prototype.

Sure, it has some cheap and frustrating missions and the constant pressure can be annoying but all in all: Awesome game.

And...yeah, I guess you can tell I like it :lol

Dr. Boogie Jul 15th, 2010 05:43 AM

It really was a great game, Prototype. The one big complaint that I had was that in the middle of semi-challenging missions were a few ridiculous boss fights where you're getting pounded from every direction all the time.

DougClayton4231 Jul 15th, 2010 07:35 AM

Prototype is fun, but the only thing I don't get is why the military wont just bomb the damn city. There's mutants everywhere and a guy in a hoodie who can rape tanks with his bare hands lol. I think that more than warrants a better strategy than "let's stand around idly until some shit pops off."

Dimnos Jul 15th, 2010 10:08 AM

Prototype was one of those games that the more you thought about what was going on the more retarded it became. Infamous was WAY better.

DougClayton4231 Jul 15th, 2010 10:38 AM

I'm gonna try and get through Red Dead Redemption again. The controls made me ragequit the last time I played. Might play through Arkham Asylum on Hard again too. I loved that game so much.

bigtimecow Jul 15th, 2010 11:35 AM

over the last two weeks i spent $55 on PSN buying monkey island SE, monkey island 2 SE, the tales of monkey island bundle (chapters 1-5), and just yesterday deathspank. i've beaten MI and MI2 in the past, but god are they glorious in the special editions. control scheme for MI2 is a huge step up from MI. i've beaten tales chapter 1 which was pretty good (the puzzle when you're trapped in singe's lab is great), and am fair enough through MI and MI2

i started deathspank yesterday and i lurrrrve it. great monkey island style humor and conversation trees + mindless hack and slash. quests are pretty retrievey but i don't care, the combat is fun enough

10,000 Volt Ghost Jul 15th, 2010 11:52 AM

I just got Monkey Island 1 over the weekend because I've never played it myself.

Dimnos Jul 15th, 2010 12:09 PM

Never played the new special editions? Or at all?

10,000 Volt Ghost Jul 15th, 2010 01:24 PM

I watched my friend play part of it when I was younger but I've never played through it.

timrpgland Jul 15th, 2010 07:51 PM

You'll have fun with them.

A friend came over the other day and I decided to pop in my SNES cart of Zombies ate my Neighbors for some 2 player action. I was saddened to find that I wasn't having any fun with it anymore.. Didn't hold up for me.. We put in The King of Dragons instead. Even if the arcade version stomps it it's still good on SNES.

Zombies might be going on ebay. :(

Dr. Boogie Jul 15th, 2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougClayton4231 (Post 692107)
Prototype is fun, but the only thing I don't get is why the military wont just bomb the damn city. There's mutants everywhere and a guy in a hoodie who can rape tanks with his bare hands lol. I think that more than warrants a better strategy than "let's stand around idly until some shit pops off."

They were tied up with that Blackwatch organization, who were trying to capture both the hero and villain of the story because they're products of their research. Also, they do eventually try to bomb the city in the endgame sequence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimnos
Prototype was one of those games that the more you thought about what was going on the more retarded it became. Infamous was WAY better.

They're both kind of silly in terms of plot. In the case of Infamous, you have questions about how hobos are becoming weaponmasters and creating trash skyscrapers and psychic trash robots, not to mention all the time-travel questions that pop up at the end of the game.

I just enjoyed the gameplay in Prototype more. You had a greater variety of powers, as opposed to the electricity grenade, missile launcher, sniper rifle, etc. You were also a lot more mobile in Prototype, which really comes in handy for moving around a huge city.

Pentegarn Jul 16th, 2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timrpgland (Post 692192)

A friend came over the other day and I decided to pop in my SNES cart of Zombies ate my Neighbors for some 2 player action. I was saddened to find that I wasn't having any fun with it anymore.. Didn't hold up for me.. We put in The King of Dragons instead. Even if the arcade version stomps it it's still good on SNES.

King of Dragons was a solid beat em up.

I wish I had invested in a Saturn and the 2 D&D arcade games. They were a lot like King of Dragons

Phoenix Gamma Jul 16th, 2010 01:32 AM

So for about a month, I've been saving items in TF2 in hopes of a new hat. I finally crafted one tonight...

It's the same fucking hat, but with teeth on it.
If my math is right, it costs 2 items for a scrap metal, and three scrap metals for a reclaimed metal, so a reclaimed metal is 18 items. Three reclaimed metals makes a refined metal, so that's 54 items for a refined metal. Then three refined metals for a hat, so 162 items total for a hat, correct?

I wasted 162 items on the default hat with teeth.
I am so fucking mad right now.

Sam Jul 16th, 2010 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timrpgland (Post 692192)

ZOMBIES MIGHT BE GOING TO SAM. PM ME.

OxBlood Jul 16th, 2010 05:16 AM

Errr...TF2 has items now? Did I miss something? Last time I looked it was a team-based funshooter...but that was back when it was released...

Played about 4-5 hrs of DeathSpank and I really like it. Nice humor (not always but most of the time), fast, simple gameplay, a very relaxing game.

Concerning Infamous vs. Prototype, I think the Plot of Prototype is better, Infamous´ Story is just too bland even with the twist-stuff. Also: The town descends from center of modern civilization to deadly mutant moshpit in a week? I don´t think so.

The concept of Prototype feels a bit more realistic, I mean how many days does the game span...not that many if I remember correctly. Military tries to contain the outbreak, fails and nukes the site from orbit. That´s about what happens over the few days in the game.

DougClayton4231 Jul 16th, 2010 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie (Post 692198)
They were tied up with that Blackwatch organization, who were trying to capture both the hero and villain of the story because they're products of their research. Also, they do eventually try to bomb the city in the endgame sequence.

They're both kind of silly in terms of plot. In the case of Infamous, you have questions about how hobos are becoming weaponmasters and creating trash skyscrapers and psychic trash robots, not to mention all the time-travel questions that pop up at the end of the game.

I just enjoyed the gameplay in Prototype more. You had a greater variety of powers, as opposed to the electricity grenade, missile launcher, sniper rifle, etc. You were also a lot more mobile in Prototype, which really comes in handy for moving around a huge city.

lulz, I get upset sometimes when I ask a question like that in a game and then it happens. It's like watching a bad horror movie and predicting the next scene. Prototype is fun because it's like the Hulk mixed with Mr. Fantastic, Wolverine, and there's a bit of Spiderman in there somewhere. Did that make me sound like a nerd? lol

bigtimecow Jul 16th, 2010 08:29 AM

infamous was baller and probably one of my favorite ps3 games. yeah the story is a bit unbelievable, but so is a guy who gets struck my lightning or something and then can... jump off of buildings and not get hurt

but the gameplay is fucktons of fun

Dimnos Jul 16th, 2010 11:29 AM

I liked infamous better because it felt more fleshed out. It felt like you were more a part of the story and not just some super guy running around killing everything. In prototype the guy spends the first half of the game bitching about having super powers and all concerned about a virus he himself released?! I dont know about you guys but I dont play games for their believable stories. If I had to pick what story was more believable I would still have to go with infamous.

DougClayton4231 Jul 19th, 2010 08:17 AM

Red Dead Redemption just won't fucking end. I killed Williamson and Esquella, but there is still more genocide left to be committed. Now they want me to shoot endangered species and Native Americans. Haven't they suffered enough?

On another note, I find it hilarious how much hypocrisy there is in RDR. John Marston acts as if he's the good guy, but he is just an assassin with a flimsy cause of reattaining his family. Literally, everyone you meet convinces you to commit multiple acts of homicide based on their poor political philosophies or outright racism within two minutes of meeting you. 12 hours in, I've killed over 800 people and I haven't done any killing outside of missions. How can you have a mass murderer take a moral stance on anything lol?

Dan Houser really needs to give it up, San Andreas was the only marginally good plot that he wrote, and that was filled with shitty dialog and paper thin reasons to kill people as well. Any parent who'd give this game to their child is setting them up for failure.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jul 19th, 2010 12:37 PM

I actually grew disdained with RDR single player after meeting the legendary gunslinger. The rest of the game just felt rushed. I did like the "I know you" stranger though. Hoping the single player add on is good and not garbage like every other DLC I've played.

DougClayton4231 Jul 19th, 2010 01:30 PM

Ghost, I killed the last gang member that I was supposed to and now the game has reverted back to being about being a farmer, rather than just fucking ending.

Dimnos Jul 19th, 2010 01:40 PM

Your getting close Doug dont worry. :lol

10,000 Volt Ghost Jul 19th, 2010 03:19 PM

:LOOLOLOL Oh man Doug. I can't wait for your next post.

Dimnos Jul 19th, 2010 03:23 PM

Did any of you guys see that article on Destructoid about the moral implications the end of that game represents? It was quite convoluted and clear the author was looking WAY to into it. You cant help but laugh and think "Dude its just a game! :lol "

10,000 Volt Ghost Jul 19th, 2010 03:27 PM

I actually skipped the opening scenes and the closing scenes. I read about what happens so I didn't bother watching them.