I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I-Mockery Chat (Lube up those lips) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8799)

Grislygus Jul 16th, 2011 01:38 PM

HERE'S AN IDEA: LET'S KILL ED HARRIS HALFWAY THROUGH THE MOVIE! SHOCKING, RIGHT? WHAT A BALLSY MOVE! SHAME THAT HE, UH, WASN'T GIVEN A SINGLE GODDAMN THING TO DO.

AND LET US NOT FORGET THE AWKWARD "MAFIA DAD" MONOLOGUE. GOOD JOB ON THAT WHOLE 'ACTING' THING, KID!

OOH, OOH!
Spoilers!

Grislygus Jul 16th, 2011 01:41 PM

Oh yeah, I loved Crash. I think Cronenberg can go loopy with the body horror, though; eXistenZ was this big lumbering thing with awesome ideas and no real narrative drive... I know that was the point, given the genuinely fun twist-after-twist, but it just didn't- quite- work. Compared to Videodrome, at least, which practically forces you to watch it over and over until you figure out what was going on

10,000 Volt Ghost Jul 16th, 2011 01:44 PM

Heading to houston

Fathom Zero Jul 16th, 2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 732292)
Oh yeah, I loved Crash. I think Cronenberg can go loopy with the body horror, though; eXistenZ was this big lumbering thing with awesome ideas and no real narrative drive... I know that was the point, given the genuinely fun twist-after-twist, but it just didn't- quite- work. Compared to Videodrome, at least, which practically forces you to watch it over and over until you figure out what was going on

See, I loved eXistenz, but prolly because I was twelve and it was gross and on the Sci-Fi Channel. I wasn't really treating it like a movie, so I wasn't particularly invested in the plot.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost (Post 732293)
Heading to houston

Don't die in the sky. I'd hate to pour one out for you at Comic Con '12.

Grislygus Jul 16th, 2011 01:52 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean, sometimes people bring up genuinely good reasons to hate Videodrome, except that there's no way in Hell I can listen to that objectively :lol I just love that movie. I first saw it at a sleepover with my friends when I was thirteen or something, my friend's older brother was watching us and we talked him into getting us R movies from Hollywood Video, and he brought us The Rock, Evil Dead II, Videodrome, and a pizza, That guy was fucking awesome

Fathom Zero Jul 16th, 2011 01:58 PM

That sounds like pretty much the best night ever. Same thing with me, only we had M-Rated games. :O That Wu-Tang fighter for the Playstation was badass at 4 in the morning hopped up on caffeine.

Also, there are artists/directors/musicians I like, but I can't tell you why, because I usually can come up with more reasons why I dislike the things they put out than why I like them. David Lynch sits right fucking center, along with Andy Warhol.

It's not even the cult of personality thing, either, even though they're both pretty interesting. There's a lot I just don't get from 'em, yet they're still a couple of my favorite artists. :\

Grislygus Jul 16th, 2011 02:12 PM

I've never quite gotten the David Lynch thing, outside of Eraserhead. Especially after watching that miserable excuse for a documentary. He sounds very thoughtful when he talks, and he talks quite a bit, and you keep expecting him to make a profound point... except he doesn't. That's not how David Lynch works. He just... goes on about... things. Which is exactly how his movies work; Twin Peaks was good because the fact that it was on television forced him to get to the damn point and actually make a definite narrative statement as to what the hell was going on.

Other than that, his head's in the clouds, his opinions are rambling treatises on nothing in particular, and his movies are like Japanese horror flicks; interesting ideas executed so ambiguously as to be pretty damn half-baked, and you stop expecting any sort of explanation at the halfway mark. Combine that with the slobbering sycophants that put the documentary Lynch together, and you have a frustrating time of it as someone who wants to like him but is frustrated by a lack of valid content

Fathom Zero Jul 16th, 2011 02:24 PM

I like a number of his things. Eraserhead's mad decent. Blue Velvet is great. Wild at Heart is pretty good. And I really liked Dumbland. (:lol)

But I tried to write a paper on Inland Empire, a movie I could barely sit through. I was dying watching it. Same thing with Mulholland Drive, albeit to a lesser extent. He keeps trying to wrap dream logic around life while whenever you try explaining a dream you had, you sound like a fucking asshole.

Also, I do like his paintings a bit, so there's always that. And to his credit, he's the only one that's ever made a movie that scares me, so he gets turbo props for that.

Tadao Jul 16th, 2011 08:46 PM

Dear Pub

Spoilers!

Esuohlim Jul 17th, 2011 04:19 AM

FOR GOD'S SAKE JIM I'M A DOCTOR NOT A POOLMAN

Esuohlim Jul 17th, 2011 04:20 AM

Spoilers!

10,000 Volt Ghost Jul 17th, 2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 732294)
See, I loved eXistenz, but prolly because I was twelve and it was gross and on the Sci-Fi Channel. I wasn't really treating it like a movie, so I wasn't particularly invested in the plot.

Don't die in the sky. I'd hate to pour one out for you at Comic Con '12.

I made it. Finally. Dana point, ca is gorgeous. Its like walking around in crono cross.especially the town where dario gets his 2nd sword.

Fathom Zero Jul 17th, 2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 732344)

FOR GOD'S SAKE JIM I'M A DOCTOR NOT A POOLMAN

fuckin' a
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 421319)

Fathom Zero Jul 17th, 2011 01:20 PM

10,000 Volt Ghost Jul 17th, 2011 08:11 PM

Just drove through bat country. in las vegas right now. So much to bitch about. There wil be a catalogue of it.

Esuohlim Jul 17th, 2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 732372)
fuckin' a

Apparently not according to Zhukov, that sly Tasmanian devil

Zhukov Jul 17th, 2011 11:21 PM

Shit, I thought that form of institutionalised hatred was supposed to be anonymous.

Aaarg Jul 18th, 2011 11:47 AM

how come the weekly features on i-mockary haven't changed in months also is docmock officially dead GIVE ME SITE INSIGHT GUYS

also true story one time when my girlfriend was younger somebody in the house caught wind of a dead mouse thanks to the scent as it had apparently been a little while and they tracked it to a closet in which they found the mouse dead in the back of a toy ambulance which i think is pretty funny because of course one imagines the mouse being relieved to find an ambulance and expected to get taken in for medical treatment but alas!

Kitsa Jul 18th, 2011 03:54 PM

That's funny, but dead mouse smell sucks. The first car I ever had, a neon, had this increasingly horrible stench. It was the middle of summer and we cleaned the car inside and out, couldn't figure out where the hell it was coming from. Nothing under the seats, even pulled out the backseat, nothing in there, nothing in the wheel well. We found out (and this was August, the smell had been worsening all summer) that there was a decaying drowned mouse in the inside well of one of the tail lights. Apparently the early neons had a big problem with watertightness, and I had the very first model to come out. So the mouse had drowned in the tail light and steeped there like a teabag all summer.

Even after removing its bloated and slimy corpse, the car retained a faint scent of death until my mom was in a wreck with it, totaled the car, broke her thumb (airbag bent it all the way backwards). And that was the end of that chapter.

Aaarg Jul 18th, 2011 04:51 PM

oh gross. i'm glad i'm drinking tea by the way!

one time my sister had a hamster and it went missing about a week or so later there was a horrible horrible smell throughout the house. the thing had gone under the refrigerator and apparently got stuck, died. nasty.

b_squared Jul 18th, 2011 04:52 PM

Gophers are drawn to our pool. Usually we get a few drownings every summer. They end up in the skimmer looking and smelling like Kitsa tail light mouse. It's disgusting.

b_squared Jul 18th, 2011 05:17 PM

A dog bit me on my hand today at work. :(

Aaarg Jul 18th, 2011 06:27 PM

i want to work with dogs. where do you work?

b_squared Jul 18th, 2011 10:54 PM

Animal control. There was an english pointer who looked so sad, so I went in to pet him, it was fine till he went cujo on me. No wonder this wierd bi-polar dog was in the pound. Working with dogs can be fun though. I just brought back two lab puppies which I had to fostertill they were old enough to adopt out to a home. I got to play with the puppies for three weeks then find them a good home:)

Zhukov Jul 18th, 2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Sloupoc, Beafough, Gheabrousiek, Bistrouklus, Spestoutuc, Droukreafris
Today's bot birthdays look like they belong to a string of Scottish highland villages.