I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   MattJack's Art Thread That's Updated Rarely **6/19 Update** (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69706135)

MattJack Mar 4th, 2011 10:18 PM

MattJack's Art Thread That's Updated Rarely **6/19 Update**

Suppp gang.

Basically, I just want to bring back the Art Submission thread, but this time it will include all forms of art instead of just visual.

So here's the basics off the top of my dome:A topic/word will be given every two weeks/one month and this will be the theme of the piece that must be submitted.
Any type of art will be accepted. This includes musicz, visualz, poetryz, writingz, etcz.
When you submit a piece you should also throw out another idea for a theme. This will keeps things moving along and keep ideas fresh.
Once the time line ends for a particular piece I will simply make a big post within the thread that acknowledges just that. I'll just update the original post with the new information. Hopefully we can get this thread into the trillions.
Questions/Suggestions are always appreciated and awesome, so feel free. I won't troll you in this thread.
Speaking of trolling.. Let's not troll each other in this thread.
You can have up to two pieces per event.
Each week the current winner chooses the next winner on the deadline or 24 hours after. If a new winner isnt chosen in a timely fashion then MLE or myself will choose the next winner.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Winners
3/4/11 Acceleration Theme: Grislygus

6/19/11 THEME:
Jack of All Trades
---------------------------
Guess I'm just going to make this an art exercise/fun thread. Get the creative juices flowing and sh*t something out. I'll update it more often for those who care to participate. If nobody participates I'll still update it until a theme grabs somebody's eye. 6/19/2011

Revolver Mar 4th, 2011 11:09 PM

I'm down.

Grislygus Mar 5th, 2011 02:43 AM

Man, no one's gonna do this.

Still,

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 5th, 2011 04:53 PM

Acceleration:

Accelerating at a thousand m per h's. Crusin at an altitude that is quite persuasive. Swaying to the beat with this mile high dub. Hanging with my honey trying to do my thing. Bill's paranoid and is all like "There's something on the wing." So I decelerate and land the jet at the hub. Stroll down in the heat to a ritzy beach club. Grillin sweet meat with some Stubbs Bar beh queue rub. Increase the flame, let the ribs start to sizzle. Cooking so good it makes Bear Gryls drizzle. Honey's in my arms cuz I'm chocked full of swagger. Shades pulled down as I start to stagger. Tilted back glass filled with Morg's rum stock thats private. Another day in the life of an airline pilot.

Next Weeks theme:

X-MEN

Grislygus Mar 5th, 2011 08:15 PM

Oh yeah, the theme ideas.

SEX AND GUNS

captain516 Mar 5th, 2011 09:37 PM

I've been dying to get some feedback on my art, I guess this is a good place as any.

For the theme: Babies in superhero costumes.

King Hadas Mar 5th, 2011 10:02 PM

Next theme: Beware!

EDIT

EDIT AGAIN!

EDIT ONE MORE TIME! Sorry, but a person should finish what they start.

Zhukov Mar 6th, 2011 07:06 AM

So I would be grateful if someone could colour in the rest of it, as I have run out of textas. Alternatively, how do you use fill in mspaint so that it fills all of the different white pixels and not just each individual shade of white?

Please help.

Next weeks theme: 1992

Zhukov Mar 6th, 2011 07:11 AM

Also :lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost (Post 714509)
Acceleration:

Accelerating at a thousand m per h's. Crusin at an altitude that is quite persuasive. Swaying to the beat with this mile high dub. Hanging with my honey trying to do my thing. Bill's paranoid and is all like "There's something on the wing." So I decelerate and land the jet at the hub. Stroll down in the heat to a ritzy beach club. Grillin sweet meat with some Stubbs Bar beh queue rub. Increase the flame, let the ribs start to sizzle. Cooking so good it makes Bear Gryls drizzle. Honey's in my arms cuz I'm chocked full of swagger. Shades pulled down as I start to stagger. Tilted back glass filled with Morg's rum stock thats private. Another day in the life of an airline pilot.

Next Weeks theme:

X-MEN

Also also: are we voting on winners each bi-week/month? We should.

King Hadas Mar 6th, 2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhukov (Post 714527)
So I would be grateful if someone could colour in the rest of it, as I have run out of textas. Alternatively, how do you use fill in mspaint so that it fills all of the different white pixels and not just each individual shade of white?

I don't think that's possible in any art program, probably look like shit if you did that anyways. You should just buy some more of those exotic textas. Doesn't New Zealand have dollar stores?

Voting might be cool. As a prize Mattjack could send the winner some of those powerful Japanese dollars.

replicant Mar 6th, 2011 12:22 PM

replicant Mar 6th, 2011 12:22 PM

Theme Suggestion: Large Trolls, Tiny Hats

Pub Lover Mar 7th, 2011 08:51 PM

Suggest theme: Dark Cloud

MattJack Mar 7th, 2011 10:57 PM

Wow. I'm glad this thread has taken off! Especially with all these badazz entriez.

Quote:

Also also: are we voting on winners each bi-week/month? We should.
Yeah I'm down for that. The winner could have their work put into the original post within a Spoiler bracket. It will be dated and so forth. How we vote and when needs to be worked out too.

MLE Mar 7th, 2011 11:11 PM

Or you can just pick your favorites, or appoint a different judge each time, just so long as we don't pick ourselves. This would make it roundabout fair, and a lot less hassle.

King Hadas Mar 8th, 2011 01:17 PM

Another way to handle the voting is you could enfranchise everyone who submitted something with the caveat that they can't vote for themselves. MLE, being the Art Mod, and Mattjack, being in the title of the thread, would both get a vote regardless. You could use this system to decide the next theme as well.

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 8th, 2011 04:43 PM

Also, whoever doesn't win gets an infraction. If you don't win a second time you get an infarction. That way this thread doesn't produce any garbage.

executioneer Mar 8th, 2011 07:34 PM

hahahaha

MattJack Mar 16th, 2011 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLE (Post 714641)
Or you can just pick your favorites, or appoint a different judge each time, just so long as we don't pick ourselves. This would make it roundabout fair, and a lot less hassle.

I like this best as it makes everything a lot easier. If it turns out to be lame then we can just change it later.

I like all the initial participation. I will choose the winner for the first one on Friday. We will go with their submitted theme and two weeks from there they will choose a winner.

If they dont choose in a timely fashion then it will default to me or MLE to choose who is next.

:rock

PS I was thinking that two things could be submitted if a person wants to put in the work. Sometimes you have multiple ideas floating around and you cant mesh them into one thing. Is everyone cool with having up to two submissions or not? Still in the brainstorming phase for this thread :{

MattJack Mar 16th, 2011 04:50 AM

Oh yeah, almost forgot.

MLE Mar 16th, 2011 09:44 AM

mattjack, you run the thread the way you want to! people will give you suggestions if they think it can be done better a different way. go with your gut.

MattJack Mar 17th, 2011 09:47 PM

gj grizzzz

captain516 Mar 18th, 2011 02:56 AM

Oh well, I knew I wasn't gonna win.
Congrats, Grizz.

Fathom Zero Mar 18th, 2011 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pub Lover (Post 714633)

Suggest theme: Dark Cloud

:lol

MattJack Mar 21st, 2011 08:37 AM

dont tell me this thread be dead

Fathom Zero Mar 21st, 2011 10:49 AM

I don't know how to art. :(

Grislygus Mar 21st, 2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 714496)
Man, no one's gonna do this. . .

Just look at the EC threads. Still, I'll be cranking one out every week, Sacks and King Hadas will too if they ever sees this thread, we'll see if we can have fun with this for a little while longer

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 24th, 2011 03:36 PM

I'm going to submit something by tomorrow.

Tadao Mar 24th, 2011 04:36 PM

What, is the theme "procrastination"?

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 25th, 2011 09:44 AM

If the theme were to be "daughta raisin" and "fuel time workin" I would have it completed by now.

Headmaster Tadao.

King Hadas Mar 25th, 2011 09:51 PM

I'm reluctant to submit something because I'm a huge prude and this weeks theme frightens me but since Grisly dropped my name I guess I have no choice. What is the policy for NSFW images around here? Is it okay to just stick them in a spoiler tag or should I link to them, keeping them off site?

executioneer Mar 25th, 2011 11:41 PM

link to, spoilers still get loaded on work hard drives

Pentegarn Mar 26th, 2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 715860)

Not only that but

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn

MLE Mar 26th, 2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Hadas (Post 716179)
I'm reluctant to submit something because I'm a huge prude and this weeks theme frightens me but since Grisly dropped my name I guess I have no choice. What is the policy for NSFW images around here? Is it okay to just stick them in a spoiler tag or should I link to them, keeping them off site?

Answer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLE (Post 516854)
THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE:
Not everyone sees artistic nudity the same way. Pay special attention to these rules.
  • Artistic nudity is allowed, but only when tagged as NSFW in the thread title.
  • You are not allowed to post NSFW images in threads that do not have NSFW in their title.
  • If you want to put NSFW pieces in threads that do NOT have NSFW in their title, post it as a link (instead of an image), and clearly state that your link is NSFW.

King Hadas Mar 27th, 2011 03:45 AM

This is just a shitty doodle but it might get things going. If your wondering about all the green it's because GIMP confuses me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/sexnguns.jpg

Pram Maven May 11th, 2011 10:19 PM

Yeah, Gimp does not have the friendliest GUI. Have you tried Paint.NET? There are a few other good free programs out there if you don't like that one.

Pram Maven May 11th, 2011 10:20 PM

Crap, sorry for the bump, I forgot to look at the date first. :sheepish:

captain516 May 15th, 2011 08:46 PM

fuck i wish this could start up again :(

MattJack Jun 7th, 2011 11:41 PM

It failed too hard and nobody wants to do it

:(

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 8th, 2011 10:48 AM

If I could find how to rip a scene out of rambo I would have uploaded one.

MattJack Jun 19th, 2011 09:28 PM

updated

shts changed

captain516 Jun 22nd, 2011 09:52 PM

I can't remember, did Jake look like this?
Fuck it, close enough probably

Zhukov Jun 23rd, 2011 01:12 AM

I always thought of him as small and skinny.

I haven't got any interesting ideas for this topic, but I'll try. :\

King Hadas Jun 24th, 2011 07:18 PM

An old attempt at Law Strips.

executioneer Jun 24th, 2011 07:21 PM

needs a "mamma mia" thought bubble in the last panel

King Hadas Jun 24th, 2011 07:29 PM

executioneer Jun 24th, 2011 07:35 PM

hahaha not what i meant but still great

Zhukov Jun 25th, 2011 01:52 AM

:lol

Chojin Jun 25th, 2011 02:46 AM

since the thought bubble is totally obscuring the principal, i think it'd be funnier if he was thinking of "RAVIOLI"

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 25th, 2011 05:34 PM

MOVIES
BOOKS
GAMES
MUSIC

Fathom Zero Jun 26th, 2011 12:38 AM

lolololol

captain516 Jun 29th, 2011 01:21 AM

where are the pants?

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 29th, 2011 02:03 AM

:0 How do you know about the pants?

captain516 Jun 30th, 2011 12:13 AM

i know lots of things.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 30th, 2011 09:31 AM

:conspiracy

King Hadas Jul 25th, 2011 07:24 PM

I originally posted this in a pixel art critique forum, didn't get much feedback. I'm finding working with colors is pretty intimidating. While posting this I noticed a discrepancy in brightness due to different backgrounds.

Stuff like this makes me want to go back to doodling in my notebook margins.

Grislygus Jul 25th, 2011 07:28 PM

What, you don't like the way it looks on grey as opposed to black?

executioneer Jul 25th, 2011 07:41 PM

or on RED :bape

King Hadas Jul 25th, 2011 07:52 PM

I don't know, it's just a lot of variables to take in. Makes me appreciate the thought that goes into pixel art for actual games.

King Hadas Jul 25th, 2011 08:24 PM

The response I got at pixelation made me lose interest in this but looking at it now I don't think it looks too bad, I might try to animate it. That may prove to be too ambitious though :x

Grislygus Jul 26th, 2011 05:24 AM

The skull itself looks fine. Not sure what the hell that bottom blue thing is, though, and the red cloak is not quite sure if it wants to be representational or be stylized, so it just looks plain off. There's a "pixel art critique" forum? Link prz

King Hadas Jul 26th, 2011 11:35 AM

http://pixelation.wayofthepixel.net/

This forum has this cool feature where when you click on a picture it automatically enlarges letting you get a better look at those sweet pixels.

If you get curious and so you don't have to look for it, the thread I started is called [C+C][WIP]Bacterial Ghost. Actually the critique I got was very similar to what you just offered Grislygus. No one ever guesses the body is supposed to be a single celled organism. I'm not bitching about pixelation by the way. The response I got there was very good, just not very encouraging.

Grislygus Jul 26th, 2011 03:50 PM

Using a reference for that bacterial section would help, then. It's a simple form, combining it with a flat pixelized style means that it's going to be seen as "the red bit".

Another problem is that when people think "bacteria" they don't envision what a bacteria actually looks like. A combination shape inspired by a mitochondria and golgi apparatus may help. I'd cut off the skull and slap it on a new shape.

Grislygus Jul 26th, 2011 04:01 PM

Jesus, those guys are doing pro work. Of course you're just going to get a "total overhaul" critique, I thought it was just some sort of hobby thing. The idea behind getting a critique is to get help fixing problems that you already know about and become aware of problems that you didn't. The only time anyone ever says "it's really good" in a critique is when they don't give a shit and aren't interested in helping you

EDIT: After pouring over the forum, I notice that a lot of the posters are annoying pissants. Pay extremely close attention to anything that "EyeCraft" or "Olothontor" says. Other than that, take advice if it sounds good and remember that you're not on their level. If you let superior artists help you, you'll get better far quicker than at a naive pace

Fathom Zero Jul 27th, 2011 08:23 PM

They sound a lot like Polycount. I really like Polycount, though. :\

10,000 Volt Ghost Jul 27th, 2011 11:46 PM

Happy birthday hadas. I was busy.

King Hadas Jul 28th, 2011 05:21 PM

No worries brother, I know how it goes.

Nick Aug 4th, 2011 02:11 PM

I really dig the giant skull design, Hadas. It looks really nice, but I can't figure out what that red appendage is suppose to be. What is it?

King Hadas Aug 4th, 2011 10:43 PM

I'm not telling. When, or if, I fix this you'll know without having to ask.

Nick Aug 5th, 2011 06:00 AM

I'll be waiting for your revised Skull Slug then.