I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What are you playing right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697399)

OxBlood Aug 25th, 2011 03:14 AM

Right, so I got my copy of Deus Ex 3 yesterday and played through the first mission and the Detroit-Hub after that. This is one good game, really. A lot to do, well written, even the german dub is okay so far, Jensen´s VA actually read dialogue, not just lines (still gonna get a UK-360-Version).

Concerning Augmentations, I put most of my praxis (why the strange name, never heard that in english) points into hacking which is a fun little minigame and since there´s no lockpicking or electronics-bypassing anymore, hacking seems to be WAY more important than in DE1.

At first I was really pissed about the absence of Skills, you know, Low-Tech, Swimming, etc. But it seems like they integrated most of them into the Aug-System and just got rid of the weapon-skills which kinda makes sense, given Jensen´s past, he should know how to handle regular weapons quite well.

The only thing I regret is not picking the Taser in the beginning. The stupid Tranq-Rifle is nice and all but there´s no fucking ammo for it :lol

All in all, a great experience so far.

Fathom Zero Aug 25th, 2011 03:34 AM

I'm at the first boss and I officially hate it. I hate it and its lack of ammo and melee weapons.

k0k0 Aug 25th, 2011 04:11 AM

I just hated dealing with the bosses so far. I have no experience using these lethal weapons since I'm going through the game non-lethally knocking everyone out. Then they force me into boss battles where I have very little protection from damage and have to use weapons I have no experience wielding. Still fun though.

Dr. Boogie Aug 25th, 2011 04:17 AM

The best way I've found to deal with bosses (at least the first one) is to hold onto those little explosive packets and blow those up near him. I think two of those will do the trick.

Phoenix Gamma Aug 25th, 2011 07:27 AM

The bosses clobber anyone specced and geared for stealth. Shit sucks.

I felt pretty boss getting the achievement for shaking down that one asshole in Malik's mission on y first go. Then I punch him fir being a dick. Wanted to do that to te boss during that one debate in his office. Won that on my first go, though, so there was no need I guess.

I really like Jumping the rooftops in Chinese Midgar. Shit's awesome.

k0k0 Aug 25th, 2011 08:55 AM

The first boss was a lot tougher than the second. Maybe because I had 3 different lethals that I was saving just for the next boss I fought (I picked points so that I could carry the full amount). So I am pretty much carrying around 3 non-lethals and 3 lethals at all times. And only use the lethals for bosses. Would be easier if I knew when I was reaching a boss so that I could just start picking them up.

OxBlood Aug 25th, 2011 05:58 PM

I think it took me about 8 tries to beat the first boss...he´s stupid. you can´t let him near you, you can´t be in the open when he´s firing and if you throw grenades at him, the throws 20 back...now, I´m not a non-lethal Jensen, but I´m a hacker, which means no heavy weapons for me, only handguns and light automatics, avoiding combat if possible...not a good setup for the boss.

Fathom Zero Aug 25th, 2011 06:07 PM

I did it on the hardest difficulty, too. If I step out for a second, I'm blown away. Thankfully he was a stupid fuck and walked away as I kept spinning around him using a column. I hit him with the explosive bomb-bag looking thing then used the machine pistol I found there. Then I hit him another time with a concussion grenade and unloaded six shells from the shotgun into him. After that, he started throwing three grenades at a time. I just stepped out of cover to put a few more in him and he went down easy.

Shortly after, my "demo ended." ;)

I was nervous about the game all of the sudden, so I decided to use my internet powers and sample it. It's pretty good and I think I'll end up getting it. :D Even with the fucked bosses.

I'm gonna go back and silently slaughter everyone in the police station. Or walk into the middle of a big room and use my Typhoon. Either way. :lol

Phoenix Gamma Aug 26th, 2011 12:11 AM

I turned the difficulty down from normal to easy and unloaded a whole clip on the boss, and that killed him. Then turned it back up to normal. It wasn't a "man this is really hard" thing, it was a "man, this isn't very fun, I want to get back to the fun part" thing. I'm gonna do a second playthrough and deal with them then. I just want my first play to be fun before I start obsessing over achievements and shit.

I was at work today wondering what would happen if I went up to Sarif and offed him with a silenced pistol. I think I'll go try that now.
EDIT: oh, I didn't realize that I can't use weapons OR takedowns in the office. Lame.

k0k0 Aug 26th, 2011 12:40 AM

I hope there's not an achievement for not killing people. I used a non-lethal blast gun and it ended up killing a guy because a dumpster flew up and hit him. Ruined my streak and I had saved over my main save before realizing he was dead. After that I started using several save files.

Dr. Boogie Aug 26th, 2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0k0 (Post 739608)
I hope there's not an achievement for not killing people. I used a non-lethal blast gun and it ended up killing a guy because a dumpster flew up and hit him. Ruined my streak and I had saved over my main save before realizing he was dead. After that I started using several save files.

There is one for no killing, but I don't know if a dumpster flying into somebody because it was pushed by a gun will count toward that. I guess you'll just have to play to the end to find out.;)

timrpgland Aug 26th, 2011 03:10 PM

I'm picking up my copy of Deus Ex 3 tonight.

Been playing WoW for season 10... ugh.

k0k0 Aug 27th, 2011 10:59 AM

I just beat Deus Ex. I'm thinking I'll have to replay it again in a few months, after the winter games all come out, so that it won't be so fresh in my mind. It was a great game though, super ending(s) that made sense. And by the end I really did feel like a total badass. I was worried that the praxis points wouldn't be coming fast enough, but really at the end, I was having trouble finding something to put points in because I got everything I wanted.

OxBlood Aug 27th, 2011 11:48 AM

I too just finished DE3. Impressive rebirth of a beloved franchise if you ask me. Almost flawless, a lot of fun, rather compelling story (still, it´s pretty easy to tell where they go with it at any given time but how it makes one think about some things is pretty well done).

Gameplaywise it´s true to the original but streamlined to fit the times better and I think it succeeds at that. I was a little disappointed that there was no second "wave" of Augmentations, what you can see once you start is all you´ll get and k0k0 is right, after 2/3, you simple fill slots with all those Praxispoints.

Very good game, highly reccomend playing it if you even remotely liked the original.

9.5/10, Goty so far along with Xenoblade.

k0k0 Aug 27th, 2011 12:13 PM

I'm trying to get into xenoblade, but none of my televisions have composite/component in except for a standard definition tv and for some reason xenoblade shows in widescreen format on it, so all the letters are smaller. For my 360 I use the vga cable on my big screen, but wii I am having trouble seeing what item names are and everything. It is still a nice game so far though.

Mad Melvin Aug 27th, 2011 02:19 PM

You should start a new topic for DE3. I don't wanna read spoilers when checking this thread you jerks.

Fathom Zero Aug 28th, 2011 09:39 AM

hulolololollolololol

Pentegarn Aug 28th, 2011 10:03 AM

I shouldn't find that so humorous, but I do for some reason.

Fathom Zero Aug 28th, 2011 10:07 AM

Text-to-speech will never not be funny.

Pentegarn Aug 28th, 2011 10:11 AM

Good point actually

k0k0 Aug 28th, 2011 10:15 AM

I remember back when I first figured out the diary program for windows 3.1 had a text to speech deal. I made so many prank calls as a robot. I miss the days of no caller ID.

LordSappington Aug 29th, 2011 04:29 AM

Borderlands was $7 with all DLC on Steam, so my two friends and I got it to play online together. Well, they started without me, so when I joined, I was level 1 to their 6, and couldn't do their quests and got raped constantly. Apparently my connection is shit when I make a server, so that's out.
We started a new game, but they then went and got way ahead of me again, so I can't even do much damage to anything! So, I just went offline and beat the entirety of Dr. Zed or whatever. Because fuck you guys; I'm going to take ALL THE KILLS NOW.
Also: "Hey guys, get near my turret; it'll regen your health and ammo!"
"LOL NO"
My friends are retarded.

k0k0 Aug 29th, 2011 04:37 AM

Your friends do sound pretty retarded. I remember when I was going through borderlands we made a pact not to play it when the others weren't so we all went through together. It worked out really well and we all got into kind of a machine rhythm with how we did things, knowing how to act in each situation. We went through the whole game twice with our characters and got them all up to max level. Was a great time. I can't wait for borderlands 2.

LordSappington Aug 29th, 2011 04:41 AM

When I first played it, I wasn't too impressed, but this time seems more fun. The only problem is that my friends have a mentality like "Grab everything before anyone else can; run ahead of everyone to win!" while I'm trying to keep everyone alive and provide support. I'm trying to tell them that I'M the damn Soldier; they're the Sniper and Siren, so THEY should hold back while I aggro, instead of them rushing forward and getting smacked around.
At least I'll get my small moment of asshole triumph on them with all my overpowered weapons.

Mad Melvin Aug 29th, 2011 05:50 AM

I played through Borderlands recently with a friend aswell. Fun game. I have no idea what the plot was though, since I had no intrest in reading walls of boring text. I mainly focused on killing enemies with a sweet sniper rifle that had bullets made of acid. ACID!

OxBlood Aug 29th, 2011 06:54 AM

Finished Deus Ex HR. I guess I´ll play it again on Hard, then switch back to Xenoblade until Dead Island and Spacemarine get here next week...

k0k0 Aug 29th, 2011 11:33 AM

I'm waiting on reviews for dead island before I buy since the next few months are going to be video game heavy events for me.

LordSappington Aug 29th, 2011 12:38 PM

I thought it was kinda weird how much emphasis the ads put on them holding guns, when all the things I read about the game emphasized that there would be very few guns, and focused on melee combat.
But that's just my weird observation.
As for the Borderlands plot: There's a big ol' hidden Vault full of treasure rumored for generations. You and your party are looking for it. Stuff happens along the way.
Spoilers!

k0k0 Aug 29th, 2011 12:58 PM

Spoilers!

OxBlood Aug 30th, 2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0k0 (Post 740000)
I'm waiting on reviews for dead island before I buy since the next few months are going to be video game heavy events for me.

I can just go and get it since I don´t have to pay full price for it AND one of my best friends is my Zombie go-to guy, whatever it is with zombies, he´s the man you need for coop and stuff...we´re both actually :D

I guess if Z-Day really comes someday we´ll die like everybody else but we´d have fun while fleeing our impending doom :lol

k0k0 Aug 30th, 2011 01:54 AM

Yeah, and when the apocalypse comes I'll be ready because I played lots of doom as a kid.

Of course both things have about the same chance of actually happening.

Sam Aug 30th, 2011 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0k0 (Post 740070)
Yeah, and when the apocalypse comes I'll be ready because I played lots of doom as a kid.

UM ONLY IF THE APOCALYPSE TAKES PLACE ON MARS, JEEZ. :rolleyes

Shyandquietguy Aug 30th, 2011 02:39 AM

I've been playing Borderlands like a mofo and will not be surprised if I come out with a complexion of a ten year long meth user.

Good god, this eight dollar thing saved my week off.

OxBlood Aug 30th, 2011 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0k0 (Post 740070)

But the Inca!!!...Wait...Maya!

LordSappington Aug 30th, 2011 03:30 AM

Turns out that Borderlands multiplayer isn't much fun at all. I tend to take things slow, while my friends are practically playing a goddamn speed run with all the quests. I had to reset my skills, because what the fuck is the point of setting up to heal teammates if they won't stand still for a second?
God, I haven't been this stressed at a team game in a long time.

k0k0 Aug 30th, 2011 03:38 AM

It's not that fun because your friends are retarded. Me and my buddies took it slow, let everyone read the quest notes, split loot evenly and never got far ahead. Good luck beating Crawmerax if you guys aren't able to work together.

Dr. Boogie Aug 30th, 2011 03:40 AM

Yeah, you definitely don't want to try coop in a game like that unless you have someone willing to experience the game along with you, rather than guys blazing through the slow parts to get loot.

LordSappington Aug 30th, 2011 03:44 AM

It's really disappointing. I might just be overreacting right now, though, so I'm going to stop playing for a bit and try again when I'm not stressed so much.

10,000 Volt Ghost Aug 30th, 2011 04:00 PM

but then your other dudes are gonna have higher level than your dude.

darkvare Aug 30th, 2011 06:04 PM

by the middle point my character was pretty much sweating bullets for infinite ammo my turret healed me so i was pretty much unkillable

Shyandquietguy Aug 30th, 2011 11:45 PM

I got an awesome shotty which has saved my ass by second wind so many times that it's not even funny.

Borderlands is literally the closest I'll get to being up to date gaming wise.

In the mean time I'm trying to ID my mobo so hopefully I won't have to go through replacing that just so I can be an inch or two more relevant without killing my savings.

Zomboid Sep 1st, 2011 07:06 PM

I'm most of the way through Fallout 2 now. I don't know what I'll play next, but I dug out my copy of STALKER, and I got a mouse for my laptop, so I could finally play games with MattJack and Sam on Steam.

Sam Sep 2nd, 2011 12:05 AM

IF YOU TOLD US YOUR STEAM NAME, BRAH.

Nick Sep 2nd, 2011 12:14 AM

Its probably Zomboid.

Maybe.

Sam Sep 2nd, 2011 12:23 AM

NICK, YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

Nick Sep 2nd, 2011 12:37 AM

IM JUST GOING OFF HIS XBLA TAG

OOPS

LordSappington Sep 2nd, 2011 03:17 AM

Bought myself a 3DS. So far I love it; it's sleek, shiny, and has a bunch of neat features.
Still playing Borderlands; it got better for a bit, but now that we're playing Moxxi's Underdome Riot, it's gotten much much worse. My best mate, playing Mordechai, is generally cool; we work together well, and he stands still so I can actually use my healing abilities with him.
My other friend, playing Lilith, got his hands on several obscenely powerful guns with x4 elemental chances. So, he's now just zipping across the stadium, exploding stuff, taking all the kills, and generally being an ass. I finally stopped trying to heal and revive him because fuck it.
Also, if anyone's up for some Borderlands, Killing Floor, or TF2, my Steam is lordsappington. Yaaay

k0k0 Sep 2nd, 2011 04:58 AM

I wouldn't do Moxxi ever again. it was about 4 hours of stupidness just to beat one room completely at the highest level. It's probably one of the worst dlc addons. But it's ok because the rest of the borderlands dlc is some of the best dlc.

LordSappington Sep 2nd, 2011 11:38 AM

I really like it so far. Moxxi is hilarious, but as usual I'm not getting drops worth shit.
As an interesting side note, this was posted from my shiny new 3ds. Turns out you can even stream netflix!

Fathom Zero Sep 2nd, 2011 11:43 AM

I'm convinced that the 3DS is just a ploy to fuck with people's depth perception such that they get into horrible, lethal accidents, thus culling the world population of the lesser among us.

Zomboid Sep 2nd, 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 740418)
IF YOU TOLD US YOUR STEAM NAME, BRAH.

I think it's LucIsSoBadass. I can't add anyone myself until I get a game.

Phoenix Gamma Sep 2nd, 2011 02:35 PM

I've been playing the original Zelda on my 3DS because Star Fox 64 3D isn't out yet.

Also Groove Coaster on iPhone is pretty baller.

OxBlood Sep 3rd, 2011 04:05 AM

Gah, Space Marine is out and my dealer doesn´t have it yet...annoying...same with Dead Island..

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 3rd, 2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OxBlood (Post 740591)
Gah, Space Marine is out and my dealer doesn´t have it yet...annoying...same with Dead Island..

Is it a Black Market game Ox?

kahljorn Sep 3rd, 2011 06:02 PM

KEEP IT ON THE DOWNLOW

OxBlood Sep 3rd, 2011 07:35 PM

What? No, a friend of mine runs a video store thats all. Seems like the german version is out, I ordered the UK-Version, it´s about 10 bucks cheaper.

kahljorn Sep 3rd, 2011 08:45 PM

A STORE IN AN ALLEY BEHIND A DUMPSTER

OX IS A NARC

is there a place in germany that isnt retarded about videogames?

Dr. Boogie Sep 3rd, 2011 09:24 PM

I decided to go for all the achievements in WotS3, even the really annoying "find every sword and learn all the moves" ones. I really like this game and I'm hoping like hell the fourth one makes it stateside. Also, the push/pull meter is present on every difficulty. I must've been high when I said it didn't.

Started playing Shadows of the Damned. It's fun, but I'm about halfway done after playing for a little over 2 hours.

OxBlood Sep 4th, 2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahljorn (Post 740641)
A STORE IN AN ALLEY BEHIND A DUMPSTER

OX IS A NARC

is there a place in germany that isnt retarded about videogames?

Yeah, basically that video store and...maybe one more online retailer that doesn´t give a shit about release-dates. I wonder how long until the publishers close him down :lol

k0k0 Sep 4th, 2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie (Post 740642)
I decided to go for all the achievements in WotS3, even the really annoying "find every sword and learn all the moves" ones. I really like this game and I'm hoping like hell the fourth one makes it stateside. Also, the push/pull meter is present on every difficulty. I must've been high when I said it didn't.

Started playing Shadows of the Damned. It's fun, but I'm about halfway done after playing for a little over 2 hours.

The only thing I hated about playing the game about 60 times was the amount of times I had to fetch old woman panties. It seemed like that quest just pissed me off. Other than that, the game was great. I'm glad you got into it more. I wish I had all the achievements, but it takes forever to learn a sword.

Dr. Boogie Sep 4th, 2011 02:41 AM

Learning? Nah, I just bought all the scrolls I could afford, learned all the skills for a sword, then I'd kill the shopkeeper, take back my money, leave town, and start it up again until I knew everything. Takes a little while, though not nearly as much time as getting the swords themselves, and a whole lot less than trying to learn the skills the honest way.

The one quest I hated, and I never wound up seeing it through, was the one where you have to cut all the women's dresses with your sword without hitting them, all while they run around like idiots. Whoever came up with that quest is an asshole.

kahljorn Sep 4th, 2011 03:06 AM

so basiaclly the quest was to get women naked without killing them with no ramifications whatsoever and you have a problem with this

Dr. Boogie Sep 4th, 2011 03:43 AM

Not naked, you just cut off a couple extra feet of fabric so their legs are exposed above the knee. The trick is finding the exact distance to stand from them so you don't wind up slicing them in half, and using a sword that had the right attack that'll hit in the right area.

I was getting paid the same amount for that job as I was for transporting a letter to a messenger who was 50 feet away. Those women can undress themselves.

k0k0 Sep 4th, 2011 05:33 AM

I became an expert at doing that but only with one sword. I can't remember which. I'd always cut the dress of my wife. (I married the slut)

Dr. Boogie Sep 4th, 2011 02:05 PM

Doesn't she always steal your stuff when you leave her alone?

k0k0 Sep 4th, 2011 02:14 PM

Well, the slut I'm with steals money to see the fortune teller. But I have enough money so that doesn't matter too much.

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 5th, 2011 12:47 AM

I wish the fortune teller would tell her that her thieving ways are going to get her killed from behind.

Mad Melvin Sep 5th, 2011 05:09 AM

After Deus Ex I decided to pick up Alice: Madness Begins. It's ok. Level design is a bit too unimaginative at times, considering it's supposed to be Wonderland. There have been a few really cool ideas though, and I like the parts where you go back to the real world. Creates a nice contrast. The controls and camera work well enough, so the platforming stuff isn't too frustrating, and the graphics are decent. Oddly, when opening the weapons menu for example, it's choppy as hell. The game itself runs fine, so I don't get it.

HD version of the original Alice is a nice bonus too. Played it for a bit and it still seems like a solid game.

OxBlood Sep 5th, 2011 07:40 AM

My biggest complain about the design of Alice 2 is that they didn´t use the London-Setting enough. The contrast is gorgeous and really adds to the weirdness and the looming feeling of insanity that comes with the game...

MarioRPG Sep 5th, 2011 05:17 PM

I keep trying to get back into Super Meat Boy but it's just making me mad and not in the good way it used to.

Also heroes of might and magic 3 is still sweet, the artifacts they added in the expansions get a little ridiculous at times though.

darkvare Sep 5th, 2011 05:59 PM

anyone has a recomendation for a 5 dollar game on steam?

Mad Melvin Sep 5th, 2011 06:47 PM

X-COM: UFO Defense
X-COM: Apocalypse
Splinter Cell
Commandos 2
One of the Lucasarts point & click adventures
Oddworld pack

Dr. Boogie Sep 5th, 2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkvare (Post 740831)
anyone has a recomendation for a 5 dollar game on steam?

Well I liked Fortix. It's sort of a less daunting version of that arcade game, Qix. They've got a demo for it and the sequel on Steam.

I guess it's down to $0.99 now. Geez, I feel like like a sucker for buying it years ago for five bucks.

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 5th, 2011 07:36 PM

Anyone going to get Dead Island?

It looks like a 4 person Dead Rising 2.

Dr. Boogie Sep 5th, 2011 07:46 PM

I'm kind of looking at it, but the word is that it's really buggy, so much so that even the Day 1 patch won't have cleared up all the issues.

Fathom Zero Sep 5th, 2011 07:55 PM

It looks like it's gonna be as good as Deadly Premonition. I'm getting B-Game vibes from it.

I'll check it out.

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 5th, 2011 08:00 PM

The thing I'm still skeptical about is that I haven't seen any gameplay on it yet, only cinematics.

Fathom Zero Sep 5th, 2011 08:02 PM

Well there's plenty of gameplay footage, (which I am unable to put here, at the moment.)

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 5th, 2011 08:10 PM

I'll try looking online then, I've been checking the xbox marketplace and they didn't have any up.

darkvare Sep 5th, 2011 08:25 PM

the gametrailers review is up has plenty of gameplay

Dr. Boogie Sep 5th, 2011 08:59 PM

What I'm hearing is that it's fun, but it definitely has that budget title feel to it, along with the distinct feeling that it was rushed out the door.

I'll probably pick up the PC version, for what it's worth.

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 5th, 2011 10:12 PM

Really? I read somewhere that it was supposed to come out in like 2006 or something. Hopefully they would have had enough time to polish it up since then.

I'll check out gametrailers review when I get home too.

Nick Sep 5th, 2011 10:57 PM

Yeah, it's been in dev for aaaages now. I thought it was never going to come out.

OxBlood Sep 6th, 2011 03:07 AM

I haven´t heard anything about bugs from the guys who already have it. All in all it seems to be a very good title if you´re into the whole Zombie-thing and the coop is just the icing on the cake for me :)

I don´t know which character to play though...probably the rapper-guy

k0k0 Sep 6th, 2011 03:12 AM

My question is, can you co-op through the whole game?

kahljorn Sep 6th, 2011 03:12 AM

I've been thinking about picking up dead island as well :D

coop sounds fun but what the hell is it all about?

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 6th, 2011 09:13 AM

It sounds like its 4 player co op the entire game. I saw some video of the gameplay and was kinda disapointed. It looks like age of conan battling(which isn't bad, just not for me in a zombie game). I might be totally lame and get the new dead rising 2 game.

OxBlood Sep 6th, 2011 09:20 AM

In terms of gameplay, Dead Island is a melee-centered survival horror game in an open world enviroment as far as I know. You can hack away at your opponents (watch your stamina), throw things at them or unleash your mighty rage-attacks. Your weapons need to be maintained, firearms are not very common (it´s a holiday resort after all) and fighting the zombies is most of the time not as effective as trying to bypass them as one reviewer put it.

Killing the undead and completing quests (of which there seem to be a lot) nets you XP. Level up and you can put upgrade points into one of 3 skill trees. I don´t know if those trees are unique to each character or if it´s just one. You can also upgrade your weapons via blueprints and money, find collectibles and so on and so forth.

Aparently the game takes around 20-30 hrs to complete and it is playable in coop from start to finish.

...and I still don´t have it which slowly but surely makes me angry.

k0k0 Sep 6th, 2011 09:30 AM

I can get it if I want, but I am just wondering why you would put any points into firearms if it's focused on melee and it'll just hinder you. I'm looking all over online for information about that kind of stuff but nobody explains it.

Fathom Zero Sep 6th, 2011 09:47 AM

Because there are humans you come across that are hostile and will shoot you.

It's Borderlands with guns. And I hated Borderlands.

kahljorn Sep 6th, 2011 03:25 PM

a zombie game without guns just sounds horrible

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 6th, 2011 03:32 PM

I looked at some of the skill trees, they look kind of dumb.

Fathom Zero Sep 6th, 2011 04:35 PM

I just realized I said it was Borderlands with guns, when I meant it completely the opposite. I think I have Alzheimer's.

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 6th, 2011 04:48 PM

FAILZHEIMERS......

:(

King Hadas Sep 6th, 2011 11:17 PM

Bought Saints Row/Saints Rows 2 for twenty bucks. Didn't like the first one at all but the second one is great. The first one uses the GTA concept and becomes an inferior off brand. The second one takes the concept and polishes it to near perfection. SR2 is better than GTA4. Also SR2 has the best character customization of any game I can think of. Your character is evil as fuck as well which is pretty interesting.

Fathom Zero Sep 6th, 2011 11:56 PM

And Cockney accents. Can't go wrong with those.

k0k0 Sep 7th, 2011 03:50 AM

Yeah, saint's row 2 was excellent. My dude was hugely fat with a mullet and I had the slider for his tits just low enough not to become pixelated. He wore a tube top and short shorts. Cockney accent of course. My roommate's character looked like an alien grandma.

OxBlood Sep 7th, 2011 05:42 AM

I played about 4 hours of Dead Island yesterday. This is one good game, let me tell you.

First, it has guns but not many which is awesome because this game somehow manages to create a feeling of dread and threat I haven´t seen in a while. All while the sun shines down on you and the ocean sparkles in the distance. I actually stopped and listend to the survivors cowering in the wooden shacks on the beach, trying to be as quiet a possible, going insane or just losing it crying for their mommy. Those pixelated beings are terrorized and I believe it.

The combat is actually really fun cause it tries to be a little more realistic since you simply won´t HAVE firearms in a place like that (or anyplace outside the US or the middle east for that matter ;)). As a European I can really relate to that, when we think "improvised defense" we think in terms of tools and kitchen appliances :lol

Anyway, combat is fun, the weapons are varied from planks over diving knifes and hammers to deodorant-bombs, they´re moddable, upgradable and they break quickly which adds to the survival aspect of the game since this really is a survival-horror game. You also tactically cripple the Zombies, break or cutt off their lims to slow them down and kick the shit out of them. It´s especially fun to kick them into the pools watching them struggle to get back out :)

The skilltrees look a little bland at first glance but they´re pretty usefull as far as I can tell. Each character has a different focus (and they all have different skill trees mostly), one even functions as a sort of Paladin (for lack of a better word), improving teammates and things like that. Oh and that character also always carries a gun (but she can only use it in Rage-Mode).

Even the quests in this game seem good as they all make sense so far. Fetch medical supplies for the girl bleeding out on the floor, help repair the generators for the lighthouse, look for survivors of a plane crash, things like that.

As far as I can tell from my brief experience with the game, this is a definite must-buy for any Zombie fan :)

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 7th, 2011 12:31 PM

I'm playing as sam b. Just got to the lighthouse. Have you played online at all yet ox?

OxBlood Sep 7th, 2011 01:15 PM

I´m also playing as Sam for now but I guess I´ll play Purna online. Haven´t tried it yet though. My normal Co-op buddy doesn´t have it yet and maybe it´s a good idea to wait for the day1-patch...