I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Weekly Movie Review: UHF (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69699184)

MockBot Mar 6th, 2008 04:50 PM

Weekly Movie Review: UHF

Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: UHF.

Elvirathon Mar 6th, 2008 05:10 PM

First!!!
oh and good review

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 6th, 2008 05:48 PM

Yes, for a very long time this has been one of my favorite movies. Especially Conan's face when he finds out the customer's book are being returned late.

Its_Not_a_tumor Mar 6th, 2008 06:00 PM

SPATULA CITY!
SPATULA CITY!
SPATULA CITY!
SPATULA CITY!
SPATULA CITY!
SPATULA CITY!

Tadao Mar 6th, 2008 06:05 PM

BADGERS? We don't need no stinkin' BADGERS!

Ferrit Mar 6th, 2008 07:40 PM

If that little kid hadn't cracked a smile after hawking that huge clam right on Al/George's nose, it might well have been the funniest moment in theatrical history. As it turned out, it was pretty gd funny even with the smile goof.

Would love to say I caught this in the theater during the week it was out - sadly, I did not. Fortunately it hit cable pretty quick, and the copy I made got enough viewings to wear it thin thin thin until eBay landed me a VHS copy. Finally the gods smiled and released it on DVD :)

plooker Mar 6th, 2008 08:05 PM

OH, RoG, only a 4 pickle rating? This film made 'Amazon Women on the Moon' look like 'Kentucky Fried Movie.' Of course, I am biased, having fallen in love with Al in 1985, when I was 9. When this hit video it blew my tiny mind.

Ferrit Mar 6th, 2008 08:24 PM

RoG - IMHO this movie deserves to be a full feature review - not just a quickie Weekly

fluffkomix Mar 6th, 2008 08:27 PM

i want to see it now

Tetsu Deinonychus Mar 6th, 2008 09:18 PM

First of all, I second Ferrit's idea.

Also, I so wish Weird Al would make another movie. I have a feeling it would be much more successful these days. I think UHF was just ahead of it's time.

Oh well, I guess he's too busy with his music videos, etc. to make another one.

BTW, anyone here seen his Trapped In The Drive-Through vid, yet? It's hilarious.

Mockery Mar 6th, 2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plooker (Post 536743)
OH, RoG, only a 4 pickle rating? This film made 'Amazon Women on the Moon' look like 'Kentucky Fried Movie.' Of course, I am biased, having fallen in love with Al in 1985, when I was 9. When this hit video it blew my tiny mind.

4 pickles is a very good rating. I just try to reserve my 5 pickle ratings for my ultimate favorites. A lot of sites out there hand out perfect ratings all too often, so I wanna be honest with all o' my reviews in terms of what I think of 'em. I generally don't think much of sites who hand out perfect ratings constantly, just doesn't seem like you can take their opinions seriously. UHF rules though, no doubt about it and Weird Al was a huge influence on me as a kid and the fact that he's still just as good these days as he was back then says a lot about just how talented he is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrit (Post 536752)
RoG - IMHO this movie deserves to be a full feature review - not just a quickie Weekly

Honestly, I don't think it does. I generally give full feature reviews to a) undiscovered gems that hardly anybody has seen or b) cheesy movies with an amazing amount of unintentional humor.

An intentionally hilarious movie like UHF would be hard to do my usual commentary on, because nothing I say would really add onto it. I've been working on a big feature movie review all this week and it should be up sometime next week... I guarantee it won't disappoint. Action, cheese, the works.

We now return you to Stanley Spadowski's Playhouse, already in progress on Channel 62.

Ferrit Mar 6th, 2008 11:45 PM

:) Point taken. Looking forward to the next big feature movie review. They're what give my life purpose ;)

I'm thinking of something orange....something orange....orange....give up? It's an ORANGE!!!

Esuohlim Mar 7th, 2008 01:20 AM

I first saw this movie about four years ago or so, whenever it was that it came out on DVD. I loved it right away but it made me wish I saw it when I was a lot younger since this seems like nostaligic-about-childhood kind of movie. :(

shakaconner Mar 7th, 2008 03:03 AM

Great flick, BIG EDNA!? BIG EDNA!? I recently named a gigantic sledding hill I made with some friends "Big Edna."

executioneer Mar 7th, 2008 03:21 AM

FUN TRIVIA: R.J. Fletcher's son is played by the same guy who was Jambi the Genie on Pee-Wee's Playhouse :(

NightProwler Mar 7th, 2008 04:34 AM

This flick had completely slipped my mind. I was not even aware that is was available on DVD. Damn! I'm going to have to pull out my box of old VHS tapes and give this a look. Christ! I must be the only person on the planet that still has a VCR. I hope the heads don't need cleaning.

saturnknight Mar 7th, 2008 07:44 AM

i love this movie, the only reason it did bad in theaters was because it was released the same time as Batman and Indiana Jones

Doctor_Who Mar 7th, 2008 07:51 AM

I love this movie to death. It may have flopped (C'mon! It was competing with Batman and Indiana Jones!) but I'd rank it up there with Airplane and Naked Gun for fans of wacky comedies.

Icculus Mar 7th, 2008 10:03 AM

The was one of the best movies to come out in the 80's. When he is Rambo and blowing everything up and just yelling is incredible. It's almost like he saw into the future and was preparing for the new John Rambo movie.

The UHF sound track was the first cassette that I ever bought. I still have it in my car. The odd thing is I don't have a tape player in it anymore. I guess I should clean my car one of these days. I think I could talk about that soundtrack all day.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go enjoy a nice Spam sandwich.

Moranzollamas Mar 7th, 2008 11:27 AM

A friend of mine still has his ticket stub from the day he saw it.

One of my alltime favorites. Some of the better shows on it were Celebrity Mud Wrestling and Bowling for Burgers with Chef Bernie.

Emu Mar 7th, 2008 12:15 PM

The only thing I really remember about this movie is the Conan sketch, because when they played it on Comedy Central they cut out the part with the kid being sliced in half, but they left the sound in so that it happened off screen. It actually made it a lot funnier.

StormDragon Mar 7th, 2008 02:15 PM

I must have seen this right when it hit theaters because I definitely saw it there. I remember it running with a trailer for Nightmare on Elm Street 5 (I think) that I was too scared to watch.

BakaGaijin Mar 7th, 2008 03:14 PM

I was a big Al fan as a kid and remember seeing this in the theater on opening day. I liked it, but thought it was missing more music. I would've given it 3 1/2 stars then and I'm sticking with that rating now.

rizzo Mar 7th, 2008 03:41 PM

Supplies!

whoareyou Mar 7th, 2008 03:46 PM

My MOP! MY MOP! You don't understand my dad gave me that mop!
My favorite line.

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 7th, 2008 08:23 PM

I saw some other movie where they referenced the "Supplies" gag but I don't remember what it was. Kind of how the "Rectum, damn near killed em" joke is.

Dungeonbrownies Mar 7th, 2008 11:08 PM

Supplies!
I love this film!
It waas well transitioned in piece to piece,
and the story in itself was ridiculous.
i wonder why,
he never made another one. =[

Nick Mar 8th, 2008 12:08 AM

It truly is a shame that this movie was pulled out of the theater. :(

JoeyJoJoJr Mar 8th, 2008 12:29 AM

I love when he puts the dog in the punch bowl and when he eats the twinkie hot dog.

MilesMayhem Mar 8th, 2008 08:23 AM

UHF is amazing, one of those movies i can watch over and over again and not get sick of, so many classic bits.

everyone should try a Twinkie wiener sandwich at least once in there lives.

Bavles Mar 9th, 2008 01:16 AM

I'm sorry Rog, i know you've already explained this, but to give that film anything less than five pickles is blashemy....

Finn Mar 9th, 2008 07:52 AM

Oh, man. One of my favorites for sure. That boulder scene is both gratuitous and awesome.

fiercealmond Mar 9th, 2008 11:58 AM

Haha, I started reading through the comments and was planning on posting "Supplies!" but I was beat. This movie is amazing. I've gotta pick this up on DVD and watch it again. I really miss Weird Al's old tv show, too.

Mockery Mar 9th, 2008 03:32 PM

Fiercealmond, damn straight! The Weird Al Show was shot down waaaay too early. Highly underrated at the time and I still say it has one of the best theme songs I've ever heard for a TV series. Speaking of it, I reviewed the Weird Al Show's Obligatory Holiday Episode a while back... be sure to check it out if you haven't already.

Girl Drink Drunk Mar 9th, 2008 10:21 PM

MYYYYYYYYY MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!

Also I miss the TV show too :(

Scorpio1976 Mar 10th, 2008 12:36 AM

Beverly.....

briny bill Jun 25th, 2008 02:05 PM

the other day i found it and it was the deluxe vershion with deleted secenes and aperntly wierd al thinks its crap

executioneer Jun 26th, 2008 12:27 AM

weird al thinks YOU'RE crap