I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I-Mockery Chat (Lube up those lips) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8799)

Fathom Zero Sep 30th, 2011 08:47 PM

As Irish as Danny Kaye.

Fathom Zero Sep 30th, 2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rongi (Post 744889)
uh if you're not feeling mentally sound i don't think alcohol is going to help you

If I go a day without suicidal ideations, then I'm not myself, unfortunately. It's not even depression at this point, so I'm going to drop this conversation. Everyone knows I'm a down fuck already, so no reason to say more.

I'M GETTING A ROLL OF REDSCALE FILM DEVELOPED TODAY. I HOPE THE IMAGES TURN OUT. ALSO BUYING A RAZOR AND GETTING A JOB AT A PIZZA JOINT.

WORKING AT A PIZZA JOINT WAS ONE OF MY LIFE GOALS, IF ANYONE WAS KEEPING SCORE. MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED.

Kitsa Sep 30th, 2011 09:00 PM

irishness aside, I objected to being called dirty.

You are a down fuck, FZ, but most creative people are.

Rongi Sep 30th, 2011 09:13 PM

I have been depressed like my entire life but only recently have I sort of gotten over it. Making yourself super busy and surrounded by people who are way more intelligent than you kind of distracts you from how much you hate yourself.

In my case, at least

Rongi Sep 30th, 2011 09:19 PM

man this thread is kind of a bummer right now

There we go

Pram Maven Sep 30th, 2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rongi (Post 744875)
hahaha pram maven is back guys, after like one day!

I was figuring out your SPAM problem and analyzing what caused it. Milhouse should have the answer now, unless he reverse-Rongi'd me. :suicide

Pram Maven Sep 30th, 2011 09:34 PM

later.

Rongi Sep 30th, 2011 09:39 PM

seriously guys, pram has left here like a bajillion times and said he was never coming back and he was going to kill himself and blah blah blah. shouldn't he be banned by now for such tomfoolery?

I know I've left here a bunch of times in a huff but keep in mind I was also like 15 years old. Pram is a grown ass man and this is kind of embarassing

Pram Maven Sep 30th, 2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prammaven (Post 744900)
I figured out your spam problem in terms of why it is happening and how you can stop it cold.

First, why it is happening: when you linked to my thread in your sigs, the resulting link juice was building up and interpreted as spam by... you guessed it, SPAMMERS!

They saw all those thousands of yummy backlinks from I-mockery to Google to mean that the I-mockery/forum was A) very popular, B) very trusted by Google, and C) very vulnerable to being spammed. In essence, they saw SERIOUS LINK JUICE to exploit, and when they discovered those links were influencing Google's SERPS, they started posting. They may even have piggybacked on the backlinks.

To fix this, all you need to do is:

1. Place a "no follow" attribute in the source code of the front page of the forum; and

2. Make threads and posts invisible to anyone not logged in. You could technically make the thread titles still visible, but spammers could still use the keywords to target I-mockery or its affiliate sites and outgoing links. As long as the "no follow" tag is on the forum but not on the site itself, it will still be easy for people to find both the site and the forum on Google.

In the meantime, disabling posts signatures to posters not logged in will stop *most* of the spam. Those other two things will stop it all the way. This is what I discovered we could do on another forum I was on and it really worked.

I realize this will interfere with your ability to Google bomb me from I-mockery, but you can't have it both ways. Either torment me through your sigs, or put up with the SPAM that you are unintentionally generating.

I did not encourage this situation, it just sort of happened concurrently with my exit. Consider it "The Pram Maven Curse". Anyway, all of the above info should keep your spammers at bay.

Good luck,

Don Carlson
PROBLEM SOLVER

Seriously... Do it.

Emu Sep 30th, 2011 09:42 PM

Welp

kahljorn Sep 30th, 2011 09:42 PM

how about a more advanced captcha instead

i don't want to lose all of our precious google links :(

Emu Sep 30th, 2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrashO (Post 744690)
wat

PS: see you tomorrow.

would give you a pickle, but

Pram Maven Sep 30th, 2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahljorn (Post 744907)

That won't work because a human can still join the site manually and automate their posts. It doesn't take much to set up a site. You have to hide the very reasons a spammer would want to advertise here, and that means killing the backlinks, which are a form of spam themselves (if only self-referential spam).

In summary, the Google links are what are encouraging the spammers in the first place.

Rongi Sep 30th, 2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahljorn (Post 744907)

i didn't even know spambot technology has evolved to the point where captchas are now kind of useless.

is it possible that there are a bunch of chinese/indian people filling out those captchas and writing those ads themselves?

Emu Sep 30th, 2011 09:48 PM

PROBLEM SOLVER

Pram Maven Sep 30th, 2011 09:51 PM

Also, just in case you think I said that to rescue my search results, I've moved on and don't post as "Pram Maven", "prammaven", or "Don Carlson" anymore. The only thing I have to gain in this is the good feeling that comes from helping someone who is struggling.

Pram Maven Sep 30th, 2011 09:53 PM

With that, I'm out. -|-

Emu Sep 30th, 2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pram Maven (Post 744913)
Also, just in case you think I said that to rescue my search results, I've moved on and don't post as "Pram Maven", "prammaven", or "Don Carlson" anymore. The only thing I have to gain in this is the good feeling that comes from helping someone who is struggling.

:confused:

Emu Sep 30th, 2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pram Maven (Post 744914)
With that, I'm out. -|-

Alright dude looking forward to tomorrow's post.

Colonel Flagg Sep 30th, 2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pram Maven (Post 744914)
With that, I'm out. -|-

Don't believe it for a second.

Funny thing is that if he just let it go and posted what he knew (which is not funny) he would probably not get targeted so much.

Just my opinion, thinking out loud. He probably won't read this anyway. :\

Sam Sep 30th, 2011 10:27 PM

I THOUGHT THIS SHIT WAS OVER?
I AM AN IGNORANT FUCK.

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 30th, 2011 11:03 PM

YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW.

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 30th, 2011 11:04 PM

TIME TO GET SHITFACED. NO BABY OR GIRLFRIEND.

Fathom Zero Sep 30th, 2011 11:07 PM

QUIDDITCH MUGGINGS

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 30th, 2011 11:23 PM

MUGDITCH QUIGINS

Fathom, did you get the Beta for BF3?