I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Science! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69702483)

Colonel Flagg Nov 1st, 2009 10:04 PM

That reminds me of the time I set myself on fire .... ah, the memories. :eek

Kitsa Nov 2nd, 2009 11:36 AM

yipes, how'd you manage that? Lab accident?

Tadao Nov 2nd, 2009 12:50 PM

Ah, hot water is hot. SCIENCE!

Colonel Flagg Nov 2nd, 2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 656390)
yipes, how'd you manage that? Lab accident?

Yep, plus a healthy dose of stupidity. 1st and 2nd degree burns, generally very minor. I'm a firm believer of the adage "that which does not kill me makes me stronger". I just wish sometimes I wouldn't try so damned hard. :\

I have plenty more stories where that came from, too. I'll save them for a rainy day. ;)

kgp4death Nov 2nd, 2009 09:37 PM

Back off man, I am a Scientist.

captain516 Nov 2nd, 2009 09:52 PM

Another quality kgpenis post!

Colonel Flagg Nov 2nd, 2009 11:08 PM

:ignore

kgp4death Nov 2nd, 2009 11:20 PM

what it is the best quote ever.

george Nov 3rd, 2009 12:19 AM

my sig is the best qoute ever. ever.

Colonel Flagg Nov 3rd, 2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgp4death (Post 656574)
what it is the best quote ever.

[ahem] It WAS the best quote ever. Now it sucks.

I :love George's sig.

Kitsa Nov 3rd, 2009 04:40 PM

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives...densed_gas.php

elx Nov 3rd, 2009 10:01 PM

harvest moon :)

Colonel Flagg Nov 4th, 2009 01:34 PM

The most interesting experiment I ever did was observing the critical point of CO2. Preparation was a nightmare, but the actual experiment was pretty cool. The liquid/gas meniscus kind of "fizzles out" at just above 31°C, then as you reduce the temperature it "fizzles back in".

The most dangerous chemical I've worked with was "aqua regia". Nasty.

Kitsa Nov 4th, 2009 02:03 PM

I'm pretty sure I got a whiff of pure hydrogen in one of my college chem classes and that was pretty nasty.

Fathom Zero Nov 4th, 2009 03:15 PM

SHE HAS CYSTS ON THE WALLS OF HER LUNGS. VERY RARE.

Colonel Flagg Nov 4th, 2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 656894)
I'm pretty sure I got a whiff of pure hydrogen in one of my college chem classes and that was pretty nasty.

I seriously doubt that. Pure hydrogen is odor-free. Impurities in the gas can result in a foul odor, and there are lots of possiblities here.

In grad school I got a whiff of perhaps less than a tenth of a cc of 5% Fluorine in Helium. I had the dry heaves for about a week. :x

Chojin Nov 4th, 2009 11:24 PM

I've been having some hip pain on the right side for the past few weeks. Here's the advice /fit/ gave me, in case anyone else is curious about the proper way to rehab an injured muscle:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rippletoe
Here is the tried-and-true injury rehab method for muscle-belly injuries we got from Starr and that has worked for years better than any other method I've ever used. It also works well on orthopeadic injuries in general, and should be tried before anything more elaborate is used. Wait 3-4 days until the pain starts to "blur",which indicates that the immediate process of healing has stopped the bleeding and has started to repair the tissue. Then use an exercise that directly works the injury, i.e. that makes it hurt, in this case the squat. Use the empty bar and do 3 sets of 25 with perfect form, allowing yourself NO favoring the injured side. If it's ready to rehab you will know by the pain: if the pain increases during the set, it's not ready, if it stays the same or feels a little better toward the end of the set, it is ready to work.

The NEXT DAY do it again, and add a small amount of weight, like 45 x 25 x 2 , 55 x 25. Next day, 45 x 25, 55 x 25, 65 x 25. Continue adding weight every day, increasing as much as you can tolerate each workout. It will hurt, and it's supposed to hurt, but you should be able to tell the difference between rehab pain and re-injury. If you can't, you will figure it out soon enough. This method works by flushing blood through the injury while forcing the tissue to reorganize in its normal pattern of contractile architecture.

After 10 days of 25s, go up in weight and down in reps to 15s, then to 10s, and finally to fives. During this time do NO OTHER HEAVY WORK, so that your resources can focus on the injury. You should be fixed in about 2 weeks, squatting more than you hurt yourself with.

This method has the advantage of preventing scar formation in the muscle belly, since the muscle is forced to heal in the context of work and normal contraction, using the movement pattern it normally uses. The important points are 1.) perfect form with 2.) light weights that can be handled for high reps, 3.) every day for two weeks, and 4.) no other heavy work that will interfere with the system-wide processes of healing the tear.

It is also very important through the whole process of healing the injury that ice be used, during the initial phase after the injury and after the workouts. Use it 20 on/20 off, many times a day at first and then tapering off to morning, after the workout, and before bed. Ice is your best friend in a muscle belly injury, holding down inflammation and fluid accumulation ("swelling") while at the same time increasing beneficial blood flow through the injury. But DO NOT USE ICE MORE THAN 20 MINUTES AT A TIME. More than that can cause more damage than it repairs.

Kitsa Nov 5th, 2009 05:21 AM

Col Flagg- I'm probably remembering it wrong. I don't remember a scent, I remember being too close and having sudden severe sinus pain like I'd just plummeted into a pool from a great height and snorted the water. Or like someone had jammed two steel hooks up my nostrils and dug in, perhaps.

Chojin- hope the hip does better. Hope it's not bursitis or something :(

Dimnos Nov 5th, 2009 11:33 AM

Found it interesting. Thought I would share.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...tomicrography/

Colonel Flagg Nov 5th, 2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 657042)
Col Flagg- I'm probably remembering it wrong. I don't remember a scent, I remember being too close and having sudden severe sinus pain like I'd just plummeted into a pool from a great height and snorted the water. Or like someone had jammed two steel hooks up my nostrils and dug in, perhaps.

Could be - It's possible that some reduction was taking place somewhere within your nasal cavity. Hydrogen will do this.

Not a subject I'd like to dwell upon, if it's all the same to you. :(

Shrubfest Nov 5th, 2009 12:05 PM

Sorry I'm late to jump on the bandwagon, but I have swine flu! Yay!

Dimnos Nov 5th, 2009 01:23 PM

Get some Tamaflu and some rest. You will be OK.

Tadao Nov 5th, 2009 01:25 PM

Or some aspirin and orange juice.

Colonel Flagg Nov 5th, 2009 02:08 PM

This was just posted in the online version of R&D Magazine - the space elevator idea was recently demonstrated in principle:

http://www.rdmag.com/News/2009/11/Ge...pb87iV1KLzfmuk

Pretty cool. :)

Shrubfest Nov 5th, 2009 02:28 PM

Got tamiflu, grapes, lucozade and alcohol gel. Fun times.