I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What are you playing right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697399)

Sam Dec 23rd, 2012 01:44 AM

FINAL FANTASY X-2 WAS THE LAST GOOD FINAL FANTASY GAME.

Phoenix Gamma Dec 23rd, 2012 02:01 AM

X-2 never happened. There was never a sequel to FFX starring a Jpop group featuring Yuna, Rikku, and She-Squall. There was also never a revival of the job system retrofitted into skimpy outfits. Tidus never comes back to life. It was all a fever dream. Shhhhhhh.

Guitar Woman Dec 23rd, 2012 02:22 AM

Quote:

Plus, it's not like JRPGs really offer much deviance from the main story; open worlds are really just illusions of freedom with one or two side dungeons for loot.
Yeah, but they at least try to make it interesting linearity. Which would you rather have in a story dungeon, a massive phallic skyscraper building full of incompetent employees, horrifying experimental abominations and evil executives, or a fucking 5-mile highway through some glowing forest? In older FFs there's puzzles to solve, actual levels that you have to consciously navigate, sidequests that aren't just "go here and kill this thing," etc. I think 13 had exactly one puzzle, and the solution was to turn around and go back the way you came.

I went out of my way to unlock Chocobos and the Titan boss-rush arena just to add some variety to how fucking empty and monotonous Pulse is, and I did both of these things by grabbing the next statue's tit then going and killing the thing it told me to for about 4 hours. Granted, Chocobos in this game are awesomely useful... because they let you move to the next thing you need to kill twice as fast.

I mean, fuck, we've gone from the second half of FF6 to "here, run down this hallway and kill things. Now there is a big open field, but all you can do is run around and kill things. We only included this part so we could say the game 'opens up after a while.'"

I was willing to forgive all of that and an abomination of a plot because 13 actually had great, challenging, strategic combat, but now that the ideal way to kill the final boss seems to be "slap on the 30% death resistance amulet and sacrifice a virgin to the RNG," I guess rewarding strategy and skill are out the window as well. What you're supposed to do with enemies that use insta-kills is have a Sentinel draw their fire away from the party leader, but Orphan can't be provoked, so a class with a niche use at best before is now completely pointless.

You mean nothing to me now.

Fathom Zero Dec 23rd, 2012 02:35 AM



yussssssssssssssssss

Phoenix Gamma Dec 23rd, 2012 02:45 AM

I...don't remember putting on an amulet? I just remember using buffs and debuffs.

In any case, I think Final Fantasy as a whole is a pretty poor example of role playing games, and I have no idea why people get so worked up over them. It's no use throwing hissy fits over a franchise that had maybe two or three decent entries before going full retard. Getting mad at Square for making meh RPGs that cater to their mindless fanbase is like getting mad at Call of Duty for making meh FPSs that cater to a mindless fanbase. There are better games out there and you don't have to play the popular franchise just because it's popular.

Really, once I started digging into stuff like SMT, FF games just feel like they're made for children...which they are...

Also? Why are Final Fantasy games called Role Playing Games? You don't make any decisions; you just watch the characters make the decisions themselves.

Guitar Woman Dec 23rd, 2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

you don't have to play the popular franchise just because it's popular.
Final Fantasy was a staple of my childhood and I count 6 and especially 7 among my favorite games of all time, so I guess I just want them to be that good again. I know they won't, but what really pisses me off is that they genuinely could if idiots weren't in charge of them. FF13 is one long string of offensively wasted potential, and that's depressing.

I also really want to rag on the ending. If I understood right, the bad guy basically wants the party to go and kill Orphan, the fal'Cie that keeps Cocoon powered and floating in the sky and shit. His plan seems to be that if enough people die, the original god of the world will come back and everything will be super peachy again. The party's like "yeah no, fuck that, we're not slaughtering millions of people just so you can have your imaginary friend come back and hang out with you, eat a dick." Then they go to Pulse and try to find a way to not be l'Cie anymore so they don't have to choose between mass murder and being horrible crystal zombies. There isn't a way, of course, and I guess they decide to go back to Cocoon and kill Barthandelus because he's a cunt and if they're all going to face a fate worse than death, they might as well at least kill the guy who's responsible for it. Then they get to his secret volcano lair, and Orphan is there, and they just sort of... attack it. They do the one thing they specifically set out to not do, and nobody fucking comments on it. What the fuck?

That's even stupider than "hey, the way we're gonna kill Ultimecia is, get this, let her put her evil reality-ending plan into motion then just sort of jump out and bushwhack her while she's preoccupied."

Then I guess they get saved by the power of friendship or some bullshit? Whatever the hell happened in the ending cinematic wasn't foreshadowed or referenced beforehand, they could have just literally had a wizard come and make everything ok and it would've had the same relevance.

Man, fuck this game.

Phoenix Gamma Dec 23rd, 2012 05:00 AM

Well, the Fal'Cie are these mechanical things beyond human comprehension, so what I took away from it was that they were literal gods, and when they make you a l'Cie, you're supposed to follow through with your mission, and when you do, things will work out in the end, because God(s) work in mysterious ways.

Again, the whole story is reeeeeally just an excuse to show you neat graphics. Square's games really don't hold up well against scrutiny, so you really need to properly adjust your expectations and take their games at face value.

kahljorn Dec 23rd, 2012 08:31 AM

i returned ff13 and got reddead redemption :)
had about a thousand hours of fun with that

so i gues ff13isnteven worth getting now that its probably ten dollarseither, huh?

Dimnos Dec 23rd, 2012 12:31 PM

Smt :lol

Fathom Zero Dec 23rd, 2012 02:17 PM

Melding demons is perplexingly less bullshit than anything in Final Fantasy.

Nick Dec 23rd, 2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 764744)
FINAL FANTASY X-2 WAS THE LAST GOOD FINAL FANTASY GAME.

I picked up Final Fantasy XIII-2 last week on sale.

Dimnos Dec 23rd, 2012 07:38 PM

I'm sorry.

Dr. Boogie Dec 23rd, 2012 10:36 PM

What about FFXIV? I remember being totally surprised when I learned a couple weeks ago that the game was already out. Is anyone playing that?

Sam Dec 23rd, 2012 11:06 PM

FINAL FANTASY X-2

Phoenix Gamma Dec 23rd, 2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie (Post 764768)
What about FFXIV? I remember being totally surprised when I learned a couple weeks ago that the game was already out. Is anyone playing that?

Uh...it came out maybe a year ago, and it was the worst thing ever. Now it's kinda sorta in the process of relaunching and basically all of the old staff was fired and replaced with new staff. It looks better, but FFXIV 1.0 was so awful that a lot of good will was spoiled.

Nick Dec 24th, 2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie (Post 764768)
What about FFXIV? I remember being totally surprised when I learned a couple weeks ago that the game was already out. Is anyone playing that?

Oh man, you need to Wikipedia that shit. It was an MMO like FFXI, right, but it was completely broken. There's a reason they've only done FFXIII sequels. Square-Enix has even said that FFXIV has completely ruined the Final Fantasy brand name. It's also why they won't do a remake of FF7. They said if they did that now it'd just put the final nail in the coffin and they they wouldn't do it until they could make a modern Final Fantasy game that could live up to the brand name.

Then they put out FF13-3.

Yay....

Phoenix Gamma Dec 24th, 2012 01:08 AM

FFXVI was free for a time because the game was so bad that the developers didn't want to charge a subscription until it was fixed. Then a year went by and it still wasn't fixed. I'm pretty sure the beta of 2.0 has been out for awhile, but it's been a real painful process.

kahljorn Dec 24th, 2012 01:11 AM

what was so bad about it

OxBlood Dec 24th, 2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahljorn (Post 764774)
what was so bad about it


FF14? Everything, as far as I can recall. It was riddled with bugs, potentially gamebreaking, the systems were not designed well, it was slow as fuck, uninspired, rushed...and...yeah, about the worst MMO-Release in the last ten years or something like that, according to the press and the reviewers.

King Hadas Dec 24th, 2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 764771)
It's also why they won't do a remake of FF7.

An FF7 remake would suck. I guess people want the graphics redone like Advent Children. Is that a good thing? Do you really want a modern Squarenix style makeover? And do you think they'll leave it at that? Of course they'll find other things to "fix".

Final Fantasy 13 is a bad game, but I thought the relationships between the main characters were interesting. I never finished the game because the difficulty curve shot to the fucking moon but I did watch the ending on Youtube; awful. I've noticed in a lot of Japanese media they'll drop whatever interesting characterization they were working on up to that point for an overly serious big boss to test our heroes for boring faux tension. It's as if someone is offstage yelling "wrap it up, wrap it up."

kahljorn Dec 25th, 2012 01:42 AM

NOW THE FINAL BNOS BATTLE MEtATRON

i lost interest in ff 13 when that dude started riding a motorcycle. that was literally the point that i decided to return it

ffvii isa good game cuz the story isnt too gay, the levelup system isnt too bad and it has awesome sidequests and summons and shit.aslong asthey could upgrade the graphics and make the gameplay a little better i dont see how they could go wrong. maybe they could even throw in a revive aeris thingi
lol j/k people dont know how to not fuck up videogames anymore. itd prolly just end up being a game about reviving aeris

Phoenix Gamma Dec 25th, 2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahljorn (Post 764774)
what was so bad about it

I only played the "beta" (which was released 2 weeks before the game launched. It wasn't changed when it officially started) and the interface was the most abysmal piece of UI ever created, it lacked common features that MMOs have had for years (auction house, in particular), the setting was incredibly bland even for an MMO, and nearly every single action you could possibly take had some weird kind of condition to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Hadas (Post 764783)
An FF7 remake would suck. I guess people want the graphics redone like Advent Children. Is that a good thing? Do you really want a modern Squarenix style makeover? And do you think they'll leave it at that? Of course they'll find other things to "fix".

Well the main problem is that FF7 still had a lot of weird humor and pantomiming left over from the SNES era. You'd need to change the whole tone of a lot of scenes.

Quote:

ffvii isa good game cuz the story isnt too gay,
Emo McJackass walks around a Not-Blade-Runner futuristic city and give everyone an attitude, then falls in love with a flower girl who's the last of some ancient race, then the flower girl dies and Baby PoutsAlot goes catatonic because he realized everything he ever told everyone was actually copypasted from someone else's biography. Then he kills some guy in a battle of impossible swords and goes home to hang out with a talking tiger and a robot cat.

But seriously, FF7 is just FF6 except the graphics aged like milk and the gameplay is way slower. Even the "magic abused through technology" thing was done better in FF6. After playing FF6 and Chrono Trigger on the SNES, FF7 just felt regressive as fuck.

Nick Dec 25th, 2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Hadas (Post 764783)
An FF7 remake would suck. I guess people want the graphics redone like Advent Children. Is that a good thing? Do you really want a modern Squarenix style makeover? And do you think they'll leave it at that? Of course they'll find other things to "fix".

Final Fantasy 13 is a bad game, but I thought the relationships between the main characters were interesting. I never finished the game because the difficulty curve shot to the fucking moon but I did watch the ending on Youtube; awful. I've noticed in a lot of Japanese media they'll drop whatever interesting characterization they were working on up to that point for an overly serious big boss to test our heroes for boring faux tension. It's as if someone is offstage yelling "wrap it up, wrap it up."

Well if you ever saw the tech demo they made when the PS3 came out they kept everything looking t6he same as FF7's concept art, character wise and kept the same city layouts.

FF7, myself included, only want a remake in terms of the same game, just with modern graphics.

kahljorn Dec 25th, 2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Emo McJackass walks around a Not-Blade-Runner futuristic city and give everyone an attitude, then falls in love with a flower girl who's the last of some ancient race, then the flower girl dies and Baby PoutsAlot goes catatonic because he realized everything he ever told everyone was actually copypasted from someone else's biography. Then he kills some guy in a battle of impossible swords and goes home to hang out with a talking tiger and a robot cat.
he wasn't even emomcjackass until he started being schizophrenic. before that he was pretendmcbadass one level higher than everyone else but had a cool materia. do u even watch good movies?
that's like an amazing storyline. you're introduced to a character as some badassand probably even believe it for a while unless you're a little kid who was told the story before you even played it and read gay memes and reviews on the internet or something, then halfway through he turns into some schizophrenic who stole his life from somebody else.
thats fuckin deep.

also why do you say non bladerunner esque. what does that even mean? there was no robots? the worldwasnt decimatedenough by technology?
dude was a dude who thought he was another dude because of science. thats bladerunneresque as hell.

Fathom Zero Dec 26th, 2012 03:34 AM

Steam is basically handing out free Wallet money, so I bought a bunch of gaaaaaaames:

COD 4
The Bard's Tale (it includes the previous games, as well)
Sine Mora
and
Soon to be the Dead Rising 2 complete pack.

I never got to play Off the Record as it always looked cool, but not cool enough to pay for.

For friends, I bought:

Dungeons of Dredmor Complete
Critter Crunch
Country English Tune
Mirror's Edge
Psychonauts
and
Arkham City GOTY Edition

All while starting from $0.00. Please jackhammer this smile off of my face - it's starting to hurt.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.