I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I might have found something? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69699541)

Sethomas Apr 16th, 2008 09:46 AM

I might have found something?

Not only to you guys, but I'm so pretentious to myself that sometimes I read Wikinews in foreign languages lying to myself that it's all about getting a better picture on the globe of today and to see if major world stories fall through the cracks.

Today, I noticed something interesting in French.

Brazil Finds Shit Ton of Oil, or So the French Want Us to Think

What that says is that Brazil formally declared as of today that an oil reserve they analyzed has roughly 33 billion barrels of petroleum. In rough terms, that's somewhere around 1.4 metric fuckloads.

Having read Adam Smith's book, from which something else that happened in 1776 stole thunder, I would think that this would be great news. CNN should talk about it! MSNBC should talk about it!

Well, they don't. MSNBC alluded to it by merely calling the company spokesman a prick for flagrantly lying about the size of the reserves as a way of swaying the market. Basically, they said "This dicklicker Lima made outrageous claims about oil being found in Brazil, thus swaying the market. Since we know he's lying this makes him a total douchebag."

Now, unlike the wiki article (last I checked) the article it took its information from in Le Monde actually does voice concern that the 33 billion barrel mark may be misleading, but it does so in the voice of the company saying "it's deep water, so we should do more precise measurements before allowing you to take this guy's claims seriously." It goes on later to say that if this measurement is in the mere neighborhood of being accurate, it would double Brazil's petroleum exports.

Hey, mates: What the fuck? MSNBC can just say, "hey, we're so much better than Le Monde that we can reference our being right because we're right and ignore every rammification of us being wrong, because we're not wrong"?

Grislygus Apr 16th, 2008 01:31 PM

Our major news outlets are a joke >:

Dread Naught Apr 16th, 2008 08:56 PM

Should you be surprised? They are nothing more than government controlled propaganda machines. They tell you what they think you should hear, rather than actually telling you the whole story.

Tadao Apr 16th, 2008 08:56 PM

No one asked you.

Grislygus Apr 17th, 2008 01:22 PM

Government controlled, huh? Somebody didn't read Fahrenheit 411

StalfrosGR Apr 17th, 2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 549969)

Fahrenheit 451?

Sethomas Apr 17th, 2008 02:23 PM

It's a hybrid film where you take the shitty English film adaptation of Bradburry's work and splice it with scenes from Michael Moore's documentary that reveals that if you watch planes hitting the WTC enough, you will start to feel less human.

I read 451° F in my one day of middle school detention, which they called TOR. I was all like, "you mean like Glastonbury? AWESOME" because I was an Arthurian Cycle fag at the time. When I watched the film version, even at that tender young age I found it hilarious that they lacked the budget to burn any of the houses and just amended to carry the books out of the house and burn them in the street.

Pub Lover Apr 17th, 2008 03:26 PM

I found them taking to books into the street more dehumanising than merely burning it all down. I liked the film for that.

mburbank Apr 17th, 2008 04:27 PM

Seth, OMG, you are the only other Arthurian cycle fag I have ever met. When I was in middle school, I read every version of the Arthurian I could get my greasy adolescent mitts on. When all my Catholic friends got a second middle name at confirmation I decided even though I was a Jew I needed one too and chose Ambrosius. HOW COMPLETELY GHEY WAS THAT?!?

Sethomas Apr 17th, 2008 07:00 PM

Wow, it took me a second to make the Aurelius Ambrosius connection. Abrosius (Mediolanensium Episcopi) was the mentor of Aurelius Augustinus Hipponensis, from whom I took my confirmandi name.

It's destiny, and likewise when Max writes an article I hear angels telling me, "tolle lege, tolle lege!"

I actually did make a thread about Le Morte Darthur in the reading thread recently.

Fathom Zero Apr 17th, 2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 549969)

Oh if you're serious, that is indeed priceless.

executioneer Apr 18th, 2008 12:33 AM

the truth behind the information line conspiracy

Geggy Apr 18th, 2008 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dread Naught (Post 549813)
Should you be surprised? They are nothing more than government controlled propaganda machines. They tell you what they think you should hear, rather than actually telling you the whole story.

the more you know

El Blanco Apr 21st, 2008 11:42 AM

And yet you cite the New York Times and other major media outlets when you think they suit your needs.

Sethomas Apr 22nd, 2008 10:54 PM

To whom was that directed, Blanco?

Pub Lover Apr 22nd, 2008 11:04 PM

He's talking to Geggy, they have a whole conspiracy orgasm contest in another thread about it.

Sethomas Apr 23rd, 2008 12:54 AM

Okay, I searched for this story a long while last week and couldn't find it on MSNBC. I have now found it in an article dated to the 14th. Also, the article I mentioned of theirs that denounces the whole thing as a fraud has redacted that statement without making note of it.

Weird.