I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Art Chat (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69698552)

Chojin Dec 29th, 2007 09:40 PM

Art Chat

I really didn't want to make a thread for this.

So I did, but I didn't, you feel me, playa?

Anyway I'm using a wacom now, but when I'm doing pixel art in Photoshop, if I touch the pen down somewhere, it'll mark it as me having done something in the history, but nothing will actually show up. But a pixel WILL show up if I put the pen down next to the pixel I actually want and drag it over there.

For example, pretend that the number pad is a square of 9 pixels:

If I want 5 to be black, I can't just click 5. I have to click on, say, 6, and then drag over to 5. And when I do that, 6 doesn't change color.

It's just annoying, does anyone know a fix?

Tadao Dec 29th, 2007 09:48 PM

I think Art Chat could be a good idea. Some things just don't need a whole thread dedicaded to it.

executioneer Dec 29th, 2007 09:58 PM

maybe all the forums should have a stickied chat-style thread! it could work!

MLE Dec 29th, 2007 10:25 PM

Yes, I agree, but I don't know the answer to his question ;< does anyone know so far?

ZAKO the GREAT Dec 30th, 2007 08:57 PM

i guess it might be something to do with the tool you're choosing. like, when you choose paint brush, even with 100% opacity, hardness & flow and 1px, even a single click, what i get it's a 4 pixel instead of 1.
00 = 1px

and i choose pencil tool with the same settings (no hardness), what i got it's a solid, 1 pixel block.

0 = 1px

i dunno, since i don't have my wacom with me now, what i guess it's either the tools you chose, or the pressure of your wacom pen when you use it as it'll determine the color it to get the real "pencil on paper" kind of feeling unlike mouse.
hope it helps!

Chojin Dec 30th, 2007 09:51 PM

I dunno, I tried pushing REALLY HARD in one spot to get a point to show up, but just pushing lightly and dragging makes points show up everywhere else.

zeldasbiggestfan Dec 30th, 2007 10:16 PM

Is your hand resting on the pad of it? That can make different points when your on it too. I'm probably wrong but you might be doing it and not realizing it.

ZAKO the GREAT Dec 30th, 2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeldasbiggestfan (Post 517151)
Is your hand resting on the pad of it? That can make different points when your on it too. I'm probably wrong but you might be doing it and not realizing it.

protip:
hands on the pad will NEVER make any point.:\

Fathom Zero Dec 30th, 2007 10:28 PM

Unless it's a hyper-expensive multi-touch pad. Oy.

And by multi-touch I'm referring to the Dell Latitude and the like. >:

Chojin Dec 30th, 2007 10:38 PM

No, fathom, because only the wacom pen tip will react to the wacom surface.

MLE Dec 30th, 2007 11:23 PM

I'm pretty certain that ZAKO, Eric (and I) know more about Wacom tablets than zeldasbiggestfan and fathom zero. Being that we're artists. And own them.

Fathom Zero Dec 31st, 2007 12:17 AM

I forgot it was all wacom. And I guarantee you that I AT LEAST know as much as digitizers as you. I've owned about five (tablets, that is). Broke some of them, but I've used 'em. If you tried doing it on a touchscreen, you'd get vectoring issues.

I want me one of those Cintiq ones. Y'know, the ones with the screens embedded into the absolutely gigantic drawing surface. I'd settle for the 12WX model, though.

MLE Dec 31st, 2007 12:22 AM

I can't draw on Cintiqs. It's just not right for some reason. If I can see what I'm drawing, I'd rather draw on paper, just personal preference.

ZAKO the GREAT Dec 31st, 2007 12:23 AM

my tablet is rather small, but i'm happy with it!

Fathom Zero Dec 31st, 2007 12:25 AM

I like to have my hand leading on top of what is being drawn. It's one of those personal preference things, I guess.

MLE Dec 31st, 2007 12:25 AM

I have a bamboo wacom, and it's surprisingly nice. It's about 4x6ish (i'm not gonna bother taking measurements) active working space, and it's widescreen. For under $100 and right when my intuos2 broke, it was a good deal!

Fathom Zero Dec 31st, 2007 12:29 AM

I've really been thinking about the Bamboo. Does it feel cheap? Would it break if I just tossed it in a bag full of stuff?

MLE Dec 31st, 2007 12:32 AM

No, especially since they made the cord dicsonnectable.

Eric and I both have them, since I bought him one for christmas, and he agrees that it doesn't feel cheap. I love the pen stand, and the mouse feels more sturdy than my Intuos2 mouse (which broke both times I owned an Intuos2. You may not feel the same way about the mouse, since it's light, but I like it much better.

Just a cute side note: the eraser tip sounds like and feels like an eraser when you use it. I fell in love with that.

PS - there are buttons on the top that you don't need the pen to hit them now. Zoom/Scroll wheel, a page back and page forward buttons, and two softkeys. I set mine to notepad and calculator.

Fathom Zero Dec 31st, 2007 12:38 AM

:hypno The eraser sounds cool.

I can't decide if I should get this before or after another... tablet PC. Hahaha, they're piling up on me. I'm thinking a Fujitsu Stylistic. Screw the keyboard.

At the prices of them, though, especially with the Stylistic being used, I could get both.

ZAKO the GREAT Jan 2nd, 2008 04:47 AM

i really need to get back to the "pencil & paper" type of work... too much mouse & comp work sometimes makes me forget the real pleasure of drawing :(

MLE Jan 2nd, 2008 12:00 PM

I agree. I have a drawing of a naked comic book loving girl on paper somewhere. I loved drawing her.

bigtimecow Jan 2nd, 2008 12:00 PM

i'm also having problems with my wacom tablet:

when i plug it into my laptop it works fine with the mouse, but when i use the pen's left and right click buttons on the side of it or tap it down. they all register as right-clicks.

!?!?!?!?!?!

MLE Jan 2nd, 2008 12:15 PM

First of all, what type of wacom do you have? Graphire, Intuos, Bamboo? It should all be the same really, but go into your pen tablet settings, and you check to make sure that the buttons are set properly.

If it is an intuos or something similar enough, you might have two tabbable buttons on the top or something that say PEN and MOUSE. It's possible you tapped MOUSE with your wacom pen, and made it so your tablet thinks you want to use the pen as a mouse. The first time I accidentally did that, i freaked the fuck out.

Fathom Zero Jan 2nd, 2008 08:54 PM

I really like Ralph Steadman's work.

ZAKO the GREAT Jan 2nd, 2008 09:22 PM

free strokes at it's best.
but i think his writing style is somewhat similar to Futura's (yes, i do mean the artist, not the typeface.)