I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics 'n Books (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   WHAT are you reading right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2594)

Sethomas Sep 9th, 2003 10:30 AM

I'm currently writing up a thesis of my theory, so most of my reading is reference.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
The Elegant Universe- Brian Greene, pouring through it a second time.
The Confessions of St. Augustine
The City of God Against the Pagans - St. Augustine
Selected Philosophical Writings - St. Thomas Aquinas

I ordered off of Amazon a while ago:
The Illusion of Conscious Will
The Problem of the Soul
The Complete Works of Shakespeare
... Gotta get some leisure in there somewhere.

kellychaos Sep 9th, 2003 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AChimp
Conan - Volume 2 by Robert E. Howard.

I get a boner from it.

I get a boner from some of the dust jackets.

Sergeant_Tibbs Nov 3rd, 2003 11:22 AM

"Shogun" by James Clavell (someone else said this)
and "Flatland" by Edwin A. Abbott. I recommend this if you’re into nerdy dimensional stuff.

Rongi Nov 3rd, 2003 02:57 PM

Preacher Vol5 Dixie Fried

this is the worst one so far :(

Ooner Nov 4th, 2003 12:23 PM

Naked by David Sedaris

irapas1 Nov 4th, 2003 04:28 PM

Entertaining, capturing, inspiring soul teaser

Piddler on the Hoof by SI Fishgal - history through the potent fiction, entertaining, capturing, inspiring.
The derisive living truth and death emotionally awake a Jewish preschooler in the Red Army's Rearguard during the WW2.
"Damn good soul teaser," wrote Barnes & Noble's reviewer. "No fruitless illusions, impractical fantasies and daydreamers. It's life, death, humor and true emotions. Coolest book on hottest topics, rich, vivid, fascinating, stimulating and gripping novel."
http://piddler-on-the-hoof.8m.com/

kellychaos Nov 5th, 2003 04:29 PM

Would you,
Could You,
Spam I am?

PonchtheJedi Nov 7th, 2003 05:36 PM

Hhmm

Well, you guys read alot deeper material than I do.

I'm reading The Dark Tower V : Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King.

LacrimansTaurne Nov 8th, 2003 02:34 AM

Mary Roach's Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers

It's a non-fiction work about all the stuff that can happen to a cadaver. It manages to be respectful and humorous, which is surprising considering the subject matter. One of the best things I've read in a while.

kellychaos Nov 8th, 2003 02:00 PM

I saw a discovery channel documentary about the history of using cadavers for medical study. In England, it seems there was a shortage of cadavers and two gentlemen (I don't recall their names) actually went out and "made" cadavers for a local medical professor. First, they started out with local homeless guys and then progresses to whomever was available and eventually got caught.

Dole Nov 10th, 2003 05:47 AM

They were called Burke & Hare. British entrepreneurial spirit at its best.

Freaky Sheek Nov 12th, 2003 12:29 AM

I finished Battle Royale a while back

I am currently reading Catch -22 (someone else said this)

Perndog Nov 12th, 2003 04:50 AM

Now I'm in the middle of both Satan Speaks and the Devil's Notebook by Anton LaVey. They're both pretty short, but I don't have time to sit down and read these days. :(

kellychaos Nov 12th, 2003 03:25 PM

Ahh, nothing like a warm fire with a nice hot, herbal tea whilst curling up with Lucifer. :love

Rongi Nov 12th, 2003 08:35 PM

I just read War In The Sun, which can wipes it's ass with Dixie Fried ten times over.

Blue Nov 13th, 2003 04:57 AM

All the drenai novels by david gemmel. Im through a fair few of them. The waylander series is the best i think.

ItalianStereotype Nov 20th, 2003 03:38 AM

I read those a while back. Besides Druss, there isn't enough keeping those books alive.

kellychaos Nov 22nd, 2003 04:28 PM

The reconciliation between science and religion, especially during the Rennaisance Period, has always intrigued me. This is a pretty fast-paced, in-depth and compelling read for those that are interested in the chronology of the earth and how it was arrived at from both the scientific and theological perspectives (see review below):

Measuring Eternity: The Search for the Beginning of Time

by Martin Gorst (Broadway Books, 2001) 338 pages

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reviewed by Paul Halpern

In 1675, London bookseller Thomas Guy sought a way to market Bibles to the largest possible audience. Under contract from the University of Oxford, he designed a new edition that—in addition to eye-catching illustrations—included a timeline of biblical events developed decades earlier by Irish archbishop James Ussher. Through meticulous research of the nuances of who begat whom and when, Ussher had determined that the world began at six o’clock in the evening on Saturday, October 22, 4004 B.C.E. Guy’s Bibles flew off the stands, and Ussher’s chronology, including his date for Creation, became so widely accepted that authorized Church of England publications reported it for centuries.

The tale of Ussher sets the scene for British science writer Martin Gorst’s fast-paced and witty account of the pursuit of the age of the world. Gorst, who has a knack for capturing the strengths and stumbling blocks of the key players of every era, chronicles centuries of debates among geologists, biologists, astronomers, and theologians concerning the way the Earth has developed. He shows respect for each competing theory, ultimately showing how science has progressed through clashes of once seemingly reasonable approaches.

The last part of Measuring Eternity concerns the search for the age of the universe, far too important a topic to describe in just a few chapters. Pity that Gorst didn’t develop it as a volume in its own right. As it stands, the book provides a far-too-brief history of modern cosmology appended to a marvelous account of how we learned about the venerable age of our planetary home.

bigtimecow Feb 7th, 2004 11:24 AM

God Bles You, Mr Rosewater (or pearls before swine) by Kurt Vonnegut

liquidstatik Feb 7th, 2004 11:34 AM

The Xenocide Mission

- My parents got it. It's pretty good so far.

theapportioner Feb 15th, 2004 01:05 AM

Pattern Recognition, William Gibson

Ooner Feb 15th, 2004 07:02 PM

Just finished: Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris

and Dream Boy - Jim Grimsley

Now reading: Going Down - Jennifer Belle

Next on the list: The Fuck Up - Arthur Nersesian

Big McLargehuge Feb 15th, 2004 11:33 PM

Dandelion Wine- Ray Bradbury :love

Mr. Vagiclean Feb 16th, 2004 06:26 PM

Catch-22, reminds me of Mr. Burbank's humor style :)

Drew Katsikas Feb 18th, 2004 11:02 PM

Waiting for Godot

As I lay Dying