I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Art Chat (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69698552)

Tadao Feb 22nd, 2008 09:09 PM

The only blank shirts I have are very dark :(

ZAKO the GREAT Feb 22nd, 2008 09:27 PM

no worries,

this is one of the pic i did. there'll be stuffs that will fit in a dark tee. so it's ok.

Tadao Feb 22nd, 2008 09:55 PM

Ok, I'll throw some your way Sunday if it's not to late. I have to bail over the weekend.

Misdemonar Mar 5th, 2008 11:48 PM

Does anyone want to see my crappy art done witha touchpad? :(

http://robotmars.ytmnd.com/

mew barios Mar 11th, 2008 06:30 PM

this board dries up pretty quick without constant supervision :/

Chojin Mar 11th, 2008 06:36 PM

mle will be getting back shortly

OR ELSE SHE MIGHT LOSE MOD POWERS

Tadao Mar 11th, 2008 06:42 PM

We could start photoshopping cliches and force her back.

liquidstatik Mar 11th, 2008 11:08 PM

i really want to go to college to be an animator, but i'm pretty hesitant. [wasting money, debt, FAILING, etc]. someone give me some good news on the subject!

Grislygus Mar 12th, 2008 02:14 PM

Still waiting for new events. And for the exquisite corpse to finish <3 :gay

Pub Lover Mar 23rd, 2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLE (Post 541445)
Pub <3 thanks for the support! You should draw something too, you know <3

I know. Sorry. :(

bigtimecow Mar 24th, 2008 09:39 PM

hey art fags :hat

Grislygus Mar 31st, 2008 02:21 PM

Hay guise, fix this for me

I was just doodling out of boredom, but it's actually looking kinda neat so far so I wanna fix the halfassed lighting but it's really not my thing

Where can I ADD dark to fix all this here business?

Colonel Flagg May 13th, 2008 09:44 AM

Thanks, Gris, for the new avatar. :rock

Misdemonar May 14th, 2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquidstatik (Post 537798)
i really want to go to college to be an animator, but i'm pretty hesitant. [wasting money, debt, FAILING, etc]. someone give me some good news on the subject!

me too :( don bluth is my animator hero

Rez May 14th, 2008 11:59 PM

just before i graduate with this newfangled design degree from ucdavis i'm diving into the weird word of video and seeing if i can edit and animate on top of a 7 minute video i did that will be about design and social theory. just because. i'll know if i win or not by the end of the month :)

sloth May 16th, 2008 05:03 AM

any chance of putting it up when youre done rez? id like to see it.

MLE May 16th, 2008 05:15 AM

I'd like to see anything Rez has done <3 He needs to post more

Rez May 16th, 2008 07:18 AM

i hope it's good enough to post. the last thing i did was a 90 second intro for a feminist film festival that actually got used both days, so they loved it but it felt too... PBS or something for me. like it was really obvious that this was my first quarter with aftereffects. so that's not getting youtube'd.
my goal, then, is to make something i feel good enough about to just toss out there for anyone to see

apparently this painstaking work of stubborn aesthetics isnt enough to net me the 2 credits i wanted, so i guess i'll also be participating in that NIN 'ghosts' video competition thing

this is so up in the air it's unreal, it is the definition of writing checks that i have no idea if they can be cashed. i sense either wild success, crushing mediocrity, or despondent failure.

either way i'll do my best to keep posting around here.

oh, side note: my design history class asked us to make ex libris bookplates based on what we've learned in class, from any point in time.

so i did this and now you know my full name:

suprematism ftw

Tadao May 16th, 2008 02:20 PM

Please don't say ftw ever again so that we can remain on friendly terms.

Rez May 16th, 2008 02:25 PM

why would i be motivated to do that

shitcan that attitude boy, it's not like you have a reason

Tadao May 16th, 2008 02:30 PM

Ok, I'll just file you under GW.

Grislygus May 16th, 2008 02:31 PM

Bad judgment, that

Tadao May 16th, 2008 02:35 PM

Your right Gus, as always. I guess it took Rez for me to change my ways and realize how cool the term FTW is. I shall use it whenever I can.

BTW you pictures are beautiful.

Rez May 16th, 2008 02:37 PM

i missed out on all that drama anyway.
if internet acronyms get your dander up like some crappy english major then i'm not going to really regret that 'filing'

Tadao May 16th, 2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rez (Post 556119)
i missed out on all that drama anyway.
if internet acronyms get your dander up like some crappy english major then i'm not going to really regret that 'filing'

FTW!!!1111!

MLE May 17th, 2008 09:43 PM

Tadao, this one's okay, really. He's really just an artist that doesn't use the internet much, but is, in all actuality, one of the coolest cats around.

executioneer May 17th, 2008 09:48 PM

more like one of the coolest jerks around

MLE May 17th, 2008 09:52 PM

I'll agree to disagree :posh

Rez May 17th, 2008 11:10 PM

i use the internet just as much as anyone here (probably more), it's just that specific kind of forum posting (tactfully choosing words to make people take you seriously even if your idea still sucks) has gotten old when you can just be forthright and post as yourself.
i understand, i guess, how some acronyms are supposed to be offensive as being the verbal shortcut of 13 yr old boys everywhere, i just dont give any respect to it because it implies this idea of being above it. suprematism could be described in a lot of nice words i have lots of art history books for, or it could just be described as 'fukken saved' because it's actually awesome outside of college

also, the art world online is full of defensive, exhausting, and overly serious deviant-tarts that i like to be polite and blunt for a change. this dudes talking like we wont be friends if i say the wrong thing. i dont need that nonsense.

but thanks MLE, i remember the things you posted before i stopped posting here regularly and it's nice to feel like i've developed since then :)

and just because this is art chat and not "rez' history with the internet and his overwrought rationalizations on why he posts like that", here's a pic i did recently that was just a typographic brainstorm

Tadao May 18th, 2008 12:39 AM

"this dudes talking like we wont be friends if i say the wrong thing."

:lol

Tadao May 18th, 2008 12:48 AM

I mean ROTFLMAO

sloth May 18th, 2008 06:44 AM

i like it! are you designing your own fonts, or is it just the composition you're playing around with?

a mate of mine is setting up a website for street art (im not 100% on the name by the way but that wasn't my call). we were kind of bouncing ideas around and i thought it might be a good idea to make actual whatpastes for the bannerspace (or whatever you call it - on this site, the area just above the navigation bar where the i-mock guy is).

that way, instead of having a graphic design - OK, but a bit sterile - he could have a rolling stock of photos, with the site name incorporated into each poster design (my idea being the photos could be as much about architecture - placement of the poster in a certain environment - as the poster itself). below is one of my try-outs. its just an idea so some bits are very shit - the fag (or cigarette :lol), the bottom of the tumour to his left. but if you have any constructive crits (can't tell what it's supposed to say? i suck at thinking in 3D, i was thinking of trying to mould it in blu-tac first for reference or something. any tips?) please share.

or, if you have any ideas, throw them my way - i'm thinking of spelling it out with the intestines of a seppuku guy too, should be fun.

Rez May 18th, 2008 07:24 AM

that extra post was crass form, tadao. plebian, even.

thanks sloth, it's just composition and color exercises to see what works :)

i like the idea of different images rotating at any given visit, makes it at least seem a little bit as transient as the street art itself, and i like your illustration a lot. legibility is an issue though, because i have stared at it and i really cant make out the first word at all. it's 4am though. 4am legibility.

Tadao May 18th, 2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rez (Post 556427)
that extra post was crass form, tadao. plebian, even.

FTW!!11!!1

Grislygus May 19th, 2008 11:39 AM

Tadao.

hush.

Sloth, that dude looks fantastic, but the letters are much too difficult to make out for any kind of practical logo

Rez May 22nd, 2008 03:25 AM

FUCK

i know it's probably because i'm attempting something rather ambitious when it's pretty much only my second go-around with aftereffects, but is video editing typically really fucking slow like this?
in the last 4 days i've put in 30-35 hours and i *just* reached the 3 minute mark.
as for how it is so far, i'm going back and forth. i'm hampered by how much of this is figuring it out as i go along, on the other hand i have some pretty fine moments on here.

bigtimecow May 22nd, 2008 02:40 PM

yeah, video editing sucks :-/

it took me like 100 hours to edit an 8 minute movie

Rez May 22nd, 2008 06:12 PM

yeah mine is around that length too.

i finished about half of it, showed my advisor, and she's ticked off that i didnt get permission to use the music, even though it's a personal project, because she wants to see it submitted to various festivals and events once it's done because she thinks it's great.

if you're wondering the music is the first 8 minutes of Surgeon's "This is for you shits" DJ mix which has:

(intro) from tape archive
Scorn - Doors
DBit - Kero mix
Autechre - Laughing Quarter
British Murder Boys - Splinter
Aphex Twin - Vordhosbn

hopefully if i do want permission i'd only have to go through the label releasing the mix (Warp) and not Warp, Downwards, Scorn, Hymen, AND R.A.S.
i dont know how that shit works, but im guessing it's a fool's chance in MENSA.

but i guess i'm doing a good job?
i wish i were a better writer. i think what i'm trying to say is rather nuanced but it has to be succinct, readable, but presented in disparate chunks. i'm doing okay so far but i feel a lot of it is kinda... facile and not up to par with the visuals.
eh, that's what life is for. i'm not going to do the best thing ever at 23.

i have a screenshot or two. sorry about the size:

it's been 5 days, i'm letting it rest until saturday.

bigtimecow May 23rd, 2008 11:47 AM

i love the fact that it's all typography-based. i'm a typo nut

once it's done you should youtube it.

Grislygus May 23rd, 2008 11:50 AM

agreed

Rez Jun 5th, 2008 11:59 AM

hello mockery. i havent abandoned you like so many fickle persons. i've just been working on this nonstop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16JlbCkpsoI

Fathom Zero Jun 5th, 2008 01:04 PM

High Five!

bigtimecow Jun 6th, 2008 12:48 AM

5:33 pieced misspelled

but christ that was beautiful

executioneer Jun 6th, 2008 02:55 AM

well as long as we're pointing out spell errors, aberrations is also spelt wrong @ 351ish

but maybe spelling errors are part of it intentionally, lord knows it fits the theme

liquidstatik Jun 6th, 2008 01:12 PM

that was neat :o

Rez Jun 7th, 2008 01:23 AM

yeah a few other things need minor tweaking. please, as embarrassing as they are, tell me all spelling errors. it takes 4 hours to render into an mov and i only want to do this again once.

oh and thanks for liking it :)

glowbelly Jun 8th, 2008 11:02 PM

rez is designing my text tat. that's how much i admire is work, yo. seriously. clappity clappy clap.
oh and congratulate him because he is now a big adult and has a degree in something he loves - a feat that not too many people accomplish in life.

Fathom Zero Jun 13th, 2008 04:39 PM

Writing Pro-tip #X: If it feels extraneous, it is. Especially if it's you that notices it.

Rez Jun 16th, 2008 02:59 AM

what about when that someone is constantly plagued by self-doubt.
i doubt my design abilities on a consistent basis, and i think everyone close to me is tired of pulling me out of that hole (faculty included) and assuring me that i'll actually go somewhere now that i've graduated. i've raised the notion that maybe because i want to be nuanced so much it's feeling rather repetitious in the video, but i'm being told by lots of people that it's all good and i need to let go. my adviser said something i still dont quite understand: "it's more of a song than any concentrated message, i think if the message were the real emphasis it would get repetitive, but it isnt, so it's ok"

or something like that. all i know is the next one just has to be better.

Fathom Zero Jun 16th, 2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rez (Post 561349)

Rise above it. Or you shouldn't do art. But that little tip wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I was just saying it because I was editing something I was working on at the time and found several unnecessary sentences and a paragraph that needed to be clipped away.

Pub Lover Jun 16th, 2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 561363)
Rise above it. Or you shouldn't do art.

You're an idiot.

Fathom Zero Jun 16th, 2008 12:53 PM

You're a virgin.

Pub Lover Jun 16th, 2008 12:58 PM

"Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning, I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Fathom Zero Jun 16th, 2008 01:05 PM

You know, the likelihood of finding true love decreases every day as you inch your way toward imminent, lonely death.

Rez Jun 16th, 2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pub Lover (Post 561375)
You're an idiot.

i think he's right in a way. i dont think it should be stamped out completely, because being totally self confident robs the drive to get better, but 'rising above it' could just mean having the moxie to do it and put it out there and believing in it.

Fathom Zero Jun 16th, 2008 05:40 PM

Fuckin' A. I meant that you should give it around to other people before you start hacking apart your own work. It may be good. By that same token, you might think you work sucks, therefore what's the reason anyone else would think any better of it? It's something I struggle with a lot.

Fathom Zero Jun 16th, 2008 05:53 PM

Actually, lemee condense that. There's a difference between you thinking your work sucks and you thinking other people think your work sucks.

Pub Lover Jun 16th, 2008 05:55 PM

Oh man, Agreed. :(

Rez Jun 16th, 2008 10:09 PM

i think it's a thin line that other people are much better at being paid to manage (agents) than people on the internet are. how to transmit excitement about your work but not look naive in comparison to much better work (which there always will be). how to sell your ideas to others while not coming off as an arrogant prick. knowing your flaws without being cowardly about them.... it's difficult and i havent seen many people handle it with grace aside from just keeping quiet and the explanations terse, but i like to TAAAAAAALK about it. there's a reason for everything. i like being kind of transparent about what i do because goddamn it i am onto something

but it's just not classy...

liquidstatik Jun 23rd, 2008 11:02 AM

so guys, how 'bout that art stuff? :eek

Fathom Zero Jun 23rd, 2008 05:52 PM

HOW ART IS IT?

liquidstatik Jul 5th, 2008 12:55 AM

VERY ART D:

liquidstatik Jul 5th, 2008 12:57 AM

I just found this picture I did sometime way back, it looks shitty now, but I was proud of it at the time :x

http://i25.tinypic.com/72ej28.jpg :O!

sloth Jul 5th, 2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rez (Post 561349)
i doubt my design abilities on a consistent basis, and i think everyone close to me is tired of pulling me out of that hole (faculty included) and assuring me that i'll actually go somewhere now that i've graduated. i've raised the notion that maybe because i want to be nuanced so much it's feeling rather repetitious in the video, but i'm being told by lots of people that it's all good and i need to let go. my adviser said something i still dont quite understand: "it's more of a song than any concentrated message, i think if the message were the real emphasis it would get repetitive, but it isnt, so it's ok"

or something like that. all i know is the next one just has to be better.

I thought I could cut it as a journo, but after three months at a fashion magazine I'd had enough criticism to confirm my own self-doubt. I knew there were worse writers in the business, and I envied their ignorance. Truth is, FZ is right. You do have to rise above it, or else face being drawn into a self-confidence freefall.

Shrubfest Jul 6th, 2008 12:55 PM

Hey, a question: How do i manage to draw a A3 fashion pic? I'm a really small drawer, I can't stand making big pics, but now I have to do four for uni. Hints on making bigger pics?

MLE Jul 9th, 2008 04:01 PM

The best way to let go of the small-picture inhibitions is to get a huge sheet of paper and intentionally draw something at least twice life-size. Try it a few times, and try to look for other things to make the space interesting.

Shrubfest Jul 10th, 2008 11:26 AM

Okpoke.
I'll attempt it!

Wild crayoning at the ready.

MLE Jul 17th, 2008 03:11 AM

Using crayons on their sides or messy charcoal and working in a large room where you can step back 10-15 feet from it really helps!

Rez Jul 25th, 2008 03:39 PM

finally doing my portfolio.
it's going to be a book. a decent sized hardcover
and it's going to cost out the ass to make it.
if anyone knows a place that will print custom made books like lulu.com but will do it in large formats (10x13, 12x12, etc) let me know.
using shutterfly right now and it's going to kill my bank account.

Fathom Zero Jul 25th, 2008 11:26 PM

I know Staples prints and binds books, but I don't know if they're hardcover or not or how much they cost.

Rez Jul 30th, 2008 07:02 PM

well, i'm going through with it i'm going to eat it but i've seen examples and i cant think of anything more perfect.
made the cover using the most minimal execution that i liked of what the whole thing is largely about.

Fathom Zero Jul 30th, 2008 07:42 PM

Das ist gut.

MLE Jul 31st, 2008 01:36 AM

I <3 that plane.

Pram Maven Sep 10th, 2008 04:31 AM

Anyone into clay animation? (mainly Claymation, Will Vinton's trademarked version of it)

I moved to Portland from Seattle to try to get work and so far got a test, but I'd sweep floors for them just to get a foot in the door.

My favorite stuff is Meet The Raisins and the Adventures of Mark Twain. Those films were on a level all their own. It's a shame clay kind of fell by the wayside in favor of cheaper materials.

Tadao Jan 20th, 2009 03:23 PM

There sure are a lot of stickies :rolleyes

What are you art fags up to?

Grislygus Jan 20th, 2009 03:29 PM

Colored inks

I'm moving up!

Tadao Jan 20th, 2009 03:36 PM

No way! That would be like Sacks using crayons! Have you produced anything you like yet?

Grislygus Jan 20th, 2009 03:41 PM

YES

so much so that I will not be putting any of it online until I can copywrite the sumbitches

Grislygus Jan 20th, 2009 03:42 PM

God, they're so much more fun than paint, I've been looking for this

I'm doing abstract work, for crying out loud

Tadao Jan 20th, 2009 04:36 PM

Damit Gus, I wanna see it NOW!

Grislygus Jan 20th, 2009 06:23 PM

Ain't happening for a long, long time

King Hadas Jan 29th, 2009 05:09 PM

Seeing artists improve used to inspire me. Now it just makes me bitter.

Fathom Zero May 30th, 2009 12:40 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Poster-Print-A...3657166&sr=8-2

she's beautiful. Beauty like that doesn't exist in real life, en flesh-like vividity.

10,000 Volt Ghost May 30th, 2009 01:51 PM

^ Is there a guy peeking out from under her dress?

Fathom Zero May 30th, 2009 11:10 PM

I can't see it, but then it's subjective I guess.

10,000 Volt Ghost May 31st, 2009 11:35 PM

It almost looks like a guys face looking down slightly [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Elsa/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-21.jpg[/IMG]

Fathom Zero Jun 1st, 2009 12:36 AM

YOU'RE IMAGETAGTARDED

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 1st, 2009 10:06 AM

I know, I'll circle it when I get home.

MLE Sep 29th, 2009 04:49 PM

I'm back for an unknown amount of time. No more games for me atm, and I have more artsy stuff to post soon. Lots of jewelry and digital stuffs!

Fathom Zero Sep 29th, 2009 04:56 PM

!yay!

MLE Sep 29th, 2009 05:08 PM

:D Have you missed me that much? <3

Fathom Zero Sep 29th, 2009 05:27 PM

GOSH I MISSED YOU THIS MUCH

MLE Sep 29th, 2009 05:29 PM

:O :O :O :O :O

bigtimecow Oct 1st, 2009 01:49 PM

WHAT'S UP I'M HERE

edit: i've probably hyped this before, but for any art that i feel like sharing with the world read my blog dudes http://bigwhitemice.blogspot.com/

MLE Oct 1st, 2009 11:02 PM

Neat! I kinda liked the idea of the self-referencing poem-book-thing. I'm really tired and all, but I'm going to probably get some of my stuff up soonish as soon as I figure out how to get photos of them all (my lens broke *crycrycry*)

MLE Oct 1st, 2009 11:03 PM

SPEAKING OF WHICH does anyone want to donate a lens for a Canon Rebel XT to me? Yes?

bigtimecow Oct 2nd, 2009 09:27 AM

sure, i don't need like a thousand dollars :(

hytuxrup Oct 5th, 2009 11:02 PM

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
Would a new one like me be welcome here?
Thanks so much in deed.

Tadao Oct 5th, 2009 11:06 PM

no we hate telemarketers and people who link to them in their sigs.

King Hadas Oct 20th, 2009 08:29 PM

I'd like to see an art website that exclusively showcases bad artwork from respected artists. Something to show aspiring artists that the good stuff really doesn't spring out of nowhere.