I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Art Chat (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69698552)

bigtimecow Oct 20th, 2009 08:53 PM

this duo k-rock and wolfy gave a talk at my school last semester, showcasing only rejected artwork/design (they do flyers, albums, and like ad campaigns for bands). it was interesting to see all the shitty shit that has to happen before something great can occur

SOMETHING EVERY ARTIST SHOULD KNOW

King Hadas Oct 28th, 2009 11:07 AM

Whats the best art software? I've been using mypaint which I'm finding cumbersome (maybe I'm not using it right).

Fathom Zero Oct 28th, 2009 01:04 PM

I saw someone use ArtRage with a tablet. It was way cool.

http://www.artrage.com/

King Hadas Oct 28th, 2009 03:40 PM

$25? That's outrageous!

Fathom Zero Nov 9th, 2009 09:32 AM

No. YOU are outrageous.

Tadao Nov 10th, 2009 01:53 PM

Happy BDay MLE

Fathom Zero Nov 11th, 2009 11:47 AM

I already wished her a happy derfbay.

MLE Nov 17th, 2009 02:22 PM

:> I've been absent again. Sorry :<

bigtimecow Jan 6th, 2010 03:00 AM

http://bigwhitemice.blogspot.com/2010/01/mudterror.html

i updated my blog with i think my favorite art piece since i started school

yaaaaay

Tadao Mar 23rd, 2010 12:43 AM

This is cool.

Supafly345 Mar 23rd, 2010 04:53 PM

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=40734042
NSFW

Tadao Mar 23rd, 2010 04:56 PM

That's got CIG all over it.

Tadao Apr 26th, 2010 12:29 AM

Fathom Zero Apr 26th, 2010 12:40 AM

OH I SEE

THE SHADOWS

Fathom Zero Apr 30th, 2010 05:57 AM

Anyone dig Jacek Yerka?

Fathom Zero Jun 8th, 2010 12:50 PM

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/201..._drawings.html

Holy fuck

Grislygus Jun 10th, 2010 02:51 AM

FUCKING CHINESE DESTROYING ALL OTHER PHOTOREALISTS ON THE PLANET, I SWEAR TO GOD

Fathom Zero Jun 10th, 2010 08:26 AM

well i was thurprised

bigtimecow Jun 11th, 2010 09:09 PM

i make photorealism

with my eyes

skill is one thing, but...bleh

Fathom Zero Jun 12th, 2010 07:11 AM

The subject matter is boring as fuck.

bigtimecow Jun 13th, 2010 02:58 PM

especially that lion. awful composition

Zhukov Jul 26th, 2010 08:40 AM

The lion is a photo the cats are a drawing.

Interesting story I read:

£50m Painting 'Not as Good' as £8 Telly
New findings stun art world

ART GALLERIES were last night facing the prospect of SCRAPPING all their masterpieces after experts proved that a telly costing just £8 was more than ELEVEN TIMES as interesting as the world's most valuable painting.
Scientists shut volunteers in a completely bare room containing Vincent Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers', an armchair and a small black & white TV, and then monitored their viewing habits for an hour.

chair
Amazingly, they spent an average of less than 5 minutes standing looking at the £50 million painting, before sitting down in the chair and watching whatever was on the television for the rest of the hour.

eel
"At first we doubted our results," said Professor Kent Walton, head of Statistics at Brunel University. "But then we checked and re-checked them and there was no mistake. Telly is loads better than posh paintings, and that's a scientific fact."

ladyland
When the experiment was repeated using the Mona Lisa and a copy of the Autotrader, the results were even more marked.

Disneyland
Sir Roy Strong, curator of the National Gallery, was devastated when we told him of Professor Walton's findings. "I have wasted my life," he said. "All this shit is going in a skip first thing tomorrow, I can tell you."

MLE Jul 26th, 2010 07:41 PM

How about instead of scrapping it, they sell it to the black market and pretend it got stolen.

Fathom Zero Sep 24th, 2010 12:20 PM

http://www.geekologie.com/2010/08/im..._steampunk.php

if I needed a prosthetic arm, I'd want this sooooo bad

MLE Sep 24th, 2010 03:16 PM

That's fucking awesome.

monster_movie_night Dec 10th, 2010 11:41 PM

i like this

MLE Dec 10th, 2010 11:48 PM

Uh, okay. In the future, post stuff like that in the YouTube thread in General Blabber, okay?

Zhukov Jan 22nd, 2011 09:41 AM

I went to an awesome museum drilled into a mountain by an eccentric millionaire.

Grislygus Apr 28th, 2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLE (Post 718528)
repost in art shit and i'll tell you how to fix it

Awright Emily, I'm intrigued. USE YOUR ART MOD POWERS TO MAKE THIS PHOTOREALISTIC

Grislygus Apr 28th, 2011 03:25 PM

Ignoring the obvious rough edges of a work in progress, of course

Fathom Zero Apr 28th, 2011 04:48 PM

make it look more like an apple

:advice

MLE Apr 29th, 2011 02:22 AM

Pop the lights and the dark more. The more contrast you have versus the picture, the more hyper-real it will look. If there's a way to have the sharp edge of the apple stay and have the other side of the color fade to the next, you might want to think about doing that. You should also add a basic shadow at the bottom so it's not floating in midair.

Once that's done, I'm not sure if I'd even have any other critiques. You're already very accurate in your work, and it just needs a few minor tweaks to make it look real.

Ex Leper May 4th, 2011 08:06 PM

I'm starting to work on collages and other random craft projects. I'll be posting them once I get my scanner up.

Pram Maven May 11th, 2011 01:56 PM

I agree, about upping contrast on the apple. When you do that, the saturation is generally also pushed up though, so you might want to dial that down. The specular highlights look really good. Is this being done on a wacom tablet?

Grislygus May 11th, 2011 02:43 PM

no. touchpad.

Pram Maven May 12th, 2011 08:28 PM

Looks like you get some good control with one. I use a mouse for everything graphical and it's not very comfortable. Sometimes an entire folder of images has to have a rig painted out or cracks smoothed. That's incentive for getting it right in-camera. Are you going to post the updated version?

Fathom Zero May 14th, 2011 08:15 PM

this forum makes me want to art so bad but i cannot art and the only art i can do is photography and no one gives a fuck about photography

MLE May 15th, 2011 12:54 PM

You know my stance on that, buddy.

Fathom Zero May 17th, 2011 09:54 PM

http://jezebel.com/5802289/the-seven...esses/gallery/

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Art Nouveau, mfkrs

captain516 May 22nd, 2011 04:52 PM

I love shit like that
Edit: kinda similar

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 25th, 2011 05:36 PM

Kitsa Jun 27th, 2011 10:23 PM

I have synesthesia, mostly cross-wired numbers and colors, and I have the vague idea to paint a "synesthesia" series on smallish canvases. Various numbers in various fonts in the colors they are in my head.

I usually paint in acrylic but I think maybe acrylic won't make me happy with these. I've hated oils in the past but may have to go back to them.

Anyway, is this a stupid idea, do you think?

Fathom Zero Jun 27th, 2011 10:32 PM

It's extremely personal, whether that's good or bad.

Kitsa Jun 27th, 2011 10:35 PM

Well, in personal terms I think it makes all the difference as to whether I can muster any art or not. If everything just was what it was, I'd have no incentive to create.

For some reason, I am itching to paint a dark, bluish kelly-green 9. And then a red-orange 5.

Fathom Zero Jun 27th, 2011 10:53 PM

I didn't mean personal things are bad - just that the meaning behind it is such that other people couldn't possibly appreciate it as much as you can. But go for it. I always like to see people doing things.

Shrubfest Jun 28th, 2011 05:35 AM

I'd be interested to see that. If you could get the colours just right, it would be a prefect glimpse inside your brain.

Shrubfest Jul 1st, 2011 02:42 PM

Soo, I've decided to learn to draw properly before I start classes again, as it was really holding me back and damaging my confidence. I'm working through a book called 'Drawing on the right side of the brain' by Betty Edwards. So far, it seems to be good, but I have yet to get to anything concrete.

Does anyone have hints/tips/advice/books to help me out? Much appreciated.

Grislygus Jul 2nd, 2011 04:01 AM

buy a few thick pads of 18 x 24 newsprint and do lots and lots of scribble gestures, focusing on being as fast and wild as you possibly can. fill up an entire thing of it, with multiple drawings on each page. Make damn sure you draw from life. It's important to have fun and just concentrate on speed, looseness, and drawing large. You should be able to have a reasonably detailed gesture completed in a minute's time. Then bust out a sketchbook and draw every day. don't worry about making "good" drawings, just keep focusing on speed, drawing with your arm as opposed to your wrist, while slowly and surely getting more accurate over time through repetition. You have to commit to it, though. it's like weightlifting, it only works if you're committed

Fathom Zero Jul 2nd, 2011 06:35 AM

Chojin, I dunno if you read this thread or anything, but didn't you say somewhere at one point that the AutoCAD suite is available for free to students?

King Hadas Jul 3rd, 2011 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 729278)
Make damn sure you draw from life.

Why is this important?

Fathom Zero Jul 3rd, 2011 03:19 AM

coz it's quicker, i s'pose

Grislygus Jul 3rd, 2011 04:12 AM

It's about being well-rounded and actually having skill. You won't ALWAYS draw from life. You can easily end up using straight-up references more than half the time. but when you're learning it's critical to draw from life.

You should focus on drawing from life while you're learning because that will guarantee that you know how to do it. There are a lot of reasons why you should know how, many of which are ignored by young artists. This is a wonderful thing for their competitors; if you can draw expertly from a photo but struggle with drawing from life, you're a cripple.

I'll keep it to only a couple of reasons. First of all, photographs distort, flatten, and present images for you on a silver plate. You're just copying and rendering, skipping (and therefore not practicing) a slew of critical artistic decisions that naturally occur when you draw from life and have to represent a three dimensional object on a two dimensional plane yourself. You obviously make artistic decisions when you take the photo, but those are not drawing decisions. You're out of your comfort zone, and you inadvertently focus far more on accuracy (even though it's frustrating at first). If you can draw well from life, you WILL be able to draw from a photo. Being able to draw from a photo does not at ALL guarantee that you can draw from life.

Things change. Lighting changes, the model moves, something gets messed up. You then have to fix it on the page yourself. If someone is sitting for you, you're on a time limit (once again developing speed is healthy for you as an artist. You can ALWAYS take your time... but unless you practice, you won't be able to draw quickly. Drawing quickly unifies the drawing far better and allows for accurate underdrawings in a short period of time, which in turn leaves PLENTY of time for the detail work. The more fluid, accurate, and natural the underdrawing, the better the final result. Invariably.) If you want to be accurate, you are forced to abandon area drawing (critical) if you have that problem. You stand far away from the model and have to focus on spending most of your time staring very intently at the model while only able to steal quick glances at your paper. This increases accuracy by improving observational skills. Once you have accuracy and speed, you can move back to using references and focus on improving your rendering. Accuracy and speed, accuracy and speed, always accuracy and speed. Once you get a handle on those, then you can move on with confidence. Plus, you'll get better quicker.

I think I'll stop there and keep it as an internet post, instead of having to rewrite it as an essay while really going into lighting and perspective

Grislygus Jul 3rd, 2011 04:18 AM

And all of this happens without you really having to think about it at all. All you're doing is trying to draw the motherfucker, and puzzling over why something doesn't look quite right. Drawing from life is brain food for the artist

bubbles Jul 3rd, 2011 08:55 PM

This is a painting I did don't know if im finished yet... any words?

Fathom Zero Jul 3rd, 2011 09:14 PM

looks neat

All Hail Duke Jul 3rd, 2011 09:19 PM

pretty much what zero said

bubbles Jul 3rd, 2011 09:46 PM

well thank you

Chojin Jul 4th, 2011 06:53 AM

it appears to be missing pieces

bubbles Jul 4th, 2011 08:45 AM

yes this is true, I am still working on it but it goes with a story and at times I like my work a little unfinished bc the characters build as the story does. Not sure if this is a bad idea? I would like your input :)

bubbles Jul 4th, 2011 09:27 AM

here is another example for the same story...

Zhukov Jul 4th, 2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles (Post 729626)
Not sure if this is a bad idea? I would like your input :)

Add a dick to it, Chojin.

bubbles Jul 4th, 2011 07:41 PM

so you like the dick and feel the painting is lacking without it. Nothing like a raging hard on!!! Thank you Zhukov

Fathom Zero Jul 5th, 2011 06:48 AM

mmmm I like this.

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-b...emy-hutchinson

bubbles Jul 10th, 2011 10:17 PM

This is a painting I did for our story any feedback?

its called Sir Patience

Shrubfest Jul 22nd, 2011 12:20 PM

My final year proposal feedback has many irritating questions in it that I'm fairly certain I explained in detail in the actual proposal.
Now I don't know whether I should 'play the game' and change things to how they want or just rephrase a bunch of stuff like I'm talking to a child.

Shyandquietguy Aug 1st, 2011 01:10 AM

I've only been doing drawings casually but I'm sort of interested in going farther. My only nit pick is whether I'm too prudent about the idea of photo references vs the real thing.

Nick Aug 4th, 2011 10:40 AM

Do you guys think we'll have another Exquisite Corpse project again soon? Those are always fun.

b_squared Aug 10th, 2011 10:56 AM

I encouraged my daughters art talent as they grew up. Now they just finished their first year in college with art as their majors, and I am worried that the college money should better be used for a different major. Is there any way they can make a decient living with an art related job? Does that starving artist thing still hold true?

Rongi Aug 14th, 2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_squared (Post 737040)
Is there any way they can make a decient living with an art related job?

No, sorry :(

bigtimecow Aug 17th, 2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shyandquietguy (Post 734678)
I've only been doing drawings casually but I'm sort of interested in going farther. My only nit pick is whether I'm too prudent about the idea of photo references vs the real thing.

once the drawing is complete though, does it really matter where you drew it from? there are some drawings where you can tell its from a photo (shit lighting, flatness, etc.), but generally i can't tell the difference unless it's blatant. and if someone sees the drawing without asking you where you drew it from, they probably won't know any better.

and this raises a question i've been drunkenly arguing about for a years: does the artist's intent matter or is it about the viewer's perception? or both?

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 10th, 2011 03:27 PM

Happy Birthday MLE

Fathom Zero Nov 10th, 2011 03:41 PM

emmmmmmmmmmmelllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Zhukov Nov 10th, 2011 10:24 PM

MLEH :)

monicat Nov 24th, 2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 729405)
It's about being well-rounded and actually having skill. You won't ALWAYS draw from life. You can easily end up using straight-up references more than half the time. but when you're learning it's critical to draw from life.

You should focus on drawing from life while you're learning because that will guarantee that you know how to do it. There are a lot of reasons why you should know how, many of which are ignored by young artists. This is a wonderful thing for their competitors; if you can draw expertly from a photo but struggle with drawing from life, you're a cripple.

I'll keep it to only a couple of reasons. First of all, photographs distort, flatten, and present images for you on a silver plate. You're just copying and rendering, skipping (and therefore not practicing) a slew of critical artistic decisions that naturally occur when you draw from life and have to represent a three dimensional object on a two dimensional plane yourself. You obviously make artistic decisions when you take the photo, but those are not drawing decisions. You're out of your comfort zone, and you inadvertently focus far more on accuracy (even though it's frustrating at first). If you can draw well from life, you WILL be able to draw from a photo. Being able to draw from a photo does not at ALL guarantee that you can draw from life.

Things change. Lighting changes, the model moves, something gets messed up. You then have to fix it on the page yourself. If someone is sitting for you, you're on a time limit (once again developing speed is healthy for you as an artist. You can ALWAYS take your time... but unless you practice, you won't be able to draw quickly. Drawing quickly unifies the drawing far better and allows for accurate underdrawings in a short period of time, which in turn leaves PLENTY of time for the detail work. The more fluid, accurate, and natural the underdrawing, the better the final result. Invariably.) If you want to be accurate, you are forced to abandon area drawing (critical) if you have that problem. You stand far away from the model and have to focus on spending most of your time staring very intently at the model while only able to steal quick glances at your paper. This increases accuracy by improving observational skills. Once you have accuracy and speed, you can move back to using references and focus on improving your rendering. Accuracy and speed, accuracy and speed, always accuracy and speed. Once you get a handle on those, then you can move on with confidence. Plus, you'll get better quicker.

I think I'll stop there and keep it as an internet post, instead of having to rewrite it as an essay while really going into lighting and perspective

I agree, artists nowadays just want to skip some stages. That's what leads to the "so called art" we are asked to admire

Kitsa Feb 14th, 2012 06:26 PM

That commercial I did is up for an award. I find out in March.

All Hail Duke Feb 22nd, 2012 12:12 AM

thought this was interesting
http://karanarora.posterous.com/insa...oks-with-surgi

Phoenix Gamma Apr 27th, 2012 07:37 PM

I'm working on a website. It's going to be a collection of different comics; one is going to be a bunch of crayon drawings that's kind of like a psuedo-journal. The main one I'm working on is this one that's kind of like a superhero homage meets Daria...?

I'm really bad at summarizing my work but I did a test page because I want to use a different style from what I normally do. I don't hate it that much...

Spoilers!

Mostly trying to settle on color schemes. That part's always the hardest part for me, but I don't want to do grey stuff anymore. Chances are I'm just going to do backgrounds first and build the character palettes around those.

Supafly345 Oct 5th, 2012 10:12 AM

So I am playing my first ever game of D&D, and as a nice thing to do for a bunch of people I don't know I offered to do a quick sketch of their characters so they could have nice little avatars representing them in pathfinder rather than a picture of their dog or whatever. One of them is a half-orc monk, and while drawing him I decided that making him look crazy and intimidating would reflect the way he played the character pretty well, so I set forth to do that.... this is what ended up happening instead:

And I thought it was so funny I'd share it. :rolleyes

Tadao Oct 5th, 2012 11:41 AM

He is so fricking happy! If you made him cross-eyed he'd be retarded.

Maybe a stronger brow, a only the left side of his mouth turned up in a smile and the right eye popping out of the skull a bit?

IDK

Phoenix Gamma May 21st, 2013 11:56 AM

I don't usually animate, but when I do, there's an epilepsy warning
Spoilers!

Tadao May 21st, 2013 01:22 PM

Making the eyes twirl is too obvious?

Phoenix Gamma May 21st, 2013 04:26 PM

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK

MLE Nov 21st, 2013 04:06 AM

SUP GUISE

Tadao Nov 21st, 2013 12:28 PM

fART

Supafly345 Mar 11th, 2014 03:51 AM

Hag eyes, someone asked me to make this for a shadowrun game they were running, the villian was santy claws. This fit into my almost not once a year post theme so here you go!