I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics 'n Books (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   WHAT are you reading right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2594)

Ant10708 Nov 16th, 2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krythor (Post 659266)
About to start 69 Things to Do with a Dead Princess by Stewart Home and Samuel Beckett's Trilogy.

that book is pretty bad

Krythor Nov 17th, 2009 02:47 PM

Which one? And in what way?

elx Nov 20th, 2009 07:52 PM

recently finished A Mathematician's Apology, hardy was so great :)

WarpSpasm Nov 22nd, 2009 12:27 AM

Just finished Stephen King's Cujo, oh how a masterful freak like him can weave a scary book. I had a couple Horrorgasms, which is why I keep coming back to him.

Now I'm moving onto Dante's Inferno and Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

Zhukov Nov 22nd, 2009 11:26 AM

Elements of the Philosophy of Right by Hegel.

Don't let the title fool you; it's actually really boring.

Fathom Zero Nov 22nd, 2009 11:29 AM

:lol

The Medium is the Massage by Marshall McLuhan. The strangest little paperback I've ever "read". I would almost have thought it written recently, except for the fact that it predates anything resembling the internet.

Krythor Nov 24th, 2009 07:48 PM

Finished 69 Things, have begun Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille and The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis. I also plan to start and finish Passages by Ann Quin in the next couple of days. It's quite short.

Krythor Nov 24th, 2009 08:23 PM

Also, I read a tiny bit of Beckett's Trilogy and gave up. Not in the right frame of mind for it.

69 Things was not particularly enjoyable, but it wasn't meant to be, and I found it quite interesting.

Ant10708 Nov 26th, 2009 05:47 AM

I was talking about 69 things. I found it to be far from interesting and a horrible read.

How do you read so many books in such a short period of time? Do you forsake school or work to read or have some awesome job where ur paid to read books?

Krythor Nov 26th, 2009 06:10 AM

I do an english degree that I'm about to finish and read pretty much all day every day.

Ant10708 Nov 26th, 2009 09:50 AM

whats one of your favorite books?

Krythor Nov 26th, 2009 10:26 AM

Ulysses by James Joyce is my favourite book. WHY?

kahljorn Nov 27th, 2009 04:37 PM

isnt the story of the eye

Spoilers!

Krythor Nov 29th, 2009 06:29 PM

I haven't got that far yet, but based on what I have read it sounds likely.

captain516 Nov 30th, 2009 12:17 AM

I re-read Of Mice and Men, and had a mental image of a huge retarded guy snapping Tadao's neck..

Tadao Nov 30th, 2009 12:24 AM

Fathom Zero Nov 30th, 2009 01:40 PM

BatmanJohnson Dec 3rd, 2009 10:02 PM

Currently Reading: The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall.

MrSmiley381 Dec 5th, 2009 05:50 PM

Still haven't made any progress with the Illuminatus! Trilogy.
Have a quarter of The Color of Magic to read.
Still on The Restaurant at The End of The Universe.
Just started Neuromancer.

Hooray for reader's ADD!

Ant10708 Dec 5th, 2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krythor (Post 660802)
Ulysses by James Joyce is my favourite book. WHY?

why the fuck not? Its called finding out what others find to be good reads so you can read them yourself. I don't have unlimited time like you to read thousands of books so I like to read ones that people have suggested to me in order to avoid shitty books.

Lord Lonic Dec 6th, 2009 03:19 AM

executioneer Dec 6th, 2009 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSmiley381 (Post 661931)
ColoUr of Magic

>:

Krythor Dec 6th, 2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant10708 (Post 661962)
why the fuck not? Its called finding out what others find to be good reads so you can read them yourself. I don't have unlimited time like you to read thousands of books so I like to read ones that people have suggested to me in order to avoid shitty books.

I thought you were asking to be a dick. Well, it's a good book.

captain516 Dec 7th, 2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Lonic (Post 662002)
I love retrojunk.com

Never heard of it, who's the author

Lord Lonic Dec 7th, 2009 01:31 AM

Fat Mario Heads

10,000 Volt Ghost Dec 7th, 2009 11:04 AM

Choke by Chuck "Shades" Palahniuk.

King Hadas Dec 30th, 2009 07:52 PM

I was going to start another thread for this but I think I'll just ask here. I've been trying to remember the name of a book that was recommended to me a while ago. The story's told from the perspective of a mean, bitter old woman whom the book is also named after. I'm pretty sure it's an older novel but I'm not sure about that. Also the word Aunt might be in the title but once again I'm not certain.

RaNkeri Jan 3rd, 2010 03:51 PM

Finished Richard Matheson's 'Incredible shrinking man' & 'Nightmare at 20000 feet' short story collection during my stay with the folks.

Starting Joseph Heller's Catch-22 again, trying to finish it this time

10,000 Volt Ghost Jan 3rd, 2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaNkeri (Post 666108)

Starting Joseph Heller's Catch-22 again, trying to finish it this time

I really want to read Catch 22. It took me a long time to sit down and watch the movie which I loved. Once again though I'm sure the book is tons better.

Zhukov Jan 7th, 2010 08:28 AM

I just finished Look to Windward by Ian M Banks about 5 minutes ago, it's the second last in his The Culture series, the last being Matter, which I have ordered and am hoping it arrives here soon.

I guess I've got a few days to kill before it gets here, so I'll probably slip back into pointlessly reading War and Peace, or some boring shit about economics, knowing my next Sci-Fi fix is just around the corner.

Pentegarn Jan 9th, 2010 10:37 AM

I just finished The Law of Nines by Terry Goodkind. I am surprised how far after his original series he went with this. While I liked it, I thought the ending was far too abrupt and I would have liked to see the story dragged out to a three book series like he did with the Chainfire storyline.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jan 23rd, 2010 05:13 PM

captain516 Feb 9th, 2010 12:25 AM

The Aamzing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, good stuff.

BatmanJohnson Feb 13th, 2010 12:30 PM

Breathers: A zombies Lament. Excellent book, thought it was going to be terrible. It is however quite good. I'd recommend it.

10,000 Volt Ghost Feb 13th, 2010 01:26 PM

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

YellowSub287 Feb 14th, 2010 12:35 PM

George Carlin's Napalm and Silly Putty.

Pentegarn Feb 15th, 2010 08:29 AM

I might have that book. All I remember is when I read it I thought to myself, 'He told these jokes in his stand up already'

Grislygus Feb 15th, 2010 11:47 AM

I just gave my copy away to the goodwill, if i had wanted recycled material i would have bought a book by dennis miller

Zombie Loaf Feb 15th, 2010 11:27 PM

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Babs Feb 25th, 2010 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost (Post 672428)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

One of the few books that was adapted to a movie perfectly. I swear that the movie is word for word.

10,000 Volt Ghost Feb 27th, 2010 10:04 AM

^ That's what I've heard, I've only seen the opening 20 mins of it and that was years ago. Probably going to watch it when I'm done reading it.

Ant10708 Feb 28th, 2010 02:51 AM

how have you not seen that movie by now? your missing out

10,000 Volt Ghost Feb 28th, 2010 03:17 PM

Its just one of those movies that I'm sure its good but everyones raves about it so I feel inclined to not watch it.
This also goes for:
Memento
Godfathers
Gladiator
Troy.....pretty much any sword and sandal movie in the last 15 years
King kong
A bunch others

When I'm done reading fear and loathing in las vegas I might read the rum diary or finish 1001 nights

Tadao Feb 28th, 2010 06:08 PM

Rum Diary was really entertaining.

Krythor Mar 3rd, 2010 03:08 PM

Just started North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and will soon be starting The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor.

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 8th, 2010 04:06 PM

Arabian Nights.

stonewar Mar 8th, 2010 05:11 PM

B as in Beauty by Antonio Ferreras (another lame fat girl finds self esteem novel, oddly not written by a woman)

The 'about the author' blurb was funny. A first novel by the performance artist know as "Dr Truth" who sets up booths to answer peoples questions with brutal honesty.

Krythor Mar 16th, 2010 08:23 AM

I'm reading The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor and I'm ashamed that I haven't read any of her writing before. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

King Hadas Apr 30th, 2010 05:28 PM

Flannery O'Connor is great. Another southern, female writer from that time period I like is Carson Mccullers.

Tried to read The Road by Cormac Mccarthy but I couldn't get into it.

10,000 Volt Ghost May 1st, 2010 09:36 AM

I picked up the 1st book of the new dragonlance trilogy and I just can't get into it.

Tadao May 1st, 2010 10:09 AM

How did you like 1001 nights?

10,000 Volt Ghost May 1st, 2010 11:08 AM

I'm only on part three so far. Don't really remember which night that is because there are so many stories inside stories inside other stories around other stories relating to other stories.

I have a bad habit of starting books without finishing them.

Books I have started that need finshing:

The two towers
Carl jung's Man and his symbols
1001 nights
that new dragonlance book
how to speak spanish(possibly te toca a ti)
Becoming a category of one.

Going on vacation next month, maybe I'll finish up one of them at the beach.

Tadao May 1st, 2010 11:26 AM

Becoming a category of one?

That title sounds dreadful.

10,000 Volt Ghost May 1st, 2010 11:30 AM

It really was. It was some book from my work they wanted everyone to read.

Fathom Zero May 1st, 2010 04:57 PM

1001 Nights is hilarious. It's the ultimate frame story.

Zhukov May 3rd, 2010 12:27 PM

The Myth of Sisyphus.

Only just started but I might wait until the end until I end my life.

kahljorn May 5th, 2010 03:32 AM

by camus? :O

Zhukov May 5th, 2010 05:31 AM

Oui.

zeldasbiggestfan Jul 2nd, 2010 02:06 PM

'Bout done with Blood of the Fold, moving on to Temple of the Winds soon. Terry Goodkind has some good stuff out if you're into fantasy.

Pentegarn Jul 2nd, 2010 04:18 PM

The series really gets good with Faith of the Fallen. Just make sure you have it handy when you finish Soul of the Fire because the ending of Soul kind of pisses you off. I read them as they came out on hardback and when I got to the end of SotF I was like, "That's it? You're ending the book like that? I am pissed!"

Oh and book 7 (Pillars of Creation) goes off on a huge tangent but the story gets back on track in book 8

Grislygus Jul 3rd, 2010 03:50 AM

oh shit, i forgot there was a thread like this

East of Eden
Log from the Sea of Cortez (again)
As I Lay Dying
Cabal (again)

and i just finished Cannery Row, Tortilla Flat, and The Pearl (all again), as well as Books of Blood (complete), King's Danse Macabre, Supernatural Horror in Literature and Shadowland... still not sure why Peter Straub is a big deal. Maybe if i finally read Ghost Story

Esuohlim Jul 3rd, 2010 04:01 AM

I'm reading Jennifer Government, A Clash of Kings, Guards! Guards!, and Player's Piano right now. I just bought Neil Gaiman's American Gods. :eek

Grislygus Jul 3rd, 2010 04:11 AM

guards! guards! is fucking hilarious, how is american gods so far? I've never given two tin shits about gaiman, but i've heard good things about that one from some very smart people

Tadao Jul 3rd, 2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 690921)

East of Eden
As I Lay Dying
Cabal (again)

and i just finished Cannery Row, Tortilla Flat, and The Pearl (all again), as well as Books of Blood (complete), King's Danse Macabre, Supernatural Horror in Literature and Shadowland... still not sure why Peter Straub is a big deal. Maybe if i finally read Ghost Story

You gonna go t Monterey soon or something?

Esuohlim Jul 3rd, 2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 690926)
guards! guards! is fucking hilarious, how is american gods so far? I've never given two tin shits about gaiman, but i've heard good things about that one from some very smart people

I don't know mang, I just bought it :eek But I'm a very smart person as well so I let you know the good things when I get to it.

And Guards! Guards! is amazing. I'm reading the series in chronological order so I had been looking forward to this one

wizbenny Jul 3rd, 2010 07:19 PM

Both American Gods and its sequel (of sorts) are quite good. Not as good as Good Omens.

Pretty much the entire Pratchett library is good. "The Nation" was a bit boring, but readable. It wasn't standard fare for Pratchett, so that may have lessened my enjoyment.

Before American Gods I was with you on Gaiman. I had tried Sandman a few times and found it to be boring as hell. Then went back and picked up some of his other works and found that it's his COMICS writing that I don't care for. He was made for novels.

Esuohlim Jul 3rd, 2010 10:27 PM

Good Omens is a fantastic book, otherwise I wouldn't know who the fuck Gaiman even is. Neverwhere looked interesting too but I was too poor to buy both :(

wizbenny Jul 3rd, 2010 10:31 PM

I always buy my books used off of Amazon or Half.

Fathom Zero Jul 4th, 2010 05:17 AM

I'm about to read The Faggiest Vampire as soon as it gets here. :)

wizbenny Jul 4th, 2010 08:35 AM

Ha. Had to look up if that's real. Looks like it is. Along with the author's other works: The Baby Jesus Butt Plug, Rampaging Fuckers of Everything on the Crazy Shitting Planet of the Vomit Atmosphere and Satan Burger

zeldasbiggestfan Jul 10th, 2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 690921)

East of Eden
As I Lay Dying
Cabal (again)

Me ma just read Tortilla Flat and she said it was really good. How's East of Eden?

Grislygus Jul 10th, 2010 01:17 AM

all of steinbeck is good. critics generally have serious issues with it, because they're cocksuckers. it's not as good or well-constructed as grapes of wrath so far, that's true, but it IS a great american novel, just as Steinbeck's a great American author.

Grislygus Jul 10th, 2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 690948)
You gonna go t Monterey soon or something?

dude, everyone on these forums knows that I'm practically gay for John Steinbeck

Grislygus Jul 10th, 2010 01:23 AM

which is why it's particularly embarrassing that I've never read east of eden before

kahljorn Jul 10th, 2010 05:44 PM

THERES A HORRIBLE MUSEUM IN MONTEREY DEDICATED TO JOHN STEINBECK

THE GRAPES OF WRATH WAS WRITTEN ABOUT BAKerSFiELD WHICH IS WHERE I LIVE RIGHT NOW :O HIS book WAS BANNED HERE FOR A LONG TIME :lol

Tadao Jul 11th, 2010 07:40 PM

Yeah, I've heard that it's smaller than a bedroom.

timrpgland Jul 15th, 2010 07:59 PM

"The Winter War" by William Durbin. He's my uncle so it's pretty much the only reason I'm checking it out. Most of his novels are for the younger crowd. Historical novel, Soviet Union invading Finland in November 1939.

wizbenny Jul 16th, 2010 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timrpgland (Post 692195)
"The Winter War" by William Durbin. He's my uncle so it's pretty much the only reason I'm checking it out. Most of his novels are for the younger crowd. Historical novel, Soviet Union invading Finland in November 1939.

That's very cool. Historical fiction is very tough to do well.

Phoenix Gamma Jul 24th, 2010 02:18 AM

Just finished the last Scott Pilgrim book.

God, what a let down. Wangst got cranked up ("it felt like I was trapped in a river..."), the fights were stupid (and not funny stupid. Just stupid) and the pacing was horrible. I missed reading a fun comic about a guy fighting even exboyfriends with occasional game jokes tucked away in a few pages. Not stupid melodrama. Now I definitely don't want to see the movie.

Esuohlim Jul 24th, 2010 02:20 AM

I've never read a Stephen King book before, so I'm going to try The Stand and see how it goes

Well ok I've read Thinner but that's a Richard Bachman book w/e :rolleyes

Fathom Zero Jul 24th, 2010 02:24 AM

It's gotta be one of the best, really. The Shining and It are good, too.

Pentegarn Jul 24th, 2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 693051)
I've never read a Stephen King book before, so I'm going to try The Stand and see how it goes

"Richard Bachman's" greatest contribution to entertainment was when The Running Man became a movie :lol

MLE Jul 24th, 2010 09:45 AM

Though the best work that King wrote while he was writing as Bachman was The Long Walk. I loved that shit.

Zhukov Jul 24th, 2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Make sure you start at the begining of his career and work your way through while giving us one line reviews.

Esuohlim Jul 24th, 2010 02:56 PM

I was thinking about doing that with I-Mock members in reverse alphabetical order

Fathom Zero Jul 24th, 2010 03:00 PM

Grislygus Jul 24th, 2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLE (Post 693064)
Though the best work that King wrote while he was writing as Bachman was The Long Walk. I loved that shit.

as soon as i saw the crack about the running man the FIRST THING i thought of was WHAT ABOUT THE LONG WALK

Nick Jul 25th, 2010 08:19 AM

Some shitty webcomic called Wayward Sons.

wizbenny Jul 30th, 2010 02:35 PM

At least you're reading.

Meanwhile I've been reading Lackadaisy Cats with my daughter. The author gave me a book at SDCC, and it's some pretty amazing stuff... I'm not typically into anthropomorphic stuff, but the artist has real talent which gets me past that barrier. I can recommend it.

I also started reading an interesting Webcomic called OUT THERE from R.C. Monroe. He was at my booth, and I got a chance to peruse his stuff. Again, not the typical fare I'd read, but pretty good focus on characterization, not artwork.

I picked up several novels from the Del Ray and Tor booths as well, but haven't dove into those just yet.

wizbenny Jul 30th, 2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

The thing that frustrates me with Stephen King is... he's brilliant at creating concepts and characterization... but he FAILS to outline his plots or where to take them.

So it's invariably enjoyable right up to the climax, and then the whole thing seems to meander and fall apart. He has great beginnings and middles, but AWFUL endings.

I don't think I've EVER read a Stephen King book (and I've read a lot) and gone, "What a satisfying ending..." The best I've managed to say was, "Well... that was... different."

Pentegarn Jul 30th, 2010 03:34 PM

I'm going to say you are wrong because of Shawshank Redemption

Which is more of a novella, but still

wizbenny Jul 30th, 2010 04:27 PM

Yeah I mean novels since that was what was being discussed. His novellas are typically better constructed... Guess I should have specified.

Mind you, I enjoy them overall, but disappointed in the finales.

Fathom Zero Jul 30th, 2010 04:37 PM

I like a lot of his non-supernatural thriller stuff. Fo' realsy

Esuohlim Jul 30th, 2010 05:05 PM

Well since I'm the kind of person who enjoys reading books and cares more about the journey than the destination, I'm not going to be put off by bad endings as long as most of the overall book is good. I'm about 400 pages into the Stand and it's incredible so far, btw.

Fathom Zero Jul 30th, 2010 05:32 PM

Trashcan Man is one of my favorite characters in anything ever.

wizbenny Jul 30th, 2010 07:15 PM

Bombedy bombedy bomb.

The Dark Tower series was very cool in that it tied a lot of his books together into one kind of psuedo-continuity. Ending sucked tho... which, he even SAYS will suck with a disclaimer for anyone reading it. Seriously. Kind of insulting.

Still, there's no denying he's a good writer... he just needs an equally good editor to pin him down to endings that make sense and he'd be a perfect writer. LOL.

Everyone needs a sounding board... in my opinion. Unfortunately (as demonstrated by Lucas) when you're surrounded by sycophants and yes-men... too afraid of upsetting the 800 lb gorilla... you're left with bland creative from otherwise talented people.

Fathom Zero Jul 30th, 2010 08:15 PM

I don't think it's easy to end a magnum opus.

Grislygus Jul 31st, 2010 04:41 AM

the dark tower series is very simple. as soon as stephen king wrote himself into it, as a character, it solidified as crap.

It's archetypal Dune Syndrome; everything gets too damn big, everything gets explained even as more questions are raised, the explained again, everything gets lost in the muddle, everything gets ridiculous in a hurry and then the whole damn series collapses in on itself in a ludicrous, quivering pile of What The Hell Was THAT Crap

Grislygus Jul 31st, 2010 04:49 AM

psuedo-continuity, my ass. Occasionally, continuity wouldbe briefly hinted at in books like Cujo (yes... and It). From there, connections were firmly established in Insomnia.

Unfortunately, all that was just too damn interesting and subtle, so we get beaten over the head with ZOMG ROLAND ACTUALLY MET STEPHEN KING AND TOLD HIM THAT EVERY STORY HE EVER WROTE WOULD ACTUALLY BE ABOUT THE DARK TOWER LET'S ALL GO TO BARNES AND NOBLE AND GEEK OUT TOGETHER

Pentegarn Jul 31st, 2010 07:34 AM