I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics 'n Books (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   WHAT are you reading right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2594)

kahljorn Jul 2nd, 2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

I'm about 3/4 way thought it. But I've been reading that and War and Peace for the past few years. Russian authors always interest me and drag me in, then take too long to get to the end,
Dostoevsky novels usually have shitty ant-climatic endings

i read about 100 pages of war and peace but its kinda boring except when they tie that dude to the bear. thats funny.

but yea i really like russian writers too

Zhukov Jul 2nd, 2011 12:49 PM

War and Peace does have a little bit of interesting in it, but it is just swamped with so much boring that it makes it a real chore to wade through.

I'm moving house at the moment and I left the book that I am reading --The Wasp Factory - at the wrong abode, so I went on wikipedia and read up on it. Like an idiot I spoiled it for myself and ruined the ending.

I like dystopian futures, and I think I might write a short story about one.

King Hadas Jul 3rd, 2011 03:26 AM

I only read the first chapter of War & Peace. A lot of it was in french with no translation, don't know if this was artistic or if the translators expected me to know french but I couldn't find the energy to go on. Never had that problem with Doestoyevsy, I burn through Dostoyevsky's stuff without ever breaking pace. I've only read his three most famous works though (Crime and Punishment, The Idiot and The Brothers Karamazov), not sure about his other books like The Gambler or Demons.

@Zhukov - I had the same problem with The Wasp Factory, the ending was spoiled for me before I even started reading it. It's still pretty good even if you know how it ends.

Zhukov Jul 3rd, 2011 09:43 AM

I really enjoyed Crime and Punishment despite me thinking that it suffers from the same boring ending syndrome as other Russian literary classics. I've got The Idiot floating around here somewhere so I will get to that soonish.

My copy of War and Peace also has quite a lot of untranslated French in it. He doesn't make it easy.

Fathom Zero Jul 4th, 2011 02:08 AM

Reading shouldn't be like solving a puzzle box. >:

Sam Jul 4th, 2011 02:11 AM

UNLESS YOU ARE READING HELLRAISER.

Fathom Zero Jul 4th, 2011 02:16 AM

blive carker

King Hadas Jul 10th, 2011 03:00 PM

I've started Slapstick by Vonnegut.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The first line of the prologue
This is the closest I will ever come to writing an autobiography.

lol

Fathom Zero Jul 10th, 2011 09:49 PM

Gawd, I love Slapstick.

Esuohlim Jul 11th, 2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 665098)
Slapstick is the worst novel Vonnegut wrote

I still agree with PAST ESUOHLIM. That's the one with the retarded twins who can mindmeld by fucking each other, right?

Fathom Zero Jul 11th, 2011 12:14 AM

WHAT IS WRONG ABOUT THAT.

Esuohlim Jul 11th, 2011 12:47 AM

So you loved Slapstick but hated Deadeye Dick?

King Hadas Jul 11th, 2011 10:47 AM

Finished Slapstick. I liked it, I can't disagree with Milhouse though when he says it's the worst Vonnegut novel ever since I haven't read everything by Vonnegut and Slapstick definitely isn't better than any of the Vonnegut novels I have read.

The worst thing I've read by Vonnegut was God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian. That's not really a novel though.

Fathom Zero Jul 11th, 2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 731131)
So you loved Slapstick but hated Deadeye Dick?

DID I SAY THAT, MILHOUSE? DID I?

Esuohlim Jul 11th, 2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 703986)
I read through Deadeye Dick in one sitting this morning. IT IS NOT ABOUT DICKS. Recommended

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 703987)
derecommended

Fathom Zero Jul 11th, 2011 08:35 PM

coz you said it wasn't about dicks

i was going for the gag, milhouse, you should know that

or I was being contrary that day

executioneer Jul 11th, 2011 09:56 PM

going for the gag, eh

Fathom Zero Jul 12th, 2011 12:41 AM

yeah, coz there's no way I'd like didcks in real life

yeah

Esuohlim Jul 12th, 2011 01:33 AM

How about Breakfast of Champions, that one actually is about dicks

executioneer Jul 12th, 2011 01:43 AM

is it about gagging on them though

k0k0 Jul 17th, 2011 09:04 PM

I just finished The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. It is an excellent story set in the First Law universe that he's created. If you like fantasy novels and haven't read any of Joe Abercrombie's work, I would highly recommend it, starting with the First Law Trilogy. All of his books do suffer a little bit switching character perspectives, but they hold some of the most brutally awesome fight scenes I've ever read. I've gone through all 5 of his books and they just keep getting better.

captain516 Aug 1st, 2011 10:40 PM

I fished The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad. In it, Hitler moves to America and becomes a beloved sci-fi writer. Kinda lame actually, but I'm a sucker for alternate reality stories.

executioneer Aug 2nd, 2011 05:30 PM

found a paperback copy of Dune for $1, fuck yeah

Nick Aug 3rd, 2011 03:07 PM

I just read through Volume 8 and 9 of the Dark horse's ongoing Conan series. I can't get enough of it. Volume 14 of The Walking Dead was pretty great as well. I hate how they always leave you hanging at the end of each Volume, though.

King Hadas Aug 4th, 2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by executioneer (Post 735058)
found a paperback copy of Dune for $1, fuck yeah

I found a paperback copy of Dune at St Vincent's once that was only a nickel. :dunce