I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   daphne's and drumming's vegan thread (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13833)

glowbelly Sep 13th, 2004 02:50 PM

daphne's and drumming's vegan thread

started just for you two ladies.

defend thyselves!

and know that i would join you both if i didn't love milk and cheese so much!

i am a vegetarian, though... A REAL ONE. no fishies or chickens for me.

Daphne Sep 13th, 2004 02:54 PM

:lol

There's no need for defense. Most people in their right minds don't give a shit what someone's DIET is. My husband eats meat, and I certainly don't give him any grief over it.
The only people who do are silly little attention whores who 'moo' at you when they eat a hamburger and think they are being clever. These are usually the same people who tell people with purple hair etc. that halloween is in October.

glowbelly Sep 13th, 2004 02:57 PM

i like the "how can you do that?" response when i tell people i don't eat animals.

i never really know how to answer that. i usually just shrug, but i think to myself, 'i could ask the same of you.'

MetalMilitia Sep 13th, 2004 03:05 PM

Ok i suppose there is nothing really wrong with bieng a vegan or vegitarian but meat is the nicest thing ever. Vegitables are only nice if you eat a big piece of roast or something shortly after.
Also wtf are vegans supopsed to put in sandwitches.. just a piece of lettuce with no butter or anything?
And how can you eat cereal without milk?
Thinking about it, what the heck do you put in you tea? Tea with no milk tastes god awful.

Daphne Sep 13th, 2004 03:11 PM

Read a book. And then learn to spell. I thought you were a Brit! You're supposed to be smart.

I like rice milk on my cereal, it tastes exactly the same on cereal (not so good in tea, but then I always drink my tea black anyway even when I wasn't vegan). And I eat Yves cold cuts in sandwiches and tomatoes. In this day and age, you aren't missing out there's lots of great tasting alternatives. And kosher margarine has no dairy but tastes the same (to me, anyway).

It's really not that hard, but if you like eating meat then go right ahead.

Zero As A Limit Sep 13th, 2004 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowbelly
i like the "how can you do that?" response when i tell people i don't eat animals.

i never really know how to answer that. i usually just shrug, but i think to myself, 'i could ask the same of you.'

I actually say that as a response, not in a cheeky way, but to point out the redundancy of such a question.

MetalMilitia Sep 13th, 2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

"Read a book. And then learn to spell."
I did read a book the other day but i doubt it will help me unless your next question is "How does 3Dc compression work?" or "What is a normal map?". And i usually can spell ok but its my day off and i have copious ammounts of weed lyeing about.

Quote:

I thought you were a Brit! You're supposed to be smart.
LoL you've never been to england have you.

Big McLargehuge Sep 13th, 2004 03:26 PM

Grilled portabello mushroom sandwiches are heaven :0

Esuohlim Sep 13th, 2004 05:13 PM

It seems like too much of a chore to be a vegan. What with the the not eating pretty much everything and finding suitable substitutes and blahh... :(

Daphne Sep 13th, 2004 05:18 PM

I don't find it to be a chore, unless I'm at a steakhouse or something, but I can see how people would see it that way. I don't need to only shop at healthfood stores or anything, most of what I eat is at the grocery store.
But it's not for everyone, of course.

Ninjavenom Sep 13th, 2004 05:53 PM

I'm grateful for all the :meat in my life. :D

nothing4buddha Sep 13th, 2004 07:26 PM

being vegan isn't all that hard. rice milk eh? i'll have to try that stuff out :X i drink a lot of silk vanilla soymilk .... it's good stuff :D

Skulhedface Sep 13th, 2004 08:05 PM

I have no issues with vegans or vegetarians, only the militant ones that scream "MEAT IS MURDER" at you.

...vegetables were once alive too...

whoreable Sep 13th, 2004 08:12 PM

i almost have more against the people that dont have any reason at all. If people want to save animals or whatever thats cool with me, just dont give me the bullshit that its so much healthier.

DeadKennedys Sep 13th, 2004 08:20 PM

I'm not here to insult, but what do vegans eat? There are certain necessary elements in dairy and mean products that you cannot obtain by other stuff alone.

hawaiian mage Sep 13th, 2004 08:31 PM

I'm like a wanna-be vegan. I usually don't eat meat or dairy just becuase it tastes really bad and I hate it so much.

But I'm not going to stop eating fudge becuase it has milk as an ingredient. And I still eat seafood and beef becuase it tastes damn good.

I should really feel guilty about the beef. Those cows have some of the most inhumane living conditions to get the meat right, have their heads crushed with sledgehammers, and eat enough food to feed a family for months. But it's just hard to care when no one else notices and the meatballs make the speghetti so much better.

Quote:

I'm not here to insult, but what do vegans eat? There are certain necessary elements in dairy and mean products that you cannot obtain by other stuff alone.
There's nothing inside meat or dairy that didn't first come from a plant. There's nothing in meat or dairy you can't get elsewhere. Just dairy is animal produced liquid food for developing young, and meat is pure stuff-that-animals-are-made-of, so you're body can skip a few digestion steps when it eats this stuff instead of plants.

Hobo Renee Sep 13th, 2004 08:35 PM

What are these certain things that you can only get from meat and dairy?

Protein, Vitamin B? All can be found in soy products and complete proteins such as beans and rice.

Calcium? Found in such vegetables as spinach and broccolli.

Everything that you get from non-vegan foods can be found in vegetables since the cows and their milk and the chickens and their eggs all lived off of plant life before you ate them. And yes I know that cows and chickens have different diatary needs than humans so don't give me that jive.

And I'm a vegetarian not a vegan. But I gotta represent fo' mah homies.

hawaiian mage Sep 13th, 2004 08:42 PM

Renee! We made the same post! High five!

Also, the correct answer was that there are things you can only get from eating vegitables. Since animals use different materials in their bodies and excrete the ones they don't use you don't get everything your own specific body needs in sufficient proportions! The american solution is to make up for the difficiency by eating more, and we all know how THAT worked out.

mubert Sep 13th, 2004 09:14 PM

Vegans cant even eat bread without having to substitute an ingredient...I could become a vegetarian, and live of pasta, but I could never step into a vegan's shoes..in daphne's (or buddha's) words, I'm a big fan of cow tit milk.

Anonymous Sep 13th, 2004 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mubert
Vegans cant even eat bread without having to substitute an ingredient...I could become a vegetarian, and live of pasta, but I could never step into a vegan's shoes..in daphne's (or buddha's) words, I'm a big fan of cow tit milk.

From the looks of your picture, you're big fan of anything deep fried that can shove into your gaping piehole. Go eat some more Twinkies tubby.

bigtimecow Sep 13th, 2004 09:22 PM

vegans are for faggots

AChimp Sep 13th, 2004 09:41 PM

Cows killed by headcrushing aren't destined for human consumption (probably dog food). The more trauma the animal experiences, the lower the quality of the meat, therefore the lower the price they can sell it for. A single bullet in the brain or a guillotine is better.

Terra Sep 13th, 2004 09:54 PM

Yeah but just before they go down the last chute they are aware of what is happening, or at least know "something" is going to happen to them and they flood their system with adrenalin. This is what goes into the meat (along with the steroids and crap they have been fed since birth) and ultimately poisons us. Slaughterhouses give off certain odors that alert cattle, pigs and chickens to danger.

That and besides the fact that we are eating flesh that we really don't need to eat and probably shouldn't for our longevity.

mubert Sep 13th, 2004 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max
From the looks of your picture, you're big fan of anything deep fried that can shove into your gaping piehole. Go eat some more Twinkies tubby.

:becomefatgoth

Ninjavenom Sep 13th, 2004 10:15 PM

I don't smoke, i don't drink, and i don't do drugs, i'd like to pretend my voracious appetite for red meat won't end my life 30 years too early, dammit. If it was good enough for Lief Erikkson, it's good enough for me. :posh

PS rape and pillaging excluded. o .o