I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   the love keeps coming new splatter house planed (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69699596)

LordSappington Jan 11th, 2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomboid (Post 709784)
Also, I kinda wish they'd had more horror elements and less "LOVECRAFT IS FUCKING METAL!!!!", but even that's kinda minor.

I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, especially in Horror, but it's overplayed. It takes a really great writer to make Lovecraftian elements legitimately scary, and not just annoying.
Also, I've been wanting to play this for a while. Probably going to wait until it's cheaper at the local Gamestop.

Sacks Jan 11th, 2011 02:00 AM

I'm not really familiar with Lovecraft. What is some of the stuff that is influenced by that in this game?

OxBlood Jan 12th, 2011 02:14 AM

The whole Dr. West-thing is Lovecraft, based on Reanimator (the Lovecraft story, not the movie) and combined with the Charles Dexter Ward-story, the the-world-is-ending-in-a-demonic-eclipse-thing at the end, some of the cross-dimensional ideas, the fleshy-ness of some enemies or locations...many things can be traced back to Lovecraft, though I´m sure he didn´t invent them, he just made them popular and still does to this day.
That´s all I can think of right now as I´m in a hurry...

And concerning scary...I think it´s hard to make anything that L. made really scary these days since his stories just aren´t scary, just mildly unsettling and very atmospheric but I agree that you can´t just throw that stuff into a game and expect it to be awesome. Most references got a smile out of me but not much more.

Zomboid Jan 12th, 2011 03:00 AM

Actually, that Call of Cthulhu game that came out a while ago was pretty damn creepy. It's just that a lot of metal bands kinda take a lot of Lovecraft names, stories, and imagery and put it into their stuff, usually with pretty lame results. This kinda did the same thing, though it wasn't all bad.

There's a couple parts where you see Cthulhu faces and shit like that. Also, West says Shub-Niggurath and Cthulhu at some point. Other than that, you're right.

OxBlood Jan 12th, 2011 05:11 AM

I need to rephrase that. The stories themselves are not scary but the situations the characters are in are. L´s "problem" is the way he tells his stories. I honestly wonder if anyone ever thought his stuff was scary, giving everything away in the first sentece every time...I mean I enjoy the hell out of the things he wrote (though I hardly ever read them in english, it´s a little too much for me in the evenings) but still, the stories themselves don´t hold much tension.

Nick Jan 12th, 2011 02:26 PM

It's more of a homage to Lovecraft rather than Splatterhouse taking the source material seriously. Also all these references were in the original storyline as well.

Dimnos Jan 12th, 2011 03:33 PM

Reading Lovecraft is more like "Whaaaaaat!?! Sucks for you dude."

OxBlood Jan 13th, 2011 03:34 AM

To me, reading Lovecraft is like getting comfy in a huge leather armchair in front of a nice warm fireplace while there´s a thunderstorm tearing up the countryside outside my imaginitive mansion and watching some poor slob getting ripped apart by some otherworldly nightmare outside the window. :)

Zomboid Jan 13th, 2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 710433)
It's more of a homage to Lovecraft rather than Splatterhouse taking the source material seriously. Also all these references were in the original storyline as well.

What? REFERENCES, maybe. I don't recall Cthulu's visage being seen in the background, nor did they flat out use the names and terms. Have you played the original games, even? The story was pretty thin in the first two, and the third was still pretty vague. Sacrifices and bringing in elder gods from outer dimensions is a lot more Lovecraftian than the dark stone and Jennifer turning into a monster after a boreworm fucks her up.

And yeah, no shit. My point was only that it's a pretty standard trope these days, and it might've been nice if it was less METAL LOVECRAFT WALLET CHAIN FUCK YEAH and more off-putting horror and ohmygodmyfamilyisdying.

Also, same here, Ox.

edit: I'm glad this game came out. I really am. I've been looking forward to it for yeeeears, and I think Boogie and I are probably the two biggest Splatterhouse fans on this forum, but I think it could've been a bit better. It's still really fun and worth getting, though. Just some minor nitpicks.

LordSappington Jan 13th, 2011 01:03 PM

Lovecraft's works are something you have to kind of dwell on. It's not going to be scary at all if you just pick it up and read it, but if you make sure you're in the right mood, atmosphere, and zone for it, and let it dwell in the back of your mind for a while, it starts to get unsettling.
Also, his stories are incredibly descriptive; it feels like a chore to read if you don't get into it. I think that's one of the reasons there aren't many straight-up Lovecraftian games; you can't just throw Cthulhu into a game and expect it to be scary. It's all very psychological. Amnesia did it very well.

Zomboid Jan 13th, 2011 03:15 PM

Yep. I think I read Dagon when I was all fucked up with the flu and nyquil, and it was awesome. It was the perfect thing to read at the time, and it's always stuck with me. The Temple is another great one.

LordSappington Jan 13th, 2011 03:20 PM

My favorite is The Rats In The Walls. Dagon was also pretty awesome.

Dimnos Jan 13th, 2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OxBlood (Post 710501)
...and watching some poor slob getting ripped apart by some otherworldly nightmare outside the window. :)

Thats the "sucks for you dude." part. :lol

OxBlood Jan 14th, 2011 06:16 AM

Yeah but I thought it deserved to be wrapped in nicer words, that´s all :lol

Guess I should read or listen to Dexter Ward again, very good audiobook, read by "the german voice of Johnny Depp"...of course he speaks 5 other guys too like Christian Bale and shit...just because we only have like 10-15 decent voice actors here :D

kahljorn Jan 16th, 2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Lovecraft's works are something you have to kind of dwell on. It's not going to be scary at all if you just pick it up and read it, but if you make sure you're in the right mood, atmosphere, and zone for it, and let it dwell in the back of your mind for a while, it starts to get unsettling.
Also, his stories are incredibly descriptive

Fathom Zero Jan 16th, 2011 05:19 AM

fckin loved that movie

OxBlood Jan 16th, 2011 05:48 AM

What movie is that? The...blabla of madness?

Fathom Zero Jan 16th, 2011 07:56 AM

IN THE MOUTH OF MIZZADNESS

OxBlood Jan 16th, 2011 10:29 AM

Right, that one movie that I always forget to buy..."die Mächte des Wahnsinns" (the forces of insanity), as it´s called here. Thanks for reminding me, gotta order it somewhere...

Fathom Zero Jan 16th, 2011 11:48 AM

Sam Neill is brilliant in it. I lub 'im.

Zomboid Jan 16th, 2011 09:19 PM

Yeah! Man, that movie was horrifying when I first saw it. That kid on the bike was what done me in, bros.

kahljorn Jan 17th, 2011 03:29 AM

:lol i like how its funny and scary at the same time

HE WONT LET ME OUT MAN in a bill paxton voice

Nick Jan 22nd, 2011 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomboid (Post 710535)
What? REFERENCES, maybe. I don't recall Cthulu's visage being seen in the background, nor did they flat out use the names and terms. Have you played the original games, even? The story was pretty thin in the first two, and the third was still pretty vague. Sacrifices and bringing in elder gods from outer dimensions is a lot more Lovecraftian than the dark stone and Jennifer turning into a monster after a boreworm fucks her up.

And yeah, no shit. My point was only that it's a pretty standard trope these days, and it might've been nice if it was less METAL LOVECRAFT WALLET CHAIN FUCK YEAH and more off-putting horror and ohmygodmyfamilyisdying.

Also, same here, Ox.

edit: I'm glad this game came out. I really am. I've been looking forward to it for yeeeears, and I think Boogie and I are probably the two biggest Splatterhouse fans on this forum, but I think it could've been a bit better. It's still really fun and worth getting, though. Just some minor nitpicks.

Considering it all started at Dr. West's mansion I just assumed that everything had to be tied to some sort of Cthulhu-esque origins. I always thought some of the monster depictions were reminiscent of Lovecraftian horrors.