I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   post your video game collection (pix plz) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697934)

Emu Dec 20th, 2007 12:39 PM

Gamestop will give you as little as they possibly can for any given game. You're better off selling them to independent gamestores or on ebay or something. At Gamestop the return is only like 20% of the value :<

Fathom Zero Dec 20th, 2007 06:12 PM

But they do take them, and sometimes at a loss. They'll take anything, even the Madden 2002's.

Emu Dec 20th, 2007 06:27 PM

Loss, my ass. When you bring in your copies of Madden 2002-2005 and get 50 cents to a dollar in store credit out of it, it just gets you to go spend 50 bucks on the new one. The game trade-in has nothing to do with selling used games but with selling new ones.

By the way, here's a GameStop shopping tip:

When you're buying a used game, ALWAYS ask to 1) see the disc and 2) ask if they have a better copy. They always try to move the shitty, scratched up copies first. This has happened to me at every GameStop I've ever been in, including GameStops in 2 different states, so this isn't just some quirk of the store I happened to be in.

For example, a few weeks ago I bought a used copy of Final Fantasy XII, and they hand me what appeared to be a former rental copy with some nasty scratches on the back and some permanent marker writing on the front (which PISSES ME OFF >: ) so I asked to see another copy and they sigh at me and pull out a nearly flawless disc. Assholes.

Speaking of which, they just released FFXII in greatest hits, so if you've been waiting to get it, now would be the time.

bigtimecow Dec 20th, 2007 06:45 PM

my friend once sold a broken xbox to a gamestop

they didn't check if it worked :lol

oh, and another somewhat related anecdote:
i bought half-life 2 episode one at best buy, installed and registered it, realized i wanted regular half-life 2 so i returned it and got half-life 2 instead.

BTW! i can still play episode one, and whoever buys my used copy can't because i used the registration number. lol

Emu Dec 20th, 2007 07:04 PM

They don't have to check. Here's how it goes.

You sell your X-Box for however much in store credit and buy another system or a game. An X-Box would go for what, maybe 20 bucks? I've never sold a system so I don't know.

Generally when people bring in things for trade in it's because they want something expensive. A new game or a new system. So you use that credit for your new system, and they've just made a sale.

Meanwhile they sell the broken X-Box to some schmuck or some doting grandmother who doesn't know any better. They bring it back and get the typical "Oh no we can only give you store credit for that." So they still technically make a profit off of selling broken merchandise. So they might have lost 40 dollars worth of X-Boxes, but they made money off of the sale of the game you traded your X-Box for as well as the X-Box itself.

Rongi Dec 20th, 2007 09:07 PM

Is getting a slim PS2 worth it? My old one broke and i wanna play guitar hero

MLE Dec 20th, 2007 09:08 PM

way more worth it than a PS3

Girl Drink Drunk Dec 20th, 2007 09:12 PM

If you also want to be able to play Symphony of the Night or any blue-CD games, then yes.

Emu Dec 20th, 2007 09:26 PM

Get one of those white or silver ones. I <3 my silver one.

Fathom Zero Dec 21st, 2007 08:56 PM

So I gave my Wonderswan to Schimid for Christmas.

Emu Dec 21st, 2007 11:28 PM

You asshole.

Emu Dec 29th, 2007 01:56 AM

Why is Valkyrie Profile so FUCKING EXPENSIVE? >:

Girl Drink Drunk Dec 29th, 2007 12:35 PM

MLE Dec 29th, 2007 01:33 PM

Toejam and Earl <3

Rongi Dec 29th, 2007 11:57 PM

so i bought a slim ps2 and it's gr8 :D

WhiteRat Dec 30th, 2007 12:57 PM

Emu Jan 2nd, 2008 10:13 PM

The local K-Mart here is having a game clearance and is selling some rare games for cheap. I picked up Valkyrie Profile 2 and Tales of the Abyss for 15 bucks each. TotA sells for 30-60 dollars on eBay when sealed, so needless to say I bought two :lol

Emu Feb 8th, 2008 12:03 AM

This thread deserves a bump >:

This is a portion of the things I brought back with me from home. It's by no means all of it (and not even all of what I brought back) but here it is anyway. Some of it is also new stuff I've gotten since I last posted ;o All the Dreamcast stuff is new.

Chojin Feb 8th, 2008 02:11 PM

Nice genesis combo, whiterat. I've been trying to find an original genesis console for a while now, but I wanted to combo it with the original sega cd (which sat underneath the system instead of off to the side).

Emu Feb 8th, 2008 04:24 PM

I saw an original one in a pawn shop the other day. If it's not already gone I'm gonna pick it up.

MarioRPG Feb 8th, 2008 04:47 PM

I've never known someone with a sega cd! Neat.

Zomboid Feb 8th, 2008 05:30 PM

I wish I still had my sega and sega cd :( I sold my n64 and goldeneye to a friend for 200 last summer :(

WhiteRat Feb 8th, 2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 530720)
Nice genesis combo, whiterat. I've been trying to find an original genesis console for a while now, but I wanted to combo it with the original sega cd (which sat underneath the system instead of off to the side).

Back when I was a wee lad I had the original Sega Cd. I didn't like the tray loader though. It would always jam on me and then one day it never opened so I dug a hole and buried it in my backyard.

Back when I was living in Japan I traded half of a $15 bottle of sake to a desperate friend for the Genesis, 32X, and Sega Cd. Also included in the bundle were 10 Sega CD games, 2 Arcade Sticks, 2 regular controllers, and 1 6 button controller. Steal of the Century.

Codiekitty Feb 8th, 2008 11:46 PM

Dresser drawer of NES games.

Dresser drawer of SNES games.

Shelf of boxed Genesis games.

Game Boy Advance, and the boxes and tins on the left are full of Game Boy classic and Color games.

Shelves of TurboGrafx and Dreamcast.

My TurboGrafx in its case, and boxes of loose 64 and Genesis games. And a couple DS games I haven't organized yet.

My PC Engine games. A couple of them are sitting with the TurboGrafx games.

PSX. There's more games behind the ones shown. A lot more.

More PSX and DS.

Domestic and Import Saturn games, with Xbox in the back of the bottom row and some DS games.

Some "extra" Saturn and DS games.

Master System box.

Gamecube

PS2

Pile of random games I need to organize. Yes, I have a Super Mario Bros. 2J cart. You can too!

Box of NES games I got in the mail today.

My babies.

My other babies.

I call it my console setup, but you can call it a mess. Man, I didn't even bother to remove that sales receipt from the picture. I think the only consoles I don't have hooked up right now are my Master System and TurboGrafx (even though I have games for it, I don't have an Xbox)

A stack of games I hope to play/beat this year, and my TurboGrafx controller which didn't fit in the case, because I have loose games where the controller is supposed to go.

Emu Feb 8th, 2008 11:59 PM

Good god, I just got my ass kicked.