I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   does anyone still buy cds? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25672)

Rongi Apr 7th, 2007 04:18 PM

does anyone still buy cds?

i do, but sometimes i wonder if it's stupid when i know i could download said cd off soulseek.

most cds i buy the artist is either dead or doesnt record anymore, or its some old foagie way past his prime and he probably doesnt need my 15 bucks anyway.

sloth Apr 7th, 2007 04:43 PM

I tend to buy CDs when the band is pretty small and they'd appreciate the interest, or when the record is great. It's a bit sad to think these new digital releases on itunes or whatever are just a configuration of ones and zeroes. It's all a bit transient, whimsical. Like if everyone decided to delete it, that's it - gone, forever. It's just nice to be able to hold it in your hand I suppose. Maybe art collectors feel the same way - you could have a big old collection of paintings on your computer, but it doesn't compare to having the real thing. But saying that, I buy far less than I used to. I guess t'internet has driven up standards.

Grislygus Apr 7th, 2007 05:30 PM

I'll buy the cd if I'm actually a fan.

BlueOatmeal Apr 8th, 2007 01:57 AM

The only reason I bought The Crane Wife was because my laptop died and I didn't have a cd burner. Plus it was at Starbucks and my friend used his discount.

MarioRPG Apr 8th, 2007 10:15 AM

I'll buy the occasional CD if it's a band I like, such as Richard Cheese.

BlueOatmeal Apr 8th, 2007 01:51 PM

With me being so fucking indie (corporate rock BOOOOOO) I just stand around the local FYE and spout off obscure band names and then never buy anything.

They don't know how fucking awesome I am.

noob3 Apr 8th, 2007 05:52 PM

uh go to a indie cd shop you dumb fuck

<-- i buy cds but i havnt in awhile i think the last cd i bought was i forgot :(

BlueOatmeal Apr 8th, 2007 07:43 PM

The "scene" in Tifton is so "bogus"

Angryhydralisk Apr 10th, 2007 02:59 PM

Looking at the topic title, I was wondering if you were some kind of 8-Track, vinyl, or cassette collector. Jolly good point. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna buy some used cds and save about 20 bucks.

Divisible by Waffle Apr 11th, 2007 08:55 PM

Only if I'm willing to pay $20 or so to basically support the band by giving them 10¢. I'm too poor to afford concert tickets (not to mention, all of my friends suck/live too far away and wouldn't want to go), so it's all I can really do.

Esuohlim Apr 17th, 2007 07:27 PM

I buy CDs because I like having a tangible backup of what I buy in case technology turns against me again :(

FartinMowler Apr 17th, 2007 07:43 PM

Sufjan Stevens...bought online and they send me a CD
The Germans...bought at the show
Rheostatics Tribute CD...bought online that I downloaded and then they also sent me a CD

I buy stuff to support bands or "for a good cause".

mando Apr 18th, 2007 07:26 PM

I buy cds from artists that I respect. The only time I download something is when it's somebody who has enough money as it is, anything from a major, or to see if I want to end up buying the album. Besides, you can't deny the awesome-ness of having all your cds lined up. Any KMFDM fan will agree.

Mockery Apr 18th, 2007 08:06 PM

I like buying CDs. I like having the artwork combined with the music. The new NIN album for example, pretty nifty stuff what with the heat-reactive CD and the nice booklet layout.

Girl Drink Drunk Apr 18th, 2007 11:03 PM

With a record sleeve its artwork you can hang on the wall, like a painting:hypno. That being said, although I prefer buying records (vintage, not re-issued, mind you), I enjoy the (sometimes) additional artwork and other things found in a CD release of an album. I'll buy a CD (brand new) if I've listened to the albums tracks and enjoy it enough and if it's a more recent album.

Protoclown Apr 19th, 2007 01:47 AM

I still buy cds all the time, probably at least one a week or so. I like having something tangible to hold, and I'm really picky about having the album artwork and everything. I know I could just download the shit, but then it'll just sit on my hard drive forever and I'll forget about it, and I tend to lose burn cds pretty easily because I either forget to label them or forget to label the jewel case I put them in.

Deadbolt85 Aug 9th, 2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 488187)
I like buying CDs. I like having the artwork combined with the music. The new NIN album for example, pretty nifty stuff what with the heat-reactive CD and the nice booklet layout.

YES! I totally agree, It's awesome to have the whole package in your hands, plus like you said, sometimes bands will go all out with the packaging and such, like the last Tool record for example.

zeldasbiggestfan Aug 13th, 2007 03:50 PM

I buy CDs alot from a used place we have around my town called Slackers. It has shitloads of used good CDs. Plus its buy 3 get one free.

Also if you listen and have good speakers you can really tell a difference in sound quality. CDs sound alot better than a download, even if its from iTunes or some other big online music store.

Niolani Aug 13th, 2007 04:34 PM

I'll buy CDs only if I'm a really big fan of the groups or singer (NIN for example). But otherwise I'd rather download them. It's the same thing for single I'd rather download it, than paying as much as an album cost for a single CD. I don't care if there are four or five remix on the CD, I just want to listen to the original tune. That's all!

Fathom Zero Aug 13th, 2007 04:53 PM

I buy CDs again because I got tired of deleting hundreds of songs, only to realize I liked 'em and can't find them online anymore.

Goddamn you, internet.

Esuohlim Aug 13th, 2007 05:29 PM

I use http://www.ruckus.com for all my music needs now. You need a .edu email address though so go to college and get educated you slackers because I just downloaded over $1000 worth of albums for free and it's legal :picklehat

:spam

noob3 Aug 13th, 2007 07:45 PM

zbf there is a diffirence in sound quality & mp3s usually have a better quality overall! i'm nto sure what brought you to that conclusion that cds are better, maybe it's what you are using like your sound equipment or whatever

also milhouse u dont need an .edu for soulseek but that's not legal but who gives a fuck

Fathom Zero Aug 13th, 2007 10:09 PM

I beg to differ, bro. The .oggs I rip from my CDs are much higher quality than most .mp3s I've downloaded.

Niolani Aug 13th, 2007 11:37 PM

Another reason why I don't buy CDs: My dad own more than 5,000 vinyl records.

GADZOOKS Aug 13th, 2007 11:49 PM

YOUR DAD SOUNDS LIKEA COOL GUY!