I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I-Mockery Chat (Lube up those lips) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8799)

Emu Sep 29th, 2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 744598)
Y'ever beat Persona 2? :lol

I actually got to literally the very end and stopped for some reason. Should go beat it.

Emu Sep 29th, 2011 01:54 PM

I hate when I sell shit on ebay and people take several days to pay on something they won and then get all uppity about it when you ask them :|

Esuohlim Sep 29th, 2011 02:02 PM

I feel you man, I hate it when I buy shit on ebay and in the end I end up having to pay them

Esuohlim Sep 29th, 2011 02:04 PM

:UPROARIOUSLAUGHTER

By the way, every time Pram Maven posts from now on they're getting dumped in a special thread because I'm sick of this bullshit. The five of you who still give him a hard time will be more than welcome to do all the fighting there

Emu Sep 29th, 2011 02:21 PM

I just realized I've had an account here for 8 years and most of the people posting here are the same folks that were here when I joined. Don't know what to think about that

Rongi Sep 29th, 2011 02:23 PM

Nah dog, we got plenty of new people around here. Kitsa, k0k0, Pentegarn, Thrash0 are all new

Emu Sep 29th, 2011 02:26 PM

Esuohlim you should get on Twin Peaks. And play Deadly Premonition if you haven't. It's 2010's best Twin Peaks Simulator.

Rongi Sep 29th, 2011 02:37 PM

would someone who tends to think david lynch doesn't really have anything to say find twin peaks interesting?

Emu Sep 29th, 2011 02:43 PM

Wellllll

Twin Peaks is a TV series so you're not going to see a lot of the abject weirdness of, say, Eraserhead. There's an actual mystery plot to it and some supernatural stuff in a similar sort of vein to the X-Files at parts. The main reason to watch it is for the extremely eccentric characters and the awesome direction. It influenced a whole lot of shows that came after it and if you like the Simpsons you'll see a lot of stuff they referenced throughout the series.

The first 10 episodes or so basically play out like a soap opera before things go completely batshit in the second season so there's that.

Rongi Sep 29th, 2011 03:02 PM

I don't know when I'll ever have the time to check out Twin Peaks, but I've been curious about it.

David Lynch I've come to feel is kind of a nothing, especially compared to his influences (Bunuel, Jodorowsky, Fellini). Eraserhead isn't really a big deep metaphor for anything, it's Lynch's disturbed meditations on raising a child in an increasingly complex and alienating world. The first time I saw it I was 16 and didn't really know anything about surrealism, so I was like "oh man I have no idea what's going on therefore it must be brilliant!" Now that I "get it", I'm like "oh man this movie really doesn't hold up too well on 2nd viewing".

Rongi Sep 29th, 2011 03:08 PM

That being said, I think his aesthetic is unique and interesting, but I don't think it signifies anything meaningful. Lynch's view of the world is very simple and kind of banal.

Emu Sep 29th, 2011 03:16 PM

I think there's a lot to be enjoyed about Twin Peaks regardless of your opinion of Lynch's other work. Like I was saying, it's a completely different medium than he usually works in, therefore, he has a different audience, a co-director (Mark Frost) and a lot more corporate overhead that keeps him in check. At the very bottom level I think Twin Peaks is worth watching just because of how important it is to all of the television that followed it. I also feel that it mixes the feel of a serious cop drama with a sidelong glance and an ironic tone very nicely. It's a one-of-a-kind show.

HickMan Sep 29th, 2011 03:19 PM

That's always been a show that I wanted to check out-I'll have to download it once I get back to the States. Did it only run for two seasons?

Rongi Sep 29th, 2011 03:21 PM

I think so, yeah

Rongi Sep 29th, 2011 03:22 PM

oh and there was a movie too

Emu Sep 29th, 2011 03:22 PM

It's on Netflix, if you have that. The first season is 10 episodes, the second season is 20.

Emu Sep 29th, 2011 03:23 PM

Also don't buy the DVD set, I hear they cut out the hour-long pilot (which is a really important episode since it sets the tone for the entire rest of the series) and there's a lot of audio fuckups.

Rongi Sep 29th, 2011 03:24 PM

maybe i'll check twin peaks out during my winter break, prob won't have nothin better to do ;(

Emu Sep 29th, 2011 03:26 PM

As much as I like Twin Peaks it's not one of those things where you might actually be retarded if you don't like it. It's like anything Lynch does, it's not for everybody. I say this as someone who watches almost no TV so take that as you will

HickMan Sep 29th, 2011 03:26 PM

Haji sells all kinds of shit on DVD. I once picked up the 'Arnold Schwarzanegger Academy Award Pack'. Now, I'm not sure if he ever got an Oscar...maybe for 'Twins', but still, kind of a funny name. It had every oddball movie he's been in. From classics like 'Total Recall' to some I've never seen. One was called 'Stay Hungry' with Jeff Bridges. You get to see 70s Sally Field's ass, so it's worth a gander.

Maybe I can find 'Twin Peaks' in their Bazaar somewhere. I kind of doubt it, but if they have the entire series of 'Knight Rider/Air Wolf' then I'd say anything's possible.

Emu Sep 29th, 2011 03:28 PM

I find the second season DVDs in the budget rack at basically every dollar store in the States so who knows

Never the first season, weirdly

Kitsa Sep 29th, 2011 03:37 PM

I didn't see it mentioned here but I might as well be a know-it-all ass and let you know the movie's a prequel.

David Lynch sort of falls into the Tim Burton category for me, in that you pretty much know what you're getting.

Kitsa Sep 29th, 2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emu (Post 744642)
I find the second season DVDs in the budget rack at basically every dollar store in the States so who knows

Never the first season, weirdly

I think the 2nd season was pretty much the one where everyone was like "oh, fuck it."

Emu Sep 29th, 2011 03:42 PM

Yeah. From what I understand there was a lot of meddling from the higher-ups in the story and Lynch got kind of fed up with it. Hence the ending.

Rongi Sep 29th, 2011 03:45 PM

I don't really watch anything on TV either, save for Breaking Bad. The Wire, IMO, is probably the best thing to ever air on television. Brilliant on every single level.

Emu, if you like Lynch, and assuming you haven't seen anything by the guys I mentioned before, check out That Obscure Object of Desire, The Discreet Charms of The Bourgeois, The Exterminating Angel, The Holy Mountain and El Topo. All good stuff