I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   My Crazy Dad! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697025)

Jixby Phillips Jul 21st, 2007 03:51 AM

My Crazy Dad!

The first in what I INTEND to be a series. Based on a real guy, and what I'd imagine him to be like if he owned a truck and had a son. A couple of things in this are lifted directly from real life things he has said to me.

executioneer Jul 21st, 2007 04:21 PM

fantastic hahah i love your cameo in thsi

Rongi Jul 21st, 2007 07:33 PM

That was brilliant!

It was really different from your usuall style of humor. Was this based off anything?

Jixby Phillips Jul 22nd, 2007 12:53 AM

Thank you rongi!

This is based on a dude that comes to the theater all the time. He sees every movie, and then walks out and dials 911 and leaves. Specifically, the Luke Skywalker line, the Debbie Harry/Madonna line, and screaming SHIT because I asked for 25 more cents were completely real things that he has said to me in real life. Everything else I made up.

Jixby Phillips Jul 22nd, 2007 12:54 AM

whoops forgot to thank willie! WILLIE you should have asked me a question to answer! I would have thanked you easier!

haha just joshin thanks a lot willie you're a real pal!

MattJack Jul 23rd, 2007 05:29 AM

I actually laughed out loud a few times, that was great!

The best part was when he rolled down the window and called the church a cock sucker :lol

The movie was awesome too :lol

I hope you make a book of these

noob3 Jul 24th, 2007 11:41 AM

i like how he drives a toyota truck

the king of all trucks

the man has taste

Esuohlim Jul 24th, 2007 03:22 PM

I loved this, Jixby. "Catch you two lovebirds later" and "SHIT!" after seeing Jesus cracked me up. Keep it up!

Shyandquietguy Jul 24th, 2007 07:33 PM

Jixby, this was awesome. :)

Jixby Phillips Jul 24th, 2007 09:10 PM

Thanks fellas!

I would say thank you better but I am about to split on a road trip, woah! See you two lovebirds later haha

Jixby Phillips Jul 25th, 2007 10:52 PM

I'm back!

lets try this again

[font size=7]THANK YOU[/font]

Jixby Phillips Jul 25th, 2007 10:52 PM

Great!

I DID A GREAT JOB

noob3 Jul 26th, 2007 04:23 PM

it wasn't that great

Dr. V Jul 30th, 2007 03:04 AM

I loved that. That luke skywalker thing was gold. And the dog having human eyes, where did that come from?

Jixby Phillips Jul 30th, 2007 05:23 AM

Dog having human eyes was a thought I had when I saw a giant movie display for the SHAGGY DOG remake.

I thought, "THAT DOG HAS HUMAN EYES." and then I thought "IT HAS TIM ALLEN'S EYES" and then I grunted. It was great.

Dr. V Jul 30th, 2007 11:32 PM

what about ralph nig letter g er?

Jixby Phillips Jul 31st, 2007 04:49 AM

This guy is basically so scrambled he has no concept of chronology; he'd usually ask us if we were playing movies that have long since been out of theaters. Hostel, Psycho, Platoon, and Star Wars have all been requested by him. So I figure that probably extends into current events and he still holds onto his grudge with Ralph Nader for making seat belts mandatory in cars.

When I wrote that part, I for some reason thought of another incident that happened with some other batshit crazy people who used to come in. They were a husband/wife team of heroin addicts from new york, and they were both anciently old. Dealing with them was always a nightmare because the husband would do all the talking, and he had a habit of just dropping out of reality and just staring at you for about a minute before answering or doing anything. One slow weekday night I was working concession and I asked if he wanted butter on his popcorn. He took an abnormally long time to answer, even for him, which was fine because they were the only customers I had at this red-hot moment, and his wife suddenly got really upset, as if she'd been needled into getting ridiculously angry, and she shouted, way too loud and almost border-line crying, "WELL, ARE YOU GONNA ANSWER THE MAN OR SHOULD I JUST GET ON THE FLOOR AND JUST N1GGER MYSELF RIGHT HERE??"

30 seconds after his wife yelled at him, he answered my question. They sat on a bench in the lobby for 45 minutes for no reason, and went into their movie way late. About a half hour after that, he came back and asked for a receipt, which I couldn't get him because it had been well over an hour since I served him.

So yeah, Ralph Nader and the N-word were both on my mind! It seemed like a match made in heaven.

Grislygus Jul 31st, 2007 02:53 PM

Make some more, dammit

kahljorn Jul 31st, 2007 08:02 PM

these remind me of my girlfriend's dad if he was actually insane instead of just angry!

Chojin Aug 2nd, 2007 10:38 PM

this is probably the best thing I've seen in months

EndersGame Aug 2nd, 2007 11:50 PM

Hmm, I would try and clean up the dialogue a bit, its choppy and it seems a little forced. Understanding of course that he's hopelessly insane, he still needs to make sense to himself. Otherwise a decent read.

Fathom Zero Aug 3rd, 2007 02:24 AM

Well I found it a classy read!

Esuohlim Aug 3rd, 2007 02:42 AM

Haha also "crystal meth and hangin' brain" :lol

Guitar Woman Aug 3rd, 2007 03:30 AM

This is awesome

Jixby Phillips Aug 3rd, 2007 05:25 AM

Thanks everyone! I started drawing a lot this summer to impress girls at work more or less, and I'm glad it actually lead to me making a comic like this. I seriously haven't drawn a lengthy comic adventure like this since grade 6, but they were awful and always about beavis-and-butt-head-esque SLACKER DUDE types, because in 6th grade I was obsessed with a fantasy that I was a member of generation X :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndersGame (Post 498435)
Hmm, I would try and clean up the dialogue a bit, its choppy and it seems a little forced. Understanding of course that he's hopelessly insane, he still needs to make sense to himself. Otherwise a decent read.

I appreciate your taking the time to give me constructive criticism, but I should say that the dialogue is completely accurate when you compare it to the real guy this is based on. I know that that might not make it any better for the vast majority of people who read this comic and never met him, but it makes it better for me, and I'm really the person I care about most.