I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Vonnegut (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218)

!!!! Feb 3rd, 2003 02:41 PM

Vonnegut

:love

sadie Feb 3rd, 2003 03:10 PM

:love

Jixby Phillips Feb 3rd, 2003 04:19 PM

CAN YOU RECOMEND A PARTICULAR BOOK? I WILL BUY IT FROM THE INTERNET IF YOU DO :x

sadie Feb 3rd, 2003 04:54 PM

if you haven't read slaughterhouse five, you should start there, i'd say.

mburbank Feb 3rd, 2003 04:56 PM

Sirens of Titan blew my wee mind. That was the first one I read. Cat's Cradle is damn fine. For a compketely different style try God Bless You Mr. Rosewater, and for some of the funnyest stuff BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS although it's not a great book.

MrAdventure Feb 3rd, 2003 05:07 PM

BLUEBEARD >:

Jixby Phillips Feb 4th, 2003 04:12 AM

DID HE WRITE JURRASIC PARK??

mburbank Feb 4th, 2003 12:14 PM

The Book or the Movie?

Les Waste Feb 5th, 2003 12:00 PM

THE MUSICAL :rolleyes

cenamalo Feb 6th, 2003 08:36 AM

i read almost all of his novels and the short story collection "welcome to the monkey house" (not that good) but i would have to recommend slaughterhouse-five and cat's cradle
if you like funny war novels then there's always catch22 (but the movie SUX ASS)

Zbu Manowar Feb 13th, 2003 01:15 AM

I'll back Slaughterhouse-Five, definitely one of his finest works.

Player Piano isn't that bad but it's before he went nuts and started writing in short paragraphs. He actually writes like a normal fucking human being and it's a bit more discreet and I find a much better read. You're allowed time to follow a narrative and the irony within, not just a bit of rambling which he did later on. Not that I mind. Mother Night is the same way except it's somewhat forgettable. The movie sucks more, the book you can't go that wrong with.

Slapstick is downright weird. Deadeye Dick isn't half bad, it's 'everything and the kitchen sink' weirdness wise. Galapagos I can't remember a damn thing about it except it was too long.

And one last thing: I started reading Vonnegut long ago with these handy Laurel editions that actually look like paperbacks. Nowadays they're putting out these 'extra large' editions that see to have larger typefaces and are twice as much as the ones I used to collect. Any reason why, besides to gouge the consumer? I mean, shit, most of Vonnegut's work post-Mother Night is large-print and fairly easy to read even to the legally blind!

unclehobart Feb 13th, 2003 09:19 AM

Cats Cradle is also top notch Vonnegut. I just reread that one a month ago.

Zbu Manowar Feb 13th, 2003 10:30 AM

Is the way Cat's Cradle supposed to remind one of the Bible? You know, with the dozens of tiny chapters?

unclehobart Feb 13th, 2003 10:32 AM

Probably... Either that or he was just drinking heavily then.

Zbu Manowar Feb 13th, 2003 10:35 AM

Considering that was the style he adapted for all his books from then on, I would say his diet includes cheap wine and dancing with Mr. Brownstone on a daily basis.

Good shit, through. Still gotta pick up Sirens of Titan.

Jixby Phillips Mar 8th, 2003 05:37 AM

I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE PINBALL MACHINE

kellychaos Mar 8th, 2003 12:42 PM

... and so it goes. :/

jewishcarpenter Apr 12th, 2003 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadie
if you haven't read slaughterhouse five, you should start there, i'd say.

that's what i started with, it's a good way to start, just like starting out your day with Quaker Oats. then i read Hocus Pocus. Me likey.