I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What are you playing right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697399)

Zomboid May 16th, 2012 02:29 AM

I like 'em both and the two of you are douchebags.

Esuohlim May 16th, 2012 03:26 AM

Mother 3 is a snooze. It never really took off, and it felt like my hand was being held the whole time.

Mad Melvin May 16th, 2012 04:38 AM

I have no idea what Mother 3 is, so i'm just gonna assume Milhouse is pissed at his mom for holding his hand too much. Yeah, you tell that bitch.

Esuohlim May 16th, 2012 03:22 PM

I was coddled by my three moms :tear

Phoenix Gamma May 16th, 2012 03:29 PM

I bought an SNES at a local shop that specializes in old games. Got Zelda, Madden 94, Yoshi's Island, and Pilotwings. Madden and Pilotwings were free.

Sadly, there's some graphical hiccups. Some weird lines showing up on a few sprites. It's playable, but annoying. Cleaning isn't helping, so I had to order a new motherboard :/

Dimnos May 16th, 2012 11:36 PM

:lol

Guitar Woman May 17th, 2012 04:58 AM

I'm going to spew some of mah opinyuns on MGS4, guys.

This game really, really likes following up genuinely good gameplay segments with horrible fucking shitty awful terrible shit. South America gets followed by that fuckawful Gecko escape corridor and that completely retarded Matrix-sequel fight between Vamp and Raiden, who I swear to god buttfucked during this scene. Crying Wolf and most of Shadow Moses get followed by the fight with Vamp, who you can literally one-shot with the rail gun or otherwise take down with a single clip if your aim's alright,
Spoilers!

and the REX escape sequence, which is by far the worst section of gameplay yet. The game started out really good, too, I'm disappointed more and more and it feels like the first two chapters are awesome on accident.

Another thing; was it really necessary to have the B&Bs all writhe around going batshit in their stupid skintight bodysuits before putting up completely ineffectual boss fights in which you basically execute them? That's how these after-fights come across to me, as executions, because short of being completely retarded there is no way to lose them. This is in poor enough taste by itself, but their backstories just make the entire thing a joke because they're stupid and ridiculous. I feel more remorse for killing the faceless PMC and FROG troops than I do for killing any of the crazy chicks in the robot suits. Furthermore, I'm not sure it's good design to have a large 8-legged mech that leaps around on walls hold its rider up by the neck.

Also, why the fuck does Vamp keep his knife sheathed right in front of his dick? Is it even possible to make homosexual symbolism more overt than it is between Vamp and Raiden? I feel like I should stick a Brazzers logo on every screenshot that contains the two of them.

It's probably the only MGS sequel I've genuinely enjoyed, though.

Guitar Woman May 18th, 2012 04:28 PM

Oh, and I've been playing FF7 again.

Going through it as an adult with the benefit of not being a retarded 9-year-old, I can safely say that it's... fucking good. It's really good. Brilliant, even.

What with the whole stigma and hatedom for this game on the internet, as well as all of its really terrible sequels, I completely forgot that I ever loved it. I'm glad I bought it again because it's stolen more of my hours than anything else on the PS3 and reminded me why I even like video games in the first place.

It's also too easy and the chocobo sidequest is a pile of shit, but I'm fine with that.

Mad Melvin May 18th, 2012 04:36 PM

I actually liked FF8 more than 7. Granted, I only played about half of FF7 before I got bored. FF8 is retarded beyond words, but I still like it for some reason.

MarioRPG May 18th, 2012 05:59 PM

Effin GTA: San Andreas homey! Grove St. for life, yo.
Maybe I'll play my Wii again some day.

Guitar Woman May 18th, 2012 06:41 PM

FF8 has really good music and you can break the battle system horribly, so I liked it too. I stopped when I couldn't figure out where to go after you get to fly around in Balamb Garden, but fortunately it has the best Let's Play ever so I just read that instead. http://www.nastyprisms.com/temp/cache/lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VIII/Update%201-1/index.html

It's a hell of a lot better than FF9, for sure.

kahljorn May 18th, 2012 10:44 PM

the chocobo sidequest in 7 was awesome. Where yo uget to breed and race your own chocobos for prizes?
prizes?
breeding chocobos!/
what

OxBlood May 23rd, 2012 03:24 AM

Played a lot of Diablo 3 of course, got my copy of Ghost Recon Future Soldier yesterday and Dragon´s Dogma will arrive today soooo...a lot to do and almost no time for it...ah well.

Ghost Recon for me in a nutshell: Good, but Vegas 2 was better as it is still my benchmark for satisfying and customizable co-op shooting.

Mad Melvin May 23rd, 2012 07:55 AM

I'm thinking of getting Max Payne 3. Has anyone tried it yet?

10,000 Volt Ghost May 23rd, 2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 759096)
FF8 has really good music and you can break the battle system horribly, so I liked it too. I stopped when I couldn't figure out where to go after you get to fly around in Balamb Garden, but fortunately it has the best Let's Play ever so I just read that instead. http://www.nastyprisms.com/temp/cach...1-1/index.html

It's a hell of a lot better than FF9, for sure.

Ff8 triple triad its the bomb too.

Nick May 23rd, 2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Melvin (Post 759165)
I'm thinking of getting Max Payne 3. Has anyone tried it yet?

It was awesome. Look who is in it.

Gix May 23rd, 2012 01:14 PM

Triple Triad-the ff8 card game...i spent more time playing that then the game itself
loved ff7
playing D3 and Valkyria Chronicles

OxBlood May 24th, 2012 05:31 AM

Soooo...Dragons Dogma. Pretty Awesome. I play as a Mage (of course) and this is one of those games where Magic feels really powerful and impactful, even with my puny lightningbolts and fireballs, I canīt wait to see the more powerful versions...Iīm just a sucker for lightning, donīt know why.

Movement is also very satisfying since you can climb most things.

What really suprised me is this: This is a Wester-style RPG done by Capcom and they got it right...itīs just...just listen, this is the main theme.

darkvare May 24th, 2012 02:43 PM

i played the demo my favorite part was grabbing my pawns and throwing them at the chimera

Dr. Boogie May 24th, 2012 08:38 PM

I've heard there's no fast-travel system, so you wind up running back and forth across mostly empty cities and countrysides. Is that the case?

Also, I heard the endless chattering of the NPCs gets really annoying, which it definitely did in the demo.

OxBlood May 25th, 2012 01:46 AM

There are teleport-stones but they only transport you back to the capitol and one other marked location. But they are one-time items and one costs around 10.000 Gold as far as I can tell.

The traveling is part of the gameplay, using daylight to get through the more dangerouse areas, finding shelter for the night.

The constant chattering can get annoying but you can basically tell your main pawn hey dude, sit down, we need to talk, and he'll ask you how you want him to behave, including the frequency and tone in which he comments on things and how high his urge to pick up items is and so on.

Fathom Zero May 26th, 2012 10:19 PM

Playing a lot of DOTA 2. If I had a gun, I would've shot my computer by now.

Guitar Woman May 27th, 2012 07:29 AM

Resistance 3. Game developer protip: if you're going to make a shooter without regenerating health, great! You just have to remember to actually put medkits in the game.

Other than that it's pretty fun.

Dr. Boogie May 27th, 2012 12:10 PM

Playing Rage. The character models and animations are great, but everything else looks like crap. And it's 20gb to install, so I can't figure out what's taking up all that extra space. Plus, I can't help but notice how everything the game does was done better in Borderlands.

OxBlood May 31st, 2012 09:41 AM

60hrs into Dragons Dogma. While far from perfect with the clunky menu-system and occasional technical problems (pop-ins, framerate-drops, etc.), this is still the best RPG I´ve played in the last few years.

The combat is fluid, the character-progression is immensly satisfying, the pawn-system is good, the story is inspired if poorly presented, the world is beautiful, the whole game immerses the player in a very world that is neither too dark, nor too japanese, it strikes a very good balance between western culture and japanese game systems.

You will find almost no humorous dialogue here, no silly out-of-place-people and the move to make the gameworld a simple Duchy instead of a Kingdom is simple but very effective, it makes the scale of the world and land feel more accurate (because let´s face it, Cyrodiil in Oblivion is no Province with no fricking Emperor, it´s a small valley with a few houses).

All of the classes have their own unique feel to it, the Magic Archer plays kind of like a Strider but not quite, same with the Mystic Knight and the Fighter, they all share certain moves and elements but they each different enough to warrant many class-changes or playthroughs with NG+

There´s a shitload of quests (you get the 100 DLC-Quest-Bullshit Capcom pulled for free, in Germany at least), there´s tons of places to wander to because there´s no real fast-travel system in place, at least not one the player can use all the time and the game has the most beautiful.

It combines the impactful combat of Amalur with the world and feel of Dark Souls without being as unforgiving, it throws big enemies at you at every corner, all of which require you to adapt your strategy (though a Tornado is always a viable answer to these problems).

And what´s important: Accomplishing something here FEELS like you actually accomplished something. Every piece of loot is something you worked for, every Class-up brings with it the want to get back to the city to get new and better skills but hey, you´re somewhere out in the mountains, fighting Harpies and on your way back you might encounter a Golem or you might not make it before nightfall and if you´re stuck in the woods by then, you can´t see a thing which means you also won´t see the Chimera behind the tree over there and HEY, Undead Warriors and Mages join the party...

You get my drift, I suppose. When you finally get back to the Castle, you feel like you really experienced something on your way home and you earned all those new skills and items you then improve at the Smithy.

All in all, this is my personal game of the year.

Guitar Woman Jun 2nd, 2012 10:58 AM

Final Fantasy 5!

I've played this before (although not very far, about to the desert) but I never realized just how badly you could break the game if you picked the right classes. I never thought to touch Monk because Blackbelts were awful in FF1, but here they hit twice for decent damage (200 total on a good day), get a freebie counter attack about half the time when something hits them, and have a move called Buildup that doubles their damage pretty much for free; the attacks you get from this can crit on top of that, and Monks crit a lot, so by the time I got to the third boss I accidentally one-shot it with a 192/400 damage attack. I think it had like 575 health.

This is not mentioning how you can level your mage classes up further than they'll need to be for like 5 hours in the very first dungeon, then turn them into paladins or thiefwizards or whatever. And Blue Magic is, as always, a freight train with a cowcatcher made out of chainsaws.

I don't know why, but I always get immense satisfaction from breaking JRPGs like this. I think it's the main reason I liked FF8.

Mad Melvin Jun 4th, 2012 04:35 PM

Max Payne 3

This is the only shooter you will ever need. Amazing level design, perfect controls, gory and oh so satisfying shooting the fuck out of people, plot involving heavy drinking and people getting the fuck shot out of them, tits and an awesome soundtrack.

There are some nitpicky shit I could mention, but i'm not going to. Could be the game of the year for me, unless the forthcoming XCOM remake (or re-imagining wtf) is everything it's supposed to be.

kahljorn Jun 4th, 2012 04:53 PM

my blackbelts were awesome in ff1 and almost always did the most dmg on my team

double and triple hitting ?

OxBlood Jun 5th, 2012 09:00 AM

Finished Dragons Dogam, on to NewGame+ with all my stuff and a lot of slow walking and taking in of the sights :)

I almost want to buy the game again for the PS3 :)

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 6th, 2012 02:45 PM

:wank

Jake has a hurricane DDT move

Zomboid Jun 6th, 2012 03:45 PM

Did you see the Castlevania: LOD 2 trailer? Preeeetty bitchin'.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 6th, 2012 03:58 PM

I'm pumped as shit about that too. I almost hope you still play as gabriel....possibly alucard though(guy in white at the end of the trailer)

Zomboid Jun 6th, 2012 04:04 PM

YES, I KNOW WHO ALUCARD IS, THANK YOU.

Dimnos Jun 6th, 2012 05:38 PM

God damn it. Now i HAVE to finish the first one. :\

Zomboid Jun 6th, 2012 06:43 PM

It's worth it for the last couple levels and ending, braw.

MarioRPG Jun 6th, 2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 759399)
Final Fantasy 5!

I always love hearing peoples experience of playing this one, I love it. It might be among the first that I played through to the final boss. And I wasn't smart enough to use the X-Fight for crazy damage or whatever. Also defeating the Crystal Dragon was very gratifying.

e: I hadn't seen anything of RE6 until that and it looks wild. Very different, but I'd get that no question.
e2: Been playing Psychonauts because of the Humble Bundle. And Limbo!

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 7th, 2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomboid (Post 759564)
YES, I KNOW WHO ALUCARD IS, THANK YOU.

I'M NOT SURE IF THAT ACTUALLY IS ALUCARD OR NOT. WISHFUL THINKING

Zomboid Jun 7th, 2012 10:01 PM

PS HE'S NOT A GUY IN WHITE HE HAS WHITE HAIR

zerothree Jun 7th, 2012 10:22 PM

I didn't really care for Lords of Shadow, so I'll pass on the sequel, but I sort of want to check out the 3DS Castlevania. As far as I can tell it's totally just Castlevania 3 but plays like yet another Devil May Cry/God of War clone... that's a sidescroller.

I"m pretty much sold on any sidescroller that comes out now. Thankfully "retro" and indie games have brought back a lot of the old staples from the 8 and 16 bit days and made them original and innovative again. I'd love to see a new console sidescroller come out with a huge budget just to see what can be still done.

Oh, by the way, it's totally Alucard.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 7th, 2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomboid (Post 759609)
PS HE'S NOT A GUY IN WHITE HE HAS WHITE HAIR

What i meant

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerothree (Post 759611)
I didn't really care for Lords of Shadow, so I'll pass on the sequel, but I sort of want to check out the 3DS Castlevania. As far as I can tell it's totally just Castlevania 3 but plays like yet another Devil May Cry/God of War clone... that's a sidescroller.

I"m pretty much sold on any sidescroller that comes out now. Thankfully "retro" and indie games have brought back a lot of the old staples from the 8 and 16 bit days and made them original and innovative again. I'd love to see a new console sidescroller come out with a huge budget just to see what can be still done.

Oh, by the way, it's totally Alucard.

This makes me want to get a 3ds real fucking bad.

Fathom Zero Jun 9th, 2012 04:04 AM

6 games of this shit

Then, as soon as TEAM exists,

I am formaldehyde and Pink Gabriel, respectively.

Every game is a landslide - there are no close games. Stupid.

Phoenix Gamma Jun 14th, 2012 01:26 AM

I've been playing lots of Gravity Rush. That game is just charming as fuck, and the gravity mechanic is really cool. The combat is pretty unpolished though, and they should have added more collectibles and moves. Everything else is fantastic though. I really adore Sony's JapanStudio.

Guitar Woman Jun 25th, 2012 04:19 AM

oh god I finally FUCKING FINALLY won a Third Strike match

jesus CHRIST

OxBlood Jun 25th, 2012 06:43 AM

Hours and hours of Rune Factory Oceans, I fucking love Harvest Moon and RF.

Fathom Zero Jun 25th, 2012 08:23 AM

Lost four games of DOTA in a row.

People are fucking retarded early in the morning.

darkvare Jun 25th, 2012 02:54 PM

you are starting to sound like kahl when he looses a match of LoL
i've been getting my matches in Ultimate marvel and street fighter X tekken i also played dragons dogma and got till the cockatrice and then i had to return it to the video store

Mad Melvin Jun 25th, 2012 04:26 PM

Day Z Mod for ArmA II. Shit is tight.

Fathom Zero Jun 25th, 2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkvare (Post 759914)
you are starting to sound like kahl when he looses a match of LoL

Because every time you lose, it's an hour of your life that has disappeared into the ether.

Guitar Woman Jun 26th, 2012 11:46 AM

Well, it does the same thing when you win.

Also, Final Fantasy 13 plays like Chrono Trigger for retards. I kind of like it.

The story is sorta interesting but very badly written; about one in three cutscenes makes me facepalm at some point, and reading the Datalog is absolutely required to comprehend what's happening. fal'cie? l'cie? Sanctum? Pulse? What the fuck am I listening to and why are there so many apostrophes?

Edot:
This game seems to be so badly written that it loops around to become interesting again if you take a step back and consider how fucked up all the characters are really acting; I'm enjoying the game better by assuming that most of them are mentally ill to varying degrees (or in Snow's case just retarded fucking assholes who date high-school girls).

People keep saying that Lightning is just femme-Cloud but she's really more like Solid Snake, a hot-shit adrenaline junkie soldier who is generally incapable of functioning without being in battle all the time, both because she needs the rush and because it's all she knows. Right after she decides to just assault Sanctum headquarters, the loading screen's recap says something along the lines of "With no clues to follow and time running out, she's made Eden her target. Having a target is simple; having a target is something she understands." Which, to me, implies that she doesn't know how to deal with problems in ways other than killing them. I really liked that moment when she decides, "fuck it, fuck Cocoon, fuck the fal'Cie, fuck my Focus, and fuck the l'Cie rules; I'm just going to go up there and wreck the shit of every motherfucker who's crossed me." She's essentially doomed no matter what, possibly to a fate worse than death, but also happens to be a walking magical nuke, so she uses that to lash out in anger at whatever's there. It's something I personally would want to do in that situation, it felt like a very human reaction.

I'm finding her general behavior more and more distraughtening as time goes on, especially the way she doesn't attempt to discourage Hope from going after Snow for revenge; she knows full well that the main reason he's following her is to get strong enough to kill him, and she doesn't care - she gives him what he wants. The way that she doesn't seem to see anything bad about that means there's something wrong with her. Hope is 14 years old. He's a confused, pissed-off teenager with selfish, reckless, horrible, and above all completely misinformed motives, and encouraging and training him to murder someone (her brother-in-law, no less) is not good guardian behavior; something like that has a high probability of completely ruining his life and/or driving him crazy. You can already see it starting in a bit after Light begins bonding with him, and Hope develops this creepy, creepy fixation on a memento jackknife she gives to him. He pulls it out and bares the blade whenever he's having a hard time dealing with something (which happens in every cutscene), and then he just stares at it while he talks; it's some fucking serial killer shit. Lightning seems at least partially creeped out every time he does it, but she's not stopping him or going "dude, you're acting fucking creepy. not cool" and taking the knife away, she's enabling him to be a crazy fuck. I guess she figures that since they're either going to die within the week (or more likely before the day is over), get encased in crystal for eternity or turn into zombies, Hope's future mental health doesn't matter, as long as he's an effective sidekick until everything is over. From where I'm standing, Lightning and Hope have an incredibly sick and mutually selfish relationship, even with the warm and fuzzy bonding scenes; they've been using each other since they teamed up, and they're exacerbating each other's shit big time. I don't know if the game intended for me to think this or if it's going to follow it up, but I really hope that's the case because it's damned interesting and tragic and I've had a genuine emotional response to it (creeped the fuck out).

Anyway, 10 bucks for this game was a steal, even if the only good parts of the story are there completely on accident. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a new Final Fantasy so much.

Dr. Boogie Jun 26th, 2012 11:27 PM

Tried the demo for Spec Ops. Seemed like a perfectly pedestrian cover-based shooter set in the Middle East, yet people are claiming it's a great and unique game. I guess it opens up more in the full game?

darkvare Jun 29th, 2012 10:17 PM

monolith is making a MOBA for consoles with lord of the rings characters now i can be one of thosse assholes that always says this games are better on pc :D

Guitar Woman Jul 1st, 2012 12:41 AM

hahaha oh god I completely regret trying to take this game seriously after Palumpolum

The sad part is that you can see a great story trying to get out, but ultimately floundering and suffocating underneath awful writing. It feels like they turned in the first draft of a script and then nobody bothered to send it back for editing.

Shit also got fucking hard; the mid-game trash mobs are capable of completely flattening you if you don't take buffs, status effects and staggering serious as a heart attack. Final Fantasy hasn't been this mean since the NES, it's wonderful.

Mad Melvin Jul 1st, 2012 04:58 AM

Still playing Day Z. It's a wonderful study of human behaviour. For those of you, who don't know what i'm talking about, Day Z is a free modification for ArmA II. It's in alpha stage still, but completely playable and has skyrocketed the sales of ArmA II.

The idea of the mod is, that you have about 250 square kilometers of post-zombie apocalypse world to explore. If you ever played any of the Stalker games, it pretty much looks like that. There are zombies everywhere and they are hella dangerous. The only goal you have is to survive. You scavenge for supplies and weapons, and if you are lucky, you might even find a vehicle. Everything in the game is made in the terms of realism. You can brake your bones, bleed out, pass out from dehydration, panic etc. and day and night change in real time. You don't have a map of the area, but you can find a compass or even a gps to help you. You can hunt animals and build a fire to cook the meat. Of course, building a fire at night is risky business. It attracts nearby zombies, but more importantly, other humans.

Even though zombies are dangerous, you eventually learn how to avoid them. Humans are another story. The game does not have a global chat (thank god) and there are no name tags hovering on top of the players, so you have no idea if a player is aggressive toward you or not. I usually choose to hide, if I see another player and he/she has not seen me yet. On some servers, there are organized "killing squads", that move in teams and their goal is to hunt other players and steal their shit. You are fucked if you run into these and they see you. There are friendly players too, of course, but I wouldn't trust anyone. Once, a player handed me water and let me stay in a barn he was occupying. Then shot me in the back of the head once I was comfortable.

Highly recommended game, even though it still buggy as hell. You sometimes get stuck in narrow doors, zombies can sometimes see you through walls and the inventory system is just awful. But it still alpha, so it's to be expected.

OxBlood Jul 2nd, 2012 03:10 AM

The Secret World. For an early access-peroid, there´s a lot of people around already. I don´t think, the game will last more than a year before going F2P but it´s pretty okay or even good. Realtime-Battles, interesting world and kind of creative quest-design for a change.

Wanna access the laptop of an Agent fronting as a normal Businessman but you don´t know his Password, only a hint? Look him up on the corporate website (which is on the normal net, the game has an ingame-browser) and put together the clues you have. There´s a lot of these quests along with stealth and dexterity-quests too, it´s pretty refreshing.

You can also mix an match all powers in the game since there´s no classes (but there ARE levels, no matter what the Devs claim) which is nice.

Negatives...Zones are seperated by lenghty loadingscreens, some quests are still buggy and for a game that values it´s outfits so much, there´s ONE clothing store in the game and you can´t even get a fucking tie there. I´m an Illuminati, alright? The others may be powerhungry partyanimals, but I wear a fucking suit in the field. Really now.

Dimnos Jul 5th, 2012 11:06 AM

Spoilers!

:\

Fathom Zero Jul 5th, 2012 11:11 AM

The derpiest heroes.

darkvare Jul 6th, 2012 01:30 AM

micro volts is the new free to play game on steam is pretty cool and it fits my cheapness for the time it's a third person shooter but you always spawn with a weapon of every kind and it has lots of customization one game and i already had my character looking like this

Guitar Woman Jul 7th, 2012 04:47 PM

Persona 2; never played any of these before. I'm glad they give you the option of just talking to monsters until they go away because A) the battle system is fucking awful and B) the conversations are generally hilarious. Shame you can't do it for boss battles.

Phoenix Gamma Jul 7th, 2012 06:42 PM

I think Emu told me in this thread that there's a way to make Persona 2's combat less bad. I didn't try it because Persona 3 Portable came out a little later and that game is way better.

If you want to play a good Persona game, either play the PSP version of Persona 3 (or the FES version if you don't have a PSP), or play Persona 4. Your mileage may vary on Persona 4 depending on how much you can tolerate Slice-of-Life bullshit and a really slow story (it literally has a two hour introduction before you get into the first proper battle. Not "exaggeration literally", I mean "literally literally".) Persona 3 is my personal favorite, but bought all three versions so I'm kind of a P3 whore.

I think I'm gonna play Arkham City. I never bought it and my coworker and I got in a big debate about the Nolan Batman films and now I just want to hear Mark Hamill laugh :<

Dimnos Jul 7th, 2012 09:08 PM

I didn't think any of the Persona games were on ps3. I thought they were all on ps2 and PSP.

Guitar Woman Jul 8th, 2012 01:28 AM

there's a spinoff fighting game, I think that's it.

Cedar Jul 11th, 2012 02:41 AM

the fighting game looks awesome

OxBlood Jul 11th, 2012 03:10 PM

Endless Space, Sins of a Solar Empire - Rebellion aaand Resonance which came out on GOG without me noticing...I preordered that thing a while back. So far it´s a nice-looking, more adult-themed adventure game.

Guitar Woman Jul 11th, 2012 06:53 PM

That DS remake of Final Fantasy 4 is fucking awesome. I didn't really care for this game before because the SNES version was kind of a trainwreck, but this shit's easily in my top three FFs; it's basically the same game with everything that was initially wrong given the boot or reworked to be less shitty (the script especially is no longer shallow Engrish tripe). It's gorgeous and the voice acting is great, the combat isn't patronizingly easy any more, the remixed music sounds fantastic, and shit even the math minigame for Rydia's retarded new Eidolon is fun.

I'd say I'm surprised by Squeenix suddenly remembering how to make good games, but it turns out this was outsourced to some company called Matrix Software. huh.

Esuohlim Jul 13th, 2012 01:59 AM

I've been playing a lot of SSB Melee lately because I'm subscribed to about 60 podcasts and I need to multitask to feel like they're worth listening to.

Chojin Jul 13th, 2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 760175)
That DS remake of Final Fantasy 4 is fucking awesome. I didn't really care for this game before because the SNES version was kind of a trainwreck, but this shit's easily in my top three FFs; it's basically the same game with everything that was initially wrong given the boot or reworked to be less shitty (the script especially is no longer shallow Engrish tripe). It's gorgeous and the voice acting is great, the combat isn't patronizingly easy any more, the remixed music sounds fantastic, and shit even the math minigame for Rydia's retarded new Eidolon is fun.

I'd say I'm surprised by Squeenix suddenly remembering how to make good games, but it turns out this was outsourced to some company called Matrix Software. huh.

i loved snes ff2 ;<

this sounds interesting though

MLE Jul 13th, 2012 10:53 PM

darkvare, I really enjoyed microvolts in small doses. I play it here and there with friends.

MarioRPG Jul 16th, 2012 09:07 PM

Just because it's the only one of the series I hadn't played. Also, he might be my favourite character from the games.

Dr. Boogie Jul 16th, 2012 09:39 PM

I got Dragon's Dogma a couple weeks ago, and I can't stop playing it.

Complaints include the awful quest system, wherein 95% of the quests are kill/gather quests, the lack of a modern fast travel system (spending a fortune on ferrystones is bs), and Capcom's stilted approach to storytelling that makes all the characters seem like robots and psychopaths.

The thing that's just started to bug me, though, is the companion AI. Even a simple ME-style command wheel would have been appreciated when my mage continues to put fire enchantments on my weapons while barking that fire is useless against an enemy we've fought maybe 30 times before.

The best came during one late-game battle where we took on a dragon: I had kitted out my mage servant with a bunch of potent ice spells for just such an occasion, but he seemed to be having some trouble pulling one off. So, I and the other two had to peck away at the thing because he kept putting fire enchants on our weapons. Then, all of a sudden, he decided to take his own advice and fire off one of the big ice spells I gave him. Half the dragon's health instantly disappeared, and the other half went a second later, and I sat there wondering why a mage who keeps asking me how he performed could be such a worthless fuck at times.

I guess I'm just glad the game is like Dead Rising, in that it starts off pretty tough, but you can level your way through the toughness. Otherwise, shitty AI might be a bigger problem.

darkvare Jul 17th, 2012 01:25 AM

you actually need your companions to go help other people so they can learn ehen to use the correct spells and sometimes even lead you on a safer shorter way to your goal

Dr. Boogie Jul 17th, 2012 09:46 PM

Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work, but in practice, not so much.

MLE Jul 17th, 2012 11:30 PM

Just played through "Dear Esther". Not really a game, but it's more like a movie that you're along for the ride. Roughly 90 minutes, and just as interesting as any good movie I've seen.

Other than that, the Sam and Max series is amazing ;<

OxBlood Jul 18th, 2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie (Post 760248)
Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work, but in practice, not so much.

It does get better over time but the Mages never get the buffing right which is why I mostly played classes that were not reliant on external buffs, like the Mystic Knight or the Magic Archer (best class imo).

Sure the game has some flaws but I can't remember when I last played somerhing that had 'Adventure!' written over it like that.

...okay, well Dark Souls, of course. But other than that...Dragons Dogma is still my Game of the year, easily. I don't think Borderlands 2 will be able to take the title away from DD...and X-com...I'll have to play that first ;)

Babs Jul 19th, 2012 07:42 PM

I can not stop playing final fantasy 12. I'm really compulsive about getting everything 100% completed. One of the hunts is a creature named yiazmat whoms HP is over 50 million. 4 hours into the battle and you realize none of this is worth it. Oh well, might as well go for the 100% completion.

darkvare Jul 19th, 2012 09:40 PM

i got the little big planet karting beta pretty much mario kart they even have a blue shell and it's blue too obviuosly gonna be the whole make your own mini games and tracks to hold it and of course it's gonna be plagued with mario kart tracks

Dimnos Jul 20th, 2012 09:42 AM

So.... Its mod nation racers with that scrotum guy?

Dimnos Jul 21st, 2012 10:41 PM

Khal, where is my Riven at?

kahljorn Jul 22nd, 2012 12:17 AM

:lol
i quit playing Riven after they changed the jungle :(

Guitar Woman Jul 23rd, 2012 11:37 AM

Spec Ops was really good, guys. Even if the gameplay is generic boring popup shooting and even if the final level with actual combat in it is complete trial and error shit, the story's worth it. Go play it.

Although, I should probably mention, if you're like, really into modern military shooters, I mean really into them and have a picture of a middle-eastern terrorist in a ski-mask as a dartboard and got those pro no-scope skillz are 14 years old, you probably will be pissed off by this game, because it hates you. I'm a little weirded out by the fact that it even has a competitive multiplayer mode where players kill each other for points, that seems pretty fucking hypocritical of it.

Mad Melvin Jul 24th, 2012 01:03 PM

Dead Island in co-op. I always thought that this was a buggy piece of shit based on the early videos, so I kinda forgot about this. It was on sale on Steam, so I decided to give it a go. Holy shit, this is really fun! Very addictive.

darkvare Jul 24th, 2012 03:49 PM

i tried playing dead island co-op on ps3 and found 0 people lol

ThrashO Jul 24th, 2012 11:20 PM

Ninja Gaiden 3 nes its so veiny

kahljorn Jul 25th, 2012 01:39 AM

deadisland is pretty fun but it was kind of buggy. for the first couple weeks on xbox live you couldn't join anybodies game unless you both started at the exact beginning of the game.

Phoenix Gamma Jul 26th, 2012 09:41 PM

I got Arkham City during the Steam sale. I was pretty indifferent to Arkham Asylum cause it felt like Diet Metroid with really crummy combat, but they improved just about everything. Holy shit. Only complaint is that Catwoman kinda sucks (also her steath suit is really squeaky. Not only is that not stealthy, it kinda makes her less "sexy predator" and more "creepy woman crawling around back alleys".)

Guitar Woman Jul 27th, 2012 05:41 PM

I decided that my childhood was seriously lacking in Mortal Kombat, and picked up MK9 to bestow upon my younger brother. It's fucking awesome and I feel I am carrying on a grand tradition when cutting him in half with my rotating sawblade hat.

I also like how the single-player mode has you play as a whole bunch of different characters instead of just sticking to one, that way you get a little variety in gameplay and are forced to at least be decent with like half of the guys.

darkvare Jul 31st, 2012 07:35 PM

i guess everyone was right the old republic is going free to play till level 50
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/...g-free-to-play

Dr. Boogie Aug 5th, 2012 10:14 PM

Played through Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. A decently-fun Metroid-style game that you can tear through in about 3.5 hours, and then never play again.

Then went for Hack Slash Loot. Imagine a Rogue-like game where all you can do is attack enemies and pickup individual pieces of loot. No leveling, no skills, no inventory, no healing, no strategy whatsoever.

It might be the only time I've regretted paying $3.50 for a game.

Fathom Zero Aug 5th, 2012 11:16 PM

Dungeons of Dredmor better, then?

Dr. Boogie Aug 5th, 2012 11:35 PM

Leagues. The devs for DoD had the opposite idea: improve on the rogue-like concept by adding features.

Mad Melvin Aug 6th, 2012 08:01 AM

Still playing Day Z. Nothing but Day Z. This game is so goddamn stressful but I can't stop. Never played anything like this. Yesterday my character was finally killed by a couple of bandits who tried to rob me. I knew I didn't stand a chance, but at least I went down guns blazing. It was kind of a relief really. The more rare stuff you have, the more you worry about getting killed.

Dimnos Aug 6th, 2012 08:22 AM

That's a mod for what game again?

Mad Melvin Aug 6th, 2012 10:49 AM

Arma II. The mod itself is free and the makers are making it into a retail game. The mod is just there to show the potential and it has loads of it.

kahljorn Aug 6th, 2012 09:10 PM

did you kill anyone before you died?

we need an imockery gang to rob people with

do you need the game to play the mod?

Mad Melvin Aug 7th, 2012 01:21 AM

I got one of the robbers before I died. There were propably three or four of them and the whole thing was over in seconds. I generally try not to be an asshole towards other players, but I am starting to change my mind about that.

You need the game, but I believe there is a free version of Arma II. Don't know how that works with the mod, though. I bought mine from Steam, when it was on sale. You need the Arma II: Combined Operations pack, which includes Operation Arrowhead add-on.

10,000 Volt Ghost Aug 7th, 2012 02:54 AM

I just watched a half hour of dayZ videos and it looks like a lot of walking around.

Mad Melvin Aug 7th, 2012 04:05 AM

You are right. There is a lot of walking. Or driving, if you manage to obtain a vehicle. But what the videos don't show you is the atmosphere and the feeling of "being there". As survival games go, this is the shit. The learning curve is kinda steep and you are going to live for maybe 20 minutes at a time at first. But once you get the hang of it, there is no going back.

For those intrested, basic tips: trust no one, deer stands and barns are the places to loot in the beginning, Lee Enfield is also known as the "dinner bell" so careful with it, never run when standing up if near a village/town, avoid open fields, avoid airfields, learn the horrible inventory system, study this map http://dayzdb.com/map

Dimnos Aug 7th, 2012 02:59 PM

Is there any sort of way to group up with friends? Didn't you say before it doesn't even ID players vs NPCs?

darkvare Aug 7th, 2012 05:23 PM

i guess a meeting point in an specific time would be the best option

Fathom Zero Aug 7th, 2012 05:24 PM

WHO'S GOING TO CHERNO

ANYONE GOING TO CHERNO

LET'S GO TO CHERNO

Mad Melvin Aug 7th, 2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 760929)
WHO'S GOING TO CHERNO

ANYONE GOING TO CHERNO

LET'S GO TO CHERNO

That's what the game was like at first, but most servers have the global chat disabled. Thank god.

As for the playing in a group part, you have no way of knowing where the other players are, so you'll need Mumble/Ventrilo/Skype whatever for communication. Then just set up a meeting point. To navigate, just alt+tab from time to time and check the map I posted earlier. You can find a map in the game as well, but it is pretty rare.