I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I-Mockery Chat (Lube up those lips) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8799)

T-Rex Apr 18th, 2008 05:59 AM

We had an Earthquake here about a month ago. It wasn't a big one at all. It was a sad turn of events for me that I only found out through other people's Facebook status exactly what it was.

T-Rex Apr 18th, 2008 06:39 AM

My friend asked me a question and now she's got me thinking about it too:

If you were born blind, would you be able to see anything in a dream? Perhaps you wouldn't see a dog or a house, but maybe a series of abstract images? Also, If you became blind at an early age, would you have access to only the colours you saw when you had vision?

MetalMilitia Apr 18th, 2008 07:08 AM

ust because you've not seen something it doesn't mean you don't know what it looks like. A blind person probably has a pretty good mental image of what, say, a dog looks like from hearing them being described, touching them etc.

Once you know kind of what things generally look like your brain will fill in the gaps. If you consider some of your most vivid dreams you'll probably find that many of the places you go or people you meet are not taken from real life experiences but your brain still knows what they should look like from the range of experiences you've had throughout your life.

ADDED: The only thing which might be radically different from a non-blind person would be, as you say, colour because I don't know if you can really explain a colour without the frame of reference of other colours.

T-Rex Apr 18th, 2008 07:25 AM

Yeah, I can understand how a blind person would be much better at figuring out how something would look by feeling it, but being blind form birth would mean they have no colour references. If you can't colour something, how would you see it? Their dreams would be about feeling stuff?

MetalMilitia Apr 18th, 2008 08:41 AM

Esuohlim Apr 18th, 2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 546214)
I HAVE TO GIVE A PRESENTATION ON STUFF I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TALK ABOUT IN 11 DAYS AND IT'S FRANKLY SCARING THE SHIT OUT OF ME

Oh god this day has finally arrived :( :(

I've been so nervous I've had to take a shit about 3 times in the last 5 hours >:

Oh no I don't know what I'm doing what the hell am I doing thinking I can pull this off without vomitting all over my professor's computer oh god fuck. FUCK >:

Esuohlim Apr 18th, 2008 09:41 AM

I-MOCK SUICIDE NOTE

I AM A PUSSY

BYE FAGS :(

MetalMilitia Apr 18th, 2008 10:13 AM

Surely had you spent the past 11 days mastering the subject which you are talking about today you'd no longer be nervous?

Kind of like how in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey they go back in time to master the electric guitar for 6 years... but for 11 days and not involving time travel.

added: after "...which you are talking about today..." there is an implicit "...instead of dicking around on the internet", btw.

T-Rex Apr 18th, 2008 10:35 AM

Sir! Do you not realise the consequences of your unseemly actions?

Chojin Apr 18th, 2008 10:48 AM

OH NOOOOOO A PRESENTAAAAATION

GARGLE GARGLE GARGLE

Sethomas Apr 18th, 2008 10:59 AM

I hope I get yelled at today for being slow about updating IU's earthquake page. 'Cuz, uh, I guess other people felt it too.

Asila Apr 18th, 2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

I hope I get yelled at today for being slow about updating IU's earthquake page. 'Cuz, uh, I guess other people felt it too.
It's great that the implication in my mind is that you were kind of hoping that no one else would notice.

executioneer Apr 18th, 2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Rex (Post 550163)
My friend asked me a question and now she's got me thinking about it too:

If you were born blind, would you be able to see anything in a dream? Perhaps you wouldn't see a dog or a house, but maybe a series of abstract images? Also, If you became blind at an early age, would you have access to only the colours you saw when you had vision?

i would imagine that if you had never had sight that the visual cortex in your brain would be kind of underdeveloped due to lack of stimulus :/

in other words, iunno

Sethomas Apr 18th, 2008 11:47 AM

Well, when I go in to work at the Geology Department I typically have several assignments and I can just kind of pick at whatever I feel like. Since two weeks ago we had a seismology seminar, one of the professor's had been wanting me to pick up the pace with updating the program website. Every other day I end up screaming at people, "I'm NOT a seismologist! I don't WANT TO BE a seismologist!" then run crying down the stairs.

Pub Lover Apr 18th, 2008 12:11 PM

I like the seismology emails, when ever one happens somewhere interesting there is always a debate about how big the quake was. This morning as I check my emails half of them are proposals & then retractions on the size ofthe Illinois quake. One of the retractions was in all caps which makes me think they're hand written rather than bot generated. If so, that guy was pissed off.

Asila Apr 18th, 2008 12:11 PM

You're the Sir Doyle of the geological set. Though thanks for reminding me that I haven't finished my earthquake assignment yet :(

Grislygus Apr 18th, 2008 12:13 PM

The breakfast on page 1533 looks delicious

Grislygus Apr 18th, 2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 550142)
So yeah.... Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors...

Man, Steinbeck's the greatest example of how depression can really fucking interfere with good work

I love Cannery Row, though :(

Sethomas Apr 18th, 2008 12:17 PM

Now I just imagine going to geology just long enough to destroy all of IU's seismograph documentation that it ever happened, that way my bosses won't know about it. At some point one of them would sit me down and tell me what I did wrong, and that he's mad, but that he still loves me very much and nothing can change that. I'll be grounded for two weeks, though, and at the end I'll tell Stephanie and Uncle Jessie that I'm glad they stood up for me..

Sethomas Apr 18th, 2008 12:18 PM

Steinbeck's the greatest example of how depression can really fucking interfere with good work

Ha! See, if the American Depression never happened, nobody today would remember who Steinbeck was.

Pub Lover Apr 18th, 2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Rex (Post 550168)
A movie about America invading Japan.

Cue cliched spinning Newspaper on screen.

American President on Headline quoted, "All Your Base Are Belong To Us!".

Japanese President who was captured by America quoted, "Don't Tase Me Bro!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 550001)
T-Rex on the other hand I don't actually hate yet so idk

Yet?

Grislygus Apr 18th, 2008 12:26 PM

Not THE depression, seth, MENTAL depression

I mean, fer chrissakes, the Black Pearl is relevant and all, but after a certain point it gets ridiculous

Maybe it's because I went on a Steinbeck kick and read everything in a few months, I dunno

Zomboid Apr 18th, 2008 12:36 PM

HOW DID THE PRESENTATION GO?

Sethomas Apr 18th, 2008 12:38 PM

Friend/Enemy: That's whack. Ayers was a part of the Weatherman organization and he gets to teach at U of C*? All you did was try to kill a bitch and they won't let you in? WEAK!!!

*He actually teaches at UofI-Chicago, and lives in the U(C) neighborhood.

Esuohlim Apr 18th, 2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomboid (Post 550212)
HOW DID THE PRESENTATION GO?

WHO GIVES A SHIT

PUBLIC SPEAKING IS FOR THE BIRDS