I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I-Mockery Chat (Lube up those lips) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8799)

Zhukov Jul 14th, 2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 731677)
That's nice.

Get a new girlfriend, yet?

Nah.

They're playing "My boomerang wont come back" on the radio. It's probably the most racist song I've ever heard.

Chojin Jul 14th, 2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 731673)
I found out I was denied over $10,000 in financial aid because I didn't send somebody a letter two years ago and nobody made mention of it to me. So I'm faxing the letter today. The man in me should just scrawl WTF in big letters on paper and fax that instead.

But it's probably better this way.

delegate and senatorial scholarships?

same shit happened to me, only i got denied when i applied

Fathom Zero Jul 14th, 2011 12:21 PM

Not even that amazing. It's a year's worth of aid from the FAFSA. And it wasn't the gov. that fucked it up - it was my school.

The thing is that I couldn't have done worse my first semester if I had gone on a shooting spree at my school, so my academic progress was questionable after that. Thus, they put ALL financial aid on hold.

Not that they bothered to tell me this in any of the many frantic phone calls, nor the process to remove such a thing a year and a half later. After I've been regularly getting high marks and money has become more and more of an issue for me. Naw, telling me when it would have been prudent was too fucking germane for them.

elx Jul 14th, 2011 12:25 PM

so I guess it's not actually illegal to make people work 12+ hours without a break or a lunch or anything, not so bad if you're in an office and stuff I guess but there should be something in place to protect service people from being taken advantage of. like construction workers/landscappers/etc.

Chojin Jul 14th, 2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elx (Post 731694)
so I guess it's not actually illegal to make people work 12+ hours without a break or a lunch or anything, not so bad if you're in an office and stuff I guess but there should be something in place to protect service people from being taken advantage of. like construction workers/landscappers/etc.

it's illegal in the US

you are required to give people a 30 minute break if they work for over 5 hours

however you are not required to pay them for that break

Zhukov Jul 14th, 2011 12:34 PM

I don't know about the land of the free, but it's illegal here unless the worker asks for it. There's something called the 8 hour day that unions fought for about 150 years ago, and workers are entitled to a 30-60 minute lunch break if they work more than 4 and a half hours.

I'm guessing you guys don't have that.

EDIT: OK you do. Good.

elx Jul 14th, 2011 12:42 PM

federal law =/= state law?

Zhukov Jul 14th, 2011 12:46 PM

"Employees 18 years of age and older can be required to work as many hours as an employer wants."

Christ. Why isn't blood running in the streets of North Carolina? This really is beyond disgusting if it's true.

Chojin Jul 14th, 2011 12:54 PM

yeah it might be state law, i've never bothered to check

elx Jul 14th, 2011 12:59 PM

:(

Dixie Jul 14th, 2011 01:13 PM

All the labor jobs I had in NC were long hours, but I only had to work a couple days a week. Most of the time there's a trade off. Work for 12 hours a day for 3 days and get 4 days off wasn't so bad. If they don't offer benefits, then you know the kind of company you're working for. Even better, NC is not a union-friendly state in most cases. And Zhukov, employers can ask someone to work as many hours as they want, but those same employers do not want to pay overtime so they will likely not let people get overtime.

I'm in Pennsylvania now, and I have a security job in the mountains twice a year where I work 12-15 hour days on post for a week. No real breaks though. We eat and smoke on post. We just have to get someone to watch our post when we have to find a bathroom.

executioneer Jul 14th, 2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elx (Post 731702)
federal law =/= state law?

move to a good state

Aaarg Jul 14th, 2011 03:09 PM

western north carolina is beautiful though!

DIXIE where in pennsylvania?

Grislygus Jul 14th, 2011 04:30 PM

So I just found out that Japan got a gorgeous, full-blown Samurai Shodown RPG back in the day, where you could just perform the fighting moves instead of selecting them from a menu

Then I found out immediately that a fan translation for it was completed

Then i found out it wasn't actually completed, found a thread by the creator, which started in 2008 and continued right up to 06-24-2011, 10:45 PM, without any major developments from the person supposedly making it

Fuuuuuck

Dixie Jul 14th, 2011 04:32 PM

In Philthadelphia these days :)

Kitsa Jul 14th, 2011 04:33 PM

Working on a doozie for you guys.

WhiteRat Jul 14th, 2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 731705)
yeah it might be state law, i've never bothered to check

I'm fairly certain that in Minnesota it's a 15 minute break ever 4 hours if you are working 8 hours or more....or something like that. Either way I informed my boss of this one day. He reluctantly gave me the break because he expects someone to bar tend for 10 hours with no breaks. My boss is a giant prick.

Grislygus Jul 14th, 2011 04:35 PM

Sorry, wasn't sure where to bitch about that. Sure as hell wasn't making a thread for it, but JESUS MY SOUL HURTS <3 SAMURAI SHODOWN OH GOD but I thought NC was the more civilized of the two underdeveloped halfstates that we refer to as the Carolinas?

Grislygus Jul 14th, 2011 04:36 PM

Bartending for ten hours without a break? Busy or mellow bar, I don't know if I could handle the idiot fucking conversations that I hear in slow bars for ten hours

Otto Jul 14th, 2011 04:41 PM

My dad once forced me to apply for a job at the local Wal-Mart, I got as far as the "we're not anti-union, we're pro-employee!" training video before I put on my hat and coat and walked out of the store (in the middle of the video). Cashiering at a smaller grocery store may suck, but at least they don't pull shit like Wal-Mart.

Gus: South and North Carolina are pretty much just the inbred conjoined twins that the United States makes live in the basement.

WhiteRat Jul 14th, 2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 731741)
Bartending for ten hours without a break? Busy or mellow bar, I don't know if I could handle the idiot fucking conversations that I hear in slow bars for ten hours

The days where i'm putting in 10 hours are when i'm banquet bartending a wedding or convention. I'm not actually standing there for 10 hours, more like 8.5 because it usually takes an hour and a half to set up. Some weddings can be extremely busy and when that happens you'll be working with someone else but when they are slow, which happens less often than not, you are standing there twiddling your thumbs staring at drunk hot chicks all night. Surprisingly that can get very boring and standing there doing nothing for several hours not making any money can be agonizing, especially considering that you generally hear the same fucking wedding and dance songs every wedding shift.

Dixie Jul 14th, 2011 04:44 PM

I loved NC, crappy labor laws and all, but I love my fiance even more, so here I am.
Bartending for 10 hours seems like an endurance test. Bleeeeeeeeh

No worries Gus, your nerdgasms and heartbreaks are safe with us...mostly.

Dixie Jul 14th, 2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 731743)
My dad once forced me to apply for a job at the local Wal-Mart, I got as far as the "we're not anti-union, we're pro-employee!" training video before I put on my hat and coat and walked out of the store (in the middle of the video). Cashiering at a smaller grocery store may suck, but at least they don't pull shit like Wal-Mart.

Gus: South and North Carolina are pretty much just the inbred conjoined twins that the United States makes live in the basement.

Otto, I have to disagree. NC and SC have redeeming factors. You're thinking of Arkansas.

Otto Jul 14th, 2011 04:46 PM

I live in SC, I'm pretty sure the reason I have to get a permit to dig is because the state is located directly above Hell.

WhiteRat Jul 14th, 2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie (Post 731745)
I loved NC, crappy labor laws and all, but I love my fiance even more, so here I am.
Bartending for 10 hours seems like an endurance test. Bleeeeeeeeh

Tomorrow i'm scheduled to work a wedding from 3:30pm to 2am. I've got someone else with me but if it's not busy I might be putting the gun to my head.