I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I-Mockery Chat (Lube up those lips) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8799)

Chojin Dec 9th, 2007 01:08 PM

Check out the gaming forum for the answers to this secret

Sethomas Dec 10th, 2007 02:29 AM

So, I was reading different editions of Wikinews, and in a French article about the Russian elections I noticed that the bloke we anglophones refer to as "Vladimir Putin" has his surname spelled in French as "Poutine". I found this a bit odd, as Poutine is a Québecois staple food based on french fries, curds, and gravy. I looked up its etymology, which seems to be obscure but one guy claiming to have invented the dish said of it that it looked like "une maudite poutine", meaning "a damned mess" (Wikipedia translated it, "a hell of a mess", but I don't agree with that.)

I thought it would be hilarious if l'Academie Française made a scathing political commentary on how to translate Putin's name from the Cyrillic alphabet, but I asked my Russian/Georgian friend how the Cyrillic form of his name is pronounced. She said "Poo-teen", which matches the French spelling exactly in terms of phonetics.

Eh, it was a fun thought while it lasted.

bigtimecow Dec 10th, 2007 08:24 AM

poutines are so delicious

my first trip into canada me and my friends got two pizzas and two orders of poutines and the nice french lady was in love with us americans

Zomboid Dec 10th, 2007 03:14 PM

The french seem to pronounce it more like poo-tin and the people who say it in english say poo-tine. They're good in moderation. It's pretty much one of the most fattening dishes available and that's made even worse by the fact that you can upgrade your meal's fries to a poutine in a lot of restaurants like a&w and kfc.

MarioRPG Dec 10th, 2007 03:48 PM

i say it like poo-teen

JediScum Dec 10th, 2007 06:07 PM

I had never heard of poutine until almost two years ago. I was a prep cook at a cafe and the manager was a Canadian female, who would, on occasion, have themed parties for the employees where food could be brought in. One day I saw a big bag of fries and cheese curds in the the walk in (we didn't sell either) and thought it strange. Then later, the manager comes up to me and asks if I'd like some, but I thought she said, "Would you like some POONTANG". I have no idea what kind of face I made but, I said "What?!?" Luckily, no weird "Three's Company" misunderstanding happened.

Anyway, yeah, poutine is good stuff.

bigtimecow Dec 11th, 2007 12:02 AM

:bape

damnit it doesn't work anymore :(

Chojin Dec 11th, 2007 01:44 PM

is anyone else gonna be relieved when we have a separate forum for articles?

Mockery Dec 11th, 2007 01:54 PM

I KNOW I WILL BE! :picklehat

RaNkeri Dec 11th, 2007 02:09 PM

Well, it'll definitely help you to find the older ones, so count me in. :imock

Guitar Woman Dec 11th, 2007 02:55 PM

I just hope we keep the ignore feature. Now that Seven Force is back I'm using it all the time!

Sethomas Dec 12th, 2007 05:17 AM

Oh shit, I was looking through my old email account for a file, and I came across a forward from my father. It was sent to him from the central office of where he works.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Clarian Health News (BROADCAST EMAIL)
> Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 5:33 PM
> To: All Clarian
> Subject: Missing brain cells
>
> Cell Systems shipped human brain cells to Methodist on Wednesday 11/13. They did not make their destination of E504 and we suspect that they were delivered to an incorrect location. Please check your yellow delivery documents for purchase order number 404289 or a Fedex from Cell Systems that does
> not belong to your area.
> Please contact Dr. Maria Rizzo on pager 312-5954 should you have this package.

Holy shit, my dad works for zombies with mail delivery problems. And pagers!

Guitar Woman Dec 12th, 2007 06:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_finger

lol

Pub Lover Dec 13th, 2007 03:10 PM

What I did today: I sat next to a really beautiful woman for two 10 hour long haul flights.
How I made it creepy: I watched her sleep for most of the first flight, & adored her face.
How I live with myself: When I finally spoke to her midway through the second flight, her effortless smile transformed the features I knew so well into a heartstoppingly perfect moment. I gave her my pillow, & said she could lean on my shoulder. She did, but I was too cowardly to speak to her again.

I still miss you, beautiful girl in Seat 48D, Flight QF002. :tear

Esuohlim Dec 13th, 2007 03:28 PM

:(

Rongi Dec 13th, 2007 03:34 PM

dude :(

Seven Force Dec 13th, 2007 03:59 PM

You're my role model Pub :tear

bigtimecow Dec 13th, 2007 05:39 PM

puuuuuuuuub :(

Guitar Woman Dec 13th, 2007 06:09 PM

Something similar has happened to me a couple of times actually ;_;

Terra Dec 13th, 2007 11:47 PM

i would eat my left foot to have that encounter with almost any guy at this moment

bigtimecow Dec 13th, 2007 11:48 PM

this subject just turned GAY

Zomboid Dec 13th, 2007 11:51 PM

Terra if you wanna send me nudie pics I will be nice to you and pm you sweet nothings.

Terra Dec 13th, 2007 11:53 PM

i thought i sent those to you already

Zomboid Dec 13th, 2007 11:54 PM

I think I would remember that.

Terra Dec 13th, 2007 11:55 PM

I did send them to you.
long ago.