I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics 'n Books (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   WHAT are you reading right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2594)

Brandon May 21st, 2004 09:38 PM

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

huond May 21st, 2004 09:48 PM

Mike Nelson's Mind Over Matters

this book is making me lol a lot :(

ProfessorCool May 21st, 2004 10:15 PM

That's a fucking great book :)

Big McLargehuge May 24th, 2004 02:36 AM

"From the Dust Returned" by Ray Bradbury and "Radio Free Albumuth" by Philip k. Dick, andi am trying to get a copy of "Breakfast of Champions" but my local library doesn't have it :(

kellychaos May 24th, 2004 04:27 PM

Have you tried asking the librarian if he/she can get the book from one of the other libraries in the county? From what I understand, most library systems are equipped to do that these days. In my county, it usually only takes a couple of days to get whateve book I request if they have it.

huond Jun 19th, 2004 04:55 PM

I am about to finish A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy O'Toole. Its too bad he only wrote 2 books, this was really good and I heard his other isn't that great :(

LacrimansTaurne Jun 19th, 2004 06:32 PM

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

huond Jun 19th, 2004 06:46 PM

i went to a david sedaris reading a couple days ago :( i didn't buy his book though

glowbelly Jun 19th, 2004 07:15 PM

you should have. it's damn funny.

i'm STILL reading mason and dixon by pynchon. i doubt i'll ever finish that one.

huond Jun 19th, 2004 07:27 PM

i will wait till i can get it cheap, i still need to read a bunch of his other books. I would have been waiting for like 3 hours to get it signed. :/

kellychaos Jun 21st, 2004 03:11 PM

JARHEAD: A Marine's Chronicle of the Gulf War
and Other Battles
by Anthony Swofford

The following review is fairly accurate and pasted here mostly because I'm too lazy to write one myself:

Quote:

"In Jarhead, Anthony Swofford has written a powerful and riveting memoir of his life, particularly his involvement as a Marine during the first Persian Gulf war. He recounts his experiences in the Marine culture, the blood lust, the alternating boredom and terror, and the absurd moments including wearing camouflage uniforms because their desert ones hadn't arrived yet. He watched the burning wells rain oil on the desert and the desecration of Iraqi corpses. At the same time he became aware that becoming a man involved more than becoming a soldier. The New York Times says, "By turns profane and lyrical, swaggering and ruminative, Jarhead -- referring to the marines' 'high-and-tight' haircuts, which make their heads look like jars -- is not only the most powerful memoir to emerge thus far from the last gulf war, but also a searing contribution to the literature of combat."

the[Hitman] Jun 28th, 2004 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huond
i will wait till i can get it cheap, i still need to read a bunch of his other books. I would have been waiting for like 3 hours to get it signed. :/

people actually go and get books signed still....

no new writers are worth the effort in my opinion but im an oldschool sci-fi/post apoc person.

im reading Sixth Column by Robert A. Heinlein, The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett and Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

GADZOOKS Jun 28th, 2004 06:00 PM

You should read more fiction, like for you, Planned Pregnancy.

the[Hitman] Jun 28th, 2004 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GADZOOKS
You should read more fiction, like for you, Planned Pregnancy.

i haven't decided if i want to sink to your level yet cutie.

GADZOOKS Jun 28th, 2004 06:22 PM

Are you talking to me???

kellychaos Jun 29th, 2004 02:51 PM

RESPECT! >:

Big McLargehuge Jun 29th, 2004 04:19 PM

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas it makes me wanna do drugs :(

Emu Jun 29th, 2004 05:09 PM

I'M READING THIS THREAD :lol :lol

the[Hitman] Jun 29th, 2004 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas it makes me wanna do drugs :(

that book was absolutely terrible.

summed up "look at me, im a book about drug use who is over sensationalized by media and retarded teenages alike".

Big McLargehuge Jun 30th, 2004 02:08 AM

I like it, sensationalism aside.

and it is not my usual cup of tea, i tend to lean towards good science fiction (ie Bradbury, Sturgeon, Dick) and "literature".

Big McLargehuge Jul 1st, 2004 08:02 PM

look at that fag ^ :lol

stong bah Jul 1st, 2004 09:34 PM

Right now I'm reading Around the World in 80 Days (yeah shut up).

Anonymous Jul 1st, 2004 10:12 PM

Incest Weekly

kellychaos Jul 3rd, 2004 10:47 AM

You on the cover?

the[Hitman] Jul 3rd, 2004 04:24 PM

he's under the cover silly.