Thread: A life wasted
View Single Post
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
So what is the goal of civilization? To progress the human species?

The American Heritage defines it as "An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions."

What part of that requires a military buildup?

Is it to defend civilization from those who prefer barbarism? Hardly. It is so that a group of jingoes can impose their view of civilization upon dissimilarly minded group of jingoes. And feel free to put the word "patriots" in place of whichever group with whom you sympathize.

Frankly, I'd welcome a one-world government that claimed to cherish the same values America claims to cherish. However, I remain cynical, and believe that it would merely turn upon itself, with the usual petty power plays among the leaders and acts of terrorism from dissidents.

The human species is very succeptible to power-madness. The militaries of the world are ultimately a symptom of this sickness.
yes, one of the goals of civilisation is to advance the human race through its own development. another goal is to sustain itself and survive. remember one of the primary reasons that Rome fell was that it could not protect itself. Byzantium suffered the same fate at the hand of Islamic invaders.

civilisations do not stand on the good will of those around them, to believe that is the worst sort of ignorance.

jingoism. I love that word. JINGO JINGO!

so you have no taste for imperialism? I suppose I can see that, but I can't agree with it.