View Single Post
Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 02:47 PM       
For a number of reasons, many of the best American shows, particularly sketch shows, don't actually make it here.

Generally I think American writers approach comedy in a different way, and there's a greater appreciation of how comedy is constructed than here. For some reason, when I try to introduce things like, say, Mr. Show to people, there's generally a reaction against building the comedy around a premise that doesn't pay off straight away. It seems to me that most British people have a very narrow enjoyment for one-liners that can be laughed at in or out of context, and character based sketches; not through any fault of their own, but just because that's how British TV has raised them. When the most popular British sketch show for years is Little Britain, and is the example by which all other shows are measured, you know you're in trouble. The possibility of even having a sketch where the punch line isn't a catch phrase is a completely foreign concept here.

There are other factors to consider too, such as references and parodies that can't be understood, and that could explain why animated shows are so much more popular than the live action ones; Family Guy can throw so many references in and lump them in with visual humour so that it can be enjoyed by a British audience on at least some level, as opposed to an episode of Mystery Science Theater where 45 minutes could go by with the audience not understanding a single joke.

Of course, that's all an exaggeration to some extent, but it's not far from the truth. It may stem from our seriously out dated pride at supposedly having a better sense of humour than the Americans. Ignorance is bliss and all that.