View Single Post
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM       
Letters From Iwo Jima - I was/am completely blown away by this film. Such an unrelentingly bleak look at the war in the pacific. No glamour, glory or sugar coating.

Redbelt - Had the possibility to be great but it seems like it needed to be an hour longer. Too many plot points seemed rushed which led to an unsatisfying and somewhat confusing ending.

Stranger than fiction - Pretty good film overall. Nice to see Will Ferrel playing a character which isn't completely stupid. No sports either.

Fool's Gold - Not awful but not great either. The problem I have with films like this and National Treasure is that everything works out way too easily and quickly. If you think about an Indiana Jones film the process of solving a mystery is truly epic. In Fools Gold everything just falls into place with no effort whatsoever. There is also a sub-plot about a spoilt, rich Paris Hilton type who find a new appreciation for her father and the pursuit of knowledge but it's completely lost in the shuffle. This is a shame because I'm tempted to say that would've been a film I'd rather have watched.

The Flock - When I watched this I sort of enjoyed it, but the more I think about it the more things annoy me. It's like the message it's trying to convey is "There aren't enough people making sure your kids are safe so you might as well accept that ten thousand paedophiles are going to rape them". It's all a bit alarmist and over the top.