Thread: HEADLINE NEWS
View Single Post
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM       
I don't normally laugh at a man dying, but this one I made an exception for

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Town of Onondaga, NY – A Parish man who was participating in a motorcycle helmet protest ride was killed this afternoon when he went over the handlebars of his motorcycle and injured his head on the pavement, state police said.

Philip A. Contos, 55, of 45 East St., Parish, was not wearing a helmet while driving a 1983 Harley Davidson motorcycle south on Route 11 in Onondaga with a large group of other motorcyclists, troopers said.

About 1:30 p.m., troopers said, Contos hit his brakes, the motorcycle fishtailed and went out of control and Contos went over the handlebars.

Contos was taken to Upstate University Hospital where he was pronounced dead, troopers said.

Evidence at the scene and information from the attending physician indicate Contos would have survived if he had been wearing a Department of Transportation approved helmet, troopers said.
The protest in which Contos was riding was organized by American Bikers Aimed Towards Education, Trooper Jack Keller said.

So in summary, he was protesting a law requiring that one wears a helmet, and dies of head trauma on a motorcycle while doing so.

Personally I am anti helmet laws, but pro wearing helmets by choice, because if you are dumbass enough to go at high speeds without head protection, then I don't want you peeing your DNA in my gene pool, and helmet laws keep those dumbasses alive. That being said, I have to laugh at the story because of the irony.