View Single Post
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM       
I was just going through my folder of archived text files and came across this. I think it was a PM or post I made in response to someone complaining about Mr. Adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11/29/2006
Thank you for reporting this. We've been tracking Mr. Ernest Whittling (currently posting as mradventure, it would seem) for the better part of 4 years now. He always seems to come back under handles that begin with 'mr' and end with some sort of whimsical, childish noun. What I can tell you for now is to not panic, as he probably doesn't know where you live yet. This could, however, change if you reveal any additional personal information. Deleting your info was a good start, but I would suggest you maybe throw him a few 'red herrings' to get him on the wrong track.

Whittling was something of a B-celebrity serial killer in the early 1980s, with such famous cases as the 'Jonesboro Incident' and the cynically named 'Missing Chums Mystery' (the latter of which has since been adapted to book form). His signature style of keratotic dismemberment has been largely touted as one of the 'top 10 worst ways to go' (source: yahoo! internet life). As a message board, we are more or less defenseless to attacks such as the ones you have suffered, due to the anonymity the internet affords, and it's easy enough for internet criminals like Whittling to register multiple accounts in lieu of IP bans. Besides, there are certain advantages to letting these people further incriminate themselves - It all stacks up in their legal portfolio and they may even give away personally-identifible information, such as the information that was retrieved from your website.

But here's where you come in: If you could further exacerbate the situation, Whittling may accidentally reveal some of that information and we could put him away for good. I've already activated the post logger for all messages posted from both your and his accounts, so getting him to slip up just once would give us the window of opportunity we need.

Above all else, please remain calm as we work through this ordeal. Whittling has not made a confirmed kill since December 23rd, 1992, and there's no indication he will do so again in the near future.